PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Motion Blur

BadBoyKillah89
01-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Not sure if this topic was better suited here or in the entertainment section but I figured since it is pertaining specifically to gaming, it would be fine here.

I just recently purchased a Samsung LN37B650 LCD HDTV. 37" 1080P/120 Hz/100,000:1 Contrast Ratio. Supposedly the top of the line TV (as far as LCDs go). LED-LCD is a whole different story. Anyways, movies look great on this set but it seems to have a serious problem with motion blur when it comes to gaming. It is more noticeable in dark spots in first-person shooters. It makes games like Fallout 3 (I know it's not a FPS ;)) & Call of Duty 2 look like crap.

Now what I would like to know is what brand of HDTVs members on this site recommend. A specific model would be welcomed. I'm looking for an HDTV with very little (unnoticeable) to no motion blur from 37" to 42". My 32" LG LCD HDTV had no motion blur (at least not noticeable), don't know why it's so bad in the Samsung set. When I move the camera it seems as if I'm doing the GTA IV drunk mini-game. It's really that bad.

So in conclusion, can a fellow gamer get some help here? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

xxJUSTINxx
01-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Play with the settings on the TV before you do anything.

bapae
01-04-2010, 04:32 AM
I think it has something to do with the 120 Hz refresh rate. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it. I just stuck with a 60 Hz rate when i bought my TV and i don't have any problems with motion blur.

BadBoyKillah89
01-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Play with the settings on the TV before you do anything.

I believe I've tried everything possible on this set. Nothing seems to eliminate or really even tone down this blur effect. Unless there's some hidden setting I'm just not coming by.

I think it has something to do with the 120 Hz refresh rate. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it. I just stuck with a 60 Hz rate when i bought my TV and i don't have any problems with motion blur.

This is what I was thinking as well. Even though I turned the 120 Hz feature "off", I believe it might be causing the problem. Too much for the 360 to handle perhaps? The thing about it is that I've seen a few people have said the 'Auto Motion Plus' makes the games run better, but more have said that 60 Hz is best for gaming.

I'm connected by the Microsoft HDMI cable & running 1080P. Just putting that out there, in case it somehow factors in. This set is really amazing, it's a shame this one thing completely tears it down. The movies on Netflix are really jaw-dropping on this TV.

xxJUSTINxx
01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
You're not the only one:

The picture quality is wonderful. The color expression is rich and deep. It handles black levels incredibly well. Okay, good so far. I plugged in my XBOX 360 with a HDMI vr 1.3 rated cable and set it 1080p. This is where my reactions became mixed.

Wherever you go these days, people have TVs with 120hz refresh rates set up next to TVs that have the old 60hz in an attempt to impress upon you the difference. It looks great in stores like Best Buy and Sears... but it's another matter at home. If you turn it to a slightly higher setting you may notice a strange aura around moving objects. After (again) checking online this is apparently a known problem with the technology that Sony and LG also suffer from. So I turn the blur reduction up and the judder reduction down. Good, it looks a bit more smooth without the motion artifacts... but wait. Every now and then it stutters as if it's having a little difficulty keeping up. That's strange... okay. I'll turn the judder reduction down further. Know what? It still happens every now and then. It's less of an issue that it was while I was still playing around with the settings, but it still bugs me a little.