PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Discs--Microsoft's Stand on this

Evil Demon55
01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
I got a few scratched discs, mainly used games that I have bought from GameStop, and tested them to late. If I am to go and use a scratch remover goo will that ruin my disc/make it so the xbox cannot read it? On the bottle it says mainly for computer discs but it works on video games too. I used it on my Gears of War 2 disc, made the game slow.

So, if I am to remove a layer of the disc to get rid of the scratch via a machine seen at Game Crazy and some DVD Rental places, will this allow me to be able to play, or does it have a chance to make the game unreadable?

Also, what are Microsofts stands on doing this sort of thing? Because you are modifiying the disc.

Just want to know the goods before I do it myself, otherwise I will just toss these games.

Volzagia
01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
I did this before and it worked but i dont think microsoft would be too happy

Ben is a Ninja
01-12-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't see why Microsoft would be unhappy, the disc is the same but the scratches have been removed, which means the disc is a bit thinner.

bapae
01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I take my to get cleaned and i never have any problems with games not working. ad ive cleaned tons of games

True I Skill
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't see why Microsoft would be unhappy, the disc is the same but the scratches have been removed, which means the disc is a bit thinner.

Unhappy because they want people to buy the same thing again, My controller broke recently, it took a long time opening it, And finding all the screws. They hid one of them under a sticker, So they try to make it hard to repair the controller, So you will have to buy another more money for them. Same with discs, But i didnt think MS Made any money from you buying other companies games? :S

Anyway you can give it a go, I've hurd people say somtimes it doesnt work, Somtimes it does So its just a matter of luck Imo.

Gen. H
01-12-2010, 01:52 PM
My GTA 4 disc got scratched a while back while in the 360. Took it to get cleaned at a shop for like 3 and it works totally fine now.
As for their stand on it, I think it's fine really. It's not gonna affect the game or give you an advantage in any significant way, so there's probably no reason why they'd be against cleaning discs.

YoungWarrior111
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Yea, they're never going to know, are they?! I don't think they could say too much anyway, its not a malicious sorta thing, its a repair. As for the controller, it may be different because its hardware, and covered by warranty. I extended my warranty on my xbox with Game, and it covers the xbox and controller for 2years in store.

3 in Game to get the disc cleaned, and it has worked for me. Guy said it was the worst disc he had seen and it works fine now (my girlfriend caught the memory card with her foot, while I was playing Beijing. It dropped from like 3-4inches, and made an unholy racket. I thought the Xbox was wrecked too, by the noise of it, but it was ok)

AltruismIsDead
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
There isn't any policy about resurfacing/cleaning a game disc. Basically it's your property (although the game code/information technically isn't but thats a completely different story) and if it doesn't work due to scratches you can get it cleaned. It'll work just like it did brand new.

All that resurfacing a disc does is take off a thin layer of the disc to remove the scratches (all the data and information is on the top part of the disc, which if the very top part of the dvd/cd gets a deep enough scratch then it's basically destroyed)

By doing that it isn't really modifying the game in terms of information, or anything like that, so MS doesn't really have a policy about it. Plus I remember Blockbuster and Gamestop clean their discs like that as well. It doesn't damage the game at all, so you don't have to worry about that.

I should also point out that I am talking about resurfacing, there are certain ways of cleaning a disc that might not make it readable or give it a harder time reading.

JesusBread
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Same with discs, But i didnt think MS Made any money from you buying other companies games? :S

Kidding, right? The developers have to pay Microsoft just to distribute the game on the 360. And if the game is published by Microsoft, then they get even more money. Keep in mind that the full price tag ($60) does not go straight to the developers, but it's spread around to the retailers, distributors, the company that owns the console and probably a lot of other people that I'm forgetting.

zTiamaTz
01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I really can't complain about the durability of the 360 discs. When I used to rent from Blockbuster, new movies were pretty much unwatchable within a week of release. But even the oldest games they had worked with no problem.

Occasionally, there will be a defective disc, but nothing is perfect. Almost all the discs that I had a problem with had deep scratches or something stuck to them.

Q ipoddy Q
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
With my PS2 games i used toothpaste to clean them, worked very well, ive never had any problems with xbox 360 discs but im guessing it works the same.

But if your buying games scratched and they don't work just take them back to the shop you bought them from they will give you a full refund.

spunyun
01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Moral of the story is blu-ray wins.

YoungWarrior111
01-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Moral of the story is blu-ray wins.

Blu-ray might be good, but I wouldnt trade my Xbox in for a PS3, and wouldnt fork out for a Blu-ray player just yet.

Mongolian Beef
01-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I bought one of those "Disc Dr." (don't remember the exact name of it) and it repaired my scratched GRAW disc. It would buff/resurface the disc to remove the scratched layer. I didn't notice a difference in gameplay, it ran as smoothly as before it got scratched.

Evil Demon55
01-26-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't see why Microsoft would be unhappy, the disc is the same but the scratches have been removed, which means the disc is a bit thinner. Wouldn't that be like "modifiying" the disc though?

There isn't any policy about resurfacing/cleaning a game disc. Basically it's your property (although the game code/information technically isn't but thats a completely different story) and if it doesn't work due to scratches you can get it cleaned. It'll work just like it did brand new.

All that resurfacing a disc does is take off a thin layer of the disc to remove the scratches (all the data and information is on the top part of the disc, which if the very top part of the dvd/cd gets a deep enough scratch then it's basically destroyed)

By doing that it isn't really modifying the game in terms of information, or anything like that, so MS doesn't really have a policy about it. Plus I remember Blockbuster and Gamestop clean their discs like that as well. It doesn't damage the game at all, so you don't have to worry about that.

I should also point out that I am talking about resurfacing, there are certain ways of cleaning a disc that might not make it readable or give it a harder time reading. Gamestop does this? I have never seen them do it before. I know most movie rental stores do it and so does Game Crazy, but I have never seen Gamestop do it.

Also I am talking more like this machine, or something like this. The one where you put the disc in it and removes layers of disc: http://www.freshtrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/cd-dvd-scratch-repair-machine.jpg

and this stuff: http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/124/777/797/fqib.jpg

kaleido42
01-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Wouldn't that be like "modifiying" the disc though?

Gamestop does this? I have never seen them do it before. I know most movie rental stores do it and so does Game Crazy, but I have never seen Gamestop do it.

Yes, Gamestop does this. I ordered 4 used games off of their website (one of which was NBA Live 07 :D) and I if I remember correctly 3/4 looked as though they had layers removed off of them. I suppose this could always have been from before they were brought to gamestop, but I somewhat doubt it.

Purant
01-26-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm not entirely sure but blockbusters have a machine that repairs discs and whatever scratch is on they fix and it works perfectly. I think they might fill it in with some type of glue because i have a small machine which does minor scratchs and stuff and you just pour a little bit of glue on a spinning cloth thing and it repairs it pretty well.

Only cost 20 which saves costs of taking to blockbusters or buying new discs

Oh ye and for all you UK people looking to save 1 blockbusters repair for 2 instead of the normal 3 from most other stores

Evil Demon55
01-26-2010, 02:04 AM
I have just read 3 articles about scratched/damaged discs from Microsoft. They say not to use chemicals/"Do not use solvents to clean the disc." They also say nothing about using a scratch remover, they say to buy a new disc. Basically, when I read it, they are implying not to use a machine to take layers of the disc off, or to use scratch remover gel. They want you to buy a new disc (if it wasn't your xbox's fault) or to try and use a clean cloth with no chemicals on it.

Here are the articles.

Disc is unreadable
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909819?sd=xbox

Disc cannot be read by Xbox 360
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910798?sd=xbox

Dirty/Damaged discs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908644?sd=xbox

kaleido42
01-26-2010, 02:10 AM
I have just read 3 articles about scratched/damaged discs from Microsoft. They say not to use chemicals/"Do not use solvents to clean the disc." They also say nothing about using a scratch remover, they say to buy a new disc. Basically, when I read it, they are implying not to use a machine to take layers of the disc off, or to use scratch remover gel. They want you to buy a new disc (if it wasn't your xbox's fault) or to try and use a clean cloth with no chemicals on it.

Here are the articles.

Disc is unreadable

Dirty/Damaged discs

Of course they're going to say to not even try fixing it and just go out and buy a new disk :p. You might as well try fixing it if you would otherwise have to resort to replacing it and never using it again.

Evil Demon55
01-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Of course they're going to say to not even try fixing it and just go out and buy a new disk :p. You might as well try fixing it if you would otherwise have to resort to replacing it and never using it again. I was thinking the same thing. The thing is, I don't want to put in a scratched removed game disc to later get banned
-.-

I also basically trust Gamestop (because of all my games, like 98% come from there. So if they remove scratches, then I'll be like whatever, it must be okay. So I am trying to also research if Gamestop does it.

I have learned so far, they sell scratch remover polisher. I am also trying to find out if they use a machine.

I heard they use a Disk Doctor, but I have no idea what that is. I have read they used to remove scratches for like $5, but it didn't say how. If you can find an add/link from GS saying they use a scratch remover machine, please send me the link!

D4B0MB1N4T10N
01-26-2010, 02:46 AM
basically, xbox 360 discs are still just standard DVD discs, so anything you can use on discs can also be used for the 360 discs as well. thot id ckear that up to just in case.

at work (gamestop >.<), we use a spray and cleaning cloth, then the local movie rental center has an actual buffing machine with sponges/scrubbers that clean the discs better.

anything done to the disc has a chance of messing it up, but if it wont work ni the first place, that doesnt really matter. ive seen just shi.tty games that play still and clean ones that dont.

one piece of advice/tip i can give you is to ask for the best looking disc and inspect it BEFORE you buy it, i myself always look for the best disc for the customer, and then ill even show them too just to give them a heads up on the condition.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
01-26-2010, 02:47 AM

Here are the articles.

Disc is unreadable

Dirty/Damaged discs

of course they would say that, theyd rather u buy a new game so they make more money, when u can usually try a couple different methods urself first for under $10 most of the time.

Evil Demon55
01-26-2010, 02:48 AM
basically, xbox 360 discs are still just standard DVD discs, so anything you can use on discs can also be used for the 360 discs as well. thot id ckear that up to just in case.

at work (gamestop >.<), we use a spray and cleaning cloth, then the local movie rental center has an actual buffing machine with sponges/scrubbers that clean the discs better.

anything done to the disc has a chance of messing it up, but if it wont work ni the first place, that doesnt really matter. ive seen just shi.tty games that play still and clean ones that dont.

one piece of advice/tip i can give you is to ask for the best looking disc and inspect it BEFORE you buy it, i myself always look for the best disc for the customer, and then ill even show them too just to give them a heads up on the condition. So, do you send in scratched disc to the main "office" so they can get scratches removed?

Skillet
01-26-2010, 03:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The thing is, I don't want to put in a scratched removed game disc to later get banned
-.-

I also basically trust Gamestop (because of all my games, like 98% come from there. So if they remove scratches, then I'll be like whatever, it must be okay. So I am trying to also research if Gamestop does it.

I have learned so far, they sell scratch remover polisher. I am also trying to find out if they use a machine.

I heard they use a Disk Doctor, but I have no idea what that is. I have read they used to remove scratches for like $5, but it didn't say how. If you can find an add/link from GS saying they use a scratch remover machine, please send me the link!

Banned... for cleaning a disk? :p

Anywho, I have some form of DVD Doctor. You basically spray a water based solvent onto the disk and insert it into the machine. Then you either turn a crank or turn it on and a large wheel with an abrasive edge "resurfaces" the disk. Let the disk go around a couple times, buff dry, and it's "fixed".

The one I use works alright for small scratches. Or if your kid sister happens to get pieces of candy or something stuck to it. (Yes, I know from personal experience.)

But if the scratches are so deep that they cause the game to freeze or (god forbid) the disk is cracked, you're pretty much sol.

They're mostly meant to repair the tiny scratches that make CDs skip and distort DVDs.

pitcairnpete
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I bought pgr3 from game for cheap. Pardon my French, the disk is totally fucked. I got up to tokyo and it was having none of it, I can not wait to get my hands on that bastard in Colchester. I think I will pop to paper chase first, get the biggest stapler they do and stick my receipt to his head.

Eternal
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
My Halo 3 multiplayer disk is scratched, and I don't know if I should fix it or not... The scratch makes it so that I don't have to play some of the worst maps, but I can't use some objects in Forge.

iNiko
01-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Microsoft shouldn't be angry at all they use terrible discs, this is why I've went through 6 copies of Gears of War 1.

D4B0MB1N4T10N
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
So, do you send in scratched disc to the main "office" so they can get scratches removed?

yeah we do, if we take a game in on trade and its scratched up, we send it to the head office. they then out-source the cleaning to some other company.

they then re-distribute the games once they are cleaned up.

i do wish that each store would have their own buffing machine, but the company wont do that for some odd reason, they'd rather pay more and out-source it for some reason.

Evil Demon55
01-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Banned... for cleaning a disk? :p

Haha, you got me there. The main thing going throuhg my head is they might think it is a modded disc/burned disc. But don't burned/modded discs require modded xbox's as well? Paranoia.... yes. :eek:

punker
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Haha, you got me there. The main thing going throuhg my head is they might think it is a modded disc/burned disc. But don't burned/modded discs require modded xbox's as well? Paranoia.... yes. :eek:

Haha, I think paranoia is an understatement here.

But seriously-- it would be like trying to read someone's mind by staring at their forehead. They detect modded/burned games from the data contained within, not the physical surface of the actual disc.

colt415
01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
If you want you can buy this machine (not sure what's it's called) my cousin bought it for about $900 and it cleared all the scratches on the disc, made it look brand new. It also made the game play normal.