PDA

View Full Version : The "Back" Button...

Emessai
02-10-2010, 03:20 AM
... is the most awesome thing ever. I'm not sure people realize what it is, or what it does, or that it does anything. I've made a list of every function it has that I've found.

感ress when not sprinting to “spot” enemy infantry or vehicles.
感ress when aimed at a objective icon (A, B, C, etc.) on your HUD to set it as a Squad Objective either as attacker or defender. This leads to additional points when performing the command (defend if defending, attack if attacking) within the proximity of that objective.
感ress when aimed at a nearby assault to request ammo, or a nearby medic to request a health kit. When playing as an assault, anyone requesting ammo will appear as three bullets on your minimap, squaddie or not; same for medic.
慌hen playing as a medic or assault, press when aimed at any nearby friendly to notify them that you can/will provide ammo or healing.
感ress when aimed at a nearby vehicle with available seats to request being picked up.There may be others that I'm not sure of yet.

That's everything I've tried so far. I'm pretty sure that you can, when in a vehicle, aim at a nearby engineer to request a repair. Unfortunately, it does not seem as though you can request a motion mine from a recon. If anyone could verify, that'd be great. In any case, doing any of these will help you get points faster, primarily assists (spot assist is +20, twice as much as a kill assist; can't get the kill? save your ammo, press "back") and squad-specific points like squad attack and squad defense. Certain awards require you use this function (to "obtain" a squad objective, you must first select that objective as your squad objective, without doing this you'll never get that pin/insignia), so don't forget about it.

Aside from that, it's incredibly helpful, and one of the primary reasons that I'm REALLY digging this game. Just makes it feel more alive. The only drawback is that it can often be used to spot people you can't actually see, but if you can't maintain visual contact, the mark will disappear very shortly.

Note: you can also hold it down to view the scoreboard.

elephantd
02-10-2010, 04:37 AM
I do like the back button alot!:)

RedWrath5
02-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Wow, i never knew all this. Thanks alot.

Ry8an25oliver93
02-10-2010, 04:49 AM
I hate it when I'm standing next to an assault class yelling AMMO for 5 minutes and never getting ammo.

Emessai
02-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Wow, i never knew all this. Thanks alot.

Hey, no problem man. I figure it's a button nobody ever presses (I usually only press it because in most game it's scoreboard), and unfortunately the information wasn't very well-provided by DICE, so I thought most people wouldn't know about it.

Go out there and use it like crazy! Trust me, if you play well enough you'll be getting easy 2k+ points from all the squad stuff and assists.

Taiyz
02-10-2010, 05:33 AM
I hate it when I standing next to an assault class yelling AMMO for 5 minutes and never getting ammo. Don't worry, it's a demo with no tutorial so it's expected that a lot of people won't be paying attention to the map or sound-bytes. I think it'd be better if there was stuff on the HUD pointing out who's calling to you.

But yeah, this is above and beyond what 1943 had and it's great stuff. I was wondering what a "spot assist" was when I got one; I was testing out the Back button myself at the time.

Presumably when you "spot" an enemy, they're put on the map?

Emessai
02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm not sure if an indicator shows up on your HUD... I should go verify that. Great pseudo-suggestion!

And yes, they show up as red triangles both on your HUD and minimap. If you can't maintain visual contact, they disappear, and you'll have to relocate them. Spotting is great for creating counter-ambushes and stopping enemies from getting behind you.

Ex.1 - Jon spots a sniper in the trees, but can't get a good shot on him. Neither can anyone else. The triangle fades away, and must be re-spotted.
Ex. 2 - Jon spots a sniper on the cliff, and Sam finds him with his sniper scope. The triangle remains until the the spotted enemy dies, or Sam loses visual contact.

Note: motion sensor mines don't leave lasting marks, nor can you mark a player marked by the motion sensor unless you can see that player.

Tx_Mace
02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Wow.. never knew all this! nice find and thanks for sharing, this will for sure help me in the future :)

APX
02-10-2010, 06:18 AM
I prefer pressing the back button when in the gunner seat of the chopper, helps everybody (most importantly the pilot)

Plus you get 20-30 points for spotting people. :D

Shelton
02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
At least we don't have to do the medic dance anymore. Although some people are still unaware that you need healing, despite the fact that your character is talking to them. It's a cool addition. Very useful.

The only function of the back button that I didn't understand was the squad orders. One match, I must have got 200 points in quick succession for ordering my squad to defend, but I didn't know how I did it! Thanks for providing the info, I shall use it more often now.

Emessai
02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
APX raised an excellent point about air support. If you're using the UAV, you owe it to the team to use the back button all day.

APX
02-10-2010, 07:44 AM
The only function of the back button that I didn't understand was the squad orders. One match, I must have got 200 points in quick succession for ordering my squad to defend, but I didn't know how I did it! Thanks for providing the info, I shall use it more often now.

You hit the back button when your looking at the crate that is being/going to be attacked.

Emessai
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I've been thinking about something. Has anyone ever seen that symbol when looking at someone that looks like a phone? Maybe if you press select when that shows up, you can talk to them? Just a thought, I'm not sure what that is.

I CR0W I
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I hate how you can't spot the enemy UAV.

If you press back while aiming at it the soldier will say "OH shit we got an enemy UAV in the air" or the Russian equivalent but there won't be any arrow or anything.

Seems like 90% of my team don't even know the UAV exists in the game...until they get blown to shit by it anyway.

Taiyz
02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I hate how you can't spot the enemy UAV.

If you press back while aiming at it the soldier will say "OH shit we got an enemy UAV in the air" or the Russian equivalent but there won't be any arrow or anything.

Seems like 90% of my team don't even know the UAV exists in the game...until they get blown to shit by it anyway. Here's a tip; go to the options and set Enemy Team VO to Localized. The Russians will speak in English, although with an accent. I find it silly how you can be the "enemy" team; it just refers to any non-English faction. But yeah, this helps a lot considering how important some vocal queues can be.

Also I think the big problem with people not knowing about the UAV is just caused by people without the Alternate Fire Specialization jumping into it so they don't have miniguns. A UAV with miniguns is quickly spotted and destroyed, and even if somebody doesn't know about the UAV they'll learn fast with those blasting at them. The rockets I find don't really tell people that a UAV's around since there's such a large timing gap between them.

I CR0W I
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I like the foreign voices. I've learned a lot over the years from playing games with foreign languages in them. Admittedly it's stuff like "Be careful", "Grenade!" and "MAN DOOOOWN!" but still...the more you know...

I find the shadow of the UAV gives it away quite nicely and the missile always comes from the direction the UAV is in (roughly).

APX
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM
UAV is a recon type of vehicle, maybe dice put it so that the UAV can't be targeted/spotted for the players?

Emessai
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Here's a tip; go to the options and set Enemy Team VO to Localized. The Russians will speak in English, although with an accent. I find it silly how you can be the "enemy" team; it just refers to any non-English faction. But yeah, this helps a lot considering how important some vocal queues can be.

Oh my gosh thank you. I didn't know about this. X.x Also I didn't look, but still.

And about the UAV, I could've SWORN I've seen it on my radar before, but of course it wasn't spotted regularly 'cause that doesn't work. Anyone try spotting the dude USING the UAV? Maybe that works.

Taiyz
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I like the foreign voices. I've learned a lot over the years from playing games with foreign languages in them. Admittedly it's stuff like "Be careful", "Grenade!" and "MAN DOOOOWN!" but still...the more you know... Yeah all I've learned is that suddenly yelling GRANADAAAAAAAAAS goes over well at parties.

Takamura Bear
02-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow, all this stuff is new to me. Much appreciated. ;)

One1 Man Clan
02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
A tactic I like to use when attacking the first base, is occasionally spawn from the parchute and spam the back button to identify enimies for my team out in the battlefield

ChaosGod87
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
A tactic I like to use when attacking the first base, is occasionally spawn from the parchute and spam the back button to identify enimies for my team out in the battlefield

I do that all the time lol. I also try to hit an enemy with the sniper as I'm parachuting down, I know I'm not going to, but it's still fun.

Emessai
02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm disappointed that their "Rush Tutorial" didn't include ANY mention (or use) of the Back button. Which needs a name. X.x In the menu it's uses include "Binocs/Score/Comms". I'm going to call it the communicator. Anyways, so using the communicator wasn't included in that tutorial, very sadfaced about that. I'm seeing it more and more, and it's really helping, but most people don't seem to know how to respond to it either.

Note: when using the communicator to interact with squad (request ammo/health/pickup/etc.) you show up as a phone on the mini map. Mah' bad~

stuhp
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
And about the UAV, I could've SWORN I've seen it on my radar before, but of course it wasn't spotted regularly 'cause that doesn't work. Anyone try spotting the dude USING the UAV? Maybe that works.

The UAV itself does show on the minimap at times - you can paint it (spam 'back' on it :D), despite it not registering on your HUD. My guess is it might have to do with altitude - or it's simply out of scanning range on your minimap when you paint it.

Hopefull it's something that'll be fixed, along with the squad icons right next to the minimap.

stuhp
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Note: when using the communicator to interact with squad (request ammo/health/pickup/etc.) you show up as a phone on the mini map. Mah' bad~

As a phone? Hm, haven't seen that before. Maybe I'm just 'calling' the wrong teammates.

BUH DUM TSH oh god that was horrible XD

EDIT: sorry double post for the fail :D

iCondemned
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I knew about the first two, but not the rest. Thanks. Haha.

Anji
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Wow never even though to hit the back button. This should replace getting :uzi:at or:chair because somebody needs Ammo/Health.

I can't lie, i used to do it too.....lol.

Emessai
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
As a phone? Hm, haven't seen that before. Maybe I'm just 'calling' the wrong teammates.

BUH DUM TSH oh god that was horrible XD

EDIT: sorry double post for the fail :D

Neh, think that one was a bit too literal, but still, good job. Anyways, my friends have been busy so I haven't been able to test all these thoroughly, but it does show up as a phone if you call your squad mates.

Copyright
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
感ress when aimed at a nearby vehicle with available seats to request being picked up.There may be others that I'm not sure of yet.
Awesome, I didn't realize you could do this with it.

MediumMelanin
02-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Man, I already knew all of these! It sucks when people didn't know, and now they know, lol, they would've never found out if there were no tuts...but anyway helpful for those who didn't know, maybe they'll play as a team now!?

ITD Soldierboy
02-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Really? Sounds cool. I'll have to try this when the game gets released.

MakoBallistic
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
sweet, just like L4D's click of the stick communication, nice info. PILLS HERE!!!

sir_taugs
02-27-2010, 07:48 AM
I find the shadow of the UAV gives it away quite nicely and the missile always comes from the direction the UAV is in (roughly).

Just to let you know you can easily shoot the UAV down with a gun. Takes 2 shots with the sniper rifle. :D

Bobafettjm
02-27-2010, 08:02 AM
I had no idea this button had so many uses. I had only accidentally pressed it a couple of times trying to pull up the score.

Emfulz
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I hate it when I'm standing next to an assault class yelling AMMO for 5 minutes and never getting ammo.

Same thing! It annoys the hell out of me.

I found this out while playing the demo and if people know about it, then it makes the UAV actually useful. You get a lot of points when you assist with the UAV by calling them out.

Apache 117
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
whats scoreboard then

Ry8an25oliver93
02-27-2010, 04:50 PM
whats scoreboard then
You hold it for the Scoreboard, press it for spotting

helipilot22
02-27-2010, 05:50 PM
just thought i'd say a big nice 1, for this thread really handy info, on the subject of the button itself I find it really well placed for recons like me, i can find a good position, for spotting and shooting, on the demo I turned quite a few matches useing the back button for spotting and even managed to get resupplied from the other team members a few times too. the only other game i know of that also made good use of it was the very exellent rainbow six vegas 1 or 2, can't remember which it was 1 or 2, but it was also used it for spotting/tagging bad guys and the ergonomics of the placment of the button feels good aswell.