PDA

View Full Version : As good as BioShock 1?

CrossFireZX5
02-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm still kinda on the fence about it. How's the story this time around? Combat? And also, is the multiplayer good and easy to get Achievements in?

evilman1000
02-10-2010, 12:10 AM
For me much better than the first i loved every second of it :) definate must buy!! and multiplayer is pretty awsome aswell from what ive heard is all you need to do is play alot for the high rank achievements :P i got the game this morningand im now on 820/1000 :)

Yunder
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I've been playing the game since I bought it a few hours ago. To me, it's awesome. The first game was one of my favorite games ever, and the second failed to meet my standards. It is, however, an extremely fun game, and shouldn't be missed. At all.

P.S. I miss the wrench. :(

TpYourHouse
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
You would figure the graphics would be better (obviously) but from what I've seen on Youtube and other places the graphics are the same. Is this true?

tremberz
02-10-2010, 01:06 AM
I've been playing the game since I bought it a few hours ago. To me, it's awesome. The first game was one of my favorite games ever, and the second failed to meet my standards. It is, however, an extremely fun game, and shouldn't be missed. At all.

I agree.

This game's story is not as good, nowhere near as smart as the first, however the gameplay is just as good if not better, and new enemies (that are tougher) make the game great. If you liked the first one then you will like BioShock 2 .

BurningCropsy
02-10-2010, 02:19 AM
You would figure the graphics would be better (obviously) but from what I've seen on Youtube and other places the graphics are the same. Is this true?

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2262&fk=86117&opv=gal&page=4&order=&aid=0

Here's a series of screenshots comparing the two games. You'll find that there's a ton of differences between the two games. Bioshock looks like it was made a couple years back. Bioshock 2 looks like it was made now. The game is highly stylized, it's not supposed to look real. That's part of the series' charm.

TpYourHouse
02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2262&fk=86117&opv=gal&page=4&order=&aid=0

Here's a series of screenshots comparing the two games. You'll find that there's a ton of differences between the two games. Bioshock looks like it was made a couple years back. Bioshock 2 looks like it was made now. The game is highly stylized, it's not supposed to look real. That's part of the series' charm.

Thanks for that, I noticed a difference just by looking at the first comparison of 2 screenshots.

idave1010
02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
My thoughts are if you played and like the first one you'll love this one. Bioshock oon (1), had that great mystery feeling of stumbling on Rapture. So you might feel a little desensitized to the 2nd installment know what its all about. I feel that it still has a great story line, pretty challenging and fun combat, and allot of shock and awe. And its still crazy to think your in a city that's 2 miles underneath the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and they make that clear in this game.

Wos
02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
It's way harder then bioshock 1 where the hardest enemy was big daddy, in bioshock 2 there's Brutes, big daddys, big sister and that's the hardest i meet so far.

But in a very good way ;P

v SnOwMaN v
02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Just as good as the first. Only thing that is different is the MP is added.

Wos
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
it's a bit better then bioshock 1 becuse it's harder now. with the brutes, the big daddys are harder but still fairly easy. Don't forget the big sis.

8fanru
02-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Bioshock is one of my fav. games for the 360 and i couldnt wait for a sequel....i picked this game up today and i love every second i never thought the series could get better but it did...if u liked the first bioshock dont hesitate to pick this up this is a def. buy for any 360 owner:drunk

Sampson
02-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Lol at wrench awesomeness.

MediumMelanin
02-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Hmm, the gameplay feels similar, except in some aspects, as for story, I have yet to complete it...

aussiegamer
02-11-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm still kinda on the fence about it. How's the story this time around? Combat? And also, is the multiplayer good and easy to get Achievements in?

Don't you take notice of the story as you play it?

ovoon7
02-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Gameplay aspects are much MUCH better than the first and I loved the first. The atmosphere is really great in some spotsit's still really good and I am getting into it. Theres more morality choices, more ways of getting ADAM, and way more fun to be had. Sadly it's shorter, but with multiplayer added on, what do you expect?

I heard the ending is incredible.

Albel Nox
02-11-2010, 06:16 AM
I think it's about the same.
Until you hit Persephone. Then it's like ten times better.
In my opinion though. >.>

jaded805
02-11-2010, 07:30 AM
The plot isn't nearly as good.

BioShock 1 had moments that were absolutely amazing and memorable. From the second you stepped onto the moving cart and rode in to Rapture, to meeting Andrew himself, and when you creep up on the Dentist and all the lights turn off, and when you first run into the frozen ballerinas, all those thing made the first one amazing and memorable, aside from having one of the smartest and most well written stories I've ever experienced in a video game.

BioShock 2 doesn't have anything like that, other than 1 "oh wow" moment.

So quite simply, no.

Elm
02-11-2010, 07:31 AM
The story and plotline of the first one is way better than the 2nd. Bioshock 2 story was still great but it can't hold a candle to the first in my opinion. In every other way part 2 is better. I especially like the rank 3 plasmids and how they do special things when charged up.

therealcmurder
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM
If you liked the first one then get this game. The story isnt quite as good as Bioshock1, but still good, just not ground breaking. The combat is way better. You get new weapons, better plasmids, wield weapons and plasmids simultaneously, and play as a big daddy. There are also a few new enemy types too. The multiplayer was mediocre at best for me, but I only played like 5 matches.

knightdedede
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM

YES!

Since Bioshock is probably my favorite game of all time, next to Team Fortress 2, I have been reading all the reviews I can find. A lot of these people are saying that Bioshock 2 is living in it's predecessor's shadow, but I say "NO!"

Yeah, they got a new team for the sequel and Ken Levine, much like John Edwards, wants nothing to do with his love child. It's messed up that a team can create a Game-of-the-Year and just abandon it, but that's what happened. Some people came back for the sequel and I hand those people my respect, because they have the cajones the others lack.

The game is equally as fun as the first. If you're a Bioshock fan, then it's even better! Sure they were afraid to expand from the original's formula, but I say "better safe than sorry".

As for the story... Bioshock's story was a masterpiece. It's extremely hard to top that. I am just about done the game. I'm sure there is some sort of twist waiting for me, but so far, I'd have to say the story lacks (in comparison to the first). There is a lot of depth, thanks to the audio diares (which also continue to give more depth to the first's story). I don't believe it amounts to the first's story (even though I'm not finished, I don't think anything can save it), but as video game stories go, it's pretty enthralling.

The multiplayer is stellar. It's everything I, personally, could want in a multiplayer component. The combat is a little bit flawed. Once you get used to it, though, it's great fun. It's got everything you could ask for. A ranking system, character customization and loadout, ample trials for extended fun and plenty of weapons, plasmids and tonics for a million ways to fuck someone's day up. Not to mention you get a frickin' *spoiler* at the very beginning!

So, in my opinion, I say "yes, the game is worth it". BUY this game. Don't rent it, you cheap bastard, BUY the game. You won't regret it.

Agusta1
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
In the first one, I was afraid to look around corners to have a splicer jump out at me. Now If that happens, I have a drill to help. It's great, but no where near as good as the first one IMO. But still don't get me wrong, it's a good game.

daenius
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
The plot isn't nearly as good.

BioShock 1 had moments that were absolutely amazing and memorable. From the second you stepped onto the moving cart and rode in to Rapture, to meeting Andrew himself, and when you creep up on the Dentist and all the lights turn off, and when you first run into the frozen ballerinas, all those thing made the first one amazing and memorable, aside from having one of the smartest and most well written stories I've ever experienced in a video game.

BioShock 2 doesn't have anything like that, other than 1 "oh wow" moment.

So quite simply, no.

I'm sorry jaded, I have to take your post as my quote, this is directed at all the B2 "dislikers", though.

I think you can't go ahead and compare BioShock to BioShock 2.

Although they're in the same franchise and have the same setting, they both are, at its very core, two completely different games.

I, too, was in awe when I first played BioShock, it was more emotional/shocking/surprising/etc. than anything I have ever played in my entire life.
To me, BioShock took videogaming to a new level in terms of storytelling, presentation and aesthetics and the WYK-twist was something I never thought I'd see done like this in a game.

Before BioShock 2 got released, I watched some videos and reviews and basically thought "ok, it's going to be BioShock continued with weapon enhancements and gameplay tweaks." and I was VERY sceptical.

At the core, it might be. But it also is a completely different experience altogether, don't you think?

BioShock 2 is exactly what I wanted it to be.

It takes you back to Rapture and tells a completely different story of a completely different character and also deals with the aftermath of Andrew Ryan's death/Rapture's complete downfall.

I loved the way they showed this in the game, more aggressive (hence more difficult) splicers; a more dangerous setting altogether, even the game's imagery shows us that Rapture is no place to live anymore.

And story-wise, I didn't really expect another twist like the one in BioShock.

Think about it, it would have been blatant of them to set out to top the first game's story.

The story in BioShock 2 works just as well, and there were more than enough moments that made me think about everything, even think about my decisions.

So I definitely loved BioShock 2, can't wait to play it again.

guillermo316
02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
i have yet to complete, but its alright

Tullaris
02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
The first one has the advantage because there was alot of mystery and whatnot behind it. However, the second one is still a very good game and I am extremely surprised they managed to pull it off, especially with so many development houses working on it. There is only a couple of wow comments as opposed to the first, but the gameplay is alot smoother and bad guys are alot more varied. Seemed like alot more chaotic in some parts too, which is good.

Definetly worth a purchase.

Talinth
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
For me the single player beats the first one by miles

agentplatypus
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I have yet to finish single player in Bioshock 2 but so far Bioshock 1 had a better singleplayer. The multiplayer in Bioshock 2 is really fun though.

Worthy of a purchase.

SpinelesS
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the story in 1 is better than in 2,
and
Yeah, the graphics in 2 are slightly better than in 1,
and
Yeah, Plasmids have been improved
and
Yeah, If you liked the first, you will probably like the second.

but that doesnt matter.

What matters is the Little sister's kick ass now! (the mr bubbles talk in 1 was good, but its now so much better) They act differently depending on your actions, and if they are on your shoulder they react to the things you do (set a slicer on fire, upgrade your weapons, etc)
and (story spoiler)when you take control of a little sister and see how they see the world... just perfect.

WOBBLY LEG MAN
02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
WOW... after playing the first game and 2 hours of the second one I only JUST realized why you get ADAM and your health is EVE. I am retarded.