PDA

View Full Version : RROD false alarm

Cyburn360
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
yesterday, when I turned on my 360, I got the RROD, but when I unplugged the power cable and scart cable ans put them back in, it was fine.

Thing that worries me is that I bought the 360 arcade on wednesday 30th december, so it was only 2 days since I bought it.

Could be that the 360 was cooling down, since it was a hour since I played it last when it goes the false alarm.

GreaseMonkeyGB
01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
First off, welcome to xbox 360 :D Here's hoping you earn many more achivements to come:)

On topic, this happened to me a few times on my old 360. I got had a premium before and got a new elite for xmas which i've had no problems so far (touch wood). But when I had my premium it used to get hot after an hour or two and used to show a the RROD. But like you, I just unplugged everything and it was fine. Always try to keep the place your 360 is in well ventelated, and don't keep it squashed together between other consoles, books or something other wise it's just surrounded by it's own heat lol.

Glad yours was just a false alarm and you didn't become another member of the 'I got the RROD' group, which is pretty big haha

Q ipoddy Q
01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
You can get RROD if your cables are slightly unplugged, this has happened to me a few times and my 360 is fine.

I M1K3Y B I
01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I would say it was definately the cables if it is only 2 days old.

If it wasn't the cables that would have to be a new record for the quickest RRoD :p

Cyburn360
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Im guessing it was the cables being slightly loose or just turning in on again soon after playing.

If there was a visual difference between the "false RROD" and the permanent RROD that would be great.

sometimes, the cables seem to come loose every few days and this happens, not really a problem in a way.

balance13
01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
It happens every few days? how can your wiring be that loose, that has never happened to me except when my 360 actually died.

Cyburn360
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
It happens every few days? how can your wiring be that loose, that has never happened to me except when my 360 actually died.

Could be sometimes I move my 360, to put a ethernet cable in the 360, as the modem is in the living room and the xbox 360 is in my bedroom.

v_thorne
01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
The RRoD you get from loose cables is different. If you're moving your xbox to put an ethernet cable in, and the hook up comes loose, you will get 4 lights instead of 3.

Once you get 3 flashing red lights, watch out. The end is there, or neigh.

Capn Doug
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I might be slightly concerned, but not seriously. Microsoft has a very good warranty program, at least in Canada. I sent mine off for repairs in November even though I could still get it to work. I had a refurbisherd one sent to me in less than 2 weeks. If it is just the cables, they may send you replacements. I move my XBox with some frequency and have never had this problem.

Cyburn360
01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
thing is, it doesnt happen when I turn it on after I put the ethernet cable in, and I though 4 red lights only happened on non-HDMI models.

Besides, I havent had any other problems like the console heating up, games crashing, disc reading problems, so I doubt its RROD and I got the console new under 2 weeks ago.

v_thorne
01-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah but when you move your console, if the HDMI cable is too tight and pulls, it may pull out slightly and cause this.

Lord Yamikage
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM
[....]Thing that worries me is that I bought the 360 arcade on wednesday 30th december, so it was only 2 days since I bought it.[....]

Ha ha, lol-lol, imagine having RROD after only two days! My God! The cruelty! I'd shock myself if I thought my Xbox was getting RROD after only two days, because I must be dreaming.

Rebmob
01-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Could be sometimes I move my 360, to put a ethereal cable in the 360, as the modem is in the living room and the box 360 is in my bedroom.

I have had my current pro console since July 2008 and it still works great. I even take it to friend's houses all the time, it has probably left my house at least twenty or thirty times!

BUT, I brought it to my uncle's house a few weeks ago and I was playing L4D2 on live when my little cousin slightly bumped my console and the three red rings popped up! And the power supply light went red instead of orange I couldn't even turn the console off by the button so I unplugged it from the wall, then plugged it back in and walla it worked fine again!

Since then I've played it a lot, even for long periods of time and it has been working great. GL with your Xbox, I don't know what else to tell you.