PDA

View Full Version : Project Natal Thoughts!

Hudson888
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I Searched to see if there was anything like this and couldnt find anything so sorry if there is somewhere!!

With Natal coming out this fall what are people thoughts on it so far, what are people expecting from it, and what would you like to see.

Is there anything you would want it to do or not do!

Personally im not sure i like the idea of controller free gaming, i couldnt imagine playing COD without a controller in hand. But i do like the idea of being able to scroll through menus by waving my hand, for example, when watching a film, instead of signing my controller in and out i can skip, pause, play etc with my hands....But then how would it work, would it mean everytime you move it would think your trying to do something???

specVjavi
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
i honestly havent been following up on the whole Natal thing, its not very intriguing to me as of right now. Maybe as the release day gets closer and we have more details, that will change, but for now its like meh to me.

YoungWarrior111
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with you, I think that there will be times when Natal will work well, I'm sure there will be an abundance of arcade games that are good fun, and are made for Natal.
However, I agree with the thought of major retail games like CoD. It will be difficult to have full retail games developed to work with this format, or even designed specifically.

Natal will have its uses, but for me, Ill be waiting a while before I get it. I think its Microsofts project for the family market, with the Wii obviously having the stranglehold.

kall5ter
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
i'll def be getting it no matter what, its out before christmas?

moshr666
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
yes it is out before xmas '10. i predict a november release, give parents a chance to get to the shops to purchase before xmas

think this will be ground breaking if it works correctly, lets hope there isnt too many bugs and no RROD or the natal version of it

Elit3Ski11s
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
its all going to come down to what it does and how well it does it.

I have the wii and i havent touched it in 1 year. Im looking to sell it now.

So if its pretty much the same as that im going to pass.

Muhnamana
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
As of right now, I have no interest in Natal. Maybe once it gets closer to release and some more details as to what it can and can't do, maybe I'll take a second look.

Gackt
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I have no interest in it at all really...If I wanted to interact with a game and jump around looking foolish I would have bought a Wii.

Nozza XBA
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Not interested in it! This is why my family brought a Wii, which by the way I never play!

This is just gonna make people more lazy I feel. You can now scroll through the menus and play games one handed and eat you burger at the same time.. no need for controller! Its a fat kids dream!

Tbh, I think its useless peice of kit, but I'm guessing its gonna sell and some aspects of it will be good but im sticking with my controller.. I'm not ready to give up a 17 year odd habit of holding one just yet!

Lil Miss Nikki
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I have been doing some reading up on natal and I have got to admit it is a good addition especially for getting people up and moving about, I do think with certain games though it may end up being a pain whereas with other games it's going to make the experience alot better.

I myself will deffinetly get this for my Xbox 360 when it's released.

farddin
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM
no one really cares that much about it, imstill hyped up about mw2 lol
once theres liek a week t release i might do some reasearch up on it ;~}

dakisbac
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
From the start, I haven't been a fan. As far as I'm concerned, this is a feature that is unnecessary and just a way to jump on the motion sensing bandwagon, which has proved fruitful for Nintendo. If it ends up working like it's supposed to (or how they are advertising it) then I'll not only be surprised, but may end up being enthusiastic about the whole thing. That said, even if turns out to be great I will ALWAYS prefer to have a controller in my hand. And, I will be especially pissed if they end up making it mandatory to play some games.

DarkTharen
01-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I am excited to see if they try to incorporate games like COD with Natal. Even if you didn't have a controller you could still have a prop like a fake gun. I have seen FPS games like that in the arcades and I find them very fun. The down side would be to see how long you could last holding up the prop (Fake gun) and for how long. I can't imagine they haven't thought about that being that FPS games are the #1 genre that are purchased.

Also I can see it being very useful on different strategy type games like Red Alert 3, Any Civilization game, Halo Wars, and the list can go on. I tend to get those types of games for PC (when available) because it is easier to play with a mouse than a controller.

Just my thoughts and I will be getting one as long as it is under the price of a new Xbox 360.

Nathan WV10
01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I think its going to be way better than the nintendo wii :D

CLB Fight Club
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't think it's going to be that good. I have a Nintendo Wii and while it was fun (especially Mario Kart), it didn't last that long as i only played on the Wii up to two months after we got it, also during that time my Xbox 360 was broken so as soon as it was repaired i dumped the Wii.
As for Project Natal being better than the Wii i don't think it will be as the Wii isn't all that serious, it's mainly just aimed aimed at some friends having a laugh but the 360 is a serious console and everone's anticipating too much and it won't meet people's expectations. Plus in comparing prices i doubt hardly anyone will buy an Xbox with Natal over a Wii so it's only market it current Xbox users.

balance13
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't really care about it. I hate the Wii even though it can be fun. But I just don't see my self playing that way, I prefer my controller

R a z z a
01-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I mean it sounds a good idea but i think it will be like the nintendo Wii which i have, i used it when it was new and then never used it since. I mean it will be cool at first, but i come opn the xbox to chill out not to be jumping and running around... i just want to hold the controller at the most :)

adriano28
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Why are people saying it will be like the nintendo wii? does 'controller free gaming' give you a hint as to whether it will be like the wii. Let's face it. With the wii, you were restricted with what you could do because you had a controller in hand. With natal, there's no controller, therefore more variety. Im expecting big things with this. Im hoping that the voice activation will work. That's the only thing that concerns me with natal.

YounG SnappeR
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I play video games to relax ... not to jump around like a hyper active kid. Imo the system doesn't apply to me.. at all.

Seddo
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
As long as the 360 game market doesn't suddenly get filled up with all the crappy party games and gimicy games like the Wii, then it can't be that bad.

I like the idea of scrolling the dashboard menus by just moving your hands though.

Hudson888
01-08-2010, 05:49 PM
As long as the 360 game market doesn't suddenly get filled up with all the crappy party games and gimicy games like the Wii, then it can't be that bad.

Thats what i would be worried about, thats bascially why i dont like the Wii.

It seems alot of people like using a controller as well, so when Microsoft keep going on about controller free gaming like everyone wants it, who are they asking??

I would be happy with it, if the split it up, so you still have your normal games i.e with a controller, and then your party games, where you jump around. I dont want to be forced in to jumping around, i want to choose to do it if i want!

JB x360a
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I must of been walking around with my eyes closed this is first i have heard of it! i have done some quick resaerch and looks fun but i do worry that loads of games companies will jump on the bandwagon and add achievements that you need to use Natal to get. I would like to bet that the rumoured price of 50 is way off the mark though.

garyofdoom
01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
i think that it is a crappy wii/playstation eye gimmick and the games it has shown just suck

bapae
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
i think its going to ruin gaming and hope it turns out bad and hope nobody buys it and no games use it just like the stupid vision cam.

adriano28
01-08-2010, 06:52 PM
i think that it is a crappy wii/playstation eye gimmick and the games it has shown just suck

From the games you play, ill take the guess that your the type of person who follows the rule 'gory = cool' (or a shooting fanboy)

davhth4
01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I think it will be interesting and its nothing like the wii. Its more like the vision cam with the game on xbox live called totem something or more like the eye toy. Its nothing like the wii since with the wii you need to have a controller or something a controller and a board or a controller and a nun-chuck or even all 3.

I dont know if it will be good but will be weird and intenresting.

Something the next generation of gamers might find better than the controller since we have been used to controllers we find it usual and find it just what we should use.

garyofdoom
01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
im not really a shooter fanboy but a microsoft paint that you control with your body doesnt appeal to me

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Why are people saying it will be like the nintendo wii? does 'controller free gaming' give you a hint as to whether it will be like the wii. Let's face it. With the wii, you were restricted with what you could do because you had a controller in hand. With natal, there's no controller, therefore more variety. Im expecting big things with this.At least someone in this thread gets it. I'm expecting big things too. The variety compared to a handheld motion controller is unlimited. It's possible they could drop the ball with this 3D camera, but I think most people are looking at the potential for Natal the wrong and stupidest possible way.

I read assinine things line "oh geez! I don wanna run in teh livin room all day playin COD lol!" Who in their right mind really thinks developers will make you do all the running in an FPS? Fuck, you people are stupid. :rolleyes:

Think of it this way: Imagine how many times you wished you could throw a grenade the way YOU wanted to. Imagine still having the controller in hand, but being able to take one hand off to toss a grenade overhand, underhand, sidearm around a corner, behind you, dropping it, throwing it straight up without even looking, anything you want; all with the velocity of your own motion. This is what I imagine will be done with Natal in a game like this. Is anyone following me here?

The reason I don't think they'll drop the ball is because in essence, they don't have to invent anything new to do, just let you use your body the way you really would in certain situations.

Afro Ninja
01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm just wondering how Guitar Hero 6 would work on it?

Dz06lt
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM
i think its a giant suck fest i hate the idea of it its just a wii rip off

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm just wondering how Guitar Hero 6 would work on it?I think an air guitar would be a step backwards or sideways, but I think learning real chords and finger positions on a real world guitar wouldn't be out of the question.

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 01:38 AM
i think its a giant suck fest i hate the idea of it its just a wii rip offWhen you get your ass kicked by all the FPS gamers using Natal to throw grenades to the exact pixel without even using the look stick you'll jump on board or stay in your own suck fest. :)

Dz06lt
01-19-2010, 01:47 AM
When you get your ass kicked by all the FPS gamers using Natal to throw grenades to the exact pixel without even using the look stick you'll jump on board or stay in your own suck fest. :)

no i wont, i refuse to use kiddie gimmicks to play games. M$ and sony are jelous of the tons of cash that ninty have earned with these toys and they want their cut. Ive played games with motion controlls they are shit

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 02:06 AM
no i wont, i refuse to use kiddie gimmicks to play games. M$ and sony are jelous of the tons of cash that ninty have earned with these toys and they want their cut. Ive played games with motion controlls they are shitsee post 32. :)

Dz06lt
01-19-2010, 02:13 AM
^
Step 1 go buy a Wii
Step 2 get Driver parralell lines
Step 3 slap yourself for praising motion controlls

if thats not enough

replace wii with a PS3
replace driver with LAIR
replace step 3 with allowing a friend or loved one kick you in the nuts

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 02:38 AM
^
Step 1 go buy a Wii
Step 2 get Driver parralell lines
Step 3 slap yourself for praising motion controlls

if thats not enough

replace wii with a PS3
replace driver with LAIR
replace step 3 with allowing a friend or loved one kick you in the nutsYou have stupid for breakfast every day don't you? :) This is about Natal, not Wii. If I was talking about how good a Porsche was, you'd chime in on how much you hate Smart Cars. :rolleyes:

Dz06lt
01-19-2010, 02:42 AM
NATAL = MOTION CONTROLLS your the one who doesnt seem to get it perhaps your breakfast of champions needs replaced. Oh yeah you may be new here but you may want to read the site rules about insulting other members which is not allowed. perhaps you should have a good night sir

Gackt
01-19-2010, 02:43 AM
You have stupid for breakfast every day don't you?

Fuck, you people are stupid. :rolleyes:

Think of it this way: Imagine how many times you wished you could throw a grenade the way YOU wanted to.

I seriously doubt Natal will have the types of games you're thinking about... it seems more based towards family games/party games/ kid stuff. Not serious shooters or anything serious for that matter.

And the name calling was uncalled for. Knock it off.

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I seriously doubt Natal will have the types of games you're thinking about... it seems more based towards family games/party games/ kid stuff. Not serious shooters or anything serious for that matter.

And the name calling was uncalled for. Knock it off.I will stop it this instant.

I think it's possible they could ruin the potential and do what you say. If Natal only has those type of games and doesn't have the kind of games I'm thinking about I won't support it.

elephantd
01-19-2010, 03:08 AM
I remember reading somewhere, that Mircosoft or whatever, was making sure games like MW2,halo,gears and such weren't going to be on natal because it's much easier/better with a controller?

Anyways I want some natal fittness damn it! lol

Imagine the achievements! lol

gameplayer
01-19-2010, 03:09 AM
I remember reading somewhere, that Mircosoft or whatever, was making sure games like MW2,halo,gears and such weren't going to be on natal because it's much easier/better with a controller?

Anyways I want some natal fittness damn it! lol

Imagine the achievements! lolI wish they would combo the two though. Fitness achievements would be cool for a change. :)

ThaFireman
01-19-2010, 05:42 AM
I like the idea, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see more footage because I don't think it will work as good as it looks.

awesomepizza
01-19-2010, 06:01 AM
I hate to brake it to the people who think this is going to be like sci fi interactive screens born into the world.

This will be you, standing in front of your TV, waving you arms around. Without a controller, the movement will be awkward, and ill defined. You will hate it. Have you played CoD on the Wii? It is awkward and frustrating.

And this isn't the first controllerless controller. Some company tried it in the early 90's with inferred. It worked as about as well as you would expect. And Sega tried it too.

Microsoft is hyping the hell out of it. And the worst part? You think DLC acheivements are bad. Wait until games come with Natal Achievements.

Hitchman
01-19-2010, 07:02 AM
I just want to try out Project Natal, not sure if I have many thoughts about it. I just hope that it gets my girlfriend into gaming on the 360. I will then be able to sell my paper"Wii"weight.

Mr Mancakes
01-19-2010, 07:09 AM
With the Project natal coming out i think that part of me wants to try it it might enhance my gaming but at the same time me sitting down getting a overkill in halo in a really comfratable chair sounds really good.

CLAPSTER
01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't see why people say we will hate it when no one has tried it. I read it got compared to the Wii?

I'm neutral about it, not hyped but interested nonetheless. :p

Giptuc
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Why do people keep saying this will be the same as the Wii? I have a Wii, and yeh, its gets boring after a while, but people need to realise that the Wii has a sensor that picks up a CONTROLLER.

Project Natal has a RBG Camera that picks up limbs, joints and body movements across your entire body... yes they are both motion sensors, but sense it completely different.

I for one cannot wait to get it and try it out. I will still be playing some games with a controller, but cant wait to try out moving through out the dashboard and games with a mere flick of my hand. If they can pull this off well, there are many differnet things this can be put to use in, including TV's and Computers.

TheChupacabra10
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Overall it seems like the sentiment is the same for most people which also includes me.

I like the controller and im not one for the whole wii scenario. I played wii and it got old quick and Im feeling the same towards Natal. I also agree that there will be some decent arcade games but overall I hope they dont do much to ruin my experience playing fps with the controller

Sean 94
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Project Natal = Fail.

The Xbox360 is great as it is, we don't need that casual Wii crap.

Manic Ado
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
everyone needs to chill...

sweatdog
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
My concern is that Microsoft will have so much invested in the success of Natal that they will require developers to incorporate some play mechanic using motion controls in order to justify their investment. Motion control is a fascinating technology, but it is far from able to provide precise control necessary for many popular game genres. Sure, it's okay for family party games, but Call of Duty, Gears of War, Bioshock and other games that appeal to enthusiasts require much more precise control. I feel that Nintendo didn't allow developers the freedom to use traditional controls in games for the Wii, tying the hands of developers and resulting in lackluster games released by third party publishers. I do think it has potential for the future of gaming once the technology catches up, however.

B1GM13
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Meh to Natal.

I've got a Nintendo Wii, and am very happy with the titles i've got for it, and what's coming out for it (New Zelda, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M) :)

Retom7
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I am excited about it. As far as I'm concerned, if it works the way it should, then the Wii would be obsolete and completely out of touch with what the Natal is capable of. Wii at the moment can sense plastic paddles with a wire in between. I appreciate it's novelty, but that's about it.

As far as the Natal is concerned, facial recognition and no controllers seems amazing. I like the idea of quiz games and whatever else. I agree that games like CoD are fine as they are on the controller, but where else can they go in the future? Natal can incorporate different things, like recognize body movements as character movements combined with a controller. I have no intention of standing in front of the TV with a plastic gun, but what if it worked where you could get up on a corner and lean your body left to lean away from the corner to the left? This would leave your hands free for the other controls. Overall, I think it could be an amazing feature in future gaming.

I'm excited that they are thinking outside the box. The PS2 Eye Toy or whatever it was was neat. It was just never used beyond shitty games. Same with the Xbox Vision camera. The only think I've used mine for is putting my face on my R6: Las Vegas character. The problem is not the technology, it's the gaming development. I don't want to see them make everything include the Natal, but if a few good gaming companies utilize the technology for additional features in games then I would be happy. I don't think it should be necessary to own one, yet, but similar to having the steering wheel for racing games, or the flight sticks, it should be available to add on to the experience.

+1 for Natal from me!

Retom7
01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess my biggest point that I never stated clearly was that Natal will be a plus so long as it's not treated as a gimmick... like the Wii. Of course, gimmicky games will hit the arcade for sure!

Volzagia
01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Its a good idea i think but im not too excited

McKaystyles
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
stoked!

its going to be awesome!

Hudson888
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm just wondering how Guitar Hero 6 would work on it?

Wasnt there a video of microsoft "testing" new tech stuff, where they strapped things to your arms to pick up movements, and they had guitar hero in the video, and they were basically doing air guitar. Im sorry but doing air guitar isnt goin to be more realistic than playing a guitar. So i dont want to see this controller free gaming!!!!!!!!!!

rvlution
01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
At first I rejected the idea of Natal. But, after thinking about it, I do think this thing has potential. As long as they keep putting out full games and not half-baked mini games (a la Wii) I have hopes.

Xerofox
01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Natal is like having a retarded girlfriend, plenty of fun in the beginning until your friends see you. And if talking to a TV isn't bad, wait till it gets an attitude. No sorry, already got a girlfriend for that.

My guess, lot's of mini games and half baked extra features.

Giptuc
01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Natal is like having a retarded girlfriend, plenty of fun in the beginning until your friends see you.

omfg rofl hahaha. thats so bad its funny.

gameplayer
01-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Wasnt there a video of microsoft "testing" new tech stuff, where they strapped things to your arms to pick up movements, and they had guitar hero in the video, and they were basically doing air guitar. Im sorry but doing air guitar isnt goin to be more realistic than playing a guitar. So i dont want to see this controller free gaming!!!!!!!!!!That's just testing. I don't want to play air guitar either. Since Natal can sense anything as little as a finger twitch, a realisitic and ultimate goal would be playing with an actual guitar in your hands and using real chords and finger positions. This would make those gay 5 button plastic guitars obsolete.

The Ultrafiend
01-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Project Natal looks impressive, granted. Shit, it LOOKS out of this world.

And yet... I remember the ad campaign for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. Virtual Boy anybody? Looked amazing didn't it.

Then six games got released for it with two things in common:
a.) they were shit.
b.) they sent 95% of people who played them into waking seizure comas.

It's a step in the right direction but they haven't had time to de-mine that direction yet. Natal is going to fail on an epic, epic scale.

CLAPSTER
01-20-2010, 07:32 AM
It says it does not replace the controller so why does everyone say they do not want to play something without it. Like it says it will not replace the controller. I most likely will get this. :woop: :p

Graivul
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I am not impressed by the glossy sugar coated Microsoft video promoting the unit, and I am definitely not impressed by the weird little kid who starts talking to you.

The technology seems sound enough, like many others here have already pointed out, and it seems like an interesting development for sure.

The make or break for me which is keeping me somewhat cynical about the unit, is how it will integrate into the Xbox from a software point of view.

If it is going to be a load of "oh look I can have a conversation with a fake kid", or "watch me make ripples in this computer generated water" type applets then forget it. If they manage to actually use it with some decent original games where it is actually a viable controller then I may show an interest.

Only time will tell.....

gameplayer
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Project Natal looks impressive, granted. Shit, it LOOKS out of this world.

And yet... I remember the ad campaign for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. Virtual Boy anybody? Looked amazing didn't it.

Then six games got released for it with two things in common:
a.) they were shit.
b.) they sent 95% of people who played them into waking seizure comas.

It's a step in the right direction but they haven't had time to de-mine that direction yet. Natal is going to fail on an epic, epic scale.It's not impossible for it to fail, but I don't think it will be anywhere near an epic fail. Even if it's good, I think it might divide gamers into love it or hate it opinions, but I think it will also bring in new gamers.
It says it does not replace the controller so why does everyone say they do not want to play something without it. Like it says it will not replace the controller. I most likely will get this. :woop: :pYeah I'm hoping for an integration with some game types. It can't replace a controller for everything because there are a lot of games where something is in your character's hands, like a gun for example. That's still basically a controller with buttons. All the melee attacks in FPS games... well I want to do those myself. That would be a blast.