PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth getting?

iNSANiTY
02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Well? It looks good, does it play as good?

The Destroyernatorer
02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
It plays ok. It's made by Pandemic, so there's always glitches.

However, most of them are just hilarious and not actually game-ruining. I had a far glitchier and more frustrating time with GTA IV than this.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun, so I'd recommend it.

thewyseone
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
i also recomend it.killin natzi's is always fun.very playable too.i had 90 hours into this game before i completed it 100% and got all the achievments.many hours of fun.

CLB Fight Club
02-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I'd say definitely buy this game, only got it last Tuesday but i've already played 25 hours, almost completed the main storyline, halfway through the ambient freeplay with a few side missions remaining. Great game for a 25 price tag.

Bronxs
02-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Best Game ive ever played... Nothing bad to say about it. Just Greath!

sjmleicester
02-16-2010, 03:45 AM
It's good fun to play and very well designed with a representation of wartime Paris lovingly recreated

However the main campaign is redicuously short and the game is then padded out with 1000+ collectables / items you must destroy to get the last 100 gamerpoints which does get extremely tedious.

It will however give you many many hours of gameplay and is a good example of a sandbox game.

I am just glad I have now done it.

MadPete
02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
if u have nothing better to do than blow nazis to hell then yeah its great. i've logged over 40 hrs so far and havent even touched the surface of the freeplay events. I have sussed that the missions are easier if u have destroyed all the towers, aa guns etc around an area where a mission takes place first. the palais royal mission was a piece of p*ss after i had already cleared the place first lol

Ethan93
02-20-2010, 11:14 PM
If you can i suggest you rent it, story mode is quite short and easy and compared to Saint's Row and GTA the free-roam is a bit crap although you do get to blow up a bit more stuff but the map is boring and there isn't really a great amount of things to do.

jasonisco0l
03-06-2010, 09:17 AM
i think any game that is the adventure story that makes you feel like a badass is a great game nothing will ever top gta 3 though :p

Pushtrak
03-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I had great time with it. If you have a view to getting the 1000 (and if you are here, you do) it should be noted it took me 58 hours to reach that milestone.

jiytee
03-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I've only really got heavily into 3 games (out of the dozen or so I have) This was definitely one of them.... (others being Batman and Res Evil.) The game plays well, but some aspects get irritating (use free perks wisely!) Highly recommended.

Sly Toad
03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
This game is decent at best. It gets very repetitive and the story is not that good. Freeplay targets are very boring since you have to do 1000 of them. I would suggest renting.

ufcmike1
03-06-2010, 08:19 PM
This game is $40 at Gamestop and Best Buy, new. This may just be a good price for me to pick up this game.

rabies
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
this game really went under the radar. It is a pretty good sandbox game. Do you like/ assassins creed and/or prototype? If so, this game shares many of the game mechanics and play.

It is on the easy side..and the AI is really laughable in what they don't notice...and it can be a real bitch to see what is going on in unliberated sections of town (almost all black and white), but if you wish to do everything in the game, it will take many, many hours.... and i am quite enjoying it.

daishichi
03-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Pretty enjoyable, I'd say. After ME2 I was staring at the wall at my GameStop and picked this one because I'll be honeymooning in Paris in September. The city and countryside are very pretty, best displayed at the "Top Spot" viewpoints. My only complaint is that they make you collect Postcards for all the famous landmarks, and then don't offer you a way to view/review them (as Assassin's Creed 2 did).

The gameplay is good stuff, especially if you enjoyed the first Godfather game (same makers). The driving and combat feels much the same, and again they captured the period feel pretty well. The major difference is climbing and stealth, which are so often a pain in other games but are fun here. Finding ways into and out of danger can be challenging, and setting up a bunch of RDX while disguised and then watching it blow is satisfying.

The achievement list is pretty annoying, I think, in that it requires you to do 1338 freeplay events, way more than the story would require, which means a time-consuming, repetitive grind. It's not completely un-fun, but it's many extra hours. You can speed it up by using the brilliant Final Mission Glitch described here.

vI MeTh Iv
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
i would recommend gettin it it was a fun game.

The Geest
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Personally, I was put off by some of the reviews (I think it averaged around 70 on metacritic) as I has really high hopes for this.

Then it got reduced in price a short while after Christmas so I decided to take the gamble. I was playing Assassins Creed 2 at the time and this put me off the Saboteur as I couldn't quite get to grips with the climbing mechanic in it.

However once Assassins Creed 2 was done and dusted, I went back to this and after 30+ hours of game time and still around 400 freeplay events to blow up I can honestly say that this has been nothing but a HUGE barrel of fun. Highly recommended.

Aphrodite1
03-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Totally agree with above ^^^^

After playing Assassins Creed 2 the climbing just doesn't feel very fluid and comes across as laboured and clumsy. I try and avoid climbing where possible and use the panzershrek to take out stuff up on buildings

But this is a really enjoyable game that I'm not too fussed about putting 40-50 hours in. Fun alternative to GTA4 and make sure you get the midnight club DLC ;) A cool game that can tick along in the backround while playing other games to net a pretty much guaranteed easy 1K.

There are a few glitches. I sometime times lose my vehicles engine sound, no real biggie, but the glitch at the end to pacify Germans sounds awesome.

Vulger Spartan
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I GameFly'd This Game since I was iffy on Getting it but Even after I get 1000GS on it it I may actually Buy it Just to have a "Free Roam Sandbox GTA-Style" game to Horse around in since it seems I have a lot more First Person Shooters than I used to & They tend to blend into one big shooting, Tea bagging, trash talking Frenzy.

The only thing I wished this game had would be a GTA Free roam online Thing (at Least) That way we could team up into a group etc. but my thought was to Coordinate attacks at the same time in a section of Nazi Occupied Areas, " laInglourious Basterds".

Too Bad Pandemic is Gone, But WWII only lasted so long so I don't Know if there's Room in the Time line for "The Saboteur 2" then again Quintin Tarantino Killed Hitler & WWII had Different Ending.

Also Anyone who Liked This Game Should See "Stalag 17" its an old movie (1953) so its in B&W but its a bad ass WWII Movie none the less, probably the Best, Better that Great Escape.

The old DVD/VHS cover makes me thing of Saboteur:

http://cfs9.tistory.com/upload_control/download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzEwODE3M0BmczkudGlzdG9y eS5jb206L2F0dGFjaC8wLzM2LmpwZw%3D%3D

InkedUp
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I would definitely recommend picking this game up, its a great sandbox title. With the aforementioned glitch, the freeplay events are much easier. I enjoyed how everything is in black and white, but once you liberate a section, the color spreads throughout it. Pretty cool concept they used there. Check it out man, its good

b3nnyth3gr33k
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
great game id recommend it i got it for 20 and i haven't completed it yet and am thoroughly enjoying it.;)

HuskyHuscarl
03-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Its a cracking little game! (Well not little with the massive map) :p
If you like sandboxes that is, worth a buy

cheesyboy
04-07-2010, 02:19 AM
I got this game for my x-mas 2009 and played it all the time over the holidays. It's a great game in my opinion , the storyline is quite short, but the free plays will keep you occupied for a while. As other folk have said on this thread it's great if u like blowing the nazi's to bits. To sum it up it's like grand theft auto in Paris.
Cheesyboy

MILINKYO
04-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Just started this today and enjoying ut loads!! Was only 22, well worth it so far.

Goats
04-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Honestly, it's one of my favourite games. I loved everything about it. Well not everything... but it is more than definitely worth a purchase.

Tanelorn
04-13-2010, 03:10 AM
I saw it at 20$ at wal mart the other day.

After reading this, I guess it's worth picking it up for that price !

guillermo316
04-13-2010, 03:28 AM
if its 20$ i might get it,.

Tigore
04-26-2010, 03:08 AM
It may be worth getting at $20. I wouldn't recommend paying full price for this one. The story was ok, controls were a bit clunky, and it felt like an average open world game.

If you're looking for a game that you can sink a lot of time into trying to get the full 1k and you don't mind repeating tasks, then go for it.

Epsilon 616
04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah, After this games failure to make them money, EA has opted to reduce the price. It should be twenty bucks new everywhere. I bought mine new at Gamestop for twenty bucks at the beginning of this month.

For twenty bucks, The game is a steal.

People say its an average freeroam game, but I like it. The oppressed atmosphere is what really catches me. It has a strange noir feeling, which I haven't seen too much in games. I love the visuals.

The soundtrack seems one dimensional at times, which is disappointing because it was composed by Christopher Young. The licensed songs, which pop up while driving, are really great. I wish the game had a bit more expansion musically. I find myself singing 'Feeling Good' all the time now.

The voice acting seems sometimes over-the-top, but with the Pulp feel of the game, has its place.

The games controls are ok. Some things seem out of place, while other controls seem right on...I have the most trouble with calling in resistance help. How your character reacts to certain cover seems off as well.

The story has been entertaining. An interesting Pulp tale about a pissed off Irishman in Nazis occupied Paris. The missions are pretty strait forward. The free roam objectives are time consuming. I do wish the missions had a little more variety. Not just 'blow up' and 'kill this' objectives. More mini-games would be welcomed. I wish this game would have done better in sales just so this would be possible through DLC.

Overall, At the least, the game is Good. Its not perfect, but enjoyable.

I would recommend getting it new. Its twenty bucks. You also get the games only DLC: The Midnight Show, when you get the game new.

The Midnight Show makes all the girls in the Cabaret topless. Grants you acess to a secret lounge which features dances and a game which allows you to unlock a new car.

derspiess
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Yep, definitely a good game to get for $20. The storyline, characters, and visuals take a lot of liberties with history, but once I got past that I really started to enjoy it.

I figured it would be like GTA4, but it has a lot more of a Godfather II feel to it (in a good way).

edit: thought I'd add that I had one of my most enjoyable moments with this game last night when I was in the countryside driving back to town in a stolen halftrack & took a turn too wide, swerving into a field & splattering about 6 or 7 cattle :)

deepinthemosh
07-01-2011, 06:06 AM
My roommate bough this game like a year ago and still hasn't played but he keeps suggesting for me to play it first so he can see how much I like it. Is this game really worth both of our time or no?

MALGANIS
07-01-2011, 11:32 PM
If you're achievement hunter and you wanna lose 35+ plus hours, this game is easy and it's just for you :P For all other people, destroying nazis installation is just pure pleasure :uzi: For me its both :woop:

John SWFC
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I've been meaning to play this game for ages, and when I saw it for just 4.99 (brand new) last week I had to get it.

Enjoying it so far, although I can see myself eventually getting fed up with all the blowing stuff up which is already getting quite repetitive. I seem to have been doing it forever but I'm still only on around 35%

mesoungodlyfast
08-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Same here. I blow up every last single thing I can find on the way to/from each mission (and everything during the missions), and I'm around 30%. At this rate when I beat the game (around 68% now IIRC) I'm only going to be at 50% on the freeplay. Thats going to leave a LONG amount of gameplay left.:eek:

John SWFC
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I've really been grinding at this over the last few nights, got up to 92% of the freeplay events done and I think only another 1 or 2 story missions - I want to get all the freeplay done before finishing the actual game! Just got a few more in Paris 3 to get, plus most of the ones in Saarbrucken, I've got all the rest.

I got very confused by Paris 2 because my stats said I still had several to get, but there were no more white dots on the map in that area. Turns out that the last few were in an area that actually doesn't look anywhere near Paris 2 on the map! They were around the point where you get on the Zeppelin for the rescue Veronique mission towards the end of the game.

John SWFC
08-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Finally got the game completed to 100% and 1000GS last night!

Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would - the best 4.99 I've spent on the 360!

mesoungodlyfast
08-30-2011, 07:31 AM
I got very confused by Paris 2 because my stats said I still had several to get, but there were no more white dots on the map in that area. Turns out that the last few were in an area that actually doesn't look anywhere near Paris 2 on the map! They were around the point where you get on the Zeppelin for the rescue Veronique mission towards the end of the game.

I had the same issue, but with every area. The map shows them way outside the boundaries of the particular territory, but when you blow them up they count in the different one they are outside of. Sort of irritating when I'm trying to go area-area, and sometimes 3 border each other, so I have to clear the borders out a ways just make sure I get all of the ones I need...

Chuppernicus
08-31-2011, 02:56 AM
It's a game with worts to be sure, some even my wife noticed while she watched me play, BUT the game is still a lot of fun. Does blowing up Nazis get old? Shawn is pretty funny too. I like his and Skyler's characters. Worth your time.

ghostface24
09-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I loved this game as it was a lot of fun despite the repetition in tasks. Got my full 1000Gs on the game with all those side missions done, lots of hard work but it paid off.

mesoungodlyfast
09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
It's a great combination. It's got a GREAT storyline and a good, hard, long main story, but its also not one that only has that and thats it for the 1000. It has a LOT of sandbox freeplay, and it makes you work your ass off for that 1000G.

Sampson
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
All games are worth getting to some people. Anyone can hate a game just like anyone can like a game. I personally research a game a bit before I decide to buy it: watch some Youtube videos, check out the achievements, read some reviews and then I decide if I still want to get it. In my own humble opinion, it's a really fun game and definitely worth checking out at least. But hey, it's your own money.. not mine or any other user on this site.

IRISHCAB4
09-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It was entertaining throughout the entire 100gs. I can see where some people might get bored with the clean-up of the entire map, but we're talking about destruction...which is always fun IMHO.

TheHustlerShark
09-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Picked this game up for a fiver about two weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it (if you are reading my 'help me' discussion). It is fulfilling all my OCD need's like the GTA's of old! Probably better than GTA as shooting pigeons was eye-bleeding tedious. These freeplay target's are really good fun even though there's over a thousand. Thoroughly recomended.

Laevis
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
This game was the one who brought the idea of buying a Xbox for me.

Laevis
12-28-2011, 04:20 PM
My first impression of it was "Tomb Raider copy".

Snoop QC
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I say it's worth getting. It has many flaws (especially climbing on buildings after you played Assassin's Creed) but overall it's enjoyable and killing nazis on street corners is always fun!

Mickford
03-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Definitely worth getting, pretty fun game :) Doing all those ambient freeplays for achievements can be a grind but definitely not hard.

Aidexx
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
This has been on my wish list for a long time. It feels like an underrated (minor) classic. :)

ChickinOnaChain
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I was really interested in this before it came out but I lost interest in it, when a friend got it and told me how he hated it, since we like about the same kind of games.

JPEC83
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I had a lot of fun with it when I finally picked it up last year. To get my 1000 will involve a lot of running around so I haven't been keen for that since I beat it. Still I eventually went back and did Mercs 2 and that is by the same company.

It's an interesting sandbox title if nothing else.

Jonesin
06-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Very fun, especially the climbing aspect. Kinda reminded me of Assassins Creed. The black and white effect on nazi territory is cool too.

Rannoch
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I think I'm going to pick this up, actually.

Floorkiller
07-07-2012, 06:09 PM
One of my all time favorites...Very fun, there is a lot to do, but you can mix things up and pretty much destroy, kill, etc however you want...esp as you level up. I've played through it completely on 360 and PS3, and never got bored of it. Also, this game has the best dialogue ever, lol.

CHIRUNO99
07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Imo it's a great game. Probably one of the best WW2 based games ever next to Velvet Assassin.