PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 tips

JG360
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Anybody got any tips because am really struggling and its putting me off the game. Plus i want to complete it before new vegas comes out cause that looks awesome thanks.

Cacky
02-28-2010, 10:00 AM
This video was made on the PC version, but the result will be exactly the same on the 360. The guy tells you how to level efficiently. I found it very interesting.

YouTube- FallOut 3 - Perfect Character Guide

Epic Henchman
02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
This video was made on the PC version, but the result will be exactly the same on the 360. The guy tells you how to level efficiently. I found it very interesting.
That guide is just beyond bad. One of the things that make the game what it is, is the fact that you have to adjust to the idea that its a inhospitable wasteland and giving somebody a guide that tells them the easiest way through it kinda defeats the purpose and forces the person to create a character that the guide tells them rather than create a character based on how they play. And buffing intelligence at the beginning game is just a waste as on every single playthrough I've done I've never had to max more than 3 skills since most can be left around the 30-40 mark without damaging the characters ability's.

Anybody got any tips because am really struggling and its putting me off the game. Plus i want to complete it before new vegas comes out cause that looks awesome thanks.
Just remember its a post apocalyptic wasteland, so scavenge all the ammo and stim packs you can and only carry item that you need, sell or think could be useful. Remember try not to go up against something bigger than you until your a high enough level eg. don't try to fight a super mutant master when your only lvl 5 and if your still having trouble try turning down the difficulty.

True I Skill
02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Like the other guy said Collect everything, i went arround taking any Ammo, Anything that doesnt Weigh abit, Especialy pre-war money, And any types of Meds of drugs. And i also took anything that didnt weigh much but was worth more than 30 caps. Sell what you dont need just keep all your ammo even if you dont have that gun. Spend your caps on More ammo as you can find guns in the wasteland also spend it on Stipnaks(If thats what they are called) As i always buy about 10 of them from each shop whenever i have the caps.

Always aim for the head in V.A.T.S for quick kills, Take cover behing objects its not a run and gun sort of game, The hunting rifle is a great gun to start off with, Buy one or find one and use it throughout most of the game. Run up to a supermutant V.A.T.S 2 shots into the head, as soon as it ends aim and shoot again in the head he dies, then pick up hes ammo for the gun and you have more than what you used.

Just be carful about things, Try and do as much as you can at once place before moving on, Stay at megaton and do the quests to level up one by one, Instead of doing one at megaton exploring then doing a mission for another place, Exploring the place can be dangerous. I recently had that random space ship encounter where it drops that Rare alien gun, I picked it up and was searching for ammo, Didnt think to check arround for enemies let my guard down them BAM A Death claw came up from behind killed me with One hit i died and had forgot to save when i had picked the gun up and the random encounter hasnt happened again since :( So save alot too incase you mess up or somthing.

padraiglovesyou
02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Like the other guy said Collect everything, i went arround taking any Ammo, Anything that doesnt Weigh abit, Especialy pre-war money, And any types of Meds of drugs. And i also took anything that didnt weigh much but was worth more than 30 caps. Sell what you dont need just keep all your ammo even if you dont have that gun. Spend your caps on More ammo as you can find guns in the wasteland also spend it on Stipnaks(If thats what they are called) As i always buy about 10 of them from each shop whenever i have the caps.

Always aim for the head in V.A.T.S for quick kills, Take cover behing objects its not a run and gun sort of game, The hunting rifle is a great gun to start off with, Buy one or find one and use it throughout most of the game. Run up to a supermutant V.A.T.S 2 shots into the head, as soon as it ends aim and shoot again in the head he dies, then pick up hes ammo for the gun and you have more than what you used.

Just be carful about things, Try and do as much as you can at once place before moving on, Stay at megaton and do the quests to level up one by one, Instead of doing one at megaton exploring then doing a mission for another place, Exploring the place can be dangerous. I recently had that random space ship encounter where it drops that Rare alien gun, I picked it up and was searching for ammo, Didnt think to check arround for enemies let my guard down them BAM A Death claw came up from behind killed me with One hit i died and had forgot to save when i had picked the gun up and the random encounter hasnt happened again since :( So save alot too incase you mess up or somthing.

What he said is good :)
If you're finding it impossible you could turn down the difficulty setting?

Qonok
02-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Two best weapons in the game I thought were the combat shotgun and the chinese assault rifle. Shotgun for close-up and the rifle when there was a little distance involved. They had the best damage to weight ratio I thought.

Here is a good tip though. Don't do what I did and not get Dogmeat until late in the game. He is a companion that can distract most mobs and let you get a killing strike in.

Check this for how to get him. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dogmeat_(Fallout_3)

I also picked every perk I could to help me in VATS. My favorite perk was the Grim Reaper's Sprint you can get at level 20. A kill in VATS will give you all of your AP's back. You can then just mow down a group of enemies fairly quick.

Paka
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Here would be my starter tips...

Don't sell any blood packs, Nuka Cola Quantums, or Sugar Bombs; they are used for other stuff later on.
Points in small guns, repair, science, and lockpick would be my picks.
Don't take skill point perks.
There is a quest called Reilly's Rangers I would do early on, before any major exploring, anyways. It is true you will run into a lot of Super Mutants but it will also take you through a place where you can load up on free health supplies.
Get Dogmeat early on, he is very helpful, but if you don't have Broken Steel save often in case you get him into a real mess.
Save often anyways and keep lots of saves.
Take ANYTHING weightless that has value to sell; if it has weight, look at how much it weighs vs. how much it will sell for when deciding whether to take it.

Massa Siggy
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Everyone's giving good advice, what I did was simply change the difficulty if things got tough (like if I was fighting Deathclaws), and then put it back on normal when I was in the clear. Saved me a lot of ammo/stimpacks.

BrandAid1138
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I recently started this too (a couple of weeks ago) and am having a tough time with it. i did lower the difficulty in the setting and that did help out immensely. a buddy of mine also sent me his guide which it a terrific help. all these tips are very helpful too. just remember to save often.

AngelCakeTom
03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
okie, this is what i found was most effective;

when you start the game;
if you arent fussed about gender, pick a female character, since the majorityof enemies are male the 'man eater perk' will give you a nice little bonus in combat.

make sure to tag your skills carefully and distribute points nicely. you dont need to worry about energy weapons as they arent powerful ayway you will most likeyl be using the;
combat shotgun - for close range
scoped magnum - powerful and good for sniping
hunting rifle (if you get 'ol' painless from dave its a formiddable gun)
assualt rifle - perfect all rounder

so focus your combat skills into 'small guns' and 'melee'
if you wanna snab up all the acheivments you will need to work on your 'lockpick' and 'science' (for terminals) and speech is vital.

sneak will be your best friend in large battles so boost that up as quickly as you can.

my stats at level 20 (game complete are something like;
lockpick; 100
speech; 100
science; 85
sneak; 98
small guns; 78
melee; 70
and the rest almost untouched...

caps are everything, be crafty and get as much out of everyone as you can (bad karma isnt a bad thing..)

while you work through the story listen carefuly to each character and try to get the side quests done alog the way as the cap bonus is a mighty help. if your done with a story character and you know they wont ever be releavent. dont feel bad about dispatching them and using there keys/assets to your advantage...

be really tactful in battles (especialy in ahrd mode) use stealth boys, stay crouched in battle all the time. use a scoped gun, then switch to a hunting rifle as they close in. or if you want to go in and take out enemies quickly, get out your shotgun, sneak into the middle with a stealth boy, and use VATS mode toheadshot 3/4 enemies at once for 4 clean kills rather easily...

if you get your timing right, search everything and are witty inyour speech fallout 3 is a pretty easy game even on the hardest difficulty... just make sure you treat t realisticaly, and it will be good to you. thats my pennys worth.. hope its of some use to you. good luck, happy mutant hunting.

Jakethemuss
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Basically what others have said. Invest in skills which you use frequently, such as lockpick, science, small/large/energy weapons, speech, repair. Some of my skills were barely above 30; sneak, barter and a number of others. Don't waste points by putting them towards unecessary skills. Trust me, you WILL have to do alot of shooting and fighting no matter what

Pick up as many skill books as you can, there are ALOT and an instant boost to a skill.

Pick -up every medpack, bloodpack you come across as they weigh nothing and are much needed.

Don't go out of your way to fight tough enemies earlier in the game. Hide and seek when in the wasteland and only kill mofos that stand in your way.

Use and abuse your VATS as much as possible. If you're fighting a fast moving enemy in the dark, manual aim with crosshair is a sure way to get your ass whipped.

BTW...the mission "following in his footsteps" is brutally long and arduous for one of the first missions in the game. It took me freakin hours to do it, first time round atleast. I kept running out of ammo and getting killed.

WholeWorldBlind
03-03-2010, 05:01 AM
All great advice. One more idea: if you've got the skill level, disarm the Megaton bomb (if you haven't already...if you don't have the skills save and pop some mentats, you can reload if you become addicted and try again) so you have a free place to sleep and store stuff, then stock up on duplicates of weapons to use for repair. If you have the O:A DLC do it NOW to get great armor you'll pretty much never have to repair and you can sell all the armor you find. On my "main" character I seem to spend more time stocking up and digging through the inventory in my desk getting my gear in order than I do going out and using it.

BrandAid1138
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
finally finished "following in his footsteps" last Monday. and as soon as i defeated the super mutant behemoth there was a ton of weapons i picked up. i feel so much better about the game and how to handle it now, thanks to all for the great tips.

McGoogles
03-04-2010, 02:20 AM
This thread will help you with tons of things.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200594

JG360
03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks people if anyboby has anythong else to please feel free

TheDeadspace
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Hopefully, most of you know about The Vault already. For those that don't, click the link below to find out everything you need to know about anything Fallout.

The Vault (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki)

Pushtrak
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
There is a school that is near Megaton. I find that a good place to kill some bandits, and get armour and stuff off them. There is a bed thing somewhere in there too that I used, too. I tended to try to find a bed to rest in rather than using stimpaks when possible. I never spent money on staying in an inn in the game. Just travelled to a bed.

Talk to the woman in the pub in Megaton and do her quest. You'll get access to a bed by that mission. Very handy to have easy access to a bed without having to go through the killing of enemies or paying for the privilige.

I found my best playthrough was where I focused on Melee, Repair and Medicine. Problem with guns, I found was I'd run out of ammo and have to fall back on the melee weapons anyway, so I decided to go about it the other way.

rndlgrvs
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
This thread will help you with tons of things.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200594
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've struggled with getting back into this game several times now.

DeviantDante
03-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Easiest way to get level acheviments is to play good character. Save right before reaching that certain level so that one kill will send you over. Go to Megatown or Rivet. Start Killing until you are now neutral, run away. Reload, kill again until evil, either run or kill all so the game registers battle over and allows you to level. Reload, do a simple quest, hack to level as good.

$RebelG
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I picked this game up myself from a friend like 2 days ago. I've done bugger all really, except explore/get lost/and try and make as much money as possible for weapons and ammo that always seem to disappear once being out in the Wasteland.

I'm still not sure about this game, mainly because of how much exploring you have to do before you come across a place for future fast travel. Not to mention it doesn't matter if I'm in crouch mode while in a place I don't know something seems to pop out of nowhere.