PDA

View Full Version : why cant Halo games have

afunk117
01-22-2010, 03:11 AM
4 player splitscreen on one console,

well i just read something on this site and it said 2 player splitscreen campaign but 4 player online campaign.

but why cant u have 4 people on 1 box doing the campaign together?

does anyone else find that bullshit

balance13
01-24-2010, 04:16 AM
no not really, if you have to many players on the screen they are to small IMO

Tufty
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I have to agree with Balance here, if you'd ever try it on a TV smaller than 32" you wouldn't be able to see.

Battosai343
01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
They would also have to tweak the engine to be able to pull it off. Also, the graphics would more than likely take a substantial hit. Also :whs they become really tiny.

ethanl2k7
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
i hate playin 2 player split screen, i lose track of whos who.

Ace Of Dawn
02-13-2010, 04:01 AM
As previously stated, the screens would be too small. But there are other technical reasons.

While you may not notice it, the graphics in the campaign are of a higher level than in multiplayer. Also, there is significantly more information being processed in the campaign compared to the multiplayer. The game engine in 2-player local co-op has to process all the information that is occurring in game between both players and make sure it is all correct. Multiple players on one console would begin to test the limits of the game's engine, if not the console overall.

In the multiplayer side of things. The game only has to keep track of player locations and other, relatively small things. I really doubt Reach would improve upon this technicality since there is more information being processed.

TaytaMalikai
02-20-2010, 03:30 AM
As the above poster wrote, MP has a lighter load on the console than the SP, because in SP you have to account for all the AI, scripted events etc. as well as render the screen. More than one player means the console has to render ALL the players' screens. Whereas in MP, the map itself is smaller and does not change at all, and there are only up to 16 players in a game who can think for themselves as opposed to a similar amount of AI, that has to process information and determine its actions using the console's resources. Now consider Bungie's claim that they are "spanking" the 360 console for the game, and the loading required for four players would probably be far too much for the console to handle at once.

Mongolian Beef
02-20-2010, 03:43 AM
As the above poster wrote, MP has a lighter load on the console than the SP, because in SP you have to account for all the AI, scripted events etc. as well as render the screen. More than one player means the console has to render ALL the players' screens. Whereas in MP, the map itself is smaller and does not change at all, and there are only up to 16 players in a game who can think for themselves as opposed to a similar amount of AI, that has to process information and determine its actions using the console's resources. Now consider Bungie's claim that they are "spanking" the 360 console for the game, and the loading required for four players would probably be far too much for the console to handle at once.
Basically the 360 is too weak.

Ace Of Dawn
02-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Basically the 360 is too weak.
I suppose you could say that... but in the end that isn't entirely true. I would be more inclined to argue that it would just be unnecessary processing power usage. Halo 3 is actually able to do 3 player local co-op (through a glitch). And if I recall, there is no real ill effect. But I don't see the point in making the game be able to process all that information for what would, in the end, be a minority of its overall usage.

If you asked me what I would want more power diverted to, I would say the game's environments and AI, not being able to do 4 player locally. Sure, a majority of you in this thread want it, but that doesn't really reflect what everyone as a whole wants, and more importantly, what Bungie wants.

There's also just the fact that the visuals would be wasted on a smaller screen, and it would be far too cramped to deal with the increased number of enemies on screen. In the end, like it or not, it would probably just be a bad idea to place 4-player local co-op.