View Full Version : So it seems my controller is screwed, but can I fix it?

01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
So, a year ago on Christmas, I got a Wal-Mart exclusive "dragon" controller for Christmas. I used it all the time because it seemed nicer, and my original's analog stick covers were peeling off.

Well, lately, my controller disconnects at every tiny thing. Mainly anything that makes it vibrate. If it has to start vibrating, it shuts off completely.

I'll give examples of when it happens in games;

Red Faction Guerrilla;
Whenever I swing my hammer, it turns off.

Left 4 Dead;
Whenever a zombie hits me, whenever a team-mate shoots me, whenever I pick something up, whenever I activate something. It shuts off.

Fallout 3;
Whenever I jump and land/fall off of something, whenever I shoot, whenever I change locations, whenever I open up my Pip-boy, it will turn off.

Call of Duty;
When I shoot, when I knife, when there is a grenade/special that goes off, switching weapons, activating equipment, when I get shot, when throwing a grenade, when sprinting, when jumping, when landing, when falling, when crouching/going prone, when calling in a killstreak

Information that may help/ may have been missed;
It is this controller exclusive to Wal-Mart; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10568386

I use a rechargable battery with all of my controllers, but recently those stopped working with this one, and now I use normal batterys.

it is 1 year old.

So, is it fixable, or should I just go to Best Buy and get a new controller? Since I cannot play two-player games anymore, and if I need to boost with two-controllers, I cannot.

01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Is it wired?

01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
No it is not. I do not buy wired mainly because I sit far away from my TV screen, farther than the wired controllers can go. So I go wireless.

01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Hmmm, that's strange. Maybe the wires are mis-connected.(You know when wires are connected to each other or to some other parts) Have you tried opening it and see if there is any mis-wiring?

01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
go to Amazon as they have got a huge sale on of Xbox360 peripherals

01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Opening it up would be the tricky part. It requires a #8 Security Torx screwdriver (warning: a #8 security torx bit will not fit in 2 of the screw holes). Once you get it open, Try disconnecting the vibration motors and test it to see if the problem persists.

01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I have not opened it yet, and I should probably get my dad to do it, because I am nowhere near the knowledge of wiring. But I will get it open and check it.

At first, I thought it was because of the fact that I got it at Wal-Mart seeing as it is a Wal-Mart exclusive. I refuse to buy any electronic equipment from Wal-Mart, because it all dies on me. But since this one was a gift, I couldn't help it.

I did like this one, but I've had nothing but bad luck with Wal-Mart, so I stereotype everything there as faulty. It would've been better if it was sold in other places so that I would be able to see if it was a persistent problem by the company, or just my controller.

01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
best chance is to buy the screw driver you need from ebay, remove the vibrate motors, see if that helps. if it does, get your old controller, remove the vibrators from it then put them in your dragon.

01-08-2010, 01:32 AM
That happened to my regular MS controller and all i did was change the batteries and it stopped happening.