PDA

View Full Version : disc or cartridge

cotteneyekeith
03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
what do u think is best the disc or cartridge

i would like games to be on a cartridge saves getting them scratched

or maybe the game makers should give us a warranty with or game disc maybe pay a lil extra or it should come with the game anyways the price of a game is so high we should beable to take scratchd disc back to the shop and swop them for a new one..it cost less than a posst stamp to make a copy of a game disc

KMB 316
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
cartridge was alot faster loading, but cartridge games would be so expensive now since it would have to hold 8+ gigs

cotteneyekeith
03-04-2006, 08:50 PM
one good thing about a cartridge dont know if u know this but u can add chips to them AND THE CHIPS U ADD CAN HAVE GAMES DOWNLOADED ONTO THEM ...COOOL OR WHAT

Zee
03-04-2006, 09:04 PM
cartridge was alot faster loading, but cartridge games would be so expensive now since it would have to hold 8+ gigs
yep.
thats why i would say cd. but along time ago it was easyer to make cartridges (and they were superior at first but now there not).

scoobydiesel
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
For next gen stuff liek 360 i have to side with CD stuff but fior handhelds the UMD is annoying on the PSP

k_dog
03-04-2006, 11:43 PM
For next gen stuff liek 360 i have to side with CD stuff but fior handhelds the UMD is annoying on the PSP

Agreed, depends on the System....

scoobydiesel
03-05-2006, 12:40 AM
PSP is a next gen system i mean so yeah it needs the space but man who ever says they dont miss the quick loads from cartridges is an idiot...

P1NSEEKER
03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Are cartridges even capable of holding 8gb of info without being the size of a matress?

Tron
03-07-2006, 03:05 PM
that would be awesome to plug your mattress into the xbox 360 and play, you could sleep on your Game!!!!!!

DJHUNTERD
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
that would be awesome to plug your mattress into the xbox 360 and play, you could sleep on your Game!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!

P1NSEEKER
03-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Maybe rockstar will make a new "suprise announcement" and announce a next gen sleep sim with a mattress peripheral ;)

rog666
03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
cd (dvd) definately, do youz remember nintendos worst idea in the history of games consoles, sony came up with the first idea to use disks instead of cartridges years ago and put the offer to nintendo for them to use and they said no, but sony thought it was such a good idea that they made their own console to run with disks (playstation) if nintendo had said yes all them years ago then their would be no playstation or ps2 and nintendo would be doing a lot lot better, and their may even have never been an xbox if sony werent on the scene

SpideR NY
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes Rog I remember all that. That being said I liked playing the N64 way better then the PS1. No load times, awesome controller, better graphics. That being said no I would no longer like cartridge. Think about how much more Gamefly and GnF would charge heh. :rolleyes:

Minty
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
id liek to think that in the next few years, well just download the games. wouldmake them cheaper and saves having to wait for a shop to get the game in store

thieflordgamer
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
for portable systems, cartridge cuz they cant get scratched and u can take them out and put them in a case easier on the run. for home systems, discs cuz they hold more space and look cooler. unless the system has disc-scratching problems, lol.

graf1k
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I would love to see it go back to carts personally, although not carts like SNES or Genesis used. Today a game cart could be a USB thumb drive or one of those flash SD cards used mostly in digital cameras today. The problem right now is the ones big enough to hold games are way too expensive (I believe an 8GB flash SD card is $800 or something ridiculous like that) but if you think about it, it's so much better than CD/DVD/BD/HD-DVD based content. They are smaller, more durable, and less likely to be damaged. Not to mention DVD 'rot' is impossible with a flash SD card.

Unfortunately it'll never happen because by the time the technology is cheap enough to be feasible, capacity will need to be double what it is today. It's the same principal as a RAM drive for a PC. Great in theory, impractical in actual practice.

cotteneyekeith
03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
I would love to see it go back to carts personally, although not carts like SNES or Genesis used. Today a game cart could be a USB thumb drive or one of those flash SD cards used mostly in digital cameras today. The problem right now is the ones big enough to hold games are way too expensive (I believe an 8GB flash SD card is $800 or something ridiculous like that) but if you think about it, it's so much better than CD/DVD/BD/HD-DVD based content. They are smaller, more durable, and less likely to be damaged. Not to mention DVD 'rot' is impossible with a flash SD card.

Unfortunately it'll never happen because by the time the technology is cheap enough to be feasible, capacity will need to be double what it is today. It's the same principal as a RAM drive for a PC. Great in theory, impractical in actual practice.

you hit the nail on the head with that thread

thieflordgamer
03-19-2006, 09:58 AM
ya, if it were possible, i would say cartridges, but it'll never happen. i like the format of the ds games, if that would be possible to recreate in a much larger size.