PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game

StephenJ360
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I haven't played this yet, but I'm downloading the trial soon. Place your thoughts in this thread and let us all know what you think, because I'm sure there are quite a few of us on the edge of buying this game but not sure.

MADasaHatter
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I think it's great

simple but I can tell the puzzles will get kind of warpy towards the end.

The time mechanics feel a lot like Braid, but that's not a bad thing.

Edit: There is something to note though

In some levels, there is significant lag or slowdown. At first I thought it was part of the game, but I'd get to certain parts of one level and it'll slow up. To explain better, the last level of the tutorial :(the savory salutations level), the entire stage is fine. But when I walked into the bottom right of the stage, the whole thing slowed considerably. It didn't do that in the demo, only the full game.

Copyright
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I think it's great

In some levels, there is significant lag or slowdown. At first I thought it was part of the game, but I'd get to certain parts of one level and it'll slow up. To explain better, the last level of the tutorial :(the savory salutations level), the entire stage is fine. But when I walked into the bottom right of the stage, the whole thing slowed considerably. It didn't do that in the demo, only the full game.
Poor coding? A way to tell you there's something there, rather than a visual/tactile indicator?

cw_shadow
02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
i had no slowdowns so far. i think this is a great game, with a lot of style. i like the story, the music and it feels intelligent ;)

i say: buy it

MADasaHatter
02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Poor coding? A way to tell you there's something there, rather than a visual/tactile indicator?

Not sure. Like I said, it might have been a hint that something was there for you to use but all I saw were springs.

Thankfully, I'm actually up to the third stage now and haven't seen the slow down since the first stage, so I'm glad that's over.

Puzzles do get complex but so far it's come down to getting pies in sequence, which is alright but I'd rather have some variety. There's a slew of boards to do so I'm guessing they'll change it up down the line.

Been playing fooooor about two hours or so and I dig it. Poems break up each scene to tell the story, some are quite funny. Enjoying it so far.

Copyright
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Sound interesting. I might have to check this one out.
I wish Tell Tale would release more games on Arcade.

StephenJ360
02-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Sound interesting. I might have to check this one out.
I wish Tell Tale would release more games on Arcade.

Actually this game was an idea that two college students had, and just kinda worked on it and took it to an indie game show and that's how it got acknowledged. Pretty cool story in the newest Game Informer about it.

Copyright
02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Actually this game was an idea that two college students had, and just kinda worked on it and took it to an indie game show and that's how it got acknowledged. Pretty cool story in the newest Game Informer about it.
Nice, it's always good to see stuff like that happen. Some times "the little guy" can make do great things, even better than "the big guy". It's just hard for "the little guy" to get the chance at times.

x MrsMassacre x
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I say buy this game. I played the demo and HAD to buy it. It's really fun and cute. The story is great too.

digitalink
02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
As puzzle platformers go, this game is a lot of fun. Love the visuals too. I'm a bit backed logged with my other games, but when I finish them up, I'll be buying this.

litepink
02-18-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm one of the only people in the world that hates Braid. With that said, I am loving this game, it is how I imagined Braid to be.

ubermensch2007
02-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I am thoroughly enjoying this game. Enough difficulty in the story levels where you feel pleasantly accomplished when you beat them, but not so hard as to where you get overly frustrated. And sufficiently challenging bonus levels as well. Add the quirky humor, great music and lots of pie, and this is a great game. Pie!

D_J_3
02-21-2010, 01:11 AM
im loving this game! its just right, they have balanced the difficulty and fun perfectly. The only bits left to do now are the time trials :s
I think the way they use different abilities and clones is well thought out. Praise to the designers!!!!!

RealistIdealist
02-21-2010, 01:49 AM
I just beat the game and I'd give it a 4/5. The only thing it was missing was some replay value.

Norman Coxwell
02-21-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm loving it. Did the first 4 movies rather quickly though. I can see its going to be a short game unless one of the puzzles in the last movie stumps me but so far I really haven't hit any speed bumps, sadly.

Its a fun game either way.

RealistIdealist
02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm loving it. Did the first 4 movies rather quickly though. I can see its going to be a short game unless one of the puzzles in the last movie stumps me but so far I really haven't hit any speed bumps, sadly.

Its a fun game either way.

Yeah I actually only hit snags twice. Both in chapter 2. Chapter 5 was pretty easy with the exception of the very last puzzle (chapter 5.10) which is mainly luck.

The Juice707
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Here are my thoughts on the game:

Pro argument - The game's style is unique, and I would like to see more big budget games experiment with the Victorian art. Many of the puzzles throw a curve ball at you, requiring you to forget what you did in the last stage, and think in a whole new way. I liked the rhymes between stages. It offers a mix up every ten levels by bringing a new ability to help (and sometimes hinder) your play. It is fun

Con argument - The game is too short. There is only one stage that seems to combine the different abilities, and there should have been more. The difficulty is seriously inconsistent (I got stuck in the third stage, then blew through the whole fourth and fifth stages until the final level). The additional content comes as time/record challenges which really aren't much fun. Too much feels like it was just cloned from Braid (Braid IS a better game in almost every aspect).

That said, the game is a must play for puzzle fans. You won't get a lot of replay out of the game, but it is enjoyable while it lasts. It is a great effort for a lesser seen genre and worth the $10 if you are the fence about purchasing.

IEvil IMonkey
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Never thought of getting Braid and although this is sort of the same thing it appealed to me more =/

I loved it from start to finish and my pad made it to the end in 1 piece which is even better.... I know the game is short but with things they are in this day and age dont count out any DLC

My verdict 8/10 and a def BUY

The Bum-Mobile
02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
As soon as I heard about this game some time ago I put it on my "to buy" list. Me being an eccentric with a witty sense of humor and appreciation for films of all kind led this game to be a dream for me. I purchased it day one and have never before been blown away by an arcade game, or any game before! It's so unique! Not only in it's presentation but it's puzzles. Some are rather challenging that really make you feel like you accomplished something when you trump it. This is not a game to use guides on. :D

Link n Load
02-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I like it, its very arty =D, and a nice amusing story

Zee
03-02-2010, 06:54 AM
When my only complaint about the game is it left me wanting more, but completely satisfied with my purchase, I can't help but recommend the game.

On a side note, it is quite short, but you'll have a great time the whole way through. You can beat it in one sitting of less then 5 or so hours depending on how well you do with the puzzles, but for ten bucks, it's well worth it.

BehindTimes
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd say it's a tad overpriced at the moment.

Is it fun? I personally think it is.

But for the price, it's an extremely short game, and the difficulty of the game is non existant if you're decent with puzzles.

digitalink
03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd say it's a tad overpriced at the moment.

Is it fun? I personally think it is.

But for the price, it's an extremely short game, and the difficulty of the game is non existant if you're decent with puzzles.

See, I disagree. Yes the game is too short, but I'm sure it would have been a 1200msp game otherwise. With games out there priced at 1200 and 1600 I don't see how you can say this game is over priced. The only other price level is 400 and this is worth a lot more then that.

You are getting one of the few new quality arcade games avail on live. Half the hit arcade titles are remakes or just ports of existing IPs.

Games like Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, and Braid are all also very quick to complete the story. That's why they are arcade titles and no released on retail disk.

True Marvellous
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Great game well worth the Marps, only thing it's really missing is a level editor.

Ritual Beating
05-10-2010, 01:56 AM
The only complaint I have with this game is that it was too short. I loved this game.

circus1776
05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I was also curious about this game and this thread has helped encourage me to buy it for arcade. Thanks guys!

antydsr
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
My brother bought it, it looks great to me. He likes it even more than I do.

And remember. The PIE is a lie! :)

xBiG ReDx
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I like this game. I havent beaten it yet but so far it is one of the funniest, most origanal games ive played.

Fishman
06-30-2010, 04:12 AM
I think this game is great, some of the puzzles/challenges will make you think. I have not had any slow downs or lag.

It is on sale in the "Spotlight" section of your dashboard, if you are on the fence now is your chance to get it for a fraction of the cost.

Typeonegativ71
07-01-2010, 06:22 AM
I was interested in the game when it first came out but was working through a stack of retail so held off. As soon as I saw it up for 400 pts this week, I snagged it. Just started playing and am around the end of the first level and really enjoying it. Love the music and the art style (reminds me of Edward Gorey)

Squalasura
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
It is very unique and definitely makes you use your brain and think outside of the box. Overall a very fun game.

CosiestCube
07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I think it's great

I played the game for an hour this morning and it did not lag once.o

RuYi
07-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I liked the game, it's style and gameplay, but I found it frustrating at times and figured it'd be better to play for a short time only, but that's only because I lack patience.

StakemZ
07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I found the game fun, but certain parts were just stupidly frustrating. Got it for 400 MS points on deal of the week so I would say it was worth it.

div2010
08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
This game is great

jung4ever
12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I think its a great game. Its nice to play something a bit different from the norm. The music is cool, and the witty little poems are funny. Also, its cool to support indie game developers.