PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Required?!?

StephenJ360
01-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Okay, so browsing the gamestop website for this game, I came across it, and it says NOTICE : Dragon Age Origins, Internet Connection, and hard drive required to play.

Look here (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=76824) to see.

Now, does this mean that when we pay $40 for this expansion, we take it home, and can ONLY play it while we're online? I certainly hope not. If you know more about this issue than I do, please reply and help ease my pain.

DDcup x
01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I imagine it just means it requires an internet connection to download the expansion (Or is this on a disc?)

StephenJ360
01-23-2010, 04:32 AM
I imagine it just means it requires an internet connection to download the expansion (Or is this on a disc?)

Seeing as how you can buy it inside of a case from Gamestop, I'm imagining it's a disc just like Oblivion was. Which still doesn't make sense... when have you had to have an internet connection for ANY installation?

MisaaAmane
01-23-2010, 06:13 AM
I don't think they have it on disk for xbox
unless EB people lied to me saying that they only have a pc version on their pre order list.
so yeah it might be to download it >.>

horstwayne
01-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I think you'll have to be online with that EA account thingy or it'd say unrecognised dlc or something. had that with the other dlcs as well. I also let my girlfriend use my EA account to play the dlcs that were on our console.

TwistedFate
01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Most likely it means that retail copies are a just download code.

DDcup x
01-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't think they have it on disk for xbox
unless EB people lied to me saying that they only have a pc version on their pre order list.
so yeah it might be to download it >.>

But why would they bring out a disc version for PC and not for xbox? hmm

DTF INFERNO
02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
The "case" you saw at Gamestop was likely just their way of advertising it. Buying it from them will likely just get you a redeemable code to download it.

This is going to be a downloadable expansion pack, as was Shivering Isles with Oblivion.

The fact that it is going to be downloadable is the reason for them saying that an internet connection is required.

TwistedFate
02-20-2010, 06:24 AM
The "case" you saw at Gamestop was likely just their way of advertising it. Buying it from them will likely just get you a redeemable code to download it.

He didn't see a box, he saw requirements online.

This is going to be a downloadable expansion pack, as was Shivering Isles with Oblivion.

Shivering Isles was available on disc, too.

The fact that it is going to be downloadable is the reason for them saying that an internet connection is required.

The sites been update. Doesn't say it needs Internet anymore.

As of Monday, the only 'download only' delivery is for PS3 owners in Europe.

AfroHarrison
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Even if it was internet required, it probably speaks about the dlc that can be transferred from the first. They said that if you go on your account online, you can get some of the original dlc.

scourge
03-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Here is Victor Wachter, Bioware, Dragon Age Community Facilitator, on the subject [bioware thread here (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/127/index/1179803/1)]

For Xbox 360, you will need to have the Awakening disk in the drive to play Awakening. If you want to go back and play the Origins campaign, you will need to insert the Origins disk. You will also need the Origins disk if you want to play any of the Origins DLC.

Dave of Canada
03-11-2010, 01:20 AM
The Awakening cases you find at your local gaming stores and locations are actually CDs, there was a few pictures leaked around of a person who got their copy early. It game with a booklet, CD and a release date for something in 2011 with the blood dragon on it.

The internet connection is probably required simply because of the EA servers that verifies if you're on the servers, although I'm not too sure if it would be required for future use after the initial use.

Filter x360a
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM
From xbox.com:

REQUIRES LATEST TITLE UPDATE FOR DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS (installed automatically if you play while connected to Xbox LIVE). The archdemon lies dead--and yet in coastal Amaranthine, strange darkspawn still plague the land. As the newly appointed commander of the Grey Wardens, you must rebuild your shattered stronghold, recruit new Wardens to the cause, and defeat this terrifying menace. Includes: (1) A brand new campaign. (2) Five new party members -- plus the return of an old favorite. (3) Six new specializations. (4) Nearly 70 new player abilities. To begin this epic adventure: From the main menu, select New Game, then either import your character from Dragon Age: Origins or create a new, high-level hero! There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

So it looks like the only reason you need LIVE is to be able to apply the Tile update to this DLC. It must not work without that title update. Maybe something changed in the code. Either way, once you update you should be good to play offline.