PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to buy 2 wireless network adapters for xbox360?

alton
01-06-2010, 05:12 AM
well i got around 130 bucks saved up. my dad said that we needed to buy 2 of those wireless adapters one that hookes up to the xbox360 and another that hooks up to the computer or the modem something like that. Is that true or do we need to just buy 1?

MoonSka
01-06-2010, 05:19 AM
While you only need one wireless adapter for your Xbox, you will need a wireless router in order to create a wireless network for your Xbox 360 to connect to. Check out this page on the xbox.com website:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/xboxlive/getconnected/hcxl/sbswirelesscon.aspx

Psycho Chickan
01-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Depends on how you want it to work.

The best way is to ensure you have a wireless modem or router. This is the infrastructure model and means that you have a single point making wireless available to all devices. Then you just need one wireless adaptor per device you want to connect.

What your old man sounds like he's talking about is an ad hoc connection where you have a wireless device on two computers and then share then internet computer from the PC through to the Xbox. If that is the case then you would need to have a wireless card for your Xbox and also one for your PC. Your PC would connect to the internet via whatever means it does and then share this internet connection to the wireless network.

With the ad hoc method you'd also need to ensure you're actually able to do this with Xbox 360 as I've never heard of it working. Check out this site for more info

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox/xboxlive/getconnected/setupahomenetwork/wireless.aspx

Deviantelf
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
On the positive side, you can usually pick up a wireless router cheaper than a wireless adapter for the 360 (at least in the US). Walmart usually has ones for $50 or under for a basic one. Usually they have ethernet ports for wired connections to pc too, typically 4 ports, so you don't have to worry if your pc isn't wireless capable.

Just make sure to change the password to the router setup, then set an SSID and password (sometimes called passcode or keyword, etc) which in English is the network name and password a pc or device (like the xbox) needs to get on the network. They are usually under the router's settings, then wireless or wireless security.

Psycho Chickan
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
That's a good point, they're about $70 and under for a good one in Aus as well.

Just do yourself a favour and do some internet research about setting up secure wireless networks. Not sure what it's like overseass but there are a bundle of people here in Melbourne, Aus that just "plug and play" so we have unsecure networks everywhere.

Unsecure wireless network = anyone within range can connect and use = People will use up all your allocated downloads and use your internet for free.

I go the whole hog with mine, complex keys, mac filtering, etc. Just read up on all the options, pick a good router and you'll be set for ages. Talk your Dad into buying himself a laptop and you can then split the cost of the router with him as it will benefit him as well ;)

MachineZed
01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
To put it simpler than the previous posts. Yes you need a send and receive. The wireless router is send and the xbox adapter is the receive.