PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me...

Vrystai
01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
I know people have probably mentioned before about this but i can't seem to find an answer that a 14 year old would be able to understand and do.

My parents have a "ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v2 router" and for xmas 09 i got a wireless adaptar brand new in sealed box, but now i have one bar off of fullo single and every 40-60 minutes it will mysteriously disconnect me from my wireless. I never had this problem when it was wired but it is such a pain because i have to put the cable up and then take it down when finished to stop my mum from hurting herself anymore then she already is.

If anyone could help me with this because i can't seem to udnerstand, people say to open certain ports and change UnPn or something but i don't know what it is, if i do it i don't want to muck the computer or internet up cause of my dad and i have looked in the ip address thing and all i get is a screen detailing what aspects are working and no other buttons, tabs or settings that i can possibly click on. If i do have to i'll do a screenshot if people would like to see what i mean by the ip address on mine.

Any help will be most greatly appreciated.x

Thankyou if you can help me at my age.x =]

Vrystai.x =]

VladimirK
01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Might not sound too helpful, but unless you specifically need or want wireless I would actually say to go back to wired tbh if that's what you had.

Aside from that, if you have a few concrete walls between you and the router then that could be a problem for wireless.
And it depends how good your router is, and then what it'll go up to for wireless, ie b, g or n types.

Vrystai
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Hm. I'm practically right above the router when i use the wireless and my dad is going to have a fit about this =/ i talked to him about it being a STRICT NAT warning and he said he'd get that changed sometime, but he's really happy that the wireless adapter works...i don't wanna let him down.x =[ Thanks for the help anyways.x =]

VladimirK
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I just thought of something, this one might seem odd, but are you sure you're using your own internet connection?
Maybe you are accidentally connected to a neighbour's? That could cause a problem if they are far away.

bAteseh
01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
After working in technical support for a couple of years, walls and ceilings are very rarely the cause of the problem. I would either contact Zyxel or your internet service provider to double check the router has been setup correctly. The MTU size could be wrong (happened to me). Does the problem happen on any other computers connected wirelessly or wired? Best way to check is to click on Start > Run (on Windows Vista or Windows 7, hold down Windows key and press R), and type in cmd. In cmd type (without speechmarks) "ping www.bbc.co.uk -t". This will send continual data to BBC. Now you can see if your computer will lose internet connectivity when your 360 loses connectivity. If it does, you'll know there's definitely a problem with the router setup.

Hope this helps.

Vrystai
01-04-2010, 10:28 AM
no i am sure i am using my own connection because we use a WPA-PSK thingy and it connected when my dad helped me to input it so...
thanks though.x

Starstrukk X360A
01-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Are you really... Like deep down inside your soul sorry? Because I just don't think you are...

Oh, leave him be. His avatar isn't that bad.

Anywho.

The only thing I can think of is you being accidentally connected to another connection by complete accident; if that isn't it, I'd recommend hopping onto a wired connection until you can fully figure out what's going on.

danjohnson58
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Firstly you should go here and follow this guide,

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

It will allow you to set a static IP and open up your ports, very simple and clear instructions on how to do so.

Secondly, have you checked if the router is xbox live compatible? (I'm presuming this is the problem, not general browsing) I've had an issue with random disconnects etc, turned out the router wasn't compatible with live.

Maybe they should be the other way around but you know... I'll do a quick search and see if I can find the router and its compatibility for you.

Edit: after a quick search I found a youtube video if thats any better for you, YouTube- Zyxel 660hw-t1 v2 - How to open ports to allow Xbox Live

I've also come across many people with the same problems as you, however none seem to manage to have a fix, however on the ZyXEL website it even states, as long as you have the latest firmware and follow what they tell you to do, you should have no issues, take a look or yourself

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/support_faq_detail.php?faqID=105&pid=20060420160946

hope some of this is remotely helpful to you and good luck with it!

Vrystai
01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Oh, leave him be. His avatar isn't that bad.

Anywho.

The only thing I can think of is you being accidentally connected to another connection by complete accident; if that isn't it, I'd recommend hopping onto a wired connection until you can fully figure out what's going on.

Lol thankyou for that, i really didn't mean to cause problems. (I'm a girl btw XD).x =] Yh i think that might be the best decision for now.x =] Thanks.x =]

After working in technical support for a couple of years, walls and ceilings are very rarely the cause of the problem. I would either contact Zyxel or your internet service provider to double check the router has been setup correctly. The MTU size could be wrong (happened to me). Does the problem happen on any other computers connected wirelessly or wired? Best way to check is to click on Start > Run (on Windows Vista or Windows 7, hold down Windows key and press R), and type in cmd. In cmd type (without speechmarks) "ping www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) -t". This will send continual data to BBC. Now you can see if your computer will lose internet connectivity when your 360 loses connectivity. If it does, you'll know there's definitely a problem with the router setup.

Hope this helps.

Well the connection seems to be in working order so i don't know really, i must ask my dad...but i don't have a clue whether he'll go into one of his moods where he does for weeks and has a go at me about everything.x =/
Thankyou anyway for your help.x =]

Firstly you should go here and follow this guide,

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

It will allow you to set a static IP and open up your ports, very simple and clear instructions on how to do so.

Secondly, have you checked if the router is xbox live compatible? (I'm presuming this is the problem, not general browsing) I've had an issue with random disconnects etc, turned out the router wasn't compatible with live.

Maybe they should be the other way around but you know... I'll do a quick search and see if I can find the router and its compatibility for you.

Edit: after a quick search I found a youtube video if thats any better for you, YouTube- Zyxel 660hw-t1 v2 - How to open ports to allow Xbox Live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmdqQstkOqs)

I've also come across many people with the same problems as you, however none seem to manage to have a fix, however on the ZyXEL website it even states, as long as you have the latest firmware and follow what they tell you to do, you should have no issues, take a look or yourself

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/support_faq_detail.php?faqID=105&pid=20060420160946

hope some of this is remotely helpful to you and good luck with it!

Problem is they have all the options at the side i don't.x =[
all i have is the top two status and the router name/type thing, i don't have the advanced options or anything =[ Thankyou for your help though it is greatly appreciated =].x

Mister Buds
01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
vrystai, let me start by saying welcome to the forums. hope you stay active and enjoy yourself here.

i don't know anything about wireless connections, so i can't help you on that issue. just wanted to let you know that on this board you can find an 'edit' button in the bottom right corner, should you have to add or change any information in your post. there is also a 'multi"off"' button located in the same spot on every post. click this on multiple posts you'd like to quote (and then hit the actual 'quote' button on one of them) and they will all appear in one post, so you don't need to respond to each one in a seperate post.

don't take this the wrong way, i'm just informing you since double and triple posting are frowned upon on most forums (like here).

balance13
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
No idea what to say, but I would've been more informative if I hadn't had an epileptic seizure from your flashing avatar. Buzzzzzzz...

what is wrong with the avatar it is hardly flashing?

Is your internet actually quick on your main computer?

Test your connection on your xbox how many bars is it at??

davhth4
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
To Vrystai ignore spawn man. He has been going about annoying alot of people.
There isnt anything wrong with your avatar. He makes me want to make one that flashes bright colours alot faster than yours.

I think seems you have bad signal. I had bad signal in my new house to bought an extender to extend the signal so I now get 4 bars not 1.

Vrystai
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
what is wrong with the avatar it is hardly flashing?

Is your internet actually quick on your main computer?

Test your connection on your xbox how many bars is it at??

To Vrystai ignore spawn man. He has been going about annoying alot of people.
There isnt anything wrong with your avatar. He makes me want to make one that flashes bright colours alot faster than yours.

I think seems you have bad signal. I had bad signal in my new house to bought an extender to extend the signal so I now get 4 bars not 1.

Well,it is at it's highest speed on the computer and i have 4/5 bars of signal on my xbox and the signal doesn't even drop, i watched it once to check and the signal is at 4/5 when it gets disconnected and then my router is still running at highest speeds on my computer.x =/
I really don't know what to do anymore i've confused like everyone lol >.<
Thankyou for your help though, it is greatly appreciated to have someone respond.x =]
Vrystai.x =]