PDA

View Full Version : How hard is APOCALYPTIC?

tpb
01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Title kinda says it all? I wanna enjoy the game - I wont do that if I die every 2 minutes. Is it doable or is it stupidly hard?

HannShotFirst
01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
It kind of depends on how good you are. Be ready to die a few times on most boss battles, unless you prepare for it with health stones and the like. I started on Apocalyptic, and while I can't count the number of times I died, I never stopped enjoying the game. It autosaves often, too, so if you do die it's not likely to set you very far back.

NIN11
01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
im about 5 hours into it and only died 10 times but some of the big creatures and bosses are hard to beat if there fast and u seem to lose alot of health when they hit you so make sure to have at least one heath on you at a time all the time.

MetalMudkip
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
It kind of depends on how good you are. Be ready to die a few times on most boss battles, unless you prepare for it with health stones and the like. I started on Apocalyptic, and while I can't count the number of times I died, I never stopped enjoying the game. It autosaves often, too, so if you do die it's not likely to set you very far back.

Under the "stats" screen or whatever, it tells you how many times you've died.

IISYNII Raid3n
01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I just finished it no more than 10 minutes ago, once you master dodging and get a few good enhancements the only real reason you will die is stupidity. It's not too hard but it's challenging enough that when you die you'll just want to keep going

JiveT
01-08-2010, 11:49 PM
for some stupid reason you can only block when you are standing still otherwise you just dash around and the bigger enemies have attacks with enough range that they hit you out of the dash, the counter system is stupid as shit too and requires bizarre timing I can only do it well with certain enemies some I am not even sure if I can counter the attack or not and the game doesn't attempt to explain this in any detail

that being said it's not that hard but it can be frustrating at times because a couple swipes from the bigger dudes and your health goes down the shitter the only time dying really grates though is when you have to watch some cutscene over and even that is not too bad

I can see people that aren't used to playing games like this having a hell of a time though

iamgift3d
01-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Only died 49 throughout the game. the puzzles are harder then the combat. i personally think this game is meant to be played on apoc.

aussiestatic
01-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Is this game possible to beat without the abyssal amour set on apocalyptic difficulty.

Boneey
01-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Well so far I've been playing about 10 hours died 14 times so far. Out of the actual big boss battles the only one I had any trouble with so far was Tiamat I think I died on her about 4-5 times but thats because I didn't have any health stones and still a little newbish with the dodge. The Griever and the Stygian are a joke even on Apoc, haven't fought spider boss yet though.

knightdedede
01-09-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm breezing through it, first playthrough. Apocalyptic is an exaggeration. It should be called moderately difficult.

colburn
01-09-2010, 05:44 AM
my thoughts the game isnt really hard it can get tough just gotta know how to go about doing things in it as you go. for example going back searching gaining more exp as you would say helps alot as you go on. wish most games this fun was like that feel to it

Mordliss
01-09-2010, 06:07 AM
I started my first play through on Apoc, and I must say I am really enjoying the game. It feels like Normal difficulty on any other game of this type to be honest. You don't need the Abyssal Armor, nor do you really even need all the health shards or the wrath shards in order to be successful. You have to learn each enemy and time your dodges. Most of the game however is puzzel solving. Every boss has a unique pattern and easy counters.

Excellent game though.

- Mord

an1m051ty
01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah the game can be pretty frustrating, mostly due to hit detection/defensive controls. I can't tell you how many times the sword/axe/claw swipe passed underneath me as I jumped, and I still took half a bar of damage. Blocking doesn't seem to work, and, if it does, so many enemies have unblockable attacks anyway that dodging is really the only way to go. And, when it comes to that, many enemies have a combo that will hit you on the second strike if you dodge anyway.

oxXdixonXxo
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not a great gamer, but in no way am I bad. I haven't been playing it long, maybe around an hour and a bit. I'm finding kinda difficult - but only at certain parts. Thats what pisses me off in game though.. being easy one minute, then the next part is crazy hard.

I'm currently doing them arena things on the way to the twilight place - finding the last two really hard :(

Rasjr12
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
It's not to bad though Im stuck in the Black Throne Area where I have to fight a bunch of enemies to swing back across the bridge but can't do it been trying for about a half an hour now

Inked and Pierced
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Most of the eniemies are rather easy to beat. It is only when you face off against the larger eniemies and bosses that it can be difficult but not too bad. Just be patient when fighting those enemies. Attack...wait....defend....then atack again till creature is dead. You cant hack n slash these enemies or you will die...die...die....over and over again.... Good luck....also i dont think you can change the difficulty mid game if it becomes too hard. At least i have not seen where you can do it. So choose carefully!

DethGrenade81
01-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Also keep in mind that the Harvester Scythe leaches life and there are also life leach enhancements. Using the harvester on big hordes of weaker enemies not only deals with the crowd effectively, but it gains you some life back. You also gain more souls from defeated enemies when using the Harvester.

II OE II
01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm breezing through it, first playthrough. Apocalyptic is an exaggeration. It should be called moderately difficult.

i agree myself. What makes it even more easy is when you get death's blessing weapon enhancement and your abyssal armor. Enemies that normally hit me for 1 bar of health do about a sliver... and stoneskin further reduces the damage on top of the uberful Abyssal Armor.

Mr Wuggles1
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Apocalyptic really is not even that hard. If you did a normal play through and you got the abyssal armor you can carry the armor over to a new apocalyptic save. You do not however get to carry your weapon stats and items other than the armor over.

xtangeltx
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Start on apocalyptic and buy only healthstones and don't go for so many hits. A few hits and learning enemy moves is all you need. I think I beat it in 7-8 hrs and I only used like 3 health stones because I only saved it when it was crazy. When you play more you get to checkpoints that ALWAYS give three waves and the last wave just gets crazy. Save demon form for those waves and only if you die a couple times to it. I only died once or twice for these waves.

The Ultrafiend
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
It's all about getting your dash on with this game.

Learn the patterns, dash away. You won't be able to just smash your way through areas with the big guys but once you learn the finicky art of patience in a hack 'n slasher, you'll be fine.

I'm up to the Black Throne and aside from one bit early on in the game, I've cakewalked it.

luke391
01-12-2010, 02:40 AM
i dont know if its just me... but any game i find easy people find hard, and vice versa =\

I really think people exaggerate things far too often when telling people this and that, like i got bayonetta and heard it was a 3/10 trophy game... anyone whom has played it can confirm its actually atleast a 6/10...

as far as this game being hard for apocalyptic, Its really a poor game in difficulty its not actually hard, but its in no way easy... the problem is that a lot of monsters do far too much damage in too short ammount of time. like the fight by the beam time 1, you fight these 2 girls + several other things later, and it wasnt uncommon for me to get hit by 1 of them and lose 4/7 health bars =\... another problem is that the game doesnt care if its on screen or not so you might be attacking 1 monster and get nailed by another...

really this game would be a LOT better if the combat system was better... and better dodging system it would be a LOT easier =\

Runic Aries
01-12-2010, 03:13 AM
I just beat appocalyptic dying only 2 times, both times were due to being swallowed whole by that sandworm you have to sneak past before stygian.

If you know how to play and what works well, its easier than easy.

kain_da_damaja
01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I didn't find Apocalyptic setting to be all that difficult. If you have a moderate amount of skill with fighting and adventure games, you should be able to get through it on your first playthrough with no problems.

Incidentally, I don't usually start playing games on the hardest setting, so the fact that I was able to do it with this one means the developers probably didn't make it that difficult on purpose.

BoChOmAn
01-15-2010, 02:50 PM
So, to get a yes or no answer, if I have beaten Ninja Gaiden 2 (i think the hardest game I have played), would I have trouble beating Darksiders on apoc?

tonyturbo
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
its not stupidly hard at all, the only tricky parts are some of the later boss battles but even they are do able after a few fails. The rest of the game is easy enough though.

Hoffer
01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I just started playing this game and decided to go for apocolyptic difficulty. I've hit my first bump in the road. I'm having a hard time with those rooms you go in and have to kill like 40 enemies in a couple minutes. Once you've got like 10 left, they send one or two of the bigger dudes into the room. I've beat 2 of 4 rooms I need to beat, but they keep getting harder. Worst thing is you have to start the entire room over again when you die and I'm dying a lot.

I try to avoid the bigger dudes to kill the others to get up to 40. Problem is when you've got 2 of the big dudes chasing you, and they seem way fast, it is very hard. For me at least. Worst thing is I usually die when I've got like 38 or 39 kills. Makes me quite mad and wanting to smash something. :)

Fully Avenged
01-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I just started playing this game and decided to go for apocolyptic difficulty. I've hit my first bump in the road. I'm having a hard time with those rooms you go in and have to kill like 40 enemies in a couple minutes. Once you've got like 10 left, they send one or two of the bigger dudes into the room. I've beat 2 of 4 rooms I need to beat, but they keep getting harder. Worst thing is you have to start the entire room over again when you die and I'm dying a lot.

I try to avoid the bigger dudes to kill the others to get up to 40. Problem is when you've got 2 of the big dudes chasing you, and they seem way fast, it is very hard. For me at least. Worst thing is I usually die when I've got like 38 or 39 kills. Makes me quite mad and wanting to smash something. :)

Just some assistance on this:

- The smaller dudes usually move faster. Try running around the room to draw the smaller ones away then slaughter them quickly before the big guys turn up.

- Blade Geyser is very useful. it usually stuns most big guys, and kills most of the little ones. Right at the start, when there's loads of zombies, draw them to one corner, press RB to dash in to them, and use Blade Geyser quickly. I killed about 18/40 Zombies in 20 seconds with this method, giving me plenty of time to mop up the remaining kills.

Best of luck. :)

Admiral Thrawn
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Same here, the chocking ground where you have to kill 30 with War's instant kill (the b button) is just driving me nuts. I have died like 20 times i think, every time i reach 27 then 2 Fleshburster come after me. I tried everything. Running away and drawing the smaller dudes to me, but then they just launch some mean off screen attack and i'm dead. It frustrates the hell out of me. Can you defeat those mofo's ?

Fully Avenged
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Same here, the chocking ground where you have to kill 30 with War's instant kill (the b button) is just driving me nuts. I have died like 20 times i think, every time i reach 27 then 2 Fleshburster come after me. I tried everything. Running away and drawing the smaller dudes to me, but then they just launch some mean off screen attack and i'm dead. It frustrates the hell out of me. Can you defeat those mofo's ?

Just realised my previous tactic wouldn't work. All I can say is try and get your hands on either Power Strike or Harpoon Tackle [Or even better, both] for Chaoseater. I just did the challenge myself on Apocolyptic, and using these attacks and dodging on the Fleshbursters, I finished with 40 seconds to spare. :)

Admiral Thrawn
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Thrawn, perhaps try building up Chaos Form, then unleashing it to defeat the 2 Fleshbursters? Once they are out of the way you can get the final 3 kills you need to complete the challenge. :)

Thanx for the tip but i just got it on the next try since posting this :-)
I had 1 second left on the timer. A fucking hollywood ending.

Hoffer
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Thrawn, perhaps try building up Chaos Form, then unleashing it to defeat the 2 Fleshbursters? Once they are out of the way you can get the final 3 kills you need to complete the challenge. :)

You don't have Chaos Form yet.

Hoffer
01-16-2010, 04:05 PM

That was the one I was stuck on as well. After beating the 4 rooms, I went into the stats and it said I've only died 9 times total. Felt like I'd died way more than that in those rooms.

smokestacker
01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Not that hard at all. Only have the destroyer left but haven't died more than once or twice on any boss so far and some I got on the first try. Didn't buy but maybe 5 combo moves until going for battle hardened cheevo. Conan was harder than this IMO....the only similarish hack and slash I can come up with right now. Did this remind anyone else of some of the awesome Legacy Of Kain/Soul Reaver titles?

Fully Avenged
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
You don't have Chaos Form yet.

You'll note I changed my tactic on the previous page.

Hoffer
01-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm way past the problem area I had at the beginning of the game. The game really is not all that difficult. If I could go back to the part I had problems with, I could beat it no problem. Just have to get good at dashing around and such.

XFistsClenchedX
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not a great gamer, but in no way am I bad. I haven't been playing it long, maybe around an hour and a bit. I'm finding kinda difficult - but only at certain parts. Thats what pisses me off in game though.. being easy one minute, then the next part is crazy hard.

I'm currently doing them arena things on the way to the twilight place - finding the last two really hard :(

I'm on the way to find the spider boss Silitha or whatever and I think the hardest parts for me personally were probably the two arenas early in the game where you are having problems. Don't get discouraged.

Nubz McPwnzr
01-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I played through on Normal and got every achievement I could except "BFA" and "The True Horseman". I just finished my apocalyptic run through, took the Abyssal armor from the start, and I didn't think it was that much harder than normal. I was actually looking forward to it being much harder, so I was rather disappointed, but I still had a lot of fun playing through again. 1000/1000 now :D

Hoffer
01-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm on the way to find the spider boss Silitha or whatever and I think the hardest parts for me personally were probably the two arenas early in the game where you are having problems. Don't get discouraged.

Yeah, the two arenas towards the beginning of the game were the most frustrating for me as well.

Sha
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Played through the entire thing on Apocalyptic on my first run...had no trouble at all. You might have a little trouble with some boss fights, but when you learn their pattern, they are surely doable... other than that, just make sure not to go in Rambo style, but use dash and block at the right times to prevent from getting hit. Some of the bigger normal demons do massive damage.

And if you do get stuck at some (boss) fight, backtrack and pick up some more lifestones, buff up a bit and try again.

Zaxex
01-19-2010, 03:47 AM
I'm a couple of hours in, playing Apocalyptic difficulty and I'm kinda getting owned. Those 4 rooms gave me some trouble, namely the instant-kill grab move one which I beat eventually by letting the two big guys stun the little ones whilst dodging like crazy for about a minute.

Now I'm stuck again, but more so. The bit where you fight a mini-boss on the broken free way after he throws a car at you and jumps over. I keep dying pretty quickly, can't seem to dodge consistently. Any hints? I sometimes get lucky and land a combo or two on him but that's like a third of the time, the other two thirds he takes off 1/3 of my health per hit while I try to dodge. Doesn't seem to matter which way I go or how i time the dodging, he normally hits me and I probably just suck but this game's proving difficult for me lol.

Current death count: 26

Edit: beat him first try after taking a break without doing anything differently. Weird :P

ofay
01-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Title kinda says it all? I wanna enjoy the game - I wont do that if I die every 2 minutes. Is it doable or is it stupidly hard?
I only die maybe once or twice a level, bosses excluded and thats just because I rush alot and dont block. I am having a blast playing the game and not having to play it over again for the difficulty is nice.

Midnight Malice
01-19-2010, 09:12 AM
All I have left on Apocalyptic is The Destroyer, I am just running through finishing the collectibles and grinding weapon XP. I have yet to use a consumable in my entire playthrough, the checkpoints (most of them anyway) are VERY forgiving. This is my 1st playthrough, so no abyssial armor, just don't expect bigger enemies to be easy to kill. Take your time and wait for the opening. They all have a pattern, and knowing those makes it an easy game. I'd imagine if this were my 2nd playthrough I would have very few deaths, but the trial and error of puzzle bosses and enemies has given me quite a few. All in all, it is a 20 hr game 1st time through on APOC. Without collectible searching or weapon/soul grinding. Id say 10 if you know the puzzles and boss strats.

Mister Binky
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Hardest part for me has definitely been the boss fight to get Ruin back. Granted, the first time I was stupid and used up the health chests early on but even once I revised my strategy I still had a tough time. Patience is the key to that fight and after taking out three waves of enemies I was all pumped up and ready to fight, not looking to dash around like a butterfly. Still though, I gots mah pony! :)

Albel Nox
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
For me apocalyptic was easier than normal was. >.>
Especially with the weapons gaining exp faster, you start doing more damage, sooner.

I made it all the way through apocalyptic in eight hours with zero deaths. :3

mark23
01-22-2010, 08:28 PM
This game on apocalyptic isn't as easy as some have made out, now in no way is this game rock solid but i've been looking through certain gamer tags who brag about how they died barely at all only to find that they have played through on another difficultly first & most likely gotten the armour then used that from the start of the apocalyptic difficulty and obviously knew how to play the game so obviously had little trouble.

Sorry for the rant but i wish some people would use a little common sense instead of thinking with their egos & giving people the impression that this game is piss easy.

smokestacker
01-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but I only played one playthrough on Apocalyptic and found it to be easier than the hardest difficulty on a game should be. I'm not bragging at all, when asked for an opinion I gave it. Once you understand to dash and dodge the game really doesn't pose much of a challenge. If you need any tips I'll be glad to help.

mark23
01-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Okay i'd just like to say smokestacker & other people who completed this game on apocalyptic without the aid of the armour & found it easy that my post was not aimed at them, my post was mainly aimed at people who have played this game on other difficulty's then got the armour & then played through on apocalyptic & claimed it to be easy when they clearly had a big advantage over people who are starting for the first time on apocalyptic & do not have the armour.

Midnight Malice
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
It isn't an easy game from the get go, but once you learn all the different enemies tactics, meaning you beat them at least once, it is a fairly easy game. The apperance of the main character makes some people believe they can just hack and slash thier way through the game, which will make it very tough. Use all your tools, and keep your distance if you get into trouble. I found myself taking a lot longer to kill certian enemies with the crossblade from a distance while being close to death cause I tried that extra hit, when I should have dashed away.

Basically what I am saying is, the game is fairly easy the first time through on Apocalyptic thanks to the checkpoints, and the strategy based enemies. Once you learn the pattern, you should almost never get hit if you play smart. It is just that first time fighting a new enemy type and the first time trying to figure out a puzzle based boss fight that will make the deaths pile up. But it is still very do-able, even for somewhat casual players. I only ran into trouble once, (trouble meaning 5 or more deaths on a single section) and that was coming out of one of the Black Throne towers to face the "ghost sisters" for the first time and the rest of the enemies that stacked up behind them.

If you want to breeze through that difficulty, play on easy, collect the abyssial armor, then start a new game on Apocalyptic. This will make the game VERY easy, as hits that took 3 or 4 life bars now barely take half of one.