PDA

View Full Version : Any chances of Gold memberships being free?

Husker Dude
01-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Or at least not Gold, but multiplayer. I think it's pathetic having to pay $50 bucks each year for a Gold membership.

I think a good idea would be free multiplayer and Gold being just benefits like deals, pretty much everything Gold offers aside from the multiplayer and being much cheaper.

thoughts?

The Pants Party
01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
No chance. They've been getting millions of memberships every year since the service started. They have absolutely no incentive to stop or lower the price, or even offer more services though that's something they HAVE been doing fairly regularly (Facebook, Twitter, last.fm, Netflix, etc etc).

antnie
01-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Is there a chance of gold being free?
No.
If Microsoft has millions of people paying for it why would they stop?
EDIT: Pants is a ninja.

Melanopterus
01-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Agreed with the above. People will keep playing so why stop charging? If Microsoft got firm evidence that charging for gold was driving people away then they'd drop the price or cut it. As of now though it's not driving anyone away.

Companies don't make billions by being nice sadly :(

Plus to be honest 50 bucks a year is not that bad, it sucks and I hate it but when you break it down I can't complain they could charge more

Husker Dude
01-05-2010, 06:06 AM
50 bucks could get you a new game.

PS3 has free service, I don't know if it's as good as the Xbox 360, but it's free.

Do you still need Gold in order to watch Netflix? Last time I saw a guest log in.

People should stop paying for it ha.

INFERNOII
01-05-2010, 06:11 AM

PS3 has free service, I don't know if it's as good as the Xbox 360, but it's free.

Do you still need Gold in order to watch Netflix? Last time I saw a guest log in.

Yeah, but still, 50 bucks can still get you a year of gold. So if you have enough money to buy new games you shouldn't be complaining about not having enough for gold.

elephantd
01-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Or at least not Gold, but multiplayer. I think it's pathetic having to pay $50 bucks each year for a Gold membership.

I think a good idea would be free multiplayer and Gold being just benefits like deals, pretty much everything Gold offers aside from the multiplayer and being much cheaper.

thoughts?

go to best buy and get something free when buying it?

I know they have deals to make it less painful.

VladimirK
01-05-2010, 06:28 AM
I can't help but feel that this is a troll thread.

If you don't like it then go and buy a PS3, then stop whinging.

Starstrukk X360A
01-05-2010, 06:39 AM
No chance. They've been getting millions of memberships every year since the service started. They have absolutely no incentive to stop or lower the price, or even offer more services though that's something they HAVE been doing fairly regularly (Facebook, Twitter, last.fm, Netflix, etc etc).

This. There's no way they're going to stop now. It's running really well, and they aren't going to fix what's not broken.

GonzoPoopsmith
01-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Solution: Just play on PC.

bapae
01-05-2010, 07:35 AM

thoughts? Seriously its only 50 dollars for 12+1 months look at world of warcraft its $15 a month that's $180 for 1 year and that's only for one game. Besides if we pay the service is going to be a lot better look at the PS3 its free and the online service isn't as good the updates take like 100 times longer from what i've seen when my 2 friends that own a ps3 had to update a game or the console.

Lord Yamikage
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
:whs

Well, actually what people were saying. $50 in a year is nothing. That is unless you don't have a job. If you save at least a $1 in a week and save it in a piggy bank, you'll have enough to get Gold Member every single year. From what I heard, the Microsoft work around the XBL more than Sony take cares of their Online Market. If you don't have a job, I'm surprised that you can afford to buys all the games that's coming out every years. Not to mention that there are a lot of games, and they cost more than ever.

I tell people, "Video games these days are expensive. If you don't have a job, you're missing out a lot of great thing.".

katesith
01-05-2010, 08:01 AM
:whs

Well, actually what people were saying. $50 in a year is nothing. That is unless you don't have a job. If you save at least a $1 in a week and save it in a piggy bank, you'll have enough to get Gold Member every single year. From what I heard, the Microsoft work around the XBL more than Sony take cares of their Online Market. If you don't have a job, I'm surprised that you can afford to buys all the games that's coming out every years. Not to mention that there are a lot of games, and they cost more than ever.

I tell people, "Video games these days are expensive. If you don't have a job, you're missing out a lot of great thing.".

PS3 online is terrible. my friend has it and he agrees xbox is better. but love hte quote.
Actually also about the ps3. you buy things by charging your card instead of buying easy microsoft points . and if you buy a psn gift card its like spending actual money into an arcade machine.

*me playing DDR at the mall

"one song... $2"
"ok"
*thirty-four dollars later
"CRAP!!!! IM HUNGRY NOW"

bapae
01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
PS3 online is terrible. my friend has it and he agrees xbox is better. but love hte quote.
Actually also about the ps3. you buy things by charging your card instead of buying easy microsoft points . and if you buy a psn gift card its like spending actual money into an arcade machine.

*me playing DDR at the mall

"one song... $2"
"ok"
*thirty-four dollars later
"CRAP!!!! IM HUNGRY NOW" Yea you don't know a bad connection in a match untill you've played CoD on the PS3

katesith
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Yea you don't know a bad connection in a match untill you've played CoD on the PS3
There is the quote that needs to be on every Xbox magazine and Xbox things. I will make a shirt with this quote

v_thorne
01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I absolutely hate how people generally instantly rebuttle with "But teh PsTHUR-E haz free ownline".

Yeah, and the PS3 is also filled with even MORE immature prepubescent kids yelling down the mic and crying everytime they die. Why? Because the service is free, and the connection is shit.

At least the odds of getting one of those annoying kids on XBL is reduced because them, or their parents, have to purchase membership to interact online.
It's a once a year free. Yeah, you could buy a new game with it. But if you're complaining so much, why keep purchasing them?

If you don't like it... well... in the words of South Park: Get the FUDGE OUT.

There's no chance it will be free. Not even with competition against Sony. Microsoft know they offer a premium online experience, far superior to the PS3. With a better market place, with generally better game connections as well.
I have owned a Wii, 360 and PS3. I must say, I by far prefered the online service of my 360 the most.

xtye
01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
For something so pathetic you sure do pay for it...

Tussell
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I absolutely hate how people generally instantly rebuttle with "But teh PsTHUR-E haz free ownline".

Yeah, and the PS3 is also filled with even MORE immature prepubescent kids yelling down the mic and crying everytime they die. Why? Because the service is free, and the connection is shit.

At least the odds of getting one of those annoying kids on XBL is reduced because them, or their parents, have to purchase membership to interact online.
It's a once a year free. Yeah, you could buy a new game with it. But if you're complaining so much, why keep purchasing them?

If you don't like it... well... in the words of South Park: Get the FUDGE OUT.

There's no chance it will be free. Not even with competition against Sony. Microsoft know they offer a premium online experience, far superior to the PS3. With a better market place, with generally better game connections as well.
I have owned a Wii, 360 and PS3. I must say, I by far prefered the online service of my 360 the most.
... and that my friends, concludes the thread!

Cyburn360
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Though I have yet to have purchase membership for XBL gold (still on 1 month free trial), I think its not so bad to pay £40 a year (in the UK) for XBL gold if it means a superior service, less chav kids talking like crap and future improvements.

JoyGasmic TACO
01-05-2010, 12:11 PM
You can link up the xboxes as long as you are on the same internet connection so therefore you can play. But as far as free goes you have no chance.

danjohnson58
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Also I hear the comments like oh thats a game a year! £1 a week isn't bad, you can get it for as little as £26 if you shop around, then consider the deal of the week/all the christmas deals and the occasional free things. If you were to purchase them all at full retail price or as silver. You end up paying more out, however even taking up say 6 arcade deals a year, you end up saving around about the £26 or possibly more.

Gackt
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM

50 dollars for a YEAR of service is super cheap in my opinion. And the amount of content you get for it makes it worth it.

davhth4
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah lets make it free!!!...oh wait if we make it free it means that means xbox live will get shit like PSN. We like to pay for xbox live Because it helps it grow. How is it pathetic to pay $50. What age are you? Please say your a child with no sense of how money works.

Also i am guessing you wont ever subscribe to this site.

Nozza XBA
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
This thread would be worth everyones times if it was £40/$50 a month we were all paying out! You know, I know, everyone knows it will never be cut down in price or free!

Take online PC games for an example. As someone has already said, you fork out $15 a MONTH for WoW! A month for one game and to make it worse, when they release an expansion for it you need to go out and buy that to at retail price! Then you get to other PC games like City of Heroes/Villians. You just pay monthly to use there servers, but all expansions etc are down over the game and are free, so you feel a little more abliged to pay it. Thirdly you get XBL.. Which is the best! One off payment a YEAR and you get all the advantages Party P said in his post, free patches for games and dashboard, avatar updates, trailers, demos etc etc. The only other thing you need to buy is the games.. which are never free what ever your playing on. If you buy XBL Arcade games or Avatar stuff then thats your problems for spending you money on them. People rarely use the Wii Online I feel, but its there if you want it!

But then you get the PS3.. Sony suck you in with WOW factor! Great console, does everything you need, best graphics about and FREE online usage. Everyone falls for it, buys the over priced brick and then realises it aint all that and you dont get the feel, advantages or the good community XBL gives you. The games are just as good as the 360 and PSN is shite! As others have said, its free caus they dont look after it or put the time in as Microsoft. Microsoft try there best (everyone makes mistakes & isnt perfect) to keep it running smoothly and give the best experiance and thats why we get charged. Where as Sony just sit back in there big leather chairs and flick a switch now and then to sort 1 problem out!

XBL rules and I'm willing to fork out £40 every year for what they have to offer as our money goes towards the console being the best online community out there and pays for the guys doing a decent job!

Sizzlebuzz
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah lets make it free!!!...oh wait if we make it free it means that means xbox live will get shit like PSN. We like to pay for xbox live Because it helps it grow. How is it pathetic to pay $50. What age are you? Please say your a child with no sense of how money works.

Also i am guessing you wont ever subscribe to this site.

No. This will never be free.

As for PSN, it's fine.

Where are these people liking to pay money though, who is that exactly? I don't have gold and don't plan on having gold for a long time to come. I had it for a year and no longer wish to pay for membership to play games online.

$50 a year isn't a large amount, but money is money. And considering that half of the online community are people who probably still live with their parents and don't have a job, I would guess that it would be a big issue.

Gallimore
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I think it is just right that we pay, you can get it for like 24.99 on ebay. Not a life threating amount. And the service we have from xbox live is great, it is never down unless there is an update. They have there reasons to charge us

davhth4
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
No. This will never be free.

As for PSN, it's fine.

Where are these people liking to pay money though, who is that exactly? I don't have gold and don't plan on having gold for a long time to come. I had it for a year and no longer wish to pay for membership to play games online.

$50 a year isn't a large amount, but money is money. And considering that half of the online community are people who probably still live with their parents and don't have a job, I would guess that it would be a big issue.

Of course it will never be free. And everyone who uses gold which is a hell of a lot of people are glad to pay because it makes the service great. HAHA Most the people who have live probally dont live with parent and do have a job. Get your facts straight before you bash live.

I am guessing either you dont have a job or live with your parents or you are a cheap skate and since you havent used xbox live I am guessing you dont realise how great it is and it is worth $80 a year so $30-50 a year is worth it.

Hysteria89
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know why some people expect stuff to be free. Microsoft is a business after all. Anyway, it is not a bad deal for the price you pay.

Purge
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
This. There's no way they're going to stop now. It's running really well, and they aren't going to fix what's not broken.

Ah darn, I thought you were going to say 'Nobody has a gun to your head and is making you pay for Gold Membership' :p.

I guess if you don't want to pay for Gold Membership then you probably shouldn't pay for Gold Membership.

agentplatypus
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know why some people expect stuff to be free. Microsoft is a business after all. Anyway, it is not a bad deal for the price you pay. It's not a bad deal but its not a good one either. PSN is free and honestly XBL isn't that much better, if any.

Nozza XBA
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

So am I right in guessing you fall into this catagory? The one/many reasons you dont have XBL?

I live with my parents (process of moving out), have a full time job, social life and I still manage to pay £40 a year for XBL, subscribe to this website, pay rent and pay for my car + other stuff... So that blows your all knowlege theory out the water!

These people are called lazy (benifits), spoilt, uni grant etc... Thats why they complain! Caus they know eventually their money source will run out and they wont be able to enjoy the gaming without Live. Ever since XBL was launched back in the day on the original Xbox, I've payed every penny til this day.

Nlkuysdf
01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
It's worth it because it helps you get more achievements. :p

Cyburn360
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
well Im on benefits, but I wouldn't moan about paying for a superior service.

besides, if XBL gold was free, MS would put the prices up for other stuff, like themes, XBLA games etc.....

R Rated Love
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
So am I right in guessing you fall into this catagory? The one/many reasons you dont have XBL?

I live with my parents (process of moving out), have a full time job, social life and I still manage to pay £40 a year for XBL, subscribe to this website, pay rent and pay for my car + other stuff... So that blows your all knowlege theory out the water!

These people are called lazy (benifits), spoilt, uni grant etc... Thats why they complain! Caus they know eventually their money source will run out and they wont be able to enjoy the gaming without Live. Ever since XBL was launched back in the day on the original Xbox, I've payed every penny til this day.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to kids, which I'd say make up around half of the online community, if not more. (I don't know any statistics, and have seen it vary drastically by game, but I'll just leave it at approximately half)

And to the OP, Amazon sells 12 month cards for $35 with free shipping. That's less than $3 a month. I probably end up saving more than $3 a month just taking advantage of the DotW alone, so in essence my Xbox Live pays for itself.

lenny m
01-05-2010, 06:36 PM
for a weekend, they should offer a 12 month free

CaptainSpanner
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Oh man, you took the words straight from my mouth.

The Ultrafiend
01-05-2010, 06:46 PM

This, with minor exceptions obviously.

Want XBL? GO MOW SOME FUCKING LAWNS.

'Tis all. ^_^

OneSweetShannon
01-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Other than 1vs 100, I rarely play online multiplayer (only do when it's to get online achievements) and even if I didn't play online at all, it's still worth the $50 a year for my gold membership. (I use my gold for netflix primarily, and that is an awesome service that is worth it on its own since we use that daily.) Frankly, it's probably the best entertainment bargain available, to match the level of service, the community strength and perks that are provided.

Something else I'll say that many may not agree with, is that I feel like I can see the investment of my membership back into the service by Microsoft. I was not a fan of the xbox before NXE (ask my husband, he'll tell you I was a Sony fangirl that he tried to convert to xbox 360 for ages) but NXE and the improvements and new features since then have really impressed me. Add to that the excellent job the enforcement team does with policing the community and you've won my loyalty as a customer. I say to Microsoft to keep up the good work, and thanks for making the value of my gold membership more than its price.

iKhaotic
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM
there are so many deals out there to get the 12 month XBL card for less than $50 if you take the time to search. the average price for a 12 month is $40 if you know where to look. that's not much at all for a year (+1 month?) of XBL. if you have a job, then that's ONE days pay at minimum wage if you work 7 hours a day. not much at all to warrant complaining about it.

if you don't have a job to pay for it, i honestly don't know what to say, except that nothing's free in this world.

you want expensive? try WoW, PSU, or FFXI. they charge somewhere around $10 PER MONTH (more if you have extra characters). that's $120+ a year.

garyofdoom
01-05-2010, 11:07 PM
no microsoft is getting to much money from subscriptions to make it free

downey
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I am glad there is a cost, I think $50 is a little more than it should be, but it helps like others have said to keep some people out.

If you pay attention throughout the year there are places that sell them as cheap as $20, eBay had a deal earlier this year and I bought 3 years worth of cards for like $66 bucks with shipping.

Nathan WV10
01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I think xbox live is worth every penny to be honest :)

[Waggly Bean]
01-05-2010, 11:51 PM
thoughts?

My thoughts? Even if I spend full retail price on a 12 month subscription (which I never have), it's still only 11 pence a day. 11 pence! It's really nothing at all.

Soo... I don't really see it as a problem. Xbox Live is the best online service out of the current gen consoles - it's worth the small amount of money it costs! ;)

VampHunterD
01-06-2010, 01:30 AM
And to the OP, Amazon sells 12 month cards for $35 with free shipping. That's less than $3 a month. I probably end up saving more than $3 a month just taking advantage of the DotW alone, so in essence my Xbox Live pays for itself.

I was just about to say this. You never have to pay $50 if you shop around, and $35 is really not bad at all. I own a PS3 and the online sucks, period. Lots of connection problems, etc. plus, I don't believe i've ever seen a discount on PS3 Network games on par with the DotW Microsoft offers, not to mention the three free arcade games that I have on my system. Overall, its a good deal for the service they provide.

MJGB
01-06-2010, 08:37 AM
If we think about this logically, Microsoft have been offering the best online service for years now, always charged. It's a premium service but isn't extortionate, I mean 11p a day - I can see that much change rolling around the cobbles in town!

Anyway, Sony offers their inferior service for free, but are slowly adding to the roster of features it offers. Do you think they can continue to offer all of this for free? All whilst losing money on their hardware sales, earning minimal from online transactions.

Anyway, look what we get for £30 / $40 a year ;

- Multiplayer
- Parties
- Deal Of The Week
- Demos / Betas including Xbox exclusives
- Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, Sky Player in Xbox specifically designed software, not through a slow browser that is harder to navigate.
- Netflix
- 1 vs 100
- Joyride (wasn't that meant to be Xmas 09?)
- Other goodies

You'd pay for more a good game, why not for a good online service?

Tufty
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
No, it will never be free. Let's face it, Microsoft is making money from it and it is probably the second most money grabbing company, the first is SKY. They'd rob the eyes out of your head if they'd had the chance. But anyway, £4.25 is a small price to pay for a service that can provide hours of entertainment every day.

MisaaAmane
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Ditto xD
But yeah, this is true.

Sizzlebuzz
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Your guess is incorrect. I could go out and buy live for a year today if I wanted. It's not a big issue to me. I never said it was. Now, you're only replying to part of the issue I posted. The part you are replying to is the minor issue, which is living with parents. Many people in school don't have the ability to get a full time job. Part time at best, and even then, it sucks having to deal with school and work.

Now, if you can tell me that $40 a year is easy to pay without having a job, please continue. But merely stating you have a job while living with your parents isn't really what I meant at all. Let me explain in further detail.

Many people living with their parents still go to school. High school that is. Not college. Some in college do, and there is nothing wrong with that. But that is what I was going for. Many people in high school can't get a full time job. You never stated you were in school. So saying you live with your parents while you have a full time job doesn't quite put you in the category which I mentioned in my previous post.

As for your opinion on those people, that is your opinion to have. I never stated that this should be free. I think the price is fine and it should be paid for. My post was there to quote someone else who felt it was necessary to get worked up over what someone else had posted.

Of course it will never be free. And everyone who uses gold which is a hell of a lot of people are glad to pay because it makes the service great. HAHA Most the people who have live probally dont live with parent and do have a job. Get your facts straight before you bash live.

I don't see how you felt that my post was a personal attack against live, but I think you need to calm down a little bit?

I myself said it will never be free, so we agree on that. As for me getting my facts straight, I believe they are. I think you need to try to understand that not only people over the age of 16 own this console. This is one of the biggest three consoles currently out there. I never said that people older than that don't own the system. Okay?

But, if you're willing to provide me with a legitimate link to the current age statistics for XBOX 360, I will gladly tell you that I was mistaken.

As my first sentence said, I never bashed live, which is clearly what you have typed. I merely said I don't wish to pay the money to play live. I don't care for online gaming. I also don't care if I don't get to play the current big shooter with 13 year olds because I don't choose to buy it anymore. I lived.

I am guessing either you dont have a job or live with your parents or you are a cheap skate and since you havent used xbox live I am guessing you dont realise how great it is and it is worth $80 a year so $30-50 a year is worth it.

I did use xbox live. I used it for 13 months. I did not find it to be something I could live without. In fact, the only difference that I really notice when going from gold to silver, is the online play and the deals.

ridethepiggy
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I think it's pathetic that you can't pay $50 for a service that you use near daily.
The American mindset that "everything should be free" is damn near retarded.

Muhnamana
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I think it's pathetic that you can't pay $50 for a service that you use near daily.

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm more than happy to pay $50 a year for that. Way back when, when I use to have a PS2, I loved the fact that it was free to play online, but really never offered anything else until the PS3 came around. But by that time I decided to switch consoles and I'm glad I made the switch. Now if they decide to increase the price, I might take a step back and rethink it.

I mean come on now, its roughly a $1 a day.

Eventually I see PS3 going to charge for their service.

lenny m
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
i can severely doubt that gold membership will be free. Xbox is owned by Bill Gates, the richest man in the world who always wants to make profit from his brilliant invventions. He makes his money from Xbox,and Windows so he wont stop the money flow just like that.

If there was a petition from like 10,000 xbox gamers, then we may have a chance to have at least a chance of it being free.

This is the only reason why I prefer the PS3 to the X360. They get it for free and dont have to pay a dime to Howard Stringer (those who dont know him, he's the boss of Sony Corporation) and they still manage to rake in money from sales. IM still a 360 gamer but one thing that needs to be set straight is the online membership fees.

ridethepiggy
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Wow you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm more than happy to pay $50 a year for that. Way back when, when I use to have a PS2, I loved the fact that it was free to play online, but really never offered anything else until the PS3 came around. But by that time I decided to switch consoles and I'm glad I made the switch. Now if they decide to increase the price, I might take a step back and rethink it.

I mean come on now, its roughly a $1 a day.

Eventually I see PS3 going to charge for their service.

Someone had to say it!

$50 a year is much less than $1 a day. You're talking $4.16ish a month or about 17 cents a day.

If someone wants to play online and can't afford to buy one less Big Mac meal at McDonalds a month then there's a problem. Stop handing McDonalds your money!

Sony did announce they're starting a "premium" service for PSN and it will have a annual fee.

[Waggly Bean]
01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
$50 a year is much less than $1 a day. You're talking $4.16ish a month or about 17 cents a day.

I'm glad you said this... :D

Think someone got their maths a bit off - if it were $1 a day it would cost $365 for a years subscription. Now THAT would be ridiculous! :p

Nlkuysdf
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Someone had to say it!

If someone wants to play online and can't afford to buy one less Big Mac meal at McDonalds a month then there's a problem. Stop handing McDonalds your money!

Sony did announce they're starting a "premium" service for PSN and it will have a annual fee.

I wish I could get a Big Mac meal for $4.16. Obviously the fact that I have to Super Size may have a direct effect, but more like double the price.

McKaystyles
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM

thoughts?
I think its pathetic to want something for nothing. You want premium exp playing online? You want awesome promo’s and the fastest most fluid connection and matchmaking? It costs money to maintain… PSN might be what you want dude, not as flashy no guarantee’s on game quality online, but free!

ImpendIn_Agony
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
No, it will never be free but a few posters made interesting points.
It's not a bad deal but its not a good one either. PSN is free and honestly XBL isn't that much better, if any.

What he says is true, as far as the services provided. Having had both systems for a long time,and although I prefer xbox online, It really is only somewhat better than the PS3.

;2673259']My thoughts? Even if I spend full retail price on a 12 month subscription (which I never have), it's still only 11 pence a day. 11 pence! It's really nothing at all.
Again absolutely right. Waggly makes a good point that, if you shop around, you'll never pay that full price. It's almost always easy enough to find it priced at 40 and even 35 dollars(American). It pays to note that there should still be more services available on Xbox Live, such as web browsing,especially if we are paying for it.

InkedUp
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
This thread would be worth everyones times if it was £40/$50 a month we were all paying out! You know, I know, everyone knows it will never be cut down in price or free!

Take online PC games for an example. As someone has already said, you fork out $15 a MONTH for WoW! A month for one game and to make it worse, when they release an expansion for it you need to go out and buy that to at retail price! Then you get to other PC games like City of Heroes/Villains. You just pay monthly to use there servers, but all expansions etc are down over the game and are free, so you feel a little more obliged to pay it. Thirdly you get XBL.. Which is the best! One off payment a YEAR and you get all the advantages Party P said in his post, free patches for games and dashboard, avatar updates, trailers, demos etc etc. The only other thing you need to buy is the games.. which are never free what ever your playing on. If you buy XBL Arcade games or Avatar stuff then thats your problems for spending you money on them. People rarely use the Wii Online I feel, but its there if you want it!

But then you get the PS3.. Sony suck you in with WOW factor! Great console, does everything you need, best graphics about and FREE online usage. Everyone falls for it, buys the over priced brick and then realizes it ain't all that and you don't get the feel, advantages or the good community XBL gives you. The games are just as good as the 360 and PSN is shite! As others have said, its free cause they don't look after it or put the time in as Microsoft. Microsoft try there best (everyone makes mistakes & isn't perfect) to keep it running smoothly and give the best experience and thats why we get charged. Where as Sony just sit back in there big leather chairs and flick a switch now and then to sort 1 problem out!

XBL rules and I'm willing to fork out £40 every year for what they have to offer as our money goes towards the console being the best online community out there and pays for the guys doing a decent job!
I couldn't have said it any better myself, so I won't. On top of all that, just wait until a good deal pops up on the dashboard to get a little more for your money. A couple of months ago the dashboard had a deal where you buy a 12 month subscription and get 3 months free. My subscription didn't end for another 2 months, but how could I pass up a 15 month subscription for the price of 12.

Pyrochaos
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I've never paid $50 for a year. I load up when they are cheap, like they are now:

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 12 Month Live Gold Card: Video Games

KwH x Fatality
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
In a episode of SentUAMessage they said that Xbox LIVE Gold will not be free because they want you to have a better Xbox LIVE Experience or something on those lines, plus they make millions from Xbox LIVE and way just do the maths. Xbox LIVE has 20,000,000 customers (or something like that) x £40-a-year and thats £800,000,000 a year for all there customers.

Short answer: Never

xthewhiterabbit
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
nope, i think 50 bucks a year is a great deal.

MisaaAmane
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Now, if you can tell me that $40 a month is easy to pay without having a job, please continue. But merely stating you have a job while living with your parents isn't really what I meant at all. Let me explain in further detail.

I don't recall it being fourty bucks per month?
Its 7 per month and thats how I pay for it, tbh I don't notice it even being taken away, cause its like going out for lunch once.
And yes, I live with parents and go to university.
Many people's pocket money from they parents could afford it (and imo the option to spend it on xbl is better than some other things they spend it on)
So I think the whole not being able to afford because of living with parents should be dropped overall. Yes there are families that can't. No those families are not in the majority. Yes there are families who just say thats a stupid way to spend money, no its not a good enough reason to bash xbl.
As well as all the deals and advantages you get make up your money worth pretty quickly.

And I dont' even take advantage of $50 per year/$5 per month. And still defending it. lol

Sizzlebuzz
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't recall it being fourty bucks per month?
Its 7 per month and thats how I pay for it, tbh I don't notice it even being taken away, cause its like going out for lunch once.
Many people's pocket money from they parents could afford it (and imo the option to spend it on xbl is better than some other things they spend it on)
So I think the whole not being able to afford because of living with parents should be dropped overall. Yes there are families that can't. No those families are not in the majority. Yes there are families who just say thats a stupid way to spend money, no its not a good enough reason to bash xbl.
As well as all the deals and advantages you get make up your money worth pretty quickly.

And I dont' even take advantage of $50 per year/$5 per month. And still defending it. lol

That was obviously a typo. And also, I think you missed the point of my post. I know it was probably more lengthy than usual posts, but reading it all helps. Reading what I quoted may also benefit you when forming an opinion on something I type.

But if you don't feel like reading, let me clarify once again.

The issue is not about living with your parents. It's about not having a job. People without jobs usually live with family members. Unless they have good friends who will put up with them, which is highly unlikely. Do you see how that ties together?

The whole reason behind that was me referring to people who are younger and can't get a job due to school and such. Which is a major age group for gaming consoles.

I also stated the price was fine. I never said it should be free. Nor did I ever bash XBL.

iKhaotic
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM

yep. and that's why America is so hated. Americans need to get real and look at the reality of things. nothing is ever good enough for them and they always want more more and more. even the low class Americans have it better than most third world countries out there who are in real trouble and yet they complain that life is such a pain in the ass for them and cry out to the government for help because they can't afford unnecessary things like cigarettes and beer.

anyways, back on topic. i've tried both XBL and PSN and from what i could tell, neither of them is that much superior/inferior to the other. XBL is a tad bit more organized and easier to use however. i can definately see Sony charging for PSN in the future though

MisaaAmane
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM

The issue is not about living with your parents. It's about not having a job. People without jobs usually live with family members. Unless they have good friends who will put up with them, which is highly unlikely. Do you see how that ties together?

The whole reason behind that was me referring to people who are younger and can't get a job due to school and such. Which is a major age group for gaming consoles.

I also stated the price was fine. I never said it should be free. Nor did I ever bash XBL.

I think before telling me to read, you should read yourself. And yes, I read yours, I only felt like talking about a certain issue within it.
lol
I specifically mentioned how people without jobs who live with parents can easily afford it.
Then I went on how its a silly reason to talk about people living or not living with families and them affording xbl.
Nor did I say you bashed xbl, but that it shouldn't be bashed for that reason.
I'm assuming quoting my post wasn't a poof that you read it at all?
There is a part of it gain lol

Why do people always have to get on with personal insults when discussing something they have a different opinion on? That just means you don't really have a good argument so you'd rather show that you're better and thus your opinion is good? lol

Dj LynZee
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
This is why I play PC more often than xbox. That and I'm fortunate enough to have an awesome gaming computer.

MisaaAmane
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
This is why I play PC more often than xbox. That and I'm fortunate enough to have an awesome gaming computer.
xD good point, I like playing shooters on pc, but stuff like rpgs on xbox.

davhth4
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
That was obviously a typo. And also, I think you missed the point of my post. I know it was probably more lengthy than usual posts, but reading it all helps. Reading what I quoted may also benefit you when forming an opinion on something I type.

How can you miss type year and month ? Thats not a typo at all. A typo would be if they hit a letter by mistake not typed a different word by mistake.

Many people can live by themself and not have a job. I know a few people who live by themself and on benefits because they cant find a job. So stop trying to cover your tracks when you know you have a wrong opinion.

I think the major age group is actualy 26 for online xbox gaming. It said somewhere I cant remember where but I know it wasnt a childs age.

You didnt say the price was fine.

iKhaotic
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
xD good point, I like playing shooters on pc, but stuff like rpgs on PS2.

fix'd ;) hehehe

MisaaAmane
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
fix'd ;) hehehe

:p You make a really good point right there
Shame on me though, I don't own one :(

iKhaotic
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
:p You make a really good point right there
Shame on me though, I don't own one :(

yep, shame on you.

i don't care how the ending was, but your name is going in the Death Note now :p

McKaystyles
01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
LET ME PUT THIS IN LAMEST TERMS, MMMK? THINK of xbox 360 as your life mentor. If you can’t afford 7.99 a month, chances are you need a job or have a sorry excuse for not having money. Get a job and 7.99 a month wont seem so bad… in fact its like the due’s you owe to your xbox for forcing you to get a job. And if you get a really good job, get the 50$ card!! Oohhh man, its mind blowing isn’t it?! ISNT IT?

Not everything in life is free, you have student loans, car payments and mortgages not to mention the ridiculous amount we will all spend on drugs and alcohol. Learn not to look for free things but how to make your dollar do the most for you. So next time you decide to complain about paying 7.99 for live think of what great service you get and hug your xbox…for making you have a job.

PS3 has free online play, at the cost of quality… I don’t know about you but when I go out to eat I prefer to pay 40$ a meal with my g/f and have a great dinner instead of 15$ a meal and have an ok dinner. Same with live, I prefer its top notch service.

People that have been laid off and collect… they also have 7.99 because they at one point had a job… if 7.99 is still not in the budget that’s even MORE incentive to find work. try craigslist… but don’t be a prostitute.

That’s my advice, chew it up, enjoy it.

JonkoJR
01-06-2010, 09:01 PM
aaah wy not free

Kairi
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
^ This. I can't word it any better myself. Xbox Live IS Free- thats why they have silver. Gold isn't paying for live, its paying for good service IMO

Sizzlebuzz
01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I think before telling me to read, you should read yourself. And yes, I read yours, I only felt like talking about a certain issue within it.
lol
I specifically mentioned how people without jobs who live with parents can easily afford it.
Then I went on how its a silly reason to talk about people living or not living with families and them affording xbl.
Nor did I say you bashed xbl, but that it shouldn't be bashed for that reason.
I'm assuming quoting my post wasn't a poof that you read it at all?
There is a part of it gain lol

Why do people always have to get on with personal insults when discussing something they have a different opinion on? That just means you don't really have a good argument so you'd rather show that you're better and thus your opinion is good? lol

As for your statement that you were typing how people could afford it. You just stated that they could leech off of their parents.

Then you go on to tell me that I was bashing people who lived with their parents. When I didn't. You yourself said that people can afford it via their parent's money. If anything, that is an insult. I wouldn't like to be told that I can only afford things because of my parents.

I then go on to say that the only reason the parent part was in there was to refer to highschool students. You failed to read once again. Don't stop at what you dislike and then reply to it. Because I clearly stated in my post quoting you that the family thing was only there to apply to highschool students. You are failing to read.

As for the bashing XBL, that was in my overall recap. That part was for another player.

Show me where I insulted your personally? I don't see it. I merely gave you advice. If you take things so personal, I am sorry. Do so via PM if you can find it. I truly don't wish to continue this conversation here.

How can you miss type year and month ? Thats not a typo at all. A typo would be if they hit a letter by mistake not typed a different word by mistake.

Many people can live by themself and not have a job. I know a few people who live by themself and on benefits because they cant find a job. So stop trying to cover your tracks when you know you have a wrong opinion.

I think the major age group is actualy 26 for online xbox gaming. It said somewhere I cant remember where but I know it wasnt a childs age.

You didnt say the price was fine.

Forgive me if in the thousand word post I typed I messed up once because I was tired.

As for people living on benefits and disability. It is still income. You're going out on limbs to keep your argument alive, one I never wished to have. I don't understand why you're doing this. I am not coming back to this thread.

I said the price was fine in my second post. In my first post I said I had no interest in paying for it because I don't want it. Then you got angry at me and said I was bashing it. I guess you forgot that part.

[Waggly Bean]
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Typo stands for "typographical error", which is defined as a mistake in printing, typesetting, or typing, especially one caused by striking an incorrect key on a keyboard.

Therefore, it doesn't have to be specifically one letter hit wrong, it can be any sort of mistake in typing. So in summary, you are wrong.

The guy wrote the wrong thing without thinking, leave him alone! :rolleyes:

Dj LynZee
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
i really don't understand why people staunchly defend paying for a feature that in reality should kinda be free. I already pay for my internet. I shouldn't have to play to play online. PC online gaming is free. Why can't xbox live be free?
you people really need a better defense for wanting to spend money.
Frankly, I could care less if I have online anymore for xbox. The community is a cesspool of idiocy nowadays.
I don't care if it is 'just' 50$. it's still money that could be spent on something else or saved.
i also wasn't aware there was such a thing as M$ fanboys... 'cause that's what you all seem like right now... :/

Kamakazi Pear
01-07-2010, 12:50 AM
It's Microsoft... 'Nuff said?

ravensfanyuya
01-07-2010, 01:01 AM
only time u can have free gold is on those free gold weekends but they only have that like every 3-4 months and just had it on new years

GhOsT SLaYeR
01-07-2010, 04:31 AM
FYI (didn't read 2 to see if this was said b4 but..) Microsoft doesn't make much money off consoles, most from live Chance = 0%

OneSweetShannon
01-07-2010, 05:05 AM
i really don't understand why people staunchly defend paying for a feature that in reality should kinda be free. I already pay for my internet. I shouldn't have to play to play online.

How does paying for your internet in any way support the Live service? The revenue from memberships isn't pure profit to MS, its used to fund the steady-state service as well as updates, future features, party support, etc. You need internet to access the service, but they are two different services and your payment to your ISP provider in no way offsets the cost to provide Live to you.

Understand that Live is a luxury service. We aren't entitled to it. But for what is provided, it is a bargain at the prices we pay. I don't think anyone is spending money for the sake of spending money here, and obviously everyone has to judge for himself or herself if the value justifies the cost. But I'm really surprised that people think it should be free.

VisionsOfDemise
01-07-2010, 05:53 AM
After having owned a PS3 for a while, I think I'll stick with the 360 and pay for Gold. Fucking hell it's worth it, get a PS3 and you'll find out what I mean. Syncing your trophies every time you get one only to be greeted with an error every time because Sony's servers are utter shit, but they won't acknowledge the fault... Then with the next firmware update it's miraculously fixed, LOL.

Not being a fan boy or anything but 360 > PS3. Pay for gold, stop bitchin'

MisaaAmane
01-07-2010, 05:59 AM
As for your statement that you were typing how people could afford it. You just stated that they could leech off of their parents.

Then you go on to tell me that I was bashing people who lived with their parents. When I didn't. You yourself said that people can afford it via their parent's money. If anything, that is an insult. I wouldn't like to be told that I can only afford things because of my parents.

I then go on to say that the only reason the parent part was in there was to refer to highschool students. You failed to read once again. Don't stop at what you dislike and then reply to it. Because I clearly stated in my post quoting you that the family thing was only there to apply to highschool students. You are failing to read.

Once again..
I didn't stop to read where I didn't like,
i decided to talk about what I thought was wrong.
As for you trying to indicate the fact that they are high school students, I know perfectly fine too. As well as how many high school students get allowance (last time I checked that wasn't leeching or insulting to any one). Or many high school students who have a part time job. (I just got out of high school and I have the insights lol)
I don't understand why are you active so agressive towards everyone.
Never once I told you that you were bashing people who live with parents? the only sentence I used that word in was about bashing xbl and it did not mention you personally.
As for giving me advise... I don't think that this miserable masking for an insult is going to fool any one, you clearly stated that I can't read, and implied I was dumb.
No I don't want to take it as far as PM'ing you a nd starting a thing over it.
I merely wanted to state that the fact that some one lives with their parents and in highschool, cannot be used to argue either side of this conflict, because there's too much variable factor.
Which some how caused you to attack me, state that I just don't pay attention etc. when you didn't really pay attention to my intentions in the first place. 3 times you now reminded me that i missed the point of your *live with family* use, but some how you've completely missed the point of what I was saying.
So please take things a little more lightly, I don't want to take things to a personal level, I do not wish to insult you and I apologize for any assumptions or inconvinience I may have caused by trying to make my point. Next time I'll try and state things more clearly, so there is no missunderstanding on both sides. lol

MisaaAmane
01-07-2010, 06:03 AM
yep, shame on you.

i don't care how the ending was, but your name is going in the Death Note now :p

xDD but I don't want to die!
how about I pinky promise to finally get one? :p
then its like :drunk

iKhaotic
01-07-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't care if it is 'just' 50$. it's still money that could be spent on something else or saved.
i also wasn't aware there was such a thing as M$ fanboys... 'cause that's what you all seem like right now... :/

i agree with you there on the "it's not just $50". while i don't mind paying for XBL, i still believe that they should charge some amount of money for the service. they need the money from the subscriptions to keep the servers running. since it's not just $50, it's still money, which i why i always search around for the best deal when it comes to the subscription cards. my current 12 months costed me $30 and when i factor in all the fun i've had using the Gold membership, it was $30 well spent.

and i'm not sure who you're directing that last line at, but i'm not a Microsoft fanboy. i don't favor any company over others. i justified what i said from what i believe and experienced. lol my 3 favorite consoles are PS2, 360, and N64 for crying out loud xD

xDD but I don't want to die!
how about I pinky promise to finally get one? :p
then its like :drunk

i'll hold you to that :)

MisaaAmane
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
i'll hold you to that :)
Alright :Angel

R Rated Love
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM

Somewhat off-topic rant, but why does defending Microsoft make someone a fanboy? I'm against racism - does that mean I'm black? I'm against homophobia - does that mean I'm gay? :rolleyes: I'm slowly starting to remember why I stopped posting here in the first place.

(Before anyone tries to be a genius, I'm aware that using my metaphor would imply that I'm Microsoft, but I feel my message is still clear)