PDA

View Full Version : NO backtracking?!

lowtek
02-11-2010, 02:16 AM
What waste! I mean, at least the game is somewhat short but man, why give people so many plasmids and tonics to use only to not be able to go to previous areas and play around with them, let alone make it easier for people to 100% the game! Bad design decision! Bad, bad, bad, bad...

ODST Kayne
02-11-2010, 02:22 AM
The first game was the same way.....surprise? The game isn't really short either. Besides, it works.

The Lovat Scout
02-11-2010, 02:25 AM
The first game was the same way.....surprise? The game isn't really short either. Besides, it works.

Actually no, the first game was definitely not the same. The first game only didn't let you return to I think two places in the entire game. So yes, if this is true, what a horrible decision.

mblaine
02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
The first game was the same way.....surprise?

You could backtrack in the first game. Just go to any bathysphere station and you can travel to any area you visited previously.

Anyhow, I don't see it as much of a big deal. You guys are entitled to your own opinion, obviously. But this doesn't hurt me much.

From a Kotaku interview with 2K Marin's Jordan Thomas (http://kotaku.com/5447213/bioshock-2-director-explains-vita+chamber-changes-backtracking-prohibition):
A lot of people don't know this, but the amount of backtracking most players physically did in BioShock was minimal. The amount of effort that went into supporting it was immense. We came down to having to choose between supporting backtracking and much more interesting, readable features ...and decided to invest in things we thought people would actually notice. We also got some knock-on benefits like shorter loading times because of the way the memory was structured once backtracking was no longer an issue.

idave1010
02-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Actually no, the first game was definitely not the same. The first game only didn't let you return to I think two places in the entire game. So yes, if this is true, what a horrible decision. No I believe the first Bioshock was the same exact way.

Jordbrett
02-11-2010, 02:44 AM
No I believe the first Bioshock was the same exact way.

No you could 100% backtrack in the 1st one.

Massa Siggy
02-11-2010, 02:46 AM
No you could 100% backtrack in the 1st one.

Except for the "Welcome to Rapture" level.

Which means I have to do another playthrough for those damn audio diaries :(

TwiztidChef
02-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Well to be fair the game does tell you this. Everytime you start to go to a new level someone tells you that once you leave you can't return, so at least thats something.

Jordbrett
02-11-2010, 03:01 AM
Except for the "Welcome to Rapture" level.

Which means I have to do another playthrough for those damn audio diaries :(

That sucks. But you can go back to that level just not the first part of it where the bathroom diary is.

The Lovat Scout
02-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Why are people still saying that you can't backtrack in the first Bioshock. The only places you can't go back to are Andrew Ryans Office, The Core where you plant the bomb, and the very beginning level. Pretty sure thats it, other than that its all eligible for backtracking.

And yes, I'm glad it does give us a warning with Bioshock 2 but it still kinda sucks. But its fine, I don't plan on collecting much on my Hard/No-Vita-Chambers playthrough.

MediumMelanin
02-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah, it's true, on what someone quoted from Kotaku's interview, I didn't backtrack, as I didn't need it in BioShock 1, doesn't really affect me...

blurbia
02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
I backtracked in the first one because I missed two audio diaries on accident. One on the big daddy suit level. And one somewhere else. So yes you could backtrack in the first one.

Do you need it now? Now you don't have to collect all diaries, just 100. Maybe if you miss a weapon upgrade station? Are those missable? lol

ghost10221987
02-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Yes, you can miss the Power to the People stations. And choose wisely, because there are only 14 but there are about 18 possible upgrades.

SpinelesS
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes, you can miss the Power to the People stations. And choose wisely, because there are only 14 but there are about 18 possible upgrades.

Sure you can miss the power to the people stations, but unless I got lucky I found them all without trying. I dont think they are as hidden as some of them were in the first game.

Wos
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
the power to the people is placed near the players route now.

guillermo316
02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
yeah but if you use the guide you'll be fine

idave1010
02-12-2010, 02:21 AM
No you could 100% backtrack in the 1st one. Yeah, your an 100% right, its been a long time since I played it plus I never used the bathyspheres to go backwards.

VladimirK
02-12-2010, 02:44 AM
I actually wasn't keen on them taking this out.

Sure, it wasn't used that much in Bioshock 1, but it gave you a bigger feeling of freedom imo.
Now it just feels like seperate levels compared to the first.

Kaspanova
02-13-2010, 11:10 PM
at least they have made it so you don't have to get ALL audio diaries.

I was panicing then lol... i missed one on the first level.. painful.

sr20sentra
02-14-2010, 12:42 AM
This kinda annoyed me they took that out , but not really a problem since the game is pretty short .

MelangeAddict
02-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Really no need for backtracking on this game. There's nothing rushing you to keep from exploring each level thoroughly. Okay, so one area gets flooded but once you know when that happens you can avoid the trigger until you are ready. You don't need every single diary and even then nearly all of them are easy to find. The Power to the People stations are all easy to get to and doesn't take a lot of puzzling to get to, oh I should go left to the Station instead of right.

SeaofDreams
02-14-2010, 04:14 AM
I remember the Power to the People station in the first game that was in Cohen's room. that pissed me off.