PDA

View Full Version : EA may not honor 800 MS point rebate due to DOTD

Ryot Control
01-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I was surfing the EA forums when I saw this.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/360032.page

tl;dr EA may not honor 800 MS point rebate because Microsoft put Battlefield 1943 on sale on the DOTD.

Of course this may not concern you if you didn't use Battlefield as one of the downloads, but I'm sure many of us did.

This affects US and UK live users.

I would be lying to say I was a little concerned about this situation because I did the exact same thing; wait for Battlefield to go on sale and get the rest of the eligible DLC. I'm actually REALLY concerned. Now it seems that EA and Microsoft are pointing fingers as to who is responsible for what and are trying to cover their tracks.

I picked up digital content with the assumption that I was taking advantage of a promotion; and if anyone knows me, I HATE supporting DLC. But there seems to be something fishy according to the information provided in this thread.

Someone better capture the information in this thread, because if they did delete the previous thread talking about the same issue, then that shows there just may be something to be concerned about.

Infection Ftw
01-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I forgot to check which regions..who cares which region..as long if they sell..bought 3 dlc and found out I won't get the 800 MSP back after..and they should count the DotD Battefield. It's only fair if they will. If people bought Warden's Keep instead then they would spend 560 MSP too for 1 of the 3 that fits the deal.

Ryot Control
01-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Battlefield 1943 was availible to all regions on New Years Eve as the DOTD. So if this is the case, then gold and silver live users AROUND THE WORLD will be affected by this issue.

Infection Ftw
01-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Battlefield 1943 was availible to all regions on New Years Eve as the DOTD. So if this is the case, then gold and silver live users AROUND THE WORLD will be affected by this issue.

The get 800 MSP refund was only for US and UK. All other regions didn't get that deal.

BadBoyKillah89
01-03-2010, 10:06 AM
It's EA, not surprising at all. Oh well, I don't think I was eligible for it anyways. I purchased all the Mass Effect DLC before this promotion was announced. I bought Battlefield 1943 on the 'Deal of the Day' as well. EA honoring a commitment, what a crazy idea.

Ryot Control
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
The get 800 MSP refund was only for US and UK. All other regions didn't get that deal.

I guess I stand corrected then. Updated original posting to add this information.

R Rated Love
01-03-2010, 10:36 AM
EA honoring a commitment, what a crazy idea.

Out of curiosity, what previous commitments have they failed to honor?

Ryot Control
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
bumping since the thread has more information

markdigi
01-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Deleted that thread now too... this is getting interesting

Giptuc
01-04-2010, 12:14 AM

Being a supportive gaming company?

OneSweetShannon
01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
I didn't see the thread before it was removed. Was it just people speculating that they may not honor it, or was there actual accounts of someone being told by EA that they wouldn't? Who said there was finger pointing? Any reliable sources?

garyofdoom
01-04-2010, 01:29 AM
so glad i didnt try this or the summer of games promotion

Ryot Control
01-04-2010, 01:59 AM
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...1/EA%20thread/ (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Loveless54321/EA%20thread/)

Here is the link to the 7 screenshots I took of the EA thread before it was deleted. I'm sure it went away since a company wouldn't want people talking about suing them on their own forums.

awesomepizza
01-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Try reporting it to these people.

http://consumerist.com/

They like making a big deal out of corporate rip offs.

N-Forced
01-04-2010, 02:19 AM
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...1/EA%20thread/ (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Loveless54321/EA%20thread/)

Here is the link to the 7 screenshots I took of the EA thread before it was deleted. I'm sure it went away since a company wouldn't want people talking about suing them on their own forums. That photobucket link you provided needs a password to look at the album.

Ryot Control
01-04-2010, 02:23 AM
That photobucket link you provided needs a password to look at the album.

fixed it. It should be viewable.

Madmax410
01-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Way to spread the holiday cheer MS and EA...

megamoviejohn
01-04-2010, 05:53 AM
This is a bunch of bullshit and I better get my 800 points back! I wouldn't have fucking bought any of them but it was a good deal knowing I'd get 800 points back, they can't not give us our points, they gave us a list of games and we bought off that list, I don't care who fucked it up, it is their fault, NOT ours.

R Rated Love
01-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Is there any actual proof of this aside from the deleted threads?

I find it a bit odd that Microsoft would've just discounted the game without letting EA know. Surely they'd need someone's permission.

APassingShadow
01-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Online multiplayer on 90% of thier games which state online multiplayer on the back of the box.

R Rated Love
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Online multiplayer on 90% of thier games which state online multiplayer on the back of the box.

1. Made up figure
2. You can't expect them to keep servers going forever for games that nobody plays for anything other than gamerscore (I personally wouldn't expect them to keep servers going for any sports games other than the most current year)

APassingShadow
01-04-2010, 06:13 PM
1. Made up figure
2. You can't expect them to keep servers going forever for games that nobody plays for anything other than gamerscore (I personally wouldn't expect them to keep servers going for any sports games other than the most current year)

1. Yes made up, but they have been making games for years and years and probably more then 90% of them do not support online play anymore (including PSP, PS3, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC, ect.)
2. I don't but I would expect them to patch it or switch it to a host based system after years of people complaining but what do they care you have to buy another one of their clone games to play online.

xtye
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
If they don't I hope they get sued. They agree'd to provide said rebate. I'm sure someone has proof of this. So they have to honor it.

Dustinator
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Glad I held off on buying. I was seriously considering getting Battlefield and a few other DLC packs too

Ackis
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I forgot all about this deal, I wonder if I ended up qualifying, or if I even should care since I bought 1943?

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
So this offer isnt happening then?

Was wondering as I was thinking whether or not downloading the stone prisoner with the free code I have plue Wardens Keep and the new Dragons age DLC tomoz would count but oh well.

ravensfanyuya
01-05-2010, 02:20 AM
haha EA would do something like that...EA just dont care about people anymore and want money...they first showed that by giving us crap games then they decide to close servers lol

ApochWeiss
01-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Thank god I don't play many EA games any more haha. Not because I loathe the company but because I just don't like half the games that come out and the other half seem to be sports games, and I'm not a sports game person haha. I think Dead Space was the last EA title I bought.

I WOULD have bought Battlefield, but I didn't have the points at the time. Good thing I didn't haha. Hope everyone get's their 800 points, and if not, get a lawyer because it's false advertising regardless of how they explain it. MMLS (massively multiplayer law suit) FTW!

Nlkuysdf
01-05-2010, 05:07 AM
This is total bullshit. I didn't partake in this special, thankfully so, but I just can't stand how they're gonna try to screw so many people. I really hope y'all gets y'alls points. Either way, it's shit like this that makes me buy all their games used. I won't buy any EA game firsthand, they won't get my money.

R Rated Love
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Is there any actual proof of this aside from the deleted threads (which is loose at best)?

I find it a bit odd that Microsoft would've just discounted the game without letting EA know. Surely they'd need someone's permission.

^

Everyone is quick to attack EA here, but has anybody heard anything official in regards to this?

Iregore
01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I am most interested in the fact that everyone seems to be very quick at quoting the fact that EA announced that Battlefield was included in the rebate deal, but most people are forgetting to mention that the official list of included titles ALSO states the price as 1200 MSP. Essentially telling you up front that purchasing this content at this price means it is included in the offer, buying it cheaper is not guaranteed.

Although I feel that if they were not planning to honour the deal with DoTD purchases of Battlefield they should have stated "cannot be combined with any other offer" or similar and I agree it would be annoying for them not to give the rebate if you used the DoTD offer and I think they need to make an official statement one way or the other, I do not think you really have any argument for not getting the rebate if they choose not to combine offers as the list clearly states the pricing of the products in the offer as well.

I suspect the reason for the topics on the forums being removed is due to it being PURE SPECULATION and the forum admins probably do not know the truth at the moment and just want to avoid the threads getting out of hand with lots of "why no official comment yet". Nobody knows for sure right now, but with everyone complaining about this, I think there will be an announcement before too long regarding it, there is still plenty of time to make use of the offer if it will work with sale prices.

Xenization
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
In any case the deal was vaguely flashed around with little to no limitations placed on what price the games had to be purchased at. I personally did not download anything for this deal. I already had the DLC for Mass Effect, and Battlefield didn't interest me enough. EA will fight saying that this occurred under Microsoft's watch while Microsoft will contend that regardless of their individual sale EA should be held accountable for the advertisement. If you were looking for any kind of definitive word on the topic, you should look at Microsoft first.

I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of statement from EA. They have never been good at releasing "official statements" when something upsets its customer base i.e. closed server achievements in its previous sports titles. I would propose that EAs philosophy with unsatisfied customers is to say, "deal with it, and don't buy from us again". Unfortunately enough people continue to buy Madden and NCAA-based games that they have no motivation to improve on their fundamental design. Everything that is added is superfluous flash.

McKaystyles
01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
That makes no sense, they still had it up on their portion of spot light during deal of the day, if they did not give me my shit ( I purchased dlc I didnít even want)ill will send bombs to EA, BOMBS!! Letter bombs that isÖ

McKaystyles
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
During the deal of the day ea had Battlefield for 600 mp while it was 560 from the deal of the day part…

KIDDRAGON67
01-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Should'nt MS contacted EA before getting the all clear of making their game cheaper? But EA should still stick by it, because the cheapest things to get were 2 mass effect DLC and Bf:1943 summing up to be 1360MS points. Minus the refund of 800 and their is still a 560 profit.

Ryot Control
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
^

Everyone is quick to attack EA here, but has anybody heard anything official in regards to this?

People are posting on the EA threads, but they keep getting deleted. Haven't looked on the Xbox forums though.

Dragon's Heart
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
1. Made up figure

If they are going to get rid of the online servers for a game then they should get rid of the online achievements...Not everybody just buys these game for achievements, and it is kinda bull for the people that can't afford to buy a game right when it comes out, who want to play it, but can't any more because the servers are shut down...

Also bullshit are the games that say they are online and then when you buy it and play it (upon release of the game) it turns out that there isn't online play (Monopoly is one of these games)...I hate false advertising...

As for the whole deal of the day thing, people actually managed to get stuff off of that? Every time that I tried to check it all it showed was the little door thingys and ones for the previous day were grey and the current day was lit up, but it didn't show any kind of offers or anything, just the doors...And you couldn't click on em or anything...Checked em every day(multiple times throughout the day) and it was the same thing every time...

markdigi
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
If they don't honour it they are gonna get sued at some point. Had a check on this and as the terms were'nt actually online at the time of the deal it can be seen as false advertising or also known as "Bait and Switch" tactic and form of freud.
Something that is still used by retailers but still illegal.

So a legal upper-hand to the gamers for this lil stunt this time EA.

chickenhead87
01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Does anyone no when you get the 800 points cos i got 3 pieces of dlc 2 mass effect and 1 for madden 10 that were in the deal and havent had anything so far.

R Rated Love
01-08-2010, 10:14 PM
chickenhead87, if you read the terms of the deal, it clearly states points are deposited into your account 6-8 weeks after the promotion ended.

If they don't honour it they are gonna get sued at some point. Had a check on this and as the terms were'nt actually online at the time of the deal it can be seen as false advertising or also known as "Bait and Switch" tactic and form of freud.
Something that is still used by retailers but still illegal.

So a legal upper-hand to the gamers for this lil stunt this time EA.

Not necessarily. Read the terms again.

*Limit one (1) rebate per person. To qualify for your gift, you must buy three (3) eligible games or game add-ons from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account, by January 31, 2010 11:59 EST. The free Points will be automatically deposited into your Xbox LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. Offer available only to legal residents, age 13+, of the 50 United States (includes D.C.), while supplies last, is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient.

EA could easily argue that Microsoft's '12 Days of Christmas' was another offer, and thus buying Battlefield 1943 at 560 points could be seen as a disqualification.

Of course, EA has not stated that they're not honoring the rebate. All it is at this point is people complaining about nothing (as per usual).

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Whatever happens I wouldnt't mind hearing whats happening with all of this before deciding whether I want to get another EA product to be at least eligible for the offer.

spearmintg
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I have bought 4 EA DLC's and yet no 800 points! WTF!!!!!!

N-Forced
01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Whatever happens I wouldnt't mind hearing whats happening with all of this before deciding whether I want to get another EA product to be at least eligible for the offer. The offer expired the 5th.

I have bought 4 EA DLC's and yet no 800 points! WTF!!!!!! Read the terms and conditions it states wait 6-8 weeks for delivery.

*Limit one (1) rebate per person. To qualify for your gift, you must buy three (3) eligible games or game add-ons from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account, by January 31, 2010 11:59 EST. The free Points will be automatically deposited into your Xbox LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. Offer available only to legal residents, age 13+, of the 50 United States (includes D.C.), while supplies last, is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh right fair enough then, I thought it had until the end of January for some reason but there you go lol.

markdigi
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
EA could easily argue that Microsoft's '12 Days of Christmas' was another offer, and thus buying Battlefield 1943 at 560 points could be seen as a disqualification.

Of course, EA has not stated that they're not honoring the rebate. All it is at this point is people complaining about nothing (as per usual).

This is what I feel they might do for anyone doing the BF1943 deal combo (The Bait), the arguement for the legal stuff, despite their T&C, is that the terms were not available at time of purchase on the 31st Dec (The Switch). But we shall have to wait and see.

SnoopDop
01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
The deal has been extended to 31st January and Major Nelson announced (http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2010/01/12/xbox-live-marketplace-release-schedule.aspx) that Mass Effect DLCs will go on sale on the 18th for 240 MSP each

According to the EA offer, the Mass Effect DLCs are eligible for the rebate offer

2x [Mass Effect DLC] + [Dragon Age: Origins - Warden’s Keep] = 1040 MSP

Actual cost with 800 MSP rebate: 240 MSP :Bounce:

R Rated Love
01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
This is what I feel they might do for anyone doing the BF1943 deal combo (The Bait), the arguement for the legal stuff, despite their T&C, is that the terms were not available at time of purchase on the 31st Dec (The Switch). But we shall have to wait and see.

That's not a 'bait and switch' in the slightest. Might want to look that one up.

Not only were EA's terms and conditions available through the entire duration of their deal, but the deal on the 31st was Microsoft, so I don't understand the connection you're trying to make.

And as mentioned above, the EA holiday deal has been extended to the 31st of January. Doesn't exactly sound as if they're not honoring it. :rolleyes:

Iregore
01-18-2010, 08:03 AM
The deal has been extended to 31st January and Major Nelson announced (http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2010/01/12/xbox-live-marketplace-release-schedule.aspx) that Mass Effect DLCs will go on sale on the 18th for 240 MSP each

According to the EA offer, the Mass Effect DLCs are eligible for the rebate offer

2x [Mass Effect DLC] + [Dragon Age: Origins - Warden’s Keep] = 1040 MSP

Actual cost with 800 MSP rebate: 240 MSP :Bounce:

Just to quote the rules found on the EA website (http://www.eagames.co.uk/news/xbox-live-offer):

cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer

I guess that also answers the question about if Battlefield will count in the deal when bought at 560MSP. This same thing has been quoted earlier in the thread from the US EA deal page, and here it is also on the UK EA deal page.