PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? Action Over Horror?

Jumnious
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Dead Space was epic and absolutely crazy scary had-to-play-with-lights-on-(or off) awesome.

:mad:

But now the developers are turning to action and moving away from horror? The horror is what made Dead Space what it is for its fans. Why are game developers messing with something that worked to appease the Halo-fanboys so they can shoot everything up?

I, for one, am hoping that todays announcement (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4297-Dead-Space-2-To-Focus-On-Action-Over-Horror.html)was just a fluke.

Reggiez
02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I was already slightly worried when they mentioned that they wanted to add multiplayer to this game. That might still work out ok but action over horror?

What happened?

There are huge amounts of great action games out there already but there is only one Dead Space and it worked perfectly fine as it was (in my opinion). If I want a run and gun game I will patiently wait for Gears 3 or something similar. I really hope that this new direction will not ruin the game play that made the first one a truly great game. If it does I think a lot of the old fans will shy away from this. It might still turn a huge profit though as I feel that they will also get vast amounts of more classic action fans. It is just a shame for the fans of the first game. :(

Havoc1310
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Wow, you're butthurt and pissed because of a video game? Really? Get a life dude.

Dead Space was scary for the first 3 chapters, after that it's instant-desensitization and it was all "LOL STASIS STOMP." It comes out in a YEAR, a whole year. So how about you remove that giant wad of panties from inside your ass and get off your high horse about your supreme knowledge and know-how about video games. Cause, the way I see it, you haven't made shit, so you can't criticize shit.

Volzagia
02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Id prefer it to be more horror-based like the original but im sure it will still be a good game..

VESPER
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm cool with it turning into an action game. Those creepy NPCs coming around the corner wont startle me as much as they did in the first one. I know what they look like and how they pop out.

Bring me more laser cutters, customizing, and an interesting MP. I'll be good with that!

DiamondD
02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Wow I really thought that "get a life" shit would've been worn out by now. Cause the way I see it, you don't know him, so you can't criticize him.

As far as the game goes, it looks like they're taking after Capcom in terms of them leaning towards action more than horror like they did in Resident Evil 5.

Iv AJay vI
02-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Wow, you're butthurt and pissed because of a video game? Really? Get a life dude.

Opinions of games matter here, if you couldn't already tell. If you're going to use the 'get a life' card, you're on the wrong site.

On topic: I was also surprised by the post on the main page. I was already worried this game won't live up to its full potential because of the addition of multiplayer [same with Bioshock 2], and now that they are dumbing down the horror factor, it may not be as good as the first. Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong.

inb4havoc with douche flaming [again].

Jumnious
02-07-2010, 04:04 AM

Dead Space was scary for the first 3 chapters, after that it's instant-desensitization and it was all "LOL STASIS STOMP." It comes out in a YEAR, a whole year. So how about you remove that giant wad of panties from inside your ass and get off your high horse about your supreme knowledge and know-how about video games. Cause, the way I see it, you haven't made shit, so you can't criticize shit.

Hilarious. I'll ignore the dense, ignorant troll...

I'm thinking the Multiplayer could be somewhat fun; especially with the unique weapons in Dead Space. Even better if they keep the grit and blood from Dead Space and have that in Multiplayer.

As for the story... I hope they bring the scares! It was mainly the environment and noises that brought the creepy-feel. I'd just hate to be distracted by the action to pull me away from the awe of the design and such.

Extra Saucy
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
This just flat out sucks. After playing Bioshock 2, I can already see how the trend will follow with Dead Space 2. Again, this game has no business including multiplayer. Does anybody play multiplayer on Bioshock 2 that isn't going for achievments? I don't know a single person that will play beyond them. Unless it's GOW, Halo, or COD, there is just no place for this. I understand that new games have to try and compete, but they need completionists/achievements to do that.

The whole action over survival just sounds terrible. This game is just shadowing Bioshock 2 with a different story & environment. I loved Dead Space for having to get through situations without ammo, crazy ambushes, things coming at your feet...

I read in GI about the Developers saying that they received too many complaints about people not being able to play for more than 30 min, or they were too scared to play at all. What a bunch of pansies!

So the people who disliked the first one get to influence how the 2nd one is made. Terrible. I'm sure it will be a good game, have good moments, but the fact they are downgrading the fear factor is absurd.

Seraphim Lloyd
02-22-2010, 10:29 PM
The game was already a perfect balance so why would the break that for extra action.

Phenoviral
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
So long as it still does include the fear aspect of it.. It's not like it's not going to be a scary game, or anything.

Takamura Bear
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I'd rather they trend more towards horror than action; that's what made Dead Space such an incredible experience in the first place. A blend of action and horror is fine by me, but it should never turn away from it's roots.

It's quite annoying that developers are constantly trying to appeal to the more "casual gamer" by introducing mp to a genre where it doesn't belong.

Take Resi 5, for example. Good game but it was like Capcom tried to appeal to the Gears fans by making it too action-oriented instead of sticking to the series' horror theme.

Purge
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm off to slit my wrists.. bye guys!

Phenoviral
03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
This wont b terrible, so long as there still is plenty of horror.

Let's just hope that they pumped it full of action over the previous level of horror in the last game, but also didn't remove any horror.

Does nobody else love the actual gameplay from Dead Space 1?
I'm about to play through it yet again, even though I've no more achievements to unlock in it any more, just because I enjoyed how the game played.

A Cannibal Taco
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm probably a bit late on this, but from what I heard, they're toning down the constant horror, not so it's less scary, but so it's suspenseful. Rather than KNOWING that something will jump out from around that next corner, you have areas where you go a bit without anything, so you calm down, then out of nowhere comes an attack. The constant attacks made it less scary than it could have been for me. You need some of both, otherwise you just get used to the things popping out around corners the entire game.

Dustinator
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Dang, I saw a video last week that had a 20-30 second clip of Dead Space 2 which shows more of the "action" theme they're going for. If I remember to find it tonight, I'll update my post.....I thought the 20 seconds of gameplay was AWESOME though :)

Does nobody else love the actual gameplay from Dead Space 1?
I'm about to play through it yet again, even though I've no more achievements to unlock in it any more, just because I enjoyed how the game played.

I LOVED practically everything about Dead Space. It was one of the rare games where I played through it 4 times and never got sick of it. I remember it scared the shit out of me the first time I played it. I was the scaredy cat jumpin at everything while my wife was the calm one. She'll be there watching me play the sequel when I get it too. She liked it also

EDIT: Here's the vid

YouTube- Dead Space 2 - First Footage of the game (good camera quality)

Myndsync
04-12-2010, 07:46 AM
dead space still has the creepiest moment in gaming for me... i think it was like the 10th lvl when i got off the tram, and walked down the ramp into the first room. then i noticed the bodies everywhere. no big deal, there have been bodies everywhere since lvl 1..... but wait, they have bandages on their faces and hands. and there are candles lit all around the room, so someone has to be alive some where. and if that didn't freak me out enough, when i stopped to look around the room while standing still, i hear a woman singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" in a slow, methodical pace. while not "o shit" scary, it was one of those scenes were i just kept looking behind me every step cause i was sure something was coming out to get me. hell, i went and got my dad so he could see just how creepy it was(he loves the horror). that to me really defined the game... it wasn't always about the oh shit moments, the environment and sound design were sometimes enough to keep u on your toes, and i hope they bring that back more than ANYTHING form the first game

anti41
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm off to slit my wrists.. bye guys!
im sorry but your judging a game which isnt released yet as far as we know it may contain more horror than the 1st and be more action packed

Teh BeZ
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Remeber boys and girls 'Action over horror' was the mindset for Resident Evil 4 and look at that, masterpiece!

CIF
05-18-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm probably a bit late on this, but from what I heard, they're toning down the constant horror, not so it's less scary, but so it's suspenseful. Rather than KNOWING that something will jump out from around that next corner, you have areas where you go a bit without anything, so you calm down, then out of nowhere comes an attack. The constant attacks made it less scary than it could have been for me. You need some of both, otherwise you just get used to the things popping out around corners the entire game.
That's the exact impression I got from the Game Informer article. It isn't scary when you know there's a 70% chance of something popping out at you.

And I WANT a multiplayer mode (as long as it stays co-op like GI stated). That would raise the replay value IMMENSELY.

TheDai
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
The more info i hear on Dead Space 2, the more worried i become, il still buy it like the raging fan-boy that i am, but i really want it to keep the tension of the first game, and not become (god forbid) halo.

merzitar
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I think they should have just stayed with the horror. TBH, I don't like Resident Evil 4 and 5 much, becuase it's just cheesy action. I still have high hopes for Dead Space 2, though. Just as long as they don't completley take away the horror.

Cypher_Cobra
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
When I read the article. It gives me the impression that the changes are more going to be about Isaac's character specifically than the entire game itself(after all the Ishimura could count as a character, the ship has so much personality). It sounds like they're going to make him more of a super heroic type of character, and less of a mere mortal character thus empowering the player by giving him more action packed ways of doing his business.

Seems to me that the game doesn't necessarily have to have less horror. It could have the same horror formula from the old game, but with more action added to it. Instead of it being a loss of 1 element and an increase in another. It could just be: producer effort on horror remains the same, and producer effort on action increases. Same amount of horror, but with more action.

That could still dilute the horror aspect, making Isaac more super human. But it certainly will sell better, luring more of the scared folk out with a mightier hero.

Bobby v
06-03-2010, 05:32 AM
I think the game needs to stay the same. Co-op would be nice but how to pull that off I don't know. Multiplayer will be a joke just like RE5 and Bioshock 2. RE5 and RE4 both were good and very fun games but the RE series isn't scary at all and the story behind everything isn't very good. Hopefully Dead Space 2 will stay the same because I haven't seen anything in the horror genre that comes close to being this good since RE2 (which should be remade IMO)

Cypher_Cobra
06-04-2010, 02:56 AM
RE tries too hard with their Metal Gear styled plot twists that they can't pull off like Metal Gear.

I think the best thing about Dead Space's story, is that it didn't get overly complicated. Most of the game is focused on living, and repairing the ship. And over the course of the whole game you slowly get information about necromorphs, unitology, the marker, and the govt. They don't try to overwhelm you with all this plot crap, in fact they opted to tell the story additionally through another game, comics and a book I believe.

The story was perfectly balanced, tells you clearly and gives you enough info to know who you are and why you're doing what you're doing. While simultaneously providing a mystery to the game that you slowly get to digest.

BillyKlyde
06-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't mind if they mix up a little action with the horror. If they made the game the same as the last what would be the point in buying it? I'm sure it will have scares-o-plenty, but there's nothing wrong with throwing some high tension action in there too.

bblcreator8790
06-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Loved the first one, we don't need another action game, there are plenty of them. I hope this game turns out alright.

Cypher_Cobra
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Looks like the game is roughly the same in terms of atmosphere. The whole "action over horror" thing may have been blown out of proportion.

Quickdraw
06-20-2010, 10:17 AM
i don't think this horror over action thing is going to kill the game, they know what made their game a hit they are not going to stray too far from the path that made it a hit from the footage i sore it was looking pretty good, the enviroments are awesome looking. i think maybe you shouldn't get so overworked untill you see some more footage and some more info b4 making harsh judgements its still a ways off.

Sparedbile
06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm skeptical about the action over horror. But what they're saying sounds like the opposite of what they said for the first Dead Space. In a GI article they said that they didn't want to have you playing another master chief and go into a room guns blazing, but make you stop at the door and go "Do I want to go in?". Action over horror sound like "go into the room guns blazing, you're invincible".

I"m sure it'll be fine. I'll probably rent it first though, just in case. I don't want another straight up shooter.

But I do disagree with people complaining because they can't handle how scary a videogame is, and then having the game developer go "Well, let's help the pussies who's bowels release over how scary our game was".

Darkforce412
08-29-2010, 11:45 PM
i didnt hear that, i heard they were just adding a little more action in it thats it, im sure it will be still scary:eek:

FPS GLIMMER
09-12-2010, 03:57 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. This game was NOT scary at all. I didnt even realize it was a horror game till i saw people post on forums on how scary dead space was. I have no idea how people got scared playing this.

Mgetter
10-25-2010, 05:24 AM
I got to play a demo at Comic Con and I have to say it was really good. Granted, the comment about them incorporating lots of action make me worried. However, the demo was suitably scary. The new enemy, the horde, is great and the scripted action moment are very tense (it was the demo where youre in the unitology church). Anyhow, I cant say i would like straight up action, like COD, but i think shorter moments where you feel a bit more empowered would be good for the game. it would make moment where you more vulnerable feel all the more intense, scary, nerve-wracking.

that being said, ive been back and forth between worry and non-worry for some time. im just going to wait for release, at which point ill buy the game irregardless.

Mgetter
10-25-2010, 05:29 AM
on a side note, the devs said they want to add some action, not go all out, leaving horror in the dust. its still a horror game. if it wasnt, there would be a lot of flak being had.

Necr0sc0pe
11-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Here's the thing. You've already had your scare from the first game, getting a taste for the developer's style. There is only so much that they can do to scare you. They will still try, but now you will get more of a variety in the action! Enjoy what they make for you...or not! Either way, save judgment until the game releases!

Names
11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, with todays multiplayer announcement, they also announced that it was exaggerated about it being action over horror. They said it'll be just as scary as it's always been, just more variety.

JuSt BLaZe
11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
If it's only in the multiplayer I'm cool with that. Doesn't really bother me. Hopefully the campain will stay loyal to the first one.

Frank_The_Bison
11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
When I first got Dead Space I actually could only play it save point to save point. Mainly because I would play at midnight with all the lights off. It would be sad to see that disappear in Dead Space 2.

Pearson
11-30-2010, 01:12 AM
...As far as the game goes, it looks like they're taking after Capcom in terms of them leaning towards action more than horror like they did in Resident Evil 5. And that is the reason why Capcom is going back to the way Resident Evil used to be; Survival Horror. Supposedly Capcom is making RE6 a true Survival Horror game again. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to Visceral that turning a Survival Horror game into an action oriented game doesn't work.

Necr0sc0pe
11-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Well, hopefully Capcom gets it right themselves. :)

Mgetter
11-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Here's the thing. You've already had your scare from the first game, getting a taste for the developer's style. There is only so much that they can do to scare you. They will still try, but now you will get more of a variety in the action! Enjoy what they make for you...or not! Either way, save judgment until the game releases!

I agree. I played the demo at NYCC and let me assure you, there are still scares to be had. I was nervous myself (still happens at times) but the action is there to spice up certain moments. Where the devs said they wanted to make you feel powerful at times, like an action hero, it will make the times when you dont have that status seem all the more dire. Im going to withhold my final judgement till we see some reviews but Im not too nervous

Mgetter
11-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. This game was NOT scary at all. I didnt even realize it was a horror game till i saw people post on forums on how scary dead space was. I have no idea how people got scared playing this.

Yeah, right. Im sure you didnt realize Mario Kart was a racing game either. Its pretty obvious, from the packaging to the promotional stuff, to the intro trailer, that this game is meant to be horror. You may try to be a tough guy who cant be scared but when you post stuff like this, you just sound like an ass.

ODST Kayne
12-06-2010, 03:10 AM
This is bound to happen with our without an announcement. We have seen the Necromorphs, know where they come from, and we have a better understanding of them. That happens in all sequels to a game like this. The Necromorphs aren't these terrifying monsters anymore after the first game, they are now just scary monsters that we know how to kill. But they can change that by adding new Necromorphs and changing the game around with the sequel. Let's hope they manage that.