PDA

View Full Version : Metallica vs. Megadeth

Pages : [1] 2

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Who do you like? Megadeth, Metallica, both or neither? I did a search but could not find anything like this and I was wondering how people on here like these bands. I like both but Metallica is better IMO.

Noddlez
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm more of a Slayer fan. :D

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Yea slayer is good too, i just like those 2 a little better, all 3 of those band's newer albums are really good though :rock

UberViking
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
It's a no brainer....Megadeth over Metallica....not to take anything away from Metallica....there first 4 albums were amazing...but I like almost all of Megadeths albums except risk, that one does suck.

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Well Megadeth is good, i love everything ive heard from them (Peace Sells but whos buying?, Endgame, rust in peace and countdown to extinction) but I like every Metallica song and I like their sound better.

bapae
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
megadeth is by far better them metallica. Metallica is way over rated.

Volzagia
01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
I like both but i prefer MegaDave! :D If just for Rust In Peace what a masterpiece

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
I like both but i prefer MegaDave! :D If just for Rust In Peace what a masterpiece
Yea that album was pure genius every track was awesome :woop:!

thewyseone
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
megadeth,they never sold out like metalicca.i done a poll like this on another forum,megadeth had 50% more votes.

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh, really? I couldn't find it when i made searched. But in the 90s they did sell out but they are going back to their roots. As we can see on Death Magnetic :).

Tussell
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Dave Mustaine is a fucking pussy. Megadeth sucks.

thewyseone
01-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh, really? I couldn't find it when i made searched. But in the 90s they did sell out but they are going back to their roots. As we can see on Death Magnetic :).

it was on a completly different forum.;)

Gorilla Stomper
01-31-2010, 11:19 PM

QFT

Hmm, vote for Failtallica, or Megafail? Failtallica all the way

XxFrAsZeRxX
01-31-2010, 11:22 PM

Yes, Metallica is a lot better, but Megadeth doesn't completely suck. Well thats my opinion anyway

it was on a completly different forum.;)

Oh that might be the reason haha ;)

Burning Karma
02-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I love them both, but I love Metallica more.
EDIT: To OP: So do I vote for Metallica or both?

Sidenote: When I go see Megadeth for the first time on March 22nd, I plan on wearing the Metallica shirt I got when I saw them last October. I hope to not get shanked while doing so.

DOOKH8R
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Metallica from 1985-1991.

Saiyu, where is Megadeth playing on 3/22?

Starstrukk X360A
02-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Hannah Montana.

Wait, she isn't on the list?
Both, then.

Exhausted Dad
02-01-2010, 02:44 AM
I love all their older stuff, In My Darkest Hour has got to be one of the best songs ever. Master of Puppets is probably the best album ever. So I vote too hard to choose.

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-01-2010, 03:01 AM
I love all their older stuff, In My Darkest Hour has got to be one of the best songs ever. Master of Puppets is probably the best album ever. So I vote too hard to choose.
I haven't heard darkest hour but i would like too and Master of Puppets, is just simply a master piece :rock.

I love them both, but I love Metallica more.
EDIT: To OP: So do I vote for Metallica or both?

Sidenote: When I go see Megadeth for the first time on March 22nd, I plan on wearing the Metallica shirt I got when I saw them last October. I hope to not get shanked while doing so.

And Saiyu hahaha you should be fine but let me know how that works out, and I agree with you so vote both :p

SharksInYourMouth
02-01-2010, 03:21 AM
I use to be a really big Metallica fan (Not much anymore) and my friends would always say how much Megadeth sucked and how much Dave Mustaine was a toss. So I listened to a few songs by Megadeth, and I find nothing wrong with them or Dave Mustaine. But I voted Neither, (Don't get me wrong I like them both) but I don't listen to alot of that style of music anymore so yeah. I'm more into Hardcore / Deathcore music now.

VladimirK
02-01-2010, 03:42 AM
For me it's neither.

I've tried listening to Metallica and I just really didn't like it. =/
Plus I really can't stand these teenagers that go on and on about how they love Metallica when it's obvious that it's just because they are popular. :biglaugh:p

Teal
02-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Metallica.

Norman Coxwell
02-01-2010, 04:52 AM
http://www.sam3k.com/images/dave-mustaine-pancakes.jpg

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
For me it's neither.

I've tried listening to Metallica and I just really didn't like it. =/
Plus I really can't stand these teenagers that go on and on about how they love Metallica when it's obvious that it's just because they are popular. :biglaugh:p

Haha I like metallica cuz they are good, not cuz their popular :p.

And hahahaha norman thats a great pic :woop:

ITD Soldierboy
02-02-2010, 01:31 AM
I chose Metallica, because they are the best! I've seen them twice and was never upset! Last show was 11/14/09 at Madison Square Garden. I was going to see Megadeth at the American Carnage Tour next week, but sadly they postponed it, because of surgery. But, I like how Metallica sounds, they sound more realistic to me. I like Megadeth, but they don't draw out my energy like Metallica.

Mustaine is a bitch anyway. Believes hes a God... :ass

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-02-2010, 02:08 AM
I chose Metallica, because they are the best! I've seen them twice and was never upset! Last show was 11/14/09 at Madison Square Garden. I was going to see Megadeth at the American Carnage Tour next week, but sadly they postponed it, because of surgery. But, I like how Metallica sounds, they sound more realistic to me. I like Megadeth, but they don't draw out my energy like Metallica.

Mustaine is a bitch anyway. Believes hes a God... :ass

Dude... we went to the same concert hahaha!! :cool::D That concert was awesome! Especially fight fire with fire ;).

taylorxxx
02-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Metallica. no fucking question.

one more time.

Metallica.

anyone who uses the 'Megadeth never sold out' argument is a straight up moron. you know why Megadeth never sold out? they didn't have the chance. it's easy to 'stick to your guns' when 50* people care about your next release. that's what it boils down to. St. Anger (while terrible) had HUGE pressure. The World Needs a Hero? not so much. it's cut and dry man, you can't sell out when no one cares*.
*hyperbole - obviously someone cares, just not on the same scale

Metallica has sold over 100 million records worldwide (wiki because i'm too lazy to get a 'real' source), while Megadeth has sold 25 million (wiki). other than the fact that Mustaine was in Metallica, how can you even compare the two?! They're metal bands, they shared a member and "shared" a timeline, but one of the bands clearly dominated that timeline and continues to dominate the 'head to head battle'.*
*i'm not saying 'more sales = better band', i'm using these facts to illustrate the difference in careers.

Here's the 'my opinion' chunk of my post. Metallica had 4 fucking amazing albums (Kill 'em All, Puppets, Justice and Lightning, not in that order) and some other mediocre ones. Megadeth had 2 good albums (Peace Sells and Rust) and a lot of mediocre ones. in the end, it's a matter of opinion. i get that, but to say the Megadeth is "better" because they 'stuck to their roots', is just ridiculous. Metallica, all the fucking way. not even close.

p.s. Mustaine can shred, but if you try and tell me he's a good vocalist, you shouldn't get to listen to music anymore.

p.p.s. i don't want to waste more time on this post, but CHANGE isn't always SELLING OUT. start a band, then try and write the same song for 5 years, go ahead, i'll wait. come back and tell me how you feel.

Emfulz
02-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Neither. Thank you for putting that option up there. :p
I'm into blink-182, Yellowcard, AC/DC, cKy... stuff like that.

Tussell
02-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Yellowcard
I didn't even think they were a band anymore. I thought they gave up after Ocean Avenue wasn't on the radio anymore. :p

XxBlueSpade2xX
02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Metallica for me. But I like Maiden much more.

PeaceThruWar
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Both. They both have there ups and down so would be impossible to pick one over the other for me. Went through a huge phase loving Metallica followed by Megadeth when I was younger. Not as greatly into them now, but still listen on the odd occasion.

JohnnyR74
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I like Megadeth a lot more than I like Metallica. Metallica's good, but I've loved Megadeth for a few years now.

AngelHeva
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
i think megadeth never sold out because they couldn't :o

omg. i just wrote that and read up and somebody else said the same thing :o

i don't prefer either. *shrug* i like music i can sing along to and both are sing alongy. although i don't prefer either it's clear who's missed out. :x

xXx

eviltb
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I went Metallica, I actually enjoyed the whole Load/Reload era which - apparently - is loathed by "pure" 'tallica fans. But anyway, Metallica.

TVC613
02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I'll go with Metallica, but Slayer and Anthrax are better...

and...

Dave Mustaine is a woman. It's true. I saw it on wikipedia.

messytacos
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Metallica only because I don't listen to metal.

KwH x Fatality
02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I love Metallica , but i have never really heard much of Megadeath.

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I went Metallica, I actually enjoyed the whole Load/Reload era which - apparently - is loathed by "pure" 'tallica fans. But anyway, Metallica.

Dude the Load/Reload era was awesome! I don't really get why a lot of 'tallica fans don't like it.

aussie_warrior117
02-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Both were pioneers in popularising thrash metal in America and both have had glory periods. Both have given a lot of opportunity to many musicians, look at the countless guitarists Megadeth has been through.

From a technical point of view, Megadeth is a clear winner they have stayed consistent in the technicality of their music in comparison to Metallica and that's even present in their latest album, Endgame.

However, I voted Metallica purely because I remember their stuff a lot more and am more influenced by them. Their first four albums were amazing all the way through. Regardless, if they made St. Anger which in my opinion (no bandwagon) was a stemaing pile of shit they still had the balls to stray from their old ways and had a decent comeback with Death Magnetic.

xVx PUNISHER
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Metallica all the way!!! I love all of their albums .... i dunno why ppl hate on load/reload and st anger.
Load and Reload were great ..... and they had a hard time during the st anger era but it was still decent enough not to mention they have changed some of the st anger songs live.

Anyway, i like james way more than dave and the band is generally a band.

whereas in megadeth .... its megadave or simply dave lol

I just hate how members keep changing.

this doesnt mean i dont like megadeth .... i love them but for me there are better choices.

and for those that say megadeth stuck to its root are stupid because you have risk .... I really dont care if they stuck to their roots because some of my all time favorites are on black album period and after.

Afro Ninja
02-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Slayer is my favorite band. But anyways, Megadeth wins for me. They're more unique. I mean compare Peace Sells (Megadeth's best song) to Master of Puppets (Metallica's best song). I love Metallica and all too but they are the MOST OVERRATED METAL BAND EVER! To be honest if Dave (The father of Thrash metal) was never in Metallica, then Metallica wouldn't be as popular as they are today. Metallica isn't even Thrash anymore.

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-05-2010, 03:53 AM
and for those that say megadeth stuck to its root are stupid because you have risk .... I really dont care if they stuck to their roots because some of my all time favorites are on black album period and after.

Yeah dude, Metallica didn't stick to them. And that's what I like about them. They tried something different, and to people like you and me, it worked, but to others not so muc.

PerpetualHeaven
02-05-2010, 04:17 AM
This question always ends in some serious mayhem. This is most evident on Youtube.

Anyways, I picked both. I prefer Metallica, though, because Hetfield is such a fantastic and versatile singer. That guy is the reason Metallica is better than Megadeth in my opinion. I just don't think Mustaine is good enough.

Regardless, I love both bands a lot.

Burning Karma
02-05-2010, 05:05 AM
To be honest if Dave (The father of Thrash metal) was never in Metallica, then Metallica wouldn't be as popular as they are today.
Really? No, really? What a statement. It's not like they wrote the quintessential metal song ("Master of Puppets") without Dave or anything. No no, even after that, Metallica was all Mustaine's work, surely, was it not? They just overlooked that fact when assigning songwriting credits, I'm positive. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Let's face facts here: Sure, Mustaine did have a great influence on early Metallica, no doubt. But he did not have much to do with Metallica's popularity. Yes, they had cred in the underground metal world with Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. But they didn't explode until around Master of Puppets in the metal community and The Black Album outside of it.

institutions
02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
This whole post is my personal opinion.
^There. That's so I don't have to put 'imo' in every sentence.

Neither.

Metallica:
Lars Ulrich is a shitty drummer and just a shitty person in general. He's a douche.
Kirk Hammett isn't that great of a guitar player. There are more keys than E, and all his solos sound EXACTLY the same.
Cliff Burton was a horrible bassist. Idk why everyone idolizes him.
James Hetfield isn't too bad. Like his vocals.

Megadeth:
A wise man once said, "Dave Mustaine is a fucking pussy."
Bad at vocals/guitar/anything else he tries.
Can't comment on the rest of the band because they're fucking nobodies anyway. I don't even know any of their names. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing a Megadeth bass line or drum beat, except Peace Sells and only because of RB2.

Mastodon FTW.

SirBigRig
02-05-2010, 05:27 AM
metallica....... easy

DOOKH8R
02-05-2010, 05:30 AM
After hearing Metallica's Master of Puppets on a NASCAR commercial yesterday, I will never listen to their sold out asses again

xVx PUNISHER
02-05-2010, 08:05 AM
To all the previous posts ........

The main reason that master exploded was because of James and Cliff!

You can't honestly say that EVERYONE from both bands sucks (the guys that said IMO).

Anyway, most of them have got awards or some sort of recognition for their work. While i agree they are overhyped within the metal world ..... although metal rarely get recognition as much as pop/emo/punk or whatever is mainstream these days since there are soo many sub genres now.

The Destroyernatorer
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Who do you like? Megadeth, Metallica, both or neither? I did a search but could not find anything like this and I was wondering how people on here like these bands. I like both but Metallica is better IMO.

My thoughts exactly.

Metallica have been far to important as well.

Jemocasa
02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
They both rock, but what gets me is those who will only listen to one but not the other.

xVx PUNISHER
02-06-2010, 07:35 AM
They both rock, but what gets me is those who will only listen to one but not the other.

Its usually because the other band "SUCK" or "SOLD OUT" ...... and much more just visit youtube loooooool

Magic Coletrain
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Both.

Both bands have been through alot and both have produced quality albums

Master Of Puppets
Peace Sells
...And Justice For All
Rust In Peace
Ride The Lightning
Countdown To Extinction
Death Magnetic
Endgame

:D

Amazing musicians, amazing bands, amazing music!

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-07-2010, 04:52 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Metallica have been far to important as well.

Yeah, they have been very inspirational to modern thrash and hard rock bands. Without them music could possibly be a lot different.

IRONMAN
02-07-2010, 04:55 AM
It's a no brainer....Megadeth over Metallica....not to take anything away from Metallica....there first 4 albums were amazing...but I like almost all of Megadeths albums except risk, that one does suck.

Risk doesn't suck, but it's not a Megadeth record. It should have been used as a personal project, or under MD.44 ... Some of the songs on Risk are totally awesome, but it doesnt fit the vibe of the other albums they released. Im a Megadeth fan personally, but respect and enjoy both bands.

Off/On Topic... just because someone puts "IMO" after everything they say doesn't make YOUR opinion less douchebaggie. ;)

PerpetualHeaven
02-07-2010, 05:08 AM
This whole post is my personal opinion.
^There. That's so I don't have to put 'imo' in every sentence.

Neither.

Metallica:
Lars Ulrich is a shitty drummer and just a shitty person in general. He's a douche.
Kirk Hammett isn't that great of a guitar player. There are more keys than E, and all his solos sound EXACTLY the same.
James Hetfield isn't too bad. Like his vocals.

Megadeth:
A wise man once said, "Dave Mustaine is a fucking pussy."
Bad at vocals/guitar/anything else he tries.
Can't comment on the rest of the band because they're fucking nobodies anyway. I don't even know any of their names. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing a Megadeth bass line or drum beat, except Peace Sells and only because of RB2.

Mastodon FTW.

Mustaine was ranked #1 best metal guitarist ever by Joe McIver. Mustaine's lead and rhythm work are phenomenal. He's an amazing guitarist, both in lead and rhtyhm. I know it's your opinion, but he's actually really good.

Also, Kirk is pretty damn good, too. Satch student and he knows quite a bit of musica theory. Agree to disagree, though.

institutions
02-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Mustaine was ranked #1 best metal guitarist ever by Joe McIver. Mustaine's lead and rhythm work are phenomenal.

Maybe it's just my ears then. He's probably really good, I just never hear him play and go 'yessss.'

I saw that :P In the newest issue of Guitar World they list:
Mustaine/Broderick = Best Metal Guitarists, Mustaine = MVP, Broderick = 3rd Best Shredder, Endgame = Best Metal Album.

I guess I could give Megadeth another try. I used to like Rust in Peace, guess i'll start there. No Peace Sells though.
And no Metallica.

PerpetualHeaven
02-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Maybe it's just my ears then. He's probably really good, I just never hear him play and go 'yessss.'

I saw that :P In the newest issue of Guitar World they list:
Mustaine/Broderick = Best Metal Guitarists, Mustaine = MVP, Broderick = 3rd Best Shredder, Endgame = Best Metal Album.

I guess I could give Megadeth another try. I used to like Rust in Peace, guess i'll start there. No Peace Sells though.
And no Metallica.

Go to you youtube and look up Washington is Next Solo with Dave Navarro. Don't type Dave Navarro in there though.

Noddlez
02-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Mastodon FTW.

Ok Cliff was an amazing bassist, you have not seen any live video of him haven't you? He was better then the first bassist they had, and i mean WAY better. Metallica fell after he was killed. That is why he is an idol to most, even me, he is in the ranks of others to me. I don't know what shit you listen you can't say he is shitty if he made Metallica good for the first 3 albums which are the only good ones. At least you like 1 good band, Mastodon fucking kills.

Kairi
02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Metallica here, saw them in concert twice :]

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Metallica here, saw them in concert twice :]

Nice! I've seen them once at MSG, it was simply amazing! Wish i could see them again!:Bounce::Bounce::Bounce:

Jim Auh Thee
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
i gotta say both
but im tired about how people think metallica are bunch a sell outs
who gives a fuck there music has kickin ass for the past how many years
metal wouldnt be @ the place its @ today without metalicca

FoxRacing1234
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Metallica all the way. I hate Megadeth with a passion.

Tussell
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
People throw this around way too much. Just because they had an impact on the genre, doesn't make a band great.

I do, in fact, love Metallica, so this is a bad example, but people cut way too much slack for some bands just because they were the 'first' or the 'change' in the genre.

dd316
02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
i gotta say both
but im tired about how people think metallica are bunch a sell outs
who gives a fuck there music has kickin ass for the past how many years
Today's metal is nothing like the Metallica that you're implying influenced it. Somewhere around the late 1980's, Metallica decided to venture away from what made them stand out from the pack, and they've never looked back.

Megadeth put out a couple bad albums (Risk, anyone?), but they've realized where they went wrong (apparently Marty Friedman was taking them down the more "radio-friendly" path Metallica chose), and once he was out of the mix, their albums have gotten better and better. I really feel that Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton were the guts of Metallica, their influence was very evident once they were gone from the band.

That being said... today, Megadeth is better. 20+ years ago it was Metallica.

PerpetualHeaven
02-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Today's metal is nothing like the Metallica that you're implying influenced it. Somewhere around the late 1980's, Metallica decided to venture away from what made them stand out from the pack, and they've never looked back.

Megadeth put out a couple bad albums (Risk, anyone?), but they've realized where they went wrong (apparently Marty Friedman was taking them down the more "radio-friendly" path Metallica chose), and once he was out of the mix, their albums have gotten better and better. I really feel that Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton were the guts of Metallica, their influence was very evident once they were gone from the band.

That being said... today, Megadeth is better. 20+ years ago it was Metallica.

I feel like Death Magnetic sounds like some of their older stuff. A lot harder than their prior stuff. I felt like it was an amazing album overall.

As for Mustaine, he only co-wrote 6 songs, 4 on Kill 'Em All and 2 on Ride the Lightning. You're giving too much credit to Mustaine here. He wasn't the heart and soul. I also really like Cliff Burton, but all the credit, to me, goes to James Hetfield. He writes all the songs and most of the rhythm and harmony parts of Metallica's songs.

dd316
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I feel like Death Magnetic sounds like some of their older stuff. A lot harder than their prior stuff. I felt like it was an amazing album overall.

As for Mustaine, he only co-wrote 6 songs, 4 on Kill 'Em All and 2 on Ride the Lightning. You're giving too much credit to Mustaine here. He wasn't the heart and soul. I also really like Cliff Burton, but all the credit, to me, goes to James Hetfield. He writes all the songs and most of the rhythm and harmony parts of Metallica's songs.
I thought Lars wrote most of their songs? While one guy might write a lot of their songs initially, they get fine-tuned when everyone else has their input. You can really see the difference once Cliff died and Justice came out. Not that Justice is bad, by any means, just a bit of departure from where they were before that.

PerpetualHeaven
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I thought Lars wrote most of their songs? While one guy might write a lot of their songs initially, they get fine-tuned when everyone else has their input. You can really see the difference once Cliff died and Justice came out. Not that Justice is bad, by any means, just a bit of departure from where they were before that.

Lars probably co-writes them, but, to my knowledge, Hetfield did most of the harmonies and rhythm sections before the '90s.

I won't disagree with what you're saying about Cliff. Cliff is probably the best bassist ever, in my opinion. But, yes, you're right the sound of the band went downhill after Cliff passed. "Death Magnetic", though, was a huge step in the right direction. What I really miss is music like "Shortest Straw" and "Hit The Lights".

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Lars probably co-writes them, but, to my knowledge, Hetfield did most of the harmonies and rhythm sections before the '90s.
Yes, Lars did co-write almost every song. If you look at song credits, him and james are one almost every song.

|oneyedNewb|
02-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Mettalica, a thousand times over.

Sir Pengin
02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
People throw this around way too much. Just because they had an impact on the genre, doesn't make a band great.

I do, in fact, love Metallica, so this is a bad example, but people cut way too much slack for some bands just because they were the 'first' or the 'change' in the genre.

I would hardly say Metallica have done anything for metal (unless you read kerrang).

Dave Mustaine wrote most of the demos with Burton and Metallica were still using songs Mustaine wrote even after he had left. Once Burton left Metallica entered fail.

Also don't forget the Hammett had to slow down the songs to play them.

xX mini94 Xx
02-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm more of a Metallica fan but i've only heard Peace Sells from Megadeth because it's on RB2 :')

Burning Karma
02-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I would hardly say Metallica have done anything for metal (unless you read kerrang).

Dave Mustaine wrote most of the demos with Burton and Metallica were still using songs Mustaine wrote even after he had left. Once Burton left Metallica entered fail.

....are you serious? Have you listened to Master of Puppets? Have you heard the numerous bands -- both metal and otherwise -- who cite Metallica as an influence?

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Say wha...? If mustaine could write better than Mettalica then how come Megadeth arent better than Mettalica?? and when Burton left, LEFT! you do know he died in a bus crash right.

Sir Pengin
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
....are you serious? Have you listened to Master of Puppets? Have you heard the numerous bands -- both metal and otherwise -- who cite Metallica as an influence?

I think trivium, and that is all.

Say wha...? If mustaine could write better than Mettalica then how come Megadeth arent better than Mettalica?? and when Burton left, LEFT! you do know he died in a bus crash right.

I'm not talking opinion i am talking fact, on terms of songwriting and playing ability Megadeth come out on top every single time. And yes Burton died and it's a shame as he was such a good bassist, but he left, i don't have to explain to obvious do i?

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM

I'm not talking opinion i am talking fact, on terms of songwriting and playing ability Megadeth come out on top every single time. And yes Burton died and it's a shame as he was such a good bassist, but he left, i don't have to explain to obvious do i?
When you say left, you mean leave the world or the band? because he didnt leave the band. That is your opinion and its not a fact at all, you think something is better than something else, thats an opinion. I dont have to explain the obvious do I?

dd316
02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
If mustaine could write better than Mettalica then how come Megadeth arent better than Mettalica?? and when Burton left, LEFT! you do know he died in a bus crash right.
Megadeth is better! :p

And you do know Metallica is spelled M-E-T-A-L-L-I-C-A, right? ;)

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Megadeth is better! :p

And you do know Metallica is spelled M-E-T-A-L-L-I-C-A, right? ;)
Yeah, the extra "T's" were there on purpose buddy ;)

Kudos.

dd316
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, the extra "T's" were there on purpose buddy ;)

Kudos.
Haha!! What about that missing "L"? :p

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Haha!! What about that missing "L"? :p
Shutty!! hahaha ;)

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM

You have no way of proving that Mustaine co-wrote anything past the 4 tracks on Kill 'Em All and 2 tracks on Ride The Lightning. The only piece Mustaine co-wrote that was truly great was "Ride The Lightning" and "Call of Ktulu".

And you can't discuss song writing in terms of "facts" because it is too subjective. Again, how can you say Mustaine is a better songwriter when 6 of the songs he co-wrote aren't arguably the most popular songs on either album?

So, I cannot agree with you saying that Mustaine co-wrote most of the songs with Burton. Lars and Hetfield co-wrote most of those songs as well.

Everything you've stated is either untrue or opinionated. You brought no real "facts" and just spewed bias commentary. Good job!

Tussell
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
You have no way of proving that Mustaine co-wrote anything past the 4 tracks on Kill 'Em All and 2 tracks on Ride The Lightning. The only piece Mustaine co-wrote that was truly great was "Ride The Lightning" and "Call of Ktulu".

And you can't discuss song writing in terms of "facts" because it is too subjective. Again, how can you say Mustaine is a better songwriter when 6 of the songs he co-wrote aren't arguably the most popular songs on either album?

So, I cannot agree with you saying that Mustaine co-wrote most of the songs with Burton. Lars and Hetfield co-wrote most of those songs as well.

Everything you've stated is either untrue or opinionated. You brought no real "facts" and just spewed bias commentary. Good job!
Plus he is clearly a Mustaine Fanboi, which is just super gay! :D

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
YouTube- James Hetfield parodies Dave Mustaine (France 2008)

:ass:nana

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2010, 06:58 PM
I think that's the only advantage Metallica has over Megadeth: Singing. No offense to Mustaine, but he isn't the most appealing singer ever. His guitar playing is pretty much perfect in the metal world, but he's not a great singer. Regardless, Megadeth is amazing in terms of instrumentals. He's not always a horrible singer. I really liked Mustaine in "Sweating Bullets".

I do think, though, that Mustaine is a better lead/rhythm guitarist than Hammett and Hetfield. Some people think Hetfield is the best rhythm guitarist, but I like Mustaine better.

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I think that's the only advantage Metallica has over Megadeth: Singing. No offense to Mustaine, but he isn't the most appealing singer ever. His guitar playing is pretty much perfect in the metal world, but he's not a great singer. Regardless, Megadeth is amazing in terms of instrumentals. He's not always a horrible singer. I really liked Mustaine in "Sweating Bullets".
Plus, a vocalist who isnt a complete c0ck.

Tussell
02-16-2010, 07:04 PM

I do think, though, that Mustaine is a better lead/rhythm guitarist than Hammett and Hetfield. Some people think Hetfield is the best rhythm guitarist, but I like Mustaine better.
I think that may be why I hate Megadeth so much... Their music isn't bad, but I really have a hard time with his voice... I mean, I like the classics of theirs, like 'Peace Sells' and shit like that, but overall, I think they're extremely overrated.

Not to mention, his lefty politics are enough to make me wanna boil a baby.

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I think that may be why I hate Megadeth so much... Their music isn't bad, but I really have a hard time with his voice... I mean, I like the classics of theirs, like 'Peace Sells' and shit like that, but overall, I think they're extremely overrated.

Not to mention, his lefty politics are enough to make me wanna boil a baby.

No matter how good someone's guitar playing is I don't think it makes up for a weak singing voice. Hetfield is an amazing singer. Hell, I'm pretty sure his mom was an Opera singer, so it's in his genes.

Ninja x360a
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Metallica all the way!
Megadeath is a great band, but for me Ive always prefered Metallica. Probably because I know all the Metallica songs, and only listen to Megadeath on occasion.

Sir Pengin
02-16-2010, 09:09 PM

You talk about the 6 songs he co-wrote but he wasn't even part of the band at the time so why even use them, had they been on kill em all it would have been different but they used his songs on albums after as filler, WHY!?

When you say left, you mean leave the world or the band? because he didnt leave the band. That is your opinion and its not a fact at all, you think something is better than something else, thats an opinion. I dont have to explain the obvious do I?

Is he in the band anymore? No because he's dead, leaving is leaving no matter the circumstance.

Plus he is clearly a Mustaine Fanboi, which is just super gay! :D

To see me in forums talking about periphery and then talking about being in an Extreme progressive band and then calling me a Mustaine fanboy, i really don't care about thrash that much but Megadeth have ALWAYS been superior to Metallica, the people saying songwriting is subjective are very very wrong.

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2010, 09:53 PM
You talk about the 6 songs he co-wrote but he wasn't even part of the band at the time so why even use them, had they been on kill em all it would have been different but they used his songs on albums after as filler, WHY!?

The keyword here is "co-wrote." Other band members helped write those songs as well and they wanted to use it. I never said the songs were bad. In actuality, they're very, very good. If Hetfield, Lars, and Burton helped write those songs, what difference does it make? They shouldn't use good songs because a departed member helped in the making of it?

And 4 of the songs Mustaine co-wrote was on Kill 'Em All. To everyone's knowledge, minus Mustaine, he only co-wrote 6 songs. That's it. Mustaine's songs weren't on anything past Ride The Lightning.

Sir Pengin
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
The keyword here is "co-wrote." Other band members helped write those songs as well and they wanted to use it. I never said the songs were bad. In actuality, they're very, very good. If Hetfield, Lars, and Burton helped write those songs, what difference does it make? They shouldn't use good songs because a departed member helped in the making of it?

And 4 of the songs Mustaine co-wrote was on Kill 'Em All. To everyone's knowledge, minus Mustaine, he only co-wrote 6 songs. That's it. Mustaine's songs weren't on anything past Ride The Lightning.

If one of my band members left i don't think i could, it's almost taking credit for other peoples work.

The second album, "Ride The Lightning," came out in the spring of 1984, featuring riffs from Dave Mustaine and also Tom Hunting via Kirk Hammett. - Metal archives

The main point is after Mustaine and Burton departed Metallica went downhill drastically, it's not really a coincidence.

Metallica then won a grammy for "Rock Instrumental Performance" with "The Call of the Ktulu" taken from the "S&M" album. - Metal archives

Again LOL.

|oneyedNewb|
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Is he in the band anymore? No because he's dead, leaving is leaving no matter the circumstance.

But he didnt leave through choice did he? I understand what you're saying but the way you worded it was as if he left through his own will. Had it not been for the Bus accident would he still be playing for Metallica? Errrr most likely.

PerpetualHeaven
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
...And Justice For All is a certified 8x platinum album. "One" won a grammy for best Hard Rock/Metal Performance.

How about Master of Puppets? No Mustaine on there yet it is widely regarded as one of the best metal albums ever.

And your main point is MOOT! Cliff Burton was always a member of Metallica. You cannot use a Metallica member as a way to argue against Metallica. Burton was the bassist and he helped Metallica achieve fame. Without Hammet or Hetfield or Lars, you think Burton would be anyone? Vice versa for all members. Metallica is Metallica because of the members as a whole.

Also, if my band mate was a drunk, a druggie, and had a bad personality, I wouldn't not include a song he helped me write just because he's being a dick. Mustaine got kicked out for a reason. Who cares if he helped co-write it. So did every other member minus Hammett.

Burning Karma
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
*facepalms* Read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica#Legacy_and_influence) and get back to me.

Also, if you want to argue Metallica's prestige because they won one Grammy off a song that was co-wrote by Mustaine, let's look at all the other Grammys they have won: "One", Metallica, "Better Than You", "St. Anger", and "My Apocalypse" (not to mention the songs and albums that were nominated but didn't win). Personally, I don't think the Grammy Awards really mean shit, but if you want to bring up the only one they won thanks in part to Mustaine, I'm gonna bring up all the ones they won without him.

Sir Pengin
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
*facepalms* Read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica#Legacy_and_influence) and get back to me.

Also, if you want to argue Metallica's prestige because they won one Grammy off a song that was co-wrote by Mustaine, let's look at all the other Grammys they have won: "One", Metallica, "Better Than You", "St. Anger", and "My Apocalypse" (not to mention the songs and albums that were nominated but didn't win). Personally, I don't think the Grammy Awards really mean shit, but if you want to bring up the only one they won thanks in part to Mustaine, I'm gonna bring up all the ones they won without him. HAHAHAHAHA, I see Korn, machine head, trivium and a tonne of other bands that aren't very good, i like metal not angst teenager music.

...And Justice For All is a certified 8x platinum album. "One" won a grammy for best Hard Rock/Metal Performance.

How about Master of Puppets? No Mustaine on there yet it is widely regarded as one of the best metal albums ever.

And your main point is MOOT! Cliff Burton was always a member of Metallica. You cannot use a Metallica member as a way to argue against Metallica. Burton was the bassist and he helped Metallica achieve fame. Without Hammet or Hetfield or Lars, you think Burton would be anyone? Vice versa for all members. Metallica is Metallica because of the members as a whole.

Also, if my band mate was a drunk, a druggie, and had a bad personality, I wouldn't not include a song he helped me write just because he's being a dick. Mustaine got kicked out for a reason. Who cares if he helped co-write it. So did every other member minus Hammett.

So you wouldn't want to distance yourself? Again the main point is Mustaine and Burton were the main driving force of Metallica, i don't see many people praising the albums past Master of puppets.

But he didnt leave through choice did he? I understand what you're saying but the way you worded it was as if he left through his own will. Had it not been for the Bus accident would he still be playing for Metallica? Errrr most likely.

If so Metallica would still be around writing better than average thrash, that's all.

And to everyone else record sales does not have a direct correlation to songwriting ability and talent.

Burning Karma
02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, I see Korn, machine head, trivium and a tonne of other bands that aren't very good, i like metal not angst teenager music.
Oh, lemme guess: You listen to the blackest of the black metal and is trve and kvlt, right? *rolls eyes*
All of the bands mentioned: Korn, Godsmack, Machine Head, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, God Forbid, Ill Nino, Adema, and Apocalyptica. And that's just those listed there, in that one paragraph.
But I also wanted to direct your attention to the paragraph above those bands, the one with this little gem:
Stephen Thomas Erlewine and Greg Prato of Allmusic said Metallica, "expanded the limits of thrash, using speed and volume not for their own sake, but to enhance their intricately structured compositions", calling the band "easily the best, most influential heavy metal band of the '80s, responsible for bringing the music back to Earth."Sounds like high praise to me, but what do I know?
Also, make a note of all the lists of "Greatest" or "Heaviest" that they are on....

So you wouldn't want to distance yourself? Again the main point is Mustaine and Burton were the main driving force of Metallica, i don't see many people praising the albums past Master of puppets.
Ever heard of ...And Justice for All? Metallica? Death Magnetic? Nope, I guess not since Mustaine had zero to do with them.

Sir Pengin
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh, lemme guess: You listen to the blackest of the black metal and is trve and kvlt, right? *rolls eyes*
All of the bands mentioned: Korn, Godsmack, Machine Head, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, God Forbid, Ill Nino, Adema, and Apocalyptica. And that's just those listed there, in that one paragraph.
But I also wanted to direct your attention to the paragraph above those bands, the one with this little gem:
Sounds like high praise to me, but what do I know?
Also, make a note of all the lists of "Greatest" or "Heaviest" that they are on....

Ever heard of ...And Justice for All? Metallica? Death Magnetic? Nope, I guess not since Mustaine had zero to do with them.

Wow somebody is assumptive, i don't like kid music i MUST be a krieghead. I listen to all kinds of metal, i'm sorry but Korn aren't even metal.

"expanded the limits of thrash, using speed and volume not for their own sake, but to enhance their intricately structured compositions"I see no expansion on thrash i am afraid. I don't see any intricately structured compositions either, it's 4/4 with not much technicality at all. Atheist are a band much more suited to that description.

"easily the best, most influential heavy metal band of the '80s, responsible for bringing the music back to Earth."[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica#cite_note-Metallica_AMG-89) So not maiden a band that most bands who write original music mainly cite as an influence? Just opinion.

As for the awards i see mainstream all over this. Mtv LOL, billboard LOL. Of course Metallica are going to win with those kinds of nominees.

Nice mature comment about the other metallica albums, And justice for all is meh, i'm not going to say aything about metallica (or the albums everybody hates) and death magnetic is ok but i tire of bland music.

EDIT: Just been on your last.fm, no wonder i can't talk actual music with you.

PerpetualHeaven
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM

But would Burton be anyone without Metallica? Hetfield isn't a driving force? Neither is Lars? Look at the songs co-written on most of the albums. Burton wasn't the co-writer for a lot of the songs and it was just Ulrich and Hetfield. The band worked as a unity. ...And Justice For All was a fantastic album, I think.

And how was Mustaine the "driving force"? He co-wrote 6 songs out of the from the first two albums. That's 6 out of 18 total songs. On Kill 'Em All, Mustaine co-wrote 4 songs but Hetfield and Lars co-wrote the entire album, which is 8. That's two times more than Mustaine. On Ride The Lightning, Mustaine only co-wrote two songs out of 10. Lars and Hetfield did, again, the entire album, which is 10 songs this time. So, explain to me how Mustaine was a driving force? Hell, Kirk co-wrote more songs on Ride The Lightning than Mustaine coming in at 4 songs.

You know how many songs Burton co-wrote on Kill 'Em All? 0! He wrote a bass solo and that's it. On Master of Puppets, Burton only co-wrote three songs out of the 8. Lars and Hetfield co-wrote the whole album, again. And Hammet actually co-wrote 5 songs.

You also realize ...And Justice For All was nominated for a 1989 grammy, but lost to Jethro Tull in arguably one of the biggest upsets of all time. It's considered one of the most controversial decisions. Regardless, the album was a huge hit and a lot of people loved it. Commercial success does mean something! It means the fans loved it!

All you do is regurgitate the same thing over and over again without bringing anything new to the table. You have a blatant bias opinion. You start sentences but don't finish them assuming everyone understands the points you're making. Instead you're just spinning in circles saying the same BS without ever making your points clear or backed up with any form of objective evidence.

Sir Pengin
02-17-2010, 12:16 AM
But would Burton be anyone without Metallica? Hetfield isn't a driving force? Neither is Lars? Look at the songs co-written on most of the albums. Burton wasn't the co-writer for a lot of the songs and it was just Ulrich and Hetfield. The band worked as a unity. ...And Justice For All was a fantastic album, I think.

And how was Mustaine the "driving force"? He co-wrote 6 songs out of the from the first two albums. That's 6 out of 18 total songs. On Kill 'Em All, Mustaine co-wrote 4 songs but Hetfield and Lars co-wrote the entire album, which is 8. That's two times more than Mustaine. On Ride The Lightning, Mustaine only co-wrote two songs out of 10. Lars and Hetfield did, again, the entire album, which is 10 songs this time. So, explain to me how Mustaine was a driving force? Hell, Kirk co-wrote more songs on Ride The Lightning than Mustaine coming in at 4 songs.

You know how many songs Burton co-wrote on Kill 'Em All? 0! He wrote a bass solo and that's it. On Master of Puppets, Burton only co-wrote three songs out of the 8. Lars and Hetfield co-wrote the whole album, again. And Hammet actually co-wrote 5 songs.

You also realize ...And Justice For All was nominated for a 1989 grammy, but lost to Jethro Tull in arguably one of the biggest upsets of all time. It's considered one of the most controversial decisions. Regardless, the album was a huge hit and a lot of people loved it. Commercial success does mean something! It means the fans loved it!

All you do is regurgitate the same thing over and over again without bringing anything new to the table.

Because until a point has been agreed with i shouldn't have to resort to throwing another point in just to make myself feel like i am right.

You don't have to write songs to be a driving force, if you hadn't noticed the change even after Mustaine leaving then you really haven't been listening very close at all.

Are you saying no band worked harder, and wasn't as talented as Metallica and thus didn't even get nominated for a grammy? Because if so then wow.

Sir Pengin
02-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Anyway since all direction has been lost i'll leave with this.

Metallica are a primitive band who write simple music for simple people, they don't have very good songwriting ability and they haven't evolved in the 29 years they have been together.

elephantd
02-17-2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.sam3k.com/images/dave-mustaine-pancakes.jpg

hahahahahahahah! Nice

PerpetualHeaven
02-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Because until a point has been agreed with i shouldn't have to resort to throwing another point in just to make myself feel like i am right.

You don't have to write songs to be a driving force, if you hadn't noticed the change even after Mustaine leaving then you really haven't been listening very close at all.

Are you saying no band worked harder, and wasn't as talented as Metallica and thus didn't even get nominated for a grammy? Because if so then wow.

Mustaine was kicked out before the first album was released. So, all their albums suck because Mustaine was gone? He was kicked out in '82. Their first album, Kill 'Em All, came out in '83. So, please, expand how Mustaine was a driving force and him leaving changed the sound of the band even though he didn't exist for any albums at all?

And lol @ Metallica being primitive. Good stuff. You're such a knowledgeable critic!

|oneyedNewb|
02-17-2010, 01:26 AM
If so Metallica would still be around writing better than average thrash, that's all.

And to everyone else record sales does not have a direct correlation to songwriting ability and talent.
Ofcourse, Burton was a talent and his input would surely be welcomed I'm sure BUT! look at all the work Metallica made when Burton passed on? And Justice for all, The Black album...granted, Load and ReLoad can be seen as "Not the best 'Tallica could do" but still some decent albums. St anger and Death Magnetic however are two good albums, Magnetic especially.

Your basically only attacking James, Lars and Kirk here, 3 very talented musicians and like others have said... you keep talking about how much mustaine put into the band but look at the stuff Metallica made after Dave was kicked out, Master of Puppets is seen as one of 'THE' best metal albums aswell as Justice and the Black album.

xVx PUNISHER
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
There is no FACT when it comes to music .... it's all subjective.

Stop arguing about who is better, they both have very different styles.

I really like both bands but i don't compare .... if i compared every band to one band then i would just listen to that one band since its THE best!

People listen to many bands because they want diversity, simple as that.

dd316
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Mustaine's singing definitely isn't the best (he's pretty awful live), but you guys think Hetfield's is better? His current singing style is one of the biggest reasons their music now is so unlistenable (is that a word?). Live, he completely ruins their classic songs. I don't know why he feels the need to add additional syllables to the ends of words.

But he is a monster rhythm guitarist. He is the king of the downstroke. Trying to play guitar the way he does is painful, especially on stuff like Creeping Death.

Burning Karma
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow somebody is assumptive, i don't like kid music i MUST be a krieghead. I listen to all kinds of metal, i'm sorry but Korn aren't even metal.
They're metal. Nu metal, which as I'm sure you know, is one of the many, many, many subgenres of metal. And talk about me being assumptive:

EDIT: Just been on your last.fm, no wonder i can't talk actual music with you.
Enlighten me, O Wise One, what is this actual music of which you speak? I must surely seek it out immediately! Otherwise, I doomed forever to live with my subpar musical taste!

Mustaine's singing definitely isn't the best (he's pretty awful live)
This saddens me. I'll be seeing them live March 22nd. :(

I don't know why he feels the need to add additional syllables to the ends of words.
xD He's pretty much always done that. This pretty much sums it up, quite comedically:

YouTube- Jim Breuer - Rock Kid Music

xVx PUNISHER
02-18-2010, 06:30 AM
They're metal. Nu metal, which as I'm sure you know, is one of the many, many, many subgenres of metal. And talk about me being assumptive:

Enlighten me, O Wise One, what is this actual music of which you speak? I must surely seek it out immediately! Otherwise, I doomed forever to live with my subpar musical taste!

This saddens me. I'll be seeing them live March 22nd. :(

xD He's pretty much always done that. This pretty much sums it up, quite comedically:

YouTube- Jim Breuer - Rock Kid Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO8ji7niEqw)

I bet he's one of those kids who thinks of metal as only heavy metal no nu-metal and metalcore which is why he hates metallica .... OMG THEY CHANGED ... get over it

but megadeth is harcore!! omg they never changed

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I bet he's one of those kids who thinks of metal as only heavy metal no nu-metal and metalcore which is why he hates metallica .... OMG THEY CHANGED ... get over it

haha i hate when people say that. I like bands that change and try new things. It makes it more interesting to listen to the newer albums then just the same type of sound over, and over again. It gets boring to me.

xVx PUNISHER
02-18-2010, 09:08 PM
haha i hate when people say that. I like bands that change and try new things. It makes it more interesting to listen to the newer albums then just the same type of sound over, and over again. It gets boring to me.

look at avenged sevenfold and children of bodom.

both have changed over the years and they always keep things fresh and interesting.

dd316
02-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Megadeth changed.... but thankfully they changed back. :)

Dustinator
02-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Metallica. I don't like Megadeth too much.

EDIT: wow. Intelligent conversations up above. lol Never knew Mustaine wrote songs for Metallica though......Metallica is still better :) IMO

Th33Troop33r
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I Like both of them equally but Iron Maiden still wins :)

xVx PUNISHER
02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I Like both of them equally but Iron Maiden still wins :)

Hell yah iron maiden pwns both!

But my fav is still metallica :P

boond0ck 83
02-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Metallica for sure, megadeath is just bleh.

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-24-2010, 08:38 PM
look at avenged sevenfold and children of bodom.

both have changed over the years and they always keep things fresh and interesting.
Exactly and thats one thing I love about those bands :woop:

xVx PUNISHER
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Exactly and thats one thing I love about those bands :woop:

Not to mention a band is a collaboration of many people and they all should have a say, where in megadeth it really feels like its just dave.

I still like them but there is a reason megadeth is good and there is a reason why it won't improve (both are dave)

Afro Ninja
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Really? No, really? What a statement. It's not like they wrote the quintessential metal song ("Master of Puppets") without Dave or anything. No no, even after that, Metallica was all Mustaine's work, surely, was it not? They just overlooked that fact when assigning songwriting credits, I'm positive. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Let's face facts here: Sure, Mustaine did have a great influence on early Metallica, no doubt. But he did not have much to do with Metallica's popularity. Yes, they had cred in the underground metal world with Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. But they didn't explode until around Master of Puppets in the metal community and The Black Album outside of it.
I love both bands. But I'm just more of a fan of Megadeth. Megadeth's bassist, David Ellefson, is my favorite bassist of all time and he's basically what got me into Megadeth, his bass playing. I'm sure everyone has heard the beginning of Peace Sells, but his best song is: YouTube- Megadeth-Dawn Patrol

and

YouTube- Ellefson Bass Solo

Him, Cliff (Metallica), and Tom (Slayer) are considered the three best thrash metal bassists of all time. And all three of them are on the "Top 100 Best Metal Bassists" list.

I also think Dave is a much better guitarist then Kirk.

Afro Ninja
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I made a new post because the other one was getting too long.

Dave Mustaine is a fucking pussy. Megadeth sucks. Just because you think Dave is a "pussy" doesn't mean you have to hate Megadeth, but it's your opinion and I respect it. Dave's attitude has gotten better. In fact, Megadeth and Metallica are actually friends now.

So Tussel, Megadeth doesn't suck, you just don't like them (which is your opinion and that's fine).

Tussel, I'm trying to help you because I care about you (and I'm sure many other people do too).

So Everyone, just because you don't like a particular band, it doesn't mean they suck, it means you just don't like them.

And theres your lesson today everyone, from Afro Ninja :) Have a good day!

xVx PUNISHER
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I love both bands. But I'm just more of a fan of Megadeth. Megadeth's bassist, David Ellefson, is my favorite bassist of all time and he's basically what got me into Megadeth, his bass playing. I'm sure everyone has heard the beginning of Peace Sells, but his best song is: YouTube- Megadeth-Dawn Patrol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YBQJkk2-I)

and

YouTube- Ellefson Bass Solo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rd4q6EeKvA)

Him, Cliff (Metallica), and Tom (Slayer) are considered the three best thrash metal bassists of all time. And all three of them are on the "Top 100 Best Metal Bassists" list.

I also think Dave is a much better guitarist then Kirk.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Where's steve harris :P

Afro Ninja
02-26-2010, 12:12 AM
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Where's steve harris :P
I said best THRASH metal bassists. Last time I checked, Maiden wasn't a thrash metal band.

And Steve would definitely have topped those three if I said best metal bassists.

PerpetualHeaven
02-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Probably no one is better than Geddy Lee. Arguably the greatest bassist ever.

Also, I agree that Mustaine's attitude has changed a lot. He's not so much of a douche as he was back in the day. Regardless, his lead and rhythm guitar harmonies is the stuff Gods make.

kforte318
02-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Metallica all the way. I lost a lot of respect for Dave Mustaine after reading a book about the origins of metal. I'm sure many disagree, but he just seems, frankly, a bit whiny to me. Kirk Hammett is clearly a better guitarist, and creating a band simply to try and get back at old friends seems a bit childish. I do like Megadeth, but the bases on which they were created is dumb to me. Besides all of that, I like Metallica's music better anyways.

Afro Ninja
02-26-2010, 04:07 AM
Metallica all the way. I lost a lot of respect for Dave Mustaine after reading a book about the origins of metal. I'm sure many disagree, but he just seems, frankly, a bit whiny to me. Kirk Hammett is clearly a better guitarist, and creating a band simply to try and get back at old friends seems a bit childish. I do like Megadeth, but the bases on which they were created is dumb to me. Besides all of that, I like Metallica's music better anyways.
Kirk is not a better guitarist. And Dave didn't create Megadeth to get back at them, I mean if I got kicked out of a band then I would've just started my own band as well. Again people, like I said, Dave isn't like that anymore.

Edit: Plus, I hate the fact that Metallica still uses Dave's music that he wrote for them and he never got any credit for it.

xVx PUNISHER
02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Kirk is not a better guitarist. And Dave didn't create Megadeth to get back at them, I mean if I got kicked out of a band then I would've just started my own band as well. Again people, like I said, Dave isn't like that anymore.

Edit: Plus, I hate the fact that Metallica still uses Dave's music that he wrote for them and he never got any credit for it.

Depends on their contract, he must have agreed to "Anything you write is a band asset", besides he co-wrote them. And yes he didn't create it to be back at them but he did say he wants a more famous/successful band.

Yah he changed a lot, now they are "rivals" anymore and more like friends ...... he became a man of god as well.

Anyway, the only reason i am talking with you is because every other megadeth fan is like a robot program to say one thing while you clearly present some valid points.

dd316
02-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Probably no one is better than Geddy Lee. Arguably the greatest bassist ever.
While this isn't a bassist thread, I just had to chime in on this. Les Claypool is the greatest EVER! Even when I watch him play, it doesn't look like those sounds should be coming from his bass. He's the master!!

VisionsOfDemise
02-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Whilst wearing a Metallica T Shirt I will have to say I prefer Megadeth. Taylorxxx made some excellent points on the first page; Megadeth would have sold out if they were given the chance. Fucking obviously, who in their right mind wouldn't?

Mustaine would've also been a sellout if he wasn't kicked out of Metallica in the first place, and this stupid rivalry would've probably never happened.

PerpetualHeaven
02-26-2010, 03:29 PM

What songs do they use that Mustaine solely wrote that they didn't give him credit for? Zero to my knowledge. He's been given credit for a total of six songs.

Afro Ninja
02-26-2010, 09:07 PM
What songs do they use that Mustaine solely wrote that they didn't give him credit for? Zero to my knowledge. He's been given credit for a total of six songs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_'Em_All

"Mustaine claims he had asked the other members not to use music he had written; Hetfield and Ulrich dispute this."

Inform me if I had read it wrong.

Depends on their contract, he must have agreed to "Anything you write is a band asset", besides he co-wrote them. And yes he didn't create it to be back at them but he did say he wants a more famous/successful band.

Yah he changed a lot, now they are "rivals" anymore and more like friends ...... he became a man of god as well.

Anyway, the only reason i am talking with you is because every other megadeth fan is like a robot program to say one thing while you clearly present some valid points. Even though I am a Megadeth fan, Thank you.

I love both bands though. Here are my favorite albums by both bands in order:

Metallica:
1. Ride The Lightning
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Master of Puppets
4. Kill Em' All
5. The Black Album (I only like Enter Sandman and Holier Than Thou)

Megadeth:
1. Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
2. Rust In Peace
3. Countdown to Extinction
4. Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
5. So Far, So Good... So What!
(Did anyone else notice that Megadeth's first three albums all had ellipses in them.)

Metallica is one of my favorite bands but they changed, haha. Ever since The Black Album, they're not really thrash anymore, they're just meh. I mean when I first heard Nothing Else Matters on the radio, I spat out my soda and said "Is this Metallica or The Marshall Tucker Band!?". I miss the old 80's Metallica :(.

Megadeth quite changed too. They're still thrash, but it seems like they're starting to move away from the genre like Metallica did. Ever since Youthanasia, they're just meh aswell.

Slayer, Kreator, and Testament are still the same. Hopefully, they don't change too.

Slayer is my favorite band and I really hope they don't change too. :)

xVx PUNISHER
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_'Em_All (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_%27Em_All)

"Mustaine claims he had asked the other members not to use music he had written; Hetfield and Ulrich dispute this."

Inform me if I had read it wrong.

Even though I am a Megadeth fan, Thank you.

I love both bands though. Here are my favorite albums by both bands in order:

Metallica:
1. Ride The Lightning
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Master of Puppets
4. Kill Em' All
5. The Black Album (I only like Enter Sandman and Holier Than Thou)

Megadeth:
1. Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
2. Rust In Peace
3. Countdown to Extinction
4. Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
5. So Far, So Good... So What!
(Did anyone else notice that Megadeth's first three albums all had ellipses in them.)

Metallica is one of my favorite bands but they changed, haha. Ever since The Black Album, they're not really thrash anymore, they're just meh. I mean when I first heard Nothing Else Matters on the radio, I spat out my soda and said "Is this Metallica or The Marshall Tucker Band!?". I miss the old 80's Metallica :(.

Megadeth quite changed too. They're still thrash, but it seems like they're starting to move away from the genre like Metallica did. Ever since Youthanasia, they're just meh aswell.

Slayer, Kreator, and Testament are still the same. Hopefully, they don't change too.

Slayer is my favorite band and I really hope they don't change too. :)

I am not really upset that they changed, i mean things like nothing else matters/ fade to black / trust / a tout le monde are really awesome and stuff i can easily relate to. not to mention most of my friends hear one of those and then slowly become metalheads lol

Load/Reload/Risk were decent i dunno why people criticize.

Oh and that was the time when kirk started writing his own stuff instead of leeching jame's work, it had a few productive songs but i guess the band didn't like it and went back to their root in death magnetic, not to mention ROB IS AMAZING ON BASS!! (even if he mates with his bass like a guerrilla)

Oh and david, OMG his back into megadeth! on endgame the bass was annoying!!! Really miss the golden group (Nick,marty, dave, david)

Afro Ninja
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I am not really upset that they changed, i mean things like nothing else matters/ fade to black / trust / a tout le monde are really awesome and stuff i can easily relate to. not to mention most of my friends hear one of those and then slowly become metalheads lol

Load/Reload/Risk were decent i dunno why people criticize.

Oh and that was the time when kirk started writing his own stuff instead of leeching jame's work, it had a few productive songs but i guess the band didn't like it and went back to their root in death magnetic, not to mention ROB IS AMAZING ON BASS!! (even if he mates with his bass like a guerrilla)

Oh and david, OMG his back into megadeth! on endgame the bass was annoying!!! Really miss the golden group (Nick,marty, dave, david)
I hate Nothing Else Matters, it's a terrible song in my opinion!

Yeah, I'm really glad to see David (my favorite bassist of all time) back. :)

ChaosGod87
02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Metallica for me, first song I heard by them was The Four Horsemen and got hooked on them. Yes I know, it sounds just like Mechanix by Megadeth, listened to that and didn't like it.

dd316
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Metallica for me, first song I heard by them was The Four Horsemen and got hooked on them. Yes I know, it sounds just like Mechanix by Megadeth, listened to that and didn't like it.
The Four Horsemen IS The Mechanix, just slowed down with different lyrics.

XxFrAsZeRxX
03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
not to mention ROB IS AMAZING ON BASS!! (even if he mates with his bass like a guerrilla)

Yeah dude, have you seen what Rob does live on For Whom the Bell Tolls? It's great haha!

Also, yeah David was awesome but I am kind of liking their new lead guitarist :rock.

Afro Ninja
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Haha, Dave wrote The Four Horsemen.
If there was no Mechanix then The Four Horsemen wouldn't exist.

Afro Ninja
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah dude, have you seen what Rob does live on For Whom the Bell Tolls? It's great haha!

Also, yeah David was awesome but I am kind of liking their new lead guitarist :rock.
Chris is good but no one will ever beat Marty.

Tussell
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow... This thread is still alive? I think I'm going to puke...

Rebmob
03-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Wow... This thread is still alive? I think I'm going to puke...

Lol, I never noticed this thread.. might as well have my say now.

I feel like picking one of the two would be wrong. Both of the bands are very talented. Metallica is more main stream and popular among the public, but Megadeth is just as amazing even if not as popular among the public. I classify these bands together and they are both as good as each other. Let's just hope they both crank out a few more albums.

zero437
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
between the two? Metallica

Barad
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm not really a fan of either.

xVx PUNISHER
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Christ is good but no one will ever beat Marty.

Marty just feels the music .... chris looks like a robot.

PerpetualHeaven
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Christ is good but no one will ever beat Marty.

Because Marty is easily one of the best technical guitarists alive and that ever existed. He's an amazing guitar player. But, he's more of a neoclassical guy and that's why he left the band. I think Marty, in terms of pure guitar playing, is way, way better than Mustaine. Regardless, both play two different styles of music and are pretty incomparable, I think.

xVx PUNISHER
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Because Marty is easily one of the best technical guitarists alive and that ever existed. He's an amazing guitar player. But, he's more of a neoclassical guy and that's why he left the band. I think Marty, in terms of pure guitar playing, is way, way better than Mustaine. Regardless, both play two different styles of music and are pretty incomparable, I think.

That's why i hate comparing ..... ITS DIFFERENT! Just take it for what it is.

But people just have to compare to prove superiority

DakidJose
03-04-2010, 01:50 AM
This should answer the question.Watch it on YouTube for Widescreen 720p Quality.
I need this Blu-Ray. NOW!!

YouTube- Fight Fire with Fire - Metallica (HD)(Live)(Orgullo, Pasión Y Gloria DVD1)

YouTube- Dyers Eve - Metallica (HD)(Live)(Orgullo, Pasión Y Gloria DVD2)

Der Fuhrer
03-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Don't particularly like either, but I would prefer Metallica because I do enjoy some of there songs, though most just sound the same with me. Megadeath is just crap in my opinion.

MrBubbles x360a
03-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Just saying but Metallica vs. Megadeth arguments can end up in people dying. They are that brutal! :eek:

XxFrAsZeRxX
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM
This should answer the question.Watch it on YouTube for Widescreen 720p Quality.
I need this Blu-Ray. NOW!!

YouTube- Fight Fire with Fire - Metallica (HD)(Live)(Orgullo, Pasión Y Gloria DVD1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINSy09hKlg&feature=related)

YouTube- Dyers Eve - Metallica (HD)(Live)(Orgullo, Pasión Y Gloria DVD2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKYbEN9bNqw&feature=related)

dude, two best Metallica songs ever!!!!!

xVx PUNISHER
03-05-2010, 10:27 PM
dude, two best Metallica songs ever!!!!!

Every metallica song is the best metallica song ever :P

jamie-the-payne
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
They're both AWESOME! But I just prefer Megadeth at the moment like I preferred Metallica earlier (I say earlier but I mean before I heard of Megadeth :P)

I IVIuTanT I
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Megadeth are without a douby the greatest thrash metal band ever.

Tussell
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Megadeth are without a douby the greatest thrash metal band ever.
Man, and you're the one who likes Municipal Waste right? I thought we would get along... :(

Afro Ninja
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Man, and you're the one who likes Municipal Waste right? I thought we would get along... :(
Just because he has a different taste doesn't mean you guys can't be friends.

Tussell
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Oh, trust me... It does! :p

xVx PUNISHER
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Just noticed your sig, cool dude you play guitar :P

how is the bc rich with you? i heard that it only looks cool and that it's hard to maintain ....

slackydave
03-07-2010, 12:55 PM
My vote deffo goes to metallica, been listening to their songs since i was like 10.

Afro Ninja
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Just noticed your sig, cool dude you play guitar :P

how is the bc rich with you? i heard that it only looks cool and that it's hard to maintain ....
I have 5 guitars and I must say that B.C. Rich is a very good brand. I prefer Warlocks to Warbeasts though.

xVx PUNISHER
03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I have 5 guitars and I must say that B.C. Rich is a very good brand. I prefer Warlocks to Warbeasts though.

Cool stuff dude, the warlocks looks frigging beast!

I have an Ibanez, too bad that's about the only brand they sell here and am not looking into an Ibanez for an upgrade (they have the shit models here) unless they get some decent ones.

But, i plan on getting a new setup in a few months (new amps, effects and everything ..... time to upgrade my beginner kit), i want an ESP or a Jackson Kelly if possible. (both are well within my budget :P)

Car Ramrod
03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I like Megadeth more for a couple reasons

1. I think they made more metal masterpieces(Peace Sells, Rust, United Abominations, and not really metal but Countdown was great) than Metallica(...And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning)

2. Megadeth is a much better band live. I have seen both bands (I was actually at the Blood in the Water Live from San Diego show for Megadeth) and Megadeth really focuses on the music and just general kickassery. Metallica puts on a fancy light show and talks about how successful they are and don't play the music as good as they used to.

3. Metallica are really quite whiny about about everything (Napster to name an incident). They also have a giant sense of superiority about them that just makes me want to punch each of them in the face.

Theres probrably more but those are escaping me

Sorry for the essay, I have too much free time

xVx PUNISHER
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I like Megadeth more for a couple reasons

1. I think they made more metal masterpieces(Peace Sells, Rust, United Abominations, and not really metal but Countdown was great) than Metallica(...And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning)

2. Megadeth is a much better band live. I have seen both bands (I was actually at the Blood in the Water Live from San Diego show for Megadeth) and Megadeth really focuses on the music and just general kickassery. Metallica puts on a fancy light show and talks about how successful they are and don't play the music as good as they used to.

3. Metallica are really quite whiny about about everything (Napster to name an incident). They also have a giant sense of superiority about them that just makes me want to punch each of them in the face.

Theres probrably more but those are escaping me

Sorry for the essay, I have too much free time

Sorry to burst your bubble, but dave is a drama queen. He is one of my favorites but seriously, i used to hate him, but now he changed which is why he is one of my favorites now.

Who has more metal masterpieces? (that is purely opinion but, Master of puppets, One, Battery, Orion, For whom the bell tolls, Dyer's eve, seek and destroy, whiplash, hit the lights, lots of choices.) not so metal? Unforgiven I and II, Enter sandman, fade to black , nothing else matters.

This is all opinion so no point arguing over this point :P

Who didn't get upset over napster (it wasn't just metallica, even if they were they have every right to).

James just make a better feel to the set, when he talks "We are metallica, and we are a family because of the fans and without you we coulnd't have achieved anything" really makes you feel he appreciates the fans .... whereas dave goes "this ones hanger 18" and then just burst out.

kirk said, sometimes i do screwup, i agree with the angry fans :P

not to mention they all mentioned that if they were to stop being metallica they would just retire, they wouldn't look for another band (not sure about rob though)

Anyway, not flaming dude, just sayin XD

k1lls1gn
03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
metallica is legend man.

kabu62
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Metallica is the best

SengIV
03-07-2010, 11:16 PM
This isnt even a question.

METALLLICCCAAAAAA

XxFrAsZeRxX
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
This isnt even a question.

METALLLICCCAAAAAA
Hell yeah! WHIPLASH :rock fav album is justice tho :p

I IVIuTanT I
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Haha yeah that's me. I love Metallica but obviously only the first 4 albums, Megadeth have released alot more quality albums. So far, So good... So what! is in my opinion one of the best metal albums ever.

SpartanKiller19
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd say Metallica

Admiral Axe
03-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Doesn't really matter to me. But I do prefer Metallica, but in the 90's they were way better.

Poida
03-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I love both bands equally.
Both bands released quality new albums, Death Magnetic in 2008 was awesome as was Endgame last year.

Flyhishootstr8
03-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Didnt know who megadeath is but like metellica.

Burning Karma
03-28-2010, 05:00 AM
And Saiyu hahaha you should be fine but let me know how that works out
I'd like to let you know that I didn't get shanked. Nor were any remakes even made about my Metallica shirt. To be honest, I was kinda disappointed. :(

XxFrAsZeRxX
03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
I'd like to let you know that I didn't get shanked. Nor were any remakes even made about my Metallica shirt. To be honest, I was kinda disappointed. :(

Good to know you didn't get shanked haha :). But I too didn't get a comment about my shirts at any concerts :(. But I bet it was still an amazing concert :woop:.

Iconoclast
03-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Metallica's got some good songs, but I like Megadeth better.

Either way, Dave Mustaine's a douchehat anyways. Good for tunes though.

Burning Karma
03-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Good to know you didn't get shanked haha :). But I too didn't get a comment about my shirts at any concerts :(. But I bet it was still an amazing concert :woop:.
Here's the setlist, as best as I can recall:

"Skin o' My Teeth"
"In My Darkest Hour"
"She-Wolf"
The entire Rust in Peace album
"Head Crusher"
"Trust"
"Symphony of Destruction"
"Peace Sells"

What a show. I will say one thing, Mustaine doesn't really speak to the audience much, but he definitely gets into it. For most of the show, I was about five people back of Chris Broderick. Man, he definitely is talented. And he really gets into it. I locked eyes with him on more than one occassion.There's my mini-review I posted on another site. It was fucking amazing. Rust in Peace live is just down right awesome.

iiBlaz3ii
03-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Metallica FTW:Bounce:

Goat Punisher
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Metallica, all the way.:rock

Twisted Tony
03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
These days I'm more into Megadeth. Metallica's new stuff just isn't any good IMO. Death Magnetic has a few decent songs. Megadeth's new one excellent. I love old school Metallica and have seen them probably around 10 times. But these days Megadeth has my attention more.

METALHEAD CRAIG
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm a huge Megadeth fan own all there albums
i like the first 3 albums of Metallica
but overall Megadeth for the win

circus1776
05-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I love both a lot, but I think I prefer Megadeth more. Dave Mustaine FTW

Montyfang
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Imma go with the Dave on this one. He is a massive influence on me, and the General History of him and his band could bring you to tears. And besides, Megadeth Radio rocks. Metallica has it's good points, mainly in the Earlier years when they were shredding the masses to pieces but since then, they kinda died in a way. That's why I slide more over to Megadeth.

Blasphometh
05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Like for me, Megadeth is better. Maybe it's just mine opinion, but everyone listening to thrash metal will say that Megadeth is better. Why? Cuz they are more technical. Just listen to their first album " Killing is my business ". In 85' when you would first time hear that album you would think " wtf is that?! it's weird, but wait! it's fcking great! check those riffs, they kill! ". Before them, there wasn't been any band with such sick riffs. And don't tell me, that metallica is better, cuz they sold much more albums (someone before thrown with that kind of argument). But in the and, there are even much more better bands then them :) (metallica/megadeth (for me)). Sry for my english btw. I'm not from english speaking country. :P

GrieveNoMore
05-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Metallica. They got me into metal :) Although I do love Megadeth too, Rust In Peace is a masterpiece.

Ashes in Fall
05-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Both are mediocre. Move along.

Axe Argonian
05-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I prefer Metallica over Megadeth. I've never really liked Megadeth, and Dave Mustaine's voice is very irritating in my opinion. On the other hand, Metallica still sounds awesome today and saved metal in the 80s. However, I'll choose Motrhead over both anyday. :rock

Doominatorx6
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Oooh...

I'm a huge Metallica fan, so I'm siding with them unquestionably. There is no doubt Megadeth is solid though, a friend of mine (who ironically got me Metallica tickets at one point) got me into them. Their early stuff (Peace Sells comes to mind) is awesome but IMHO the later stuff is meh at best.

Then again, everything Metallica did inbetween the Black Album and Death Magnetic deserves to be in a dumpster.

EDIT - Mustardstain and Lars are equally tools. Very talented yes, but both of them are tools. Mainly Lars. Shoulda just shut up about when Napster came along big guy.

Ian-Stargate
05-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Metallica all the Way. Havent missed a gig since 2004. Pissed they arent comin to Dublin this year though

Pooley 86
05-22-2010, 05:01 AM
I voted Metalica, although i LOVE each band, the Metallica concerts are tons better than the Megadeath ones.
Also, what about Pantera, they are TONS underrated IMO

JoshYo 16
05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
I voted metallica since I always loved their older stuff (The black album..never listened to their newer stuff). And I've never listened to Megadeth, so my opinion is rather biased.

BedCommando
05-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Megadeth never said you can't enjoy their music because you don't have money...Metallica did. Fuck Metallica.

Burning Karma
05-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Megadeth never said you can't enjoy their music because you don't have money...Metallica did.
I would absolutely love to see this quote. I know about all the Napster shit, but I want to see this exact part of the entire debate, if you would be so kind.

DOOKH8R
05-24-2010, 05:55 AM
LiveMetallica.com has about twenty full concerts from 1982-2003 for FREE download.
You cant beat that. I have all of them on my ipod so, yet another vote for Metallica.

Burning Karma
05-24-2010, 05:57 AM
LiveMetallica.com has about twenty full concerts from '82-'93 for FREE download.
Up to '03, actually.

DOOKH8R
05-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Up to '03, actually.

Yes, it is. Total typing fail by me.

I was disappointed by the stance Lars took with regard to Napster. Although I agree with his position, it just seemed rough and was poor fan service. He should have just kept quiet and let management and his lawyers deal with it.

It is sad but true (see what I did there) but many people won't forgive them for that.

Not a problem for me though, because in my world, Metallica music stopped in 1991 and has remained perfect.

JoshYo 16
05-24-2010, 06:30 AM
I would absolutely love to see this quote. I know about all the Napster shit, but I want to see this exact part of the entire debate, if you would be so kind.

I would too. He never said anything like that from what I remember. He had a perfectly valid reason if you ask me.

I also agree with the 1991 statement. Although I wasn't even alive, I love their music from back then.

tigerstryke
05-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Metallica is overrated. I like both bands, megadeth was better live, but in my life i've seen more metallice fanboys who dont even know anything other than shit from the black album. I've met so many more true hardcore Megadeth fans, and it just tells me it's cool to like metallica, so that makes them less cool.

JoshYo 16
05-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Metallica is overrated. I like both bands, megadeth was better live, but in my life i've seen more metallice fanboys who dont even know anything other than shit from the black album. I've met so many more true hardcore Megadeth fans, and it just tells me it's cool to like metallica, so that makes them less cool.

Is this fact or opinion? Because I'm pretty sure you haven't an ounce of proof. It is personal opinion. If you are going to run around the forums bashing peoples opinions maybe you should just log out and forget where the log in button is located.

I forgot though, with people like you, your opinion is all that matters. You can't really change the fact that Metallica was great back then, and even if they suck now, us Metallica junkies can always hope for a great comeback.

BedCommando
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
If you know the Napster incident, that's exactly what I'm referring to. Why else would you complain about some people getting your music for free? Because you're a greedy little shit who isn't happy with just having people enjoying your music, you want their money, even if they don't have it.
It's not like Metallica were poor during the Napster phase.
What they pulled is completely unforgivable. It's a HUGE insult to the industry, and especially towards the "Brotherhood of Metal".

JoshYo 16
05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
If you know the Napster incident, that's exactly what I'm referring to. Why else would you complain about some people getting your music for free? Because you're a greedy little shit who isn't happy with just having people enjoying your music, you want their money, even if they don't have it.
What they pulled is completely unforgivable. It's a HUGE insult to the industry, and especially towards the "Brotherhood of Metal".

Alright so I'm gonna hire you and not pay you. You willing? No I didn't think so. When it's all someone does as a job, the money matters. With all of the downloading free, yet illegal music these days, cds hardly even sell. The bullmoose (music/dvd/vg store) here is planning to stop selling cds because the sales have dropped so dramatically in the past 10 years.

BedCommando
05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Alright so I'm gonna hire you and not pay you. You willing? No I didn't think so. When it's all someone does as a job, the money matters. With all of the downloading free, yet illegal music these days, cds hardly even sell. The bullmoose (music/dvd/vg store) here is planning to stop selling cds because the sales have dropped so dramatically in the past 10 years.
You must have missed the part about them not being poor, they have money to throw around. Plus it's not like they make their huge cash on album sales, the real money comes from 2 things. Merchandise and concerts, and the vast majority pay for those things. Considering how huge Metallica has always been, it's not like they have problems selling out venues, or selling T-shirts, or patches, etc.
Plus money should never be a motivation to create and play music, it should just come along as a privilege when you get fans. By acting out against your fans with no money, because they can't afford to buy your albums, it shows where your heart is - In the money, and not in the spirit of your music (And in this case, the Brotherhood of Metal).

JoshYo 16
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
You must have missed the part about them not being poor, they have money to throw around. Plus it's not like they make their huge cash on album sales, the real money comes from 2 things. Merchandise and concerts, and the vast majority pay for those things. Considering how huge Metallica has always been, it's not like they have problems selling out venues, or selling T-shirts, or patches, etc.
Plus money should never be a motivation to create and play music, it should just come along as a privilege when you get fans. By acting out against your fans with no money, because they can't afford to buy your albums, it shows where your heart is - In the money, and not in the spirit of your music (And in this case, the Brotherhood of Metal).

Bill Gates is rich, why don't you go to MS and ask for a free xbox. You'll get laughed at.

You really aren't making any sense. There are tons of people, including singers, that are rich and don't give their stuff away for free. Stop bitching and come up with the cash if you really want to hear music that you supposedly "hate."

Also with some CDs selling over 30 million copies back in the day, I beg to differ. You never see them numbers anymore. That would be approximately $600 million made from that one album on release with the prices of a new CD back then.

Edit: Just wanted to add. When you work hard to achieve something, like becoming a famous band, you deserve cash for what you do. No matter how rich you are.

poppaduff
05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I think this thread is on every forum out their on the net.
I cant beleive after liking Metallica for over20 years.
I just for the 1st time put a vote to Megadeth
Soley on 2 albums from both
Death Magnetic by Metallica and End Game by Megadeth

Megadeths new one still sounds like Megadeth
Should also note to that Lars Ulrich has been pissing me off these past 10 years with his stupid little Hanah Montana drum kit

BedCommando
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Bill Gates is rich, why don't you go to MS and ask for a free xbox. You'll get laughed at.

You really aren't making any sense. There are tons of people, including singers, that are rich and don't give their stuff away for free. Stop bitching and come up with the cash if you really want to hear music that you supposedly "hate."

Also with some CDs selling over 30 million copies back in the day, I beg to differ. You never see them numbers anymore. That would be approximately $600 million made from that one album on release with the prices of a new CD back then.

Edit: Just wanted to add. When you work hard to achieve something, like becoming a famous band, you deserve cash for what you do. No matter how rich you are.
I don't remember Bill Gates bitching about piracy though. Infact Bill Gates is known to gives millions to charities all over the world. He's also in a different industry that works much different than the music industry. I wish more musicians were like Trent Razor, where if you told him "Hey, I dig your music, but I don't make enough cash to support myself and buy your music",he'll give you some of his music. Mandy Lion does the same, and so do many small, local bands.
If small bands can afford giving away their music, then so can the big boys.
Think of it like this, if you give someone your music, and they like it,chances are they'll want to see the band live, wear their merchandise to show off their support and buy future albums. Metallica forgot their roots just because they're huge.
When you lose focus of your roots (Especially within the Metal genre), you lose the true fans that put you where you are today. That is what I'd call a backstab.

Burning Karma
05-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Not a problem for me though, because in my world, Metallica music stopped in 1991 and has remained perfect.
This saddens me. :(

Here we go....alright, here's the deal. If I made something and have it copywritten, trademarked, pattened, etc., no matter how rich I was, I wouldn't be too happy with people stealing it. They (read: Lars) didn't go about it in a non-dickish way, but hey, people were still wrapping their minds around the idea of "free" music. I don't necessairly agree with everything he/they did against Napster, but I can certainly understand where they're coming from. To quote Mr. Ulrich:

We take our craft -- whether it be the music, the lyrics, or the photos and artwork -- very seriously, as do most artists. It is therefore sickening to know that our art is being traded like a commodity rather than the art that it is. From a business standpoint, this is about piracy -- a/k/a taking something that doesn't belong to you; and that is morally and legally wrong. The trading of such information -- whether it's music, videos, photos, or whatever - is, in effect, trafficking in stolen goods.Sidenote: I did sorta find your quote: "ULRICH: If you'd stop being a Metallica fan because I won't give you my music for free, then fuck you. I don't want you to be a Metallica fan." (Source: http://www.playboy.com/articles/metallica-interview/index.html?page=2).

Essentially, if you don't like Metallica enough to actually pay for the music, then yeah, fuck you. But I'm sure he didn't mean if you still pay for concert tickets, t-shirts, etc.
Their music still is available for free. There's this other thing called the radio that plays music for, get this, free! ZOMG! And it's been around for a long ass time. Also, nowadays, you can always look something up on YouTube.

BedCommando
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
This saddens me. :(

Here we go....alright, here's the deal. If I made something and have it copywritten, trademarked, pattened, etc., no matter how rich I was, I wouldn't be too happy with people stealing it. They (read: Lars) didn't go about it in a non-dickish way, but hey, people were still wrapping their minds around the idea of "free" music. I don't necessairly agree with everything he/they did against Napster, but I can certainly understand where they're coming from. To quote Mr. Ulrich:

Sidenote: I did sorta find your quote: "ULRICH: If you'd stop being a Metallica fan because I won't give you my music for free, then fuck you. I don't want you to be a Metallica fan." (Source: http://www.playboy.com/articles/metallica-interview/index.html?page=2).

Essentially, if you don't like Metallica enough to actually pay for the music, then yeah, fuck you. But I'm sure he didn't mean if you still pay for concert tickets, t-shirts, etc.
Their music still is available for free. There's this other thing called the radio that plays music for, get this, free! ZOMG! And it's been around for a long ass time. Also, nowadays, you can always look something up on YouTube.
Like I said, not everyone can afford buying music they enjoy, but why should that stop them? It's not a matter of "Not liking them enough to pay for music", it's a matter of "I seriously cannot afford to spend money on such luxuries, but I still like the bands music", and it's not like they're poor and pirating has driven the band to start auctioning off their million dollar belongings.
Plus most people nowadays hear about bands from pirating. They go "What's this band? I'll download a few songs", which can turn them into a fan, and then they will want to meet and support the band using their money (If they can).
Also, it's hard to pick up Youtube on MP3players, and it eats up alot of bandwidth if you would use it as your music source, rather then downloading it once.
Money should never - EVER - come between the artists and the fans. It's there to appreciate and connect with, not to make a profit off it.

JoshYo 16
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Like I said, not everyone can afford buying music they enjoy, but why should that stop them? It's not a matter of "Not liking them enough to pay for music", it's a matter of "I seriously cannot afford to spend money on such luxuries, but I still like the bands music", and it's not like they're poor and pirating has driven the band to start auctioning off their million dollar belongings.
Plus most people nowadays hear about bands from pirating. They go "What's this band? I'll download a few songs", which can turn them into a fan, and then they will want to meet and support the band using their money (If they can).
Also, it's hard to pick up Youtube on MP3players, and it eats up alot of bandwidth if you would use it as your music source, rather then downloading it once.
Money should never - EVER - come between the artists and the fans. It's there to appreciate and connect with, not to make a profit off it.

Alright here we go. I'm 16. My dad isn't in the picture, my mom is on social security disability. Between the two of us we get about $2,200 a month. I couldn't afford to go to a concert if I wanted to. I have enough cash each month to buy some music if I want to. However I don't, I use youtube as my source of music. Now, considering myself rather poor compared to some people in the US. There are many of us who are too poor to make it to a concert, so concerts are also making less cash these days. This goes for memorabilia as well.

Anyway back to my point. Me and my mom aren't exactly "rich." I still don't bitch if a music artist refuses to give us their music for free. I've learned to deal with the fact that we don't have much money. Luxuries aren't a necessity. So really, if you can't afford to buy their stuff, you shouldn't bitch about it. It's your fault and not anyone else. Although it would be nice for a music artist to say "here just have the music I've been working on for decades", it's something they have worked hard on and deserve to receive money for it.

Truth is, everything has seen lower sales rates in the past 10 years. Metallica isn't the only band to have done it, and there will be many more in the upcoming years if our economy doesn't get itself out of the shithole it's in right now.

BedCommando
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Alright here we go. I'm 16. My dad isn't in the picture, my mom is on social security disability. Between the two of us we get about $2,200 a month. I couldn't afford to go to a concert if I wanted to. I have enough cash each month to buy some music if I want to. However I don't, I use youtube as my source of music. Now, considering myself rather poor compared to some people in the US. There are many of us who are too poor to make it to a concert, so concerts are also making less cash these days. This goes for memorabilia as well.

Anyway back to my point. Me and my mom aren't exactly "rich." I still don't bitch if a music artist refuses to give us their music for free. I've learned to deal with the fact that we don't have much money. Luxuries aren't a necessity. So really, if you can't afford to buy their stuff, you shouldn't bitch about it. It's your fault and not anyone else. Although it would be nice for a music artist to say "here just have the music I've been working on for decades", it's something they have worked hard on and deserve to receive money for it.

Truth is, everything has seen lower sales rates in the past 10 years. Metallica isn't the only band to have done it, and there will be many more in the upcoming years if our economy doesn't get itself out of the shithole it's in right now.
Again, I bring this up.
While it's always nice to get paid for your art, it should not be a motivation to do it. Music has been with us since before currency, before trade, before speech itself. Demanding that people buy your music in order to appreciate it? That's uptight bullshit, it really is. If people like your music, there will always be people willing to support it, and especially for a band as big as Metallica, so money's not even an issue! They demand money from people a hell of alot more poor than them, why? Because they're greedy, that's why.
Metal is supposed to be about bonding together, as a brotherhood. How are we suppose to do that if the very band we praise wants to split us into people who are worthy, and those who are not simply because of currency?
Fuck that, fuck Lars, and fuck Metallica.

McEng78
05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Metallica are by far my favorite band. They had a few rough years with Load, Reload and St. Anger but even Load and Reload had a few really good songs on them. St. Anger was just a pile of crap. Death Magnetic was amazing and a return to form for the greatest metal band of all time.

Megadeth are a solid band and have a lot of great songs but their best songs are when the try to sound like Metallica :p

McE

Andrewsc1
05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
i would have to go with metallica by far. not a big megadeth fan.

XxFrAsZeRxX
05-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Metallica are by far my favorite band. They had a few rough years with Load, Reload and St. Anger but even Load and Reload had a few really good songs on them. St. Anger was just a pile of crap. Death Magnetic was amazing and a return to form for the greatest metal band of all time.

Megadeth are a solid band and have a lot of great songs but their best songs are when the try to sound like Metallica :p

McE

I totally agree with you except i love St. Anger :p. But I also highly agree that Megadeth sounds best when they song more like Metallica :p.

thetap
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Metallica ftw.

Afro Ninja
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM

McE
Megadeth sounds nothing like Metallica!

Lainders
06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
CD/Mp3 - Both
Live - Metallica

B1GM13
06-02-2010, 11:24 AM
this should clear things up

http://img.moronail.net/img/9/8/5398.jpg (http://moronail.net/img/5398_gimme-what-james?)

Bearded Bugs
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Metallica for me.

Megadeth are good, but live they suck compared to Metallica! I've never liked Mustaine's voice, and I prefer Hetfield's songwriting.

BenAlexQ
06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I like them both but Metallica sucks live cause of Lars

XxFrAsZeRxX
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I like them both but Metallica sucks live cause of Lars

Have you been to a concert of there's? It may not be the greatest on youtube, but when your there, it still kicks ass because you don't really listen for lars messing up, your too busy screaming your head off haha :):p

vlademonkey
06-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I've seen both in concert, and they are both great bands!

ClaireFarron
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Metallica of course they are so epic to me

Bearded Bugs
06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I like them both but Metallica sucks live cause of Lars Lars isn't too great live, but Megadeth are awful live.

Burning Karma
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Lars isn't too great live, but Megadeth are awful live.
Lars isn't too great. Period. But I thought Megadeth was pretty enjoyable live.

Bearded Bugs
06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Lars isn't too great. Period. But I thought Megadeth was pretty enjoyable live. I was hoping that they'd be good, as I enjoy their music somewhat, but Mustaine's voice was more out of tune than normal, and it just all sounded messy and lacking in energy. I guess it could've just been a bad day with a bad mix though.

Kaifory
06-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Neither although Metallica's better... (that post doesn't make sense).

Fullmetalx07
06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Mettallica, I really don't like Megadeth, but if Iron Maiden was a choice in the poll then I would have to go with them

KeepEmRolling
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Neither...i wouldn't walk across the street to see either of them in concert.

Cav Clayton
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
My vote goes to Megadeth. They have the better overall style.
I like maybe 1, 2 Metallica songs? Hetfield's vocals ruin it for me.

Bearded Bugs
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Hetfield's vocals ruin it for me. ... and girly Mustaine's voice doesn't? :confused:

Burning Karma
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
... and girly Mustaine's voice doesn't? :confused:
Ha, I was thinking the same. Not so much girly as whiny/overdone growly. But I've heard similar things about James' voice.

ohahraj1
06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I recently discovered Metallica and love them

Metallix316
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Metallica the best thing in the world to me, but.. where would Metallica be without Dave's help? it can go both ways.

mileko101
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
i like both megadeth slightly more but none compare to ozzy or judas priest

WhIpLaSh 014
06-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Metallica is way better than Megadeth. The lead singer of Megadeth has a pusy voice, but the guitar is really good.

Metapocalips
06-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Megadeth because I burnt out on metallica a long time ago.

Cav Clayton
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
... and girly Mustaine's voice doesn't? :confused:
Not really, because I'm not looking for a vocalist who has to grunt and yell to remind everyone how manly he is.

Bearded Bugs
06-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Not really, because I'm not looking for a vocalist who has to grunt and yell to remind everyone how manly he is. Fair enough. I'd just rather have a male-sounding singer with thrash metal than a girly-sounding one.

veece16
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I prefer Megadeth over Metallica. I get sick of hearing how good Metallica is when all their songs sound the same to me.

GothicMark
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
:rock

1990 = Metallica
2010 = Megadeth

The mighty 'tallica have had their day now, but saw Megadeth live recently - they stll rock!!!

Burning Karma
06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
The mighty 'tallica have had their day now, but saw Megadeth live recently - they stll rock!!!
If you've not seen Metallica recently, they still do as well.

Don Dunckel
06-14-2010, 09:39 PM
I like them both, but unlike Metallica, Megadeth still make very good abums. Has anyone listened to the current Heathen album yet? Awesome piece of music!

David x360a
06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Easily Metallica. I kinda grew up with them, while Megadeth has been practically non-existent. Every time I see Dave Mustaine, he's only whining about getting kicked from Metallica - not much else going on in his head I think, lol. No, seriously, he's obviously a great musician but I never really got into the music. Metallica FTW

TakahashiDemon
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I like both and I also like Iron Maiden.

B1GM13
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
i can quite proudley say that i saw Megadeth on Saturday at download festival....

now thats not what im proud of....

im proud that i managed to fall asleep in the arena while they were playing. yes i was led down on the grass with a Jaegermister scarf over my eyes as it was so damn bright as it was a warm day... but i fell asleep just after their 2nd song, and woke up while the next band were sound checking.

i was impressed.

xtreme2252
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Megadeth is much better. I mean c'mon, Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger were among some of the worst "metal" albums of all time.

xtreme2252
06-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Metallica is way better than Megadeth. The lead singer of Megadeth has a pusy voice, but the guitar is really good.

WTF? The singer IS the guitarist.

Burning Karma
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Megadeth is much better. I mean c'mon, Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger were among some of the worst "metal" albums of all time.
I'll give you that about St. Anger. The other two? Nope.

WTF? The singer IS the guitarist.
Aye, but he doesn't like Mustaine's voice. ;)

Coadster1
06-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I prefer Metallica over Megadeth anyday......

SP1R1TWALK3R
06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Megadeth, I can't stand Metallica.

mcgive
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Both are fantastic but Metallica has a much bigger fanbase.

NovusRedemptor
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Considering that there are a bunch of different ways to compare and contrast both groups, I think Megadeth wins in the end for me. But Metallica is definitely not that far behind.

Blah 2k
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Both. Great music from both bands, and they both get pretty damn loud when i'm goin down the road and I have my windows rolled down, I have to drown out that god-awful excuse for music known as hip-hop somehow! Damn teeny bopper shit is so annoying.

NovusRedemptor
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Both. Great music from both bands, and they both get pretty damn loud when i'm goin down the road and I have my windows rolled down, I have to drown out that god-awful excuse for music known as hip-hop somehow! Damn teeny bopper shit is so annoying.

Oh, I know that feeling. When I used to drive to my campus for classes, I'd always be blasting something loud and obnoxious (a la Vulgar Display of Power). It is very rare that I see a car drive by blasting something heavy (damned suburbs) so I feel I have to make up for that.

tangog00se
07-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Both are very good, but I'd have to go with Metallica over Megadeth.

circus1776
07-03-2010, 03:29 AM

I second this. I'll admit there were at least a few on Load I didn't mind, but St Anger...blech. I do love Metallica's other stuff though. Just like Megadeth better. WOO MUSTAINE.

OPTIMlS PRIME
07-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Metallica 4 Life.

XxFrAsZeRxX
07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh, I know that feeling. When I used to drive to my campus for classes, I'd always be blasting something loud and obnoxious (a la Vulgar Display of Power). It is very rare that I see a car drive by blasting something heavy (damned suburbs) so I feel I have to make up for that.

haha yeah I do the exact some thing. And i heard someone blasting music that was literally only the evil thing known as Auto-tunning. It was over done and all you could hear was the over auto-tunned singer so i blasted Dyers Eve by Metallica even louder, to piss him off. It worked :cool::rock