PDA

View Full Version : New Forums design?

Lonsta DaMonsta
03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm really glad the donations are coming through and such, but I'm not for sure if I like these forums better than the last one. I find it harder to navigate around and stuff. I also liked the feature on the old one that let you read new replies to topics that you've posted under. It may be here but I can't seem to find it.

What does everyone else think of the new forums? Am I the only one feeling this? (it's ok if I am... ;) )

KMB 316
03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
This is the basic vbulletin skin, the free skins for vbulletin basically let me put it in nice words "Suck", im sure routine is working on purchasing a skin which makes it more user friendly, i must say this skin is harder to navigate, i showed routine a very nice vbulletin 360 skin that only cost 24.99 i do not know if he is deciding on purchasing but i am sure that the skin will change by next week.

g4m3r7ag
03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
theres a little down arrow next to the topic name, that shows new posts

cotteneyekeith
03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I Like The New Forum Looks Good Feels Good..bug Up For The User That Put$100 Into This

higgadonis
03-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Prefer the old style me self....

cotteneyekeith
03-04-2006, 05:54 PM
every 1 to there own

nestler16
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm really glad the donations are coming through and such, but I'm not for sure if I like these forums better than the last one. I find it harder to navigate around and stuff. I also liked the feature on the old one that let you read new replies to topics that you've posted under. It may be here but I can't seem to find it.

What does everyone else think of the new forums? Am I the only one feeling this? (it's ok if I am... ;) )

lonsta if you post in a thread you will automatically subscribe to it so to see if there are any new posts in it you just go to quick links, subscribed threads and its right there

PaleGringo
03-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Just some things I'm noticing:

Still looks like you can use the bracketed tags, but without the toolbar above the posts, most people wouldn't be able to use bold, italics, underlining and the like. In fact, even though I know how to use them, I'm not very motivated to typing all the tags myself.

Also, I was wondering where the "Show Responses to my posts" link has gone off to.

Not too worred about the skin, and am galad to see that we have admins that are committed to increasing the quality of the site. That's worth a minor inconvenience, IMO.

KillarPenguin
03-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I love vBulletin. I didn't really enjoy the other forums because I wasn't use to the style. But I like these ones.

RoutineX
03-04-2006, 07:35 PM
The forum has been up about 12 hours so we're still adding small tweaks to make it as user friendly as possible. We will also change the forum layout, this is just the one that come with the install :)

Thank you for all your comments on the topic, and letting us know what we can do to make it better.

Now with the new boards we also can make a lot of changes that you have wanted.

KMB 316
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
ATM im trying to find something for this forum.

scoobydiesel
03-04-2006, 10:01 PM
the 360 skin is cool and all but its going to be used way to much, like someone was saying else wear, how hard is it to make a custmized one?

I do agree its kinda hard doing this board now, i havent used VB's in along time

nestler16
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
i thought at first it sucked but the more you use it the more you like it.. give it time

RoutineX
03-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, and one of the things that we can do with the boards is adding i.eg awards for the users in the tournaments. little "trophies" below the posts that i.eg say "This user has won a Full Auto Tournament" and has points etc.
A lot of small fancy things that makes it much cooler :D

And not to talk about server the server load that will decrease now, and than we can stay longer on a shared server until we have to more to a dedicated one.

I've noticed the thing PaleGringo mentioned regarding bold, italics and underline. I can see it now when I post, but sometimes its not there. But have no fear. Thats not something that will always be like this. We'll figure it out :D

k_dog
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
It's all like a new cell phone or a new Game controller, It just takes some getting used to.

The only thing that annoys me is A) Non Customizable avatars, and B) My Subscribed topics previous we're not carried over...

-Brian

killerjt
03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Whith anaything new, it takes time to get use to. Give it some time and RoutineX with fix all of the problems.

graf1k
03-05-2006, 03:47 PM
It's all like a new cell phone or a new Game controller, It just takes some getting used to.

The only thing that annoys me is A) Non Customizable avatars, and B) My Subscribed topics previous we're not carried over...

-Brian

Yeah, I guess that would be my one minor complaint too. Custom avatars shouldn't be that difficult to impliment and if you restrict the file size, it shouldn't tax your bandwidth or server space too much.

k_dog
03-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I guess that would be my one minor complaint too. Custom avatars shouldn't be that difficult to impliment and if you restrict the file size, it shouldn't tax your bandwidth or server space too much.

100x100 is usualy a good Standard

g4m3r7ag
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
i think its on 80x80 isnt it, and you can use custom avatars cant you? you could yesterday

k_dog
03-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Odd, I was trying to figure out how. Unless you're refering to th eprofile pic which is set to 100x100

-Brian

g4m3r7ag
03-05-2006, 05:12 PM
go to user cp, then edit avatar, then scroll down and theres a box titled custom avatar, it can be up to 80x80, i think thats what your talking about

k_dog
03-05-2006, 05:14 PM
go to user cp, then edit avatar, then scroll down and theres a box titled custom avatar, it can be up to 80x80, i think thats what your talking about

All I have is "Current Avatar" and "Pre-Defined Misc."

g4m3r7ag
03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
must be somethin admins/mods get, i hate how that shows up cause i never know if everyone has it or just the mods/admins

k_dog
03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
*crys*...

But I want a custom avatar...lol

Tron
03-05-2006, 08:11 PM
in time, this will all be an after thought...

RoutineX
03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Added the possibility to use custom avatars. :D
Don't use offensive/inappropriate ones though. :)

Webb
03-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Nice one Routine :D

I wasn't too keen on the new layout, but now I'm used to it and its alot better :) I just don't like change, lol

Webb
03-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Just curious, trying to link to a .gif but it keeps saying remote file too big, whats the maximum file size?

graf1k
03-05-2006, 09:42 PM
It says 19KB.

Huzzah for RoutineX btw

RoutineX
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Hehe =) Another thing that I've noticed is that the "read post" isnt showing up correctly. Although you have read the newest topics, it still shows on the main forums that there are unread topics.

I've notified the vBulletin support about it and guess I'll get a response about the matter soon. :)

k_dog
03-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Yay, for Routine! Custom Avatars!!!

graf1k
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Any chance of custom titles while we're customizing stuff?

RoutineX
03-05-2006, 10:34 PM
We were thinking of using the titles for some other purpose <insert secret here>, but if we don't, we'll open it in a couple of days :)

graf1k
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Sexcellent

cotteneyekeith
03-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Just some things I'm noticing:

Still looks like you can use the bracketed tags, but without the toolbar above the posts, most people wouldn't be able to use bold, italics, underlining and the like. In fact, even though I know how to use them, I'm not very motivated to typing all the tags myself.

Also, I was wondering where the "Show Responses to my posts" link has gone off to.

Not too worred about the skin, and am galad to see that we have admins that are committed to increasing the quality of the site. That's worth a minor inconvenience, IMO.
IF you write your post using Microsoft office word you can change the underline color bold text size and font with out using the commands in the post just a tip No need for tags hope it helps

JunK1e
03-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Love The Buddy List!!!!

thieflordgamer
03-06-2006, 01:37 AM
i have 2 say that the only disadvantage to this format is navigation.

and we need a new replies to your post link and a way to say "mark all messages as read".

g4m3r7ag
03-06-2006, 03:15 AM
there is a way to mark stuff as read, in the bar at the top one of the things is quick links, click on that, then click on mark forums as read, took me a while to figure it out

thieflordgamer
03-06-2006, 03:40 AM
and is there a way to see the "more stats" option that we had at the bottom of the last forums page? i liked checkin those out occasionally.

and is there a way to look at your own stats somewhere in your profile? i liked lookin at those 2.

g4m3r7ag
03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
i dont see a way for either, i liked it to, but i think were gonna have a lot better site with vbulletin

Lonsta DaMonsta
03-07-2006, 05:34 AM
This is a dumb question, but I seriously can't find where to change my timezone for the boards anywhere... I've looked all over my CP.

Would appreciate any help on this... thx :)

RoutineX
03-07-2006, 06:27 AM
User CP -> Options -> Date & Time Options :)

Lonsta DaMonsta
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
LOL, ok I'm PRETTY for sure that wasn't there when I just logged in on the new forums (which was pretty shortly right after we got the new forums). But ok, thanks :p

SpideR NY
03-10-2006, 02:39 AM
What about "New replys to my posts" I really miss that feature

Lonsta DaMonsta
03-10-2006, 03:00 AM
It's actually still here--- if you go under Quick Links, it's called "Subscribed Threads", which is the same thing :)

TheIcemanCometh
03-11-2006, 01:16 AM
I think we need to get the new skins done as quickly as possible. The "mismatch" between the forums and the main site needs to be taken care of. I don't know vBulletin, so I don't know what it takes, but we need to get this done. Also, the width of the forums needs to match the width of the main page banner.

While I like the functionality of the new forums, the old ones looked more like they "belonged" here. With the color scheme it currently has (and I understand it's the default), it looks like it was put in as an afterthought.

We're losing ground to the "other" site as far as I'm concerned. I still think we kick butt, but we need to keep on them! :D

Just my $0.02 worth.

Helacool360
03-11-2006, 01:34 AM
I think we need to get the new skins done as quickly as possible. The "mismatch" between the forums and the main site needs to be taken care of. I don't know vBulletin, so I don't know what it takes, but we need to get this done. Also, the width of the forums needs to match the width of the main page banner.

While I like the functionality of the new forums, the old ones looked more like they "belonged" here. With the color scheme it currently has (and I understand it's the default), it looks like it was put in as an afterthought.

We're losing ground to the "other" site as far as I'm concerned. I still think we kick butt, but we need to keep on them! :D

Just my $0.02 worth.

....i agree:)

RoutineX
03-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Check the new template "Xbox-Green". Is it any better, or?

Regarding the "the width of the forums needs to match the width of the main page banner." Changed some settings today and this is the closest I get, I'm afraid. It's 100% right here in Opera, but some pixels off in IE.

TheIcemanCometh
03-11-2006, 04:34 PM
That's a little better. Still a bit "strong" IMHO. Here's what I'm seeing as far as the width/layout - they're all different -and WAY too narrow:

Opera 8.0.2:
http://www.cimba.com/testing/opera802.png

IE 7 Beta 2:
http://www.cimba.com/testing/ie7b2.png

Firefox 1.5.0.1:
http://www.cimba.com/testing/firefox1501.png

RoutineX
03-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, currently working on it, so its constantly changing. But haven't changed the width in a while.

Hmm, wonder whats wrong with the logo. Here its the same width as the rest of the forums.

TheIcemanCometh
03-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Now it looks better in Firefox ... :)

Is there any way to change the white border around the forums part of the page to match the rest of the background - that pale greenish color?

Also, since this is an Xbox-related site, it might be a good idea to have that template as the default rather than the blue.

RoutineX
03-11-2006, 04:44 PM
hmm, like this? Doesn't it look like the something disappeared?

TheIcemanCometh
03-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, you're right. Maybe something in between the green and the white?

Or maybe making all of the backgrounds white - page and forums?

(I'm only trying to help. Really. :( )