PDA

View Full Version : DS Intro to Final Fantasy

Krisko Disko
01-28-2010, 04:24 AM
So I've never played a Final Fantasy game, and in order to get thoroughly excited for XIII coming out, I'd like to get a DS game that might introduce me to the gist of the game, if not the true X360 experience.
I can get FF III, FF IV, FF Crystal Chronicles (both), FF XII Reverent Rings.

If I had to choose one of these, which do you think would most closely resemble a console version?

Li85
01-28-2010, 05:18 AM
i will say none. cuz every game have different kind of battle system, also each game's story is different and unrelated(except FFX and FFX-2, FF12 and FF12 Reverent Rings)

u can maybe get the FF3 or 4 just to see how it go on the old days of FF. but since i don't have a DS i don't kn if they change anything of the game, since the DS have 2 screen to use.

Trellgoth
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM
None of the DS titles resemble the Console version.
I personaly was introduced to Final Fantasy on the Playstation 1. Final Fantasy 7 was my first FF title. Since that time I was hooked.
I have played several FF titles on the DS, hell, I have them all (except for the Crystal Chronicles).
Best way to get introduced to Final Fantasy is by playing Final Fantasy XII on PS2. Why FF 12 ? FF 12 was the first title that introduced the free battle system to me.
Compared with the older titles, the combat was turn based, you were locked onto one position.
Final 12 had the oppurtunity to run around free and making the actions instantly.
As far as I know - have seen video's - Final 13 will have free combat as well. You can make the action on forhand while you are free to stand where you'd like.

If you want to have an older experience on the Final Fantasy genre, I'd like to suggest to play Final Fantasy VII. This is a PSX game, but there are alot of options to play it on the computer with an usb controler. Just try to search the internet for options.
(I am playing FFVIII again on my laptop, but not sure if it is allowed to advise people in here on the "how to" since this is not actually... well... legal.

(note; I have Final 7 and 8 as an original disc, but my PSX broke, so had to find an alternative.)

[edit]:
Thinking about the DS RPG's.... there is a title that might resemble older FF games on console. The DS title has nothing to do with Final Fantasy, but the combat system is the same looking at older Final Fantay games.
The game I am talking about is Suikoden.
Have played it for a while on my DS. Great game, nice graphics, great story!

Vincentdante
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
As stated above, FF13 won't be like the DS versions since it has a new system. However out of the ones you have listed I would recommend FF3 or 4 since they are part of the main series and not a spin off. It is up to you though.

If you have a PS2 your best bet is to pick up Final Fantasy 12, since that was the first game to leave the turn based combat system.

(note; I have Final 7 and 8 as an original disc, but my PSX broke, so had to find an alternative.)

It's not illegal to emulate them if you own the originals :)

Trellgoth
01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
It's not illegal to emulate them if you own the originals :)
Okay, cool. Thought the whole Emulator thing wasn't legal.
I do have the original discs. Both PS1 and PS2 died (though, PS2 works, but controller port died). So Im emulating the PSX to play Final 8. Never finished that one.... by the time I had to insert disc 3, the playstation died... >.<

Anyways - OnTopic, I have to agree with Vincent here. Final 3 or 4 are great on the DS. Personaly I liked 4 better (didn't complete both btw).
Graphics are awesome (specially for a DS game) and story is great.
Hope you will figure thing out and start enjoying the Final Fantasy virus! ;)

Kairi
01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
None of those will relate to Final Fantasy XIII. I would reccomend you to buy either Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy IV. Maybe Final Fantasy III since it's cheaper, I can't really pick between those since I love both of them.

Definitely don't get Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. I haven't played it, but since you haven't played Final Fantasy XII, I bet you will be lost.
I wouldn't recommend getting one of the Crystal Chronicles as your first game either, it isn't tied much to Final Fantasy and its very different then the main games.

Trellgoth
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
I would reccomend you to buy either Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy IV. Maybe Final Fantasy III since it's cheaper
Not sure where everyone here is from, but here in the Netherlands, both Final 3 and 4 are the same price.
Bought them both for a mere 20 euro's a piece.
Wasn't even on the internet, but in an actual store.

JaxTH
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Well...XII: Reverant Wings is an RTS, which XIII is not, III is turn-based, and IV has the ATB system.

I suggest you go with IV since XIII using an "evolved ATB system".

Trellgoth
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Since we are talking about the DS titles in here....
Does anyone have any experience with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes Of Time ?
At some point I want to get this title (only € 10,- at the moment), but Im not quite sure yet. Most because I read alot about multiplayer on this title.
Is this still a fun game to play singleplayer ?
How's the story like ?
NPC party possibility ?

xAHAx Skywalker
01-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I would say IV. Released in North America (not sure about Europe) as Final Fantasy II on the SNES, it is regarded as one of the best RPG's from that generation. As mentioned above, all FF's are pretty different, but you can get a good feeling of the epic storytelling a FF can offer.

FF 12 for PS2 killed off the turn based battle system and allowed more free-roaming style of combat. It wasn't really my thing, as I preferred the turn based style (I make my move, then the enemy makes their's). But its all preference, and I would still recommend checking it out.

The FF series is a fantastic series of games, and definitely worth getting into IMO

Purge
01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Why not try Lost Odyssey? It's on the 360.

Trellgoth
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Why not try Lost Odyssey? It's on the 360.
.... I wonder why I never thought of this game... I do own this one myself...
But yes, Lost Odyssey is a very good alternative to get into the Final Fantasy genre.

Vincentdante
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I was gonna say that myself but then I thought, nah he wants a final fantasy game. Still LO is easily my favorite 360 jrpg <3

allan2kai7
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I would recommend Lost Oddessy on x360, It is a very good jrpg, old style aswell, a style that alot of jrpg fans prefer. The whole turn based thing just adds an element of strategy to it for me, i like the idea of being able to plan my next move.

Anyways on the DS i like other would recommend ff4.

However if you do a little digging around you can find an emulator. (not illigal) but running the games (roms) if you dont have a physical copy of the game is illigal. Im allowed to tell you :) but not link it to you. Google is an amazing tool huh? ;)

A few oldies on the psx ff7 and ff9 are my personal fave's

lordrex217
01-29-2010, 06:35 PM
also, if your DS plays GBA games then you could pick up FF1&2, FF5 or FF6 for pretty cheap as all those were released on the GBA

BTroxell
01-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Lost odyssey has many similarities to ff7; which is widely considered the eve of the jrpg. Also it will prepare you for the countless hours of gameplay ff13 is going to take. The ds titles; while they give you a good sense of the history of the game. Going straight from that to ff13 might overwhelm you. btw I am writing this as if your sort of new to jrpgs. If your not then I just wasted 50 seconds of my life.

JaxTH
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
If LO (Haven't played it) is turned based, then I don't think you should get it thinking it will play like XIII.

Elm
01-30-2010, 11:36 AM
You should get LO just because it was a fun game :)

Trellgoth
02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
If LO (Haven't played it) is turned based, then I don't think you should get it thinking it will play like XIII.
LO is turned based.
Final 13 won't be turned based.
Doesn't take away the fact Lost Odyssey is a great game and has a good feeling on how the Final Fantasy series is.
Story, gameplay, cutscenes, etc.
They all resemble how Final Fantasy is.
But truth to be told, the combat system is not how Final Fantasy 13 will be. Lost Odyssey is more like the combat system from Final 7 -> 10.

If you want to play an RPG based on the Final Fantasy 13 setting.... and if you have a PlayStation 2.... I suggest getting Final Fantasy 12.