PDA

View Full Version : I still don't understand why they didn't added achievements for...

Van Dayyyyum
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
... Original Xbox Games on 360. To me it just made sense for Microsoft to do so.

Fair enough if they didn't want to add achievements for games like Timesplitters 2, but why not the games they released on Games on Demand?

One would assume sales would of went up since there is a market for achievement hunters. And I'm still imagining Max Payne achievements in my head :(

What do you guys think? And do you think there's still a possibility that Microsoft will add achievements if the demand is high enough?

DarkTharen
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
This has already been visited and if you didn't understand from before then why would you now?

But here goes it would require major reprogramming of games in order to incorporate achievements. Most of the games they release on demand are there because they are older favorites that they are still trying to get money for. It would be a big waste of resources and money in order to reprogram those games. Understand???

Pretty easy to understand if you understand economics. People develop games in order to make money.

Van Dayyyyum
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
This has already been visited and if you didn't understand from before then why would you now?

But here goes it would require major reprogramming of games in order to incorporate achievements. Most of the games they release on demand are there because they are older favorites that they are still trying to get money for. It would be a big waste of resources and money in order to reprogram those games. Understand???

Pretty easy to understand if you understand economics. People develop games in order to make money.

Thanks a bunch for patronizing me, sir.

I understand that adding achievements for Xbox games would be difficult, although I'm not a video-game designer (like you clearly are) so I didn't understand fully how difficult it would be. Also, the way you speak about it is if though adding achievements for these would cost the earth, which may be true, but wouldn't it be fair to say that by doing so they would make the money back anyway? Because like I said, there is a market for achievements... Just look at how many people are registered here.

But again, I'm not a video-game designer nor am I an economist, I was merely asking a question. So stfuppercut.

littlemissymoo
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
They talked about this on sentyouamessage and they said they not going too on the fact the games designers etc would rather work on newer games then going back to old games just to add achivements

DarkTharen
01-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I am not a video game designer, I read older posts on the same subject. It doesn't cost the world to incorporate achievements into older games. If you look at it from a business aspect if you put money in then you want to get more out than you put in. In the case of those games it would cost more to program in achievements than what they would be able to make. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to spend money if I would end up just loosing it, would you?

Hammer 5O2
01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks a bunch for patronizing me, sir.

I understand that adding achievements for Xbox games would be difficult, although I'm not a video-game designer (like you clearly are) so I didn't understand fully how difficult it would be. Also, the way you speak about it is if though adding achievements for these would cost the earth, which may be true, but wouldn't it be fair to say that by doing so they would make the money back anyway? Because like I said, there is a market for achievements... Just look at how many people are registered here.

But again, I'm not a video-game designer nor am I an economist, I was merely asking a question. So stfuppercut.
No offence bro but no one that worked on the xbox originals wants to go back to the game just to add achievements when they could be working on new and exciting projects with the current gen. Get over it no cares about xbox originals.

D3R3L3CT
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah I gotta agree, it would cost them way too much money and would get very little out of it. It would be nice though =(

Van Dayyyyum
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I am not a video game designer, I read older posts on the same subject. It doesn't cost the world to incorporate achievements into older games. If you look at it from a business aspect if you put money in then you want to get more out than you put in. In the case of those games it would cost more to program in achievements than what they would be able to make. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to spend money if I would end up just loosing it, would you?

In a business standpoint it makes more sense to have added achievements, regardless of the funds. Especially since they would of made it all back, including a large profit, had they done it. Selling Halo on Games on Demand with achievements & leaderboards!!! would of sold unbelievably. But instead we've gotten the exact same game from last-gen just with crappy quality (glitchy, bad sound, etc.)

Besides, why think like businessman working for Microsoft when you're just a gamer, anyway? Let them worry about the funding and whatnot.

Hammer 5O2
01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
In a business standpoint it makes more sense to have added achievements, regardless of the funds. Especially since they would of made it all back, including a large profit, had they done it. Selling Halo on Games on Demand with achievements & leaderboards!!! would of sold unbelievably. But instead we've gotten the exact same game from last-gen just with crappy quality (glitchy, bad sound, etc.)

Besides, why think like businessman working for Microsoft when you're just a gamer, anyway? Let them worry about the funding and whatnot.
Dude figure it out, no one wants to go back to their old games to add achievements into them. They could care less about the finicial gains (or losses), they just want to work on their new projects and work with the current gen console. No reason to argue the point anymore. Simple fact is that you will never have achievements on your xbox original games. Get over it!

D3R3L3CT
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Another good point, they could either spend their time adding achievements to xbox originals or be working on their new projects, and I would prefer new games rather than old ones I've played and beaten already. From a financial standpoint, its smarter just to leave the Xbox originals the way they are.

DarkTharen
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
In a business standpoint it makes more sense to have added achievements, regardless of the funds.

When you say regardless of the funds you throw the business standpoint out the window. Why does anyone start a business? Why would you start a business?

The other great part about living in America is you can go and pitch your idea to those companies about adding achievements. Heck you could even start a business that adds achievements to older games. But I can't imagine that those software companies haven't already looked at it and done there research and found that it wouldn't be profitable.

YounG SnappeR
01-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Microsoft know that some people buy games basically for achievements... so they'd rather put achievements on games that are released with a 60$/40 price tag... as oppose to those people buying orginal xbox games ALOT cheaper and most likely not even off microsoft... they'd lose money simply because people would be getting achievements for a cheaper price..

Hudson888
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I have to say, i have never thought about buying any of the original games again, but if they did add achievements i would do it. But its not going to happen, i guess for the effort involed. Microsoft were probably getting lots of request from people asking for old games to be added on XBLA. Adding achievements to them may not have even crossed there minds!

lenny m
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
If there were acheivements for original xbox games, I would of completed all of my games. I done every inch of completion on all games. Even management games on hockey

iKhaotic
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
older games aren't guaranteed to sell so why would developers waste their time/money on reprogramming the games for achievements when they can work on up to date games for the 360? the reason old Xbox games were added to the marketplace is because they were once top selling in demand games. the money making aspect is there, but the main reason these games are available there is so that people can buy and play these games since most of them are hard to come by.

just my .2 cents lol

Gackt
01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Dude figure it out, no one wants to go back to their old games to add achievements into them. They could care less about the finicial gains (or losses), they just want to work on their new projects and work with the current gen console. No reason to argue the point anymore. Simple fact is that you will never have achievements on your xbox original games. Get over it!

Your posts are annoying. Stop saying get over it..
Do you know how each developer feels about the idea of adding achievements to xbox originals? How do you know some might not want to do that... might not even be as difficult as you think AND it would sell their game more because people would be willing to pay for older games if they had achievements to be gained.

zTiamaTz
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I remember reading and old issue of one of the OXM achievement magazines with an article about this. They programmers for different games and it was said that it only took two people to make the achievements for any given game and that it was relatively inexpensive.

Microsoft stated that these games shouldn't be changed from what was originally done so that they "could be enjoyed as they were meant to be."

Funny thing is Microsoft doesn't seem to mind all the old Atari games or the other older-gen games on Arcade. I think what some of the posters above said was true, Microsoft just doesn't want the competition with newer games.

If last-gen games like 'Black' or 'Stubbs the Zombie' had achievements, I'd definitely buy some of them for a lower price rather then a current game. I think this is what Microsoft is afraid of.

elephantd
01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Agreed i wish some older games would get achievements, PS3 is doing it, why can't Mircosoft?

D3R3L3CT
01-08-2010, 08:33 PM
That's why Microsoft made an $11 billion profit last year and Sony made a $1 billion profit.

Spawn Man
01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
So stfuppercut.

LMFAO! Yeah I wish they'd put achievements in the original games, but alas, it will never be. Sorry for the stick you've been getting from people in this thread though. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO TREAT A ROOKIE! *cough* darktharen *cough*.

gatorbait
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM

How can you look at something from a business standpoint yet compeletely disregard the funds?

What data do you have to back your claim that they would have made all their money back and ended up with a profit?

Sure there's a market, but I would not exactly say that market is a very large one. Your intentions are good but I'm sure business execs, programmers, marketers, etc. have researched the idea enough to realize simply reprogramming these older games for achievements is not worth the time or money. Wishful thinking is great and all but we do have to face reality.

PureTechniquex
01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Achievements = More money for MS,

So i guess it will happen in the future.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
When this was discussed before I understood why not but for Microsoft's point of view and the customer's us it's wanted for money and more fun etc...

But for the game designers point of view it's probably not wanted with new projects and all.

But as much as we want it I can't see it happening as Originals were pulled from the marketplace, so unless they did this so they can bring them back with achievements etc I can't see why they would ever come back at all let alone with achievements.

Even if Originals only offered 500G they would sell more. Maybe Microsoft could just recognise when games are completed and then give gamerscore for completing the game etc rather then having achievements for different in game things.

specVjavi
01-09-2010, 08:22 AM
You could always purchase Call Of Duty Classic. =)

But i too believe that if they tried the Xbox Originals program with achievements, it probably wouldve done a lot better. I know i wouldve purchased the 1st Halo if it had achievements.

Van Dayyyyum
01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Like I said, do you guys think if the demand was high enough they'd add them?

I mean, judging by some of the posts here, a lot of you guys either want achievements for Xbox games or you want achievements for Xbox games but are too busy thinking like a Microsoft employee.

Because I think we should all send Microsoft emails and see where that takes us. Wouldn't hurt, anyway.

v_thorne
01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
This has been discussed many times before.

I don't believe there will ever be achievements for the Originals. Why? I don't know. But if there were, MS would've added them by now honestly.

gatorbait
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Like I said, do you guys think if the demand was high enough they'd add them?

I mean, judging by some of the posts here, a lot of you guys either want achievements for Xbox games or you want achievements for Xbox games but are too busy thinking like a Microsoft employee.

Because I think we should all send Microsoft emails and see where that takes us. Wouldn't hurt, anyway.

I don't think reading a few posts here would lead to a consensus that a vast number of Xbox 360 users would definitely be buying Xbox originals if they had achievements. I'm sure the people at MS and other developers have researched this idea and concluded that it wouldn't be profitable enough. Sure sales might go up, but would that make up for the time and money spent to just go back to old games to add a feature that the majority of Xbox 360 users still don't care a whole lot about.

Thinking like a MS employee is nothing bad like you make it out to be. They are a business and why would it make sense to waste time and money by putting in a system that really doesn't add much to the older games. I would much rather prefer they spend those resources on newer games. Wishful thinking is great but you have to realize that if they really thought it was going to be profitable, then they would have implemented it.

Would it be nice to have them in the older games? Yes.

Is it reasonable and practical at this point? No.

Thehefferkiller
01-09-2010, 06:55 PM

this is all very true, and i think MS wouldn't make that good of cheevo's. it'd require the actually company to do it, and i doubt they have the money or time to actually do it...

ian333333
01-09-2010, 08:21 PM
i think the opportunity should be there for developers to release xbox originals with say 500gs worth of achievements if they want to add them, i doubt it would take much time and effort to add them and it would boost sales of xbox originals...

as it stands i wouldnt download any xbox originals when i could buy a pre owned game for a quarter of the price but if they came with achievements id be tempted to go back to things such as halo 1 + 2, conker live and reloaded, forza, timesplitters ect

PlasmicMuffins
01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
As great as it would be, too many gamers and developers don't care for old games anymore. I agree with your point that they would probably make any money they spend on it back quickly, and people would love older games again, but why not make more money by creating a whole new game that people will be a lot more interested in? Don't get me wrong, I adore the first Halo, it's my favourite one... But people move on to bigger and better things.

Tussell
01-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, I adore the first Halo, it's my favourite one... But people move on to bigger and better things.
God, reading that almost made me cry. It's sad to see games like Halo: Combat Evolved go away... I'll never forget the endless hours that I spent on XBox Connect playing that...

PlasmicMuffins
01-10-2010, 02:05 AM
God, reading that almost made me cry. It's sad to see games like Halo: Combat Evolved go away... I'll never forget the endless hours that I spent on XBox Connect playing that...
Agreed, it was the first Xbox game I've ever played, as well as the first I actually took the time to beat. I was never taken in to a games story before Halo's. It has a place in my heart forever.

Tussell
01-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Agreed, it was the first Xbox game I've ever played, as well as the first I actually took the time to beat. I was never taken in to a games story before Halo's. It has a place in my heart forever.
I probably beat the game well over ten times, and spent at least 1,000 hours on the multiplayer. AT LEAST!

PlasmicMuffins
01-10-2010, 02:11 AM
I probably beat the game well over ten times, and spent at least 1,000 hours on the multiplayer. AT LEAST!
Ah, good times. If I had a nickel for how many times I beat it, I'd have... Thirty cents, I believe. Well, I'm off. >.< I think it's time to play a game or two of Modern Warfare II.