PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft unveils Xbox Live Game Room

davhth4
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I tried searching but no matter what I did the search button just wouldnt work for me right now and I couldnt find this manualy here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a194705/microsoft-unveils-xbox-live-game-room.html

Microsoft has unveiled a new online Game Room enabling players to create their own arcade and then invite friends over to play retro-style titles.
During a presentation at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the firm showcased its new digital gaming space for PC and Xbox 360, which will officially launch in the spring.
The service, which bears some similarities to Sony's PlayStation Home, will enable players to "trick out" their own arcade and then compete with friends in Avatar form.
Around 30 games will be available at launch, mostly retro-style titles such as Millipede, Space Hawk, Sea Battle and Astrosmash. The range will expand to 1,000 different games over the next three years, with each priced at around 240-400 MS points (2-3.50).
In a leaked video posted on Joystiq, Xbox president of entertainment & devices Robbie Bach said that Game Room will appeal to a generation of older gamers who grew up with retro titles such as Centipede.
"I think what we're gonna find is that when people can get 30 or more of these games, they're gonna love it for the experience. And it's not just you and I who are gonna love it, even the people who would call themselves 'hardcore gamers' are gonna say, 'Oh wow this is fun!" In a retro way," he said.
"It's sort of like my daughter going to watch [rock group] Journey. I'm like, this is a band that was playing when I was growing up. And she thinks it's a cool band and I like the music. And I think you're gonna have the same phenomenon with Game Room. We're gonna enjoy the games and they're gonna think it's cool. I think that's very powerful."
Any games purchased from the service will also be transferable between PC and Xbox 360 platforms, with shared leaderboards and Achievements.

And for the trailer http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a194726/trailer-xbox-live-game-room-launch.html

---
This seems interesting I hope they use it well and that we get some good arcade games on it.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Tufty
01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeh, I was this on Inside Xbox earlier, it look's fun so I may consider picking up, but depending on it's price. Though I think that it will probably release for free and sell different Arcade Packages in DLC, like family games night.

davhth4
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Well if you read the entire thing is says the thing will be like ps3 home which is free but they will charge you per game which will be 240-400 MS points per game. So not too bad.

R a z z a
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
This looks sweet i hope it is only 240-400 MS points and ill be buying all of them haha. Hope to play all you guys on there when it comes out :P

BTW Good find bud i havern't read about this before :)

ferrari360max
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4126-CES--Game-Room-Coming-To-Xbox-Live-With-Over-1000-Games.html
Was on the front page.
I personally cant wait for it.

Tufty
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
240-400 per game, them I'll definitely not be picking this up, on the video he had like 2500 MSP I'm the game room. Sorry for not reading it properly, I really needed to take a slash and I wasn't moving until I got to the end of that article.

Dustinator
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Here is a more detailed update on the Xbox Live Game Room. Has more specifics on how it's gonna work. Taken from here http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177527

Microsoft announced its Game Room (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177524) yesterday at the CES keynote, but details of how the service will work are still coming out. While it's being widely seen as Microsoft's answer to PlayStation Home, the Avatars don't actually walk around their game space like they do in Home. On the other hand, this also means no waiting in line for arcade cabinets, which has been a point of frustration for some Home users. The Game Room itself is a free download, and will serve as a hub for the purchasable arcade cabinets. Microsoft is also pushing cross-platform play, letting players purchase Game Room items once and then play on both Xbox 360 and PC.

Once purchased, the titles will include online leaderboards and achievements, as well as online and offline multiplayer. Players can invite friends over to their Game Room to play, and the invitee can try a friend's game before plunking down their own MSP. The service will launch new games every week, and in addition to the 30 available at launch, Microsoft is aiming for over 1,000 titles over the course of three years. That's about six new releases per week. The pricing, announced last night, is tiered by licenses. The 400 Point ($5) option lets players use a cabinet on both Xbox 360 and PC, while the 240 Point ($3) option is for just one platform or the other. If you only wanted to play on one platform anyway, you're in luck. The 40 Point (50 cents) option is said to provide "two quarters" of playtime.

sweatdog
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm excited by this. I assume the titles listed on the video are the 30 launch titles for the room. I can easily see myself buying 5 to 6 of those (Adventure is a MUST!). The chance to earn achievements on Atari 2600 and Intellivsion games is a great thing to this old gamer. I've been watching the comments here and on Game Informer's site. What's funny is that the discussion on GI's site has devolved into open warfare between PS3 and 360 fanboys. Hopefully, we'll keep it a little more civil here.

OneSweetShannon
01-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't like the 40 point option. If I want to try a game, I want a free demo, not to have to pay, even if it's only 50 cents.

Does anyone know if there will be achievements?

CaptainSpanner
01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I cant wait for this. Hopefully it wont dissapoint like the whole avatar system seemed to. I'll definately get it.

CaptainSpanner
01-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know if there will be achievements?

Yes, there will be. I saw a screenshot of the game andone had an "Achievement Unlocked" in the corner. Not sure if it will be a 200 or a 1000 game though?

EDIT: Shit, Sorry for the double post, i didnt even notice. I thought Shannon posted after my last...

Dustinator
01-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Here's the 30 games that were showed off in the vid at CES. Keep in mind these aren't "officially announced" yet.

1. Centipede (arcade)
2. Asteroids Deluxe (arcade)
3. Tempest (arcade)
4. Crystal Castles (arcade)
5. Lunar Lander (arcade)
6. Jungler (arcade)
7. Road Fighter (arcade)
8. Scramble (arcade)
9. Finalizer (arcade)
10. Tutankham (arcade)
11. Shao-Lin's Road (arcade)
12. Super Cobra (arcade)
13. Red Baron (arcade)
14. Gravitar (arcade)
15. Battlantlis
16. Astrosmash (Intellivision)
17. Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing (Intellivision)
18. Armor Battle (Intellivision)
19. Space Hawk (Intellivision)
20. Sub Hunt (Intellivision)
21. Sea Battle (Intellivision)
22. Space Armada (Intellivision)
23. Astrosmash (Intellivision)
24. Star Raiders (Atari 2600)
25. Outlaw (Atari 2600)
26. Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600)
27. Millipede (Atari 2600)
28. Football (Atari 2600)
29. RealSports Tennis (Atari 2600)
30. Combat (Atari 2600)

Found here http://kotaku.com/5442810/the-first-30%252B-games-for-microsofts-new-game-room

BG AzN
01-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Hah I find the 40 point option amusing. Their "trying" to get you to feel like your in an arcade, but it's more like a money scam by the looks of it by not letting you play it at all unless you pay something.

boblosanchez
01-08-2010, 02:23 AM
I definitely look forward to this. I always appreciate having a somewhat decent way to use avatars instead of just having them stand around in your dashboard 75% of the time.

MJGB
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
If you can get achievements for the 'one play', then this is fantastic as there will be no obligation to purchase, just skill based 'reward'. Seems like a great addition to XBL.

lenny m
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
it sounds fun

Hudson888
01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like it could be pretty cool, i dont really know what Playstation home is as i dont have a PS3.