PDA

View Full Version : Avatar = Overrated?

MrBubbles x360a
03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Does anyone else think that the film Avatar is overrated. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie and thought it was entertaining as hell but the plot was so predictable and special effects, however revolutionary, can't save a movie. I thought District 9 was a much better Sci-fi movie with a better plot and was alot more exciting.

I can't really believe that Avatar is being considered one of the top movies of last year, but i guess when a film has the power to make people depressed because their own lives aren't as good as the "Na'vi" I guess anythings possible.

Anyways does anyone else think that Avatar is overrated?

Gorilla Stomper
03-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Is Avatar Overrated?

dakisbac
03-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Overrated depends on your view of the film. If you think it was meh but everyone else thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread then yeah, it's overrated to you. Same exact thing with the term underrated.

As far as I'm concerned though, yeah it's overrated. I enjoyed the film immensely- it is probably the first film (that I've seen) that deserves to be called epic since LotR, but I can't rate it as high as everyone else seems to. The saw-it-coming ending for example is just one of a few things that take away from the movie.

A ZombieTwinkie
03-06-2010, 04:11 AM
The visuals were freekin' amazing.

The story? Yea, it was fairly predictable. It was like Pocahontas mixed with Mech-Warrior and the Elves from WoW.

And yes, I'd say it was slightly over-rated. I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone I know did.

Purge
03-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I didn't think it was over-rated at all.

ezekiel 08
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I didn't read into any hype for this movie. I didn't want to know the story before I saw it. Movies are always better if you find out everything they have to offer first hand. Otherwise you will base what you see on other people's opinions. Who would want their judgement of something based on other peoples thoughts?

I loved the movie and yes, it was meant to make you want to be one of those Blue people (can't remember their name). The fact that it achieved that goal is a massive achievement. What other movies have you felt (even a little bit) jealous of a different culture? Not many I would assume, if any.

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-06-2010, 08:55 AM
IMO the story was weak, and it dragged on way too long. However, the visuals were incredible and the acting was solid. Also, (IMO) it is overrated in the sense that it doesn't belong in the Best Picture category.

captain host
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Is Avatar Overrated? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ) I love how people on this site alway have a clip or a picture to answer make me laught everytime :)

CHPwannabe
03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
IMO the story was weak, and it dragged on way too long. However, the visuals were incredible and the acting was solid. Also, (IMO) it is overrated in the sense that it doesn't belong in the Best Picture category.

Part of it is a rip-off of FernGully, but i dont see it as being overrated. It is an amazing movie and deserves to be nominated but district 9 deserves to win.

specVjavi
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I went into this movie with pretty low expectations, not knowing what to really expect. I didnt read up on any reviews, and didnt read any synopsis of it or anything. But boy was i pleasantly surprised. So to me, no, the movie is not Overrated. It was an exceptionally well done movie, with amazing graphics and a pretty good, if slightly unoriginal plot. If it wins an award this Sunday, i think it would be well deserved.

padraiglovesyou
03-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah I work in a cinema I used to tell people when they asked that it was pants just because I thought it was so overrated lol

The Ultrafiend
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Somebody made a great post on an Avatar thread a little while ago that compared the story to Pocahontas with hysterically similar results.

Definitely overrated. Spectacular fireworks show and all that but that's all it was to me.

master_shake_350
03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes I agree, it was overated. I feel asleep watching it, the story was boring but the 3D was pretty cool!

CunningFox
03-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Does anyone else think that the film Avatar is overrated. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie and thought it was entertaining as hell but the plot was so predictable and special effects, however revolutionary, can't save a movie. I thought District 9 was a much better Sci-fi movie with a better plot and was alot more exciting.

I can't really believe that Avatar is being considered one of the top movies of last year, but i guess when a film has the power to make people depressed because their own lives aren't as good as the "Na'vi" I guess anythings possible.

Anyways does anyone else think that Avatar is overrated?

Well, I definitely agree that District 9 was a much better movie!

laundryman
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I had pretty high expectations going in thinking that it was nothing special, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I don't think it was overrated at all.

iNf3Rn0 Lan
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I liked it, but it was far too politically correct. They made the humans stupidly idiotic and made you want to be one of the Na'vi. Well, I personally would like to stay human... plus, nations (aka the Na'vi in this case) that are so pro-peace don't prosper in reality. They could have at least tried to compromise.

Whatever, at least the action and stuff was good.

Daiphyer.
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Damn overrated. Pretty visuals don't save a weak and predictable plot. It was not exciting at all!

i m redshark
03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I personally have not seen this movie, but I have no urge to. Based on what I saw in the previews, it just doesn't seem like it would appeal to me. Maybe one day I'll take the time to watch it, but for now I'm fine without

Starstrukk X360A
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
It was amazing CGI wise, but I just couldn't get into the story.

tubenator
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
+1, I thought that the whole movie was too hyped, I didn't like it at all.

shilbo-assassin
03-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Most over rated film in years!

Ripped off a ton of films (Pocahontas, Ferngully, The Matrix, Dances with Wolves), loads of cheesy lines and nothing to remember as such. I didn't mind it but definitely over-rated!

X3NOTIME
03-08-2010, 12:42 AM
i think if the dudes weren't blue id like it but since they are blue i just think its gay

HacksawDoomx187
03-08-2010, 01:33 AM
The acting is fair at best. The story supposedly took over a decade to write yet it is a rip off of Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves (I don't remember Ferngully but apparently that as well). The visuals are pretty damn good and are the only thing that sperate it from being a generic sci-fi action film. Over-rated in relation to the hype without a doubt. The academy giving this film a Best Picture nod is a complete fucking joke.

Sir Pengin
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
IMO the story was weak, and it dragged on way too long. However, the visuals were incredible and the acting was solid. Also, (IMO) it is overrated in the sense that it doesn't belong in the Best Picture category. This. It just wasn't that good, but once someone hits the mainstream most people will think what is released is good.

PerpetualHeaven
03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
lol @ people complaining about the unoriginal plot. Has anyone ever took the time to study literature? No? Oh, well, let me tell you something! ALL STORIES ARE BORROWED! There is very few original stories anymore. Every single book you read, movie you watch, video game you play, is all borrowed information and references to original works from hundreds of years ago. That's a part of being an author. If I were to write a book, or anyone for that matter, I would write a successful book by borrowing ideas from things I read. I may do it unconsciously, but if you read a damn book and you're going to write a screenplay, script, or book, then you're borrowing ideas indirectly. That's how the cookie crumbles. You can make hundreds of references from many successful pieces that date back to other things. You know Pocahontas existed long before the Disney movie, right? Disney is notorious for borrowing classic folk and fairy tales. Go check out all their movies and it dates back to hundreds or thousands of years ago. A lot of folk and fairy tales existed in oral tradition.

As for Avatar being overrated: No, I don't think so. I think it's the cool thing now to call every overrated and overhyped. The movie is a quality movie. I'm glad I got to see it because not that many good movies come out anymore.

Deadly Moves
03-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Way over-rated IMO.. the only award it possibly deserves is special effects, nothing else

ZundayXx
03-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Did anyone else notice the other movies that came out this year??
Appart from District 9 i can only say one thing:

CRAP

Purge
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM
lol @ people complaining about the unoriginal plot. Has anyone ever took the time to study literature? No? Oh, well, let me tell you something! ALL STORIES ARE BORROWED! There is very few original stories anymore. Every single book you read, movie you watch, video game you play, is all borrowed information and references to original works from hundreds of years ago. That's a part of being an author. If I were to write a book, or anyone for that matter, I would write a successful book by borrowing ideas from things I read. I may do it unconsciously, but if you read a damn book and you're going to write a screenplay, script, or book, then you're borrowing ideas indirectly. That's how the cookie crumbles. You can make hundreds of references from many successful pieces that date back to other things. You know Pocahontas existed long before the Disney movie, right? Disney is notorious for borrowing classic folk and fairy tales. Go check out all their movies and it dates back to hundreds or thousands of years ago. A lot of folk and fairy tales existed in oral tradition.

As for Avatar being overrated: No, I don't think so. I think it's the cool thing now to call every overrated and overhyped. The movie is a quality movie. I'm glad I got to see it because not that many good movies come out anymore.

Praise the wolfpack! That was a very good post, fearless leader.

iBlessing 09
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/19/avatar-spoiler.jpg

http://www.zamaanonline.com/images/avatar-makeup-3d-modeling.PNG

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/thisispandora.jpg

CodSteaks
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
i don't know if i would call it overrated. i'm definitely not surprised it was nominated for best picture, for the same reason i'm not surprised movies like forrest gump or titanic have won in the past, that's just the way the academy works. i walked out of the theatre after seeing avatar and after seeing district 9 thinking they were awesome. i can say they were awesome for different reasons. district 9 is a fantastic, character driven story that happens to be a sci-fi flick. avatar is shallow and predictable, but it still amazed me. the story wasn't bad enough to detract too much from the overall experience, in my opinion.
i don't know much detail about the technical side of the film, but i had heard that james cameron actually developed some new techniques or technology for avatar. that alone is worthy of recognition, at least for the fact that it elevated film making to a new level technically, regardless of how thin the script may have been. even movies like lord of the rings and district 9, no matter how focused on detail and how skilled the craftsmanship, still used existing film making techniques, they just used them better than most.
i was actually pleasantly surprised that district 9 was nominated for best picture, though. i do think that was a much better movie and it would have gotten my vote for best picture, but i didn't see all the nominated movies.
now who thinks the hurt locker actually WAS the best picture of '09?

HacksawDoomx187
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Did anyone else notice the other movies that came out this year??
Appart from District 9 i can only say one thing:

CRAP
You must not have seen Up in the Air, 500 Days of Summer, A Serious Man, Fantastic Mr. Fox, World's Greatest Dad, Inglorious Basterds, It's Complicated, Moon, The Hurt Locker, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, In the Loop, or UP.

Gorilla Stomper
03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
You must not have seen Up in the Air, 500 Days of Summer, A Serious Man, Fantastic Mr. Fox, World's Greatest Dad, Inglorious Basterds, It's Complicated, Moon, The Hurt Locker, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, In the Loop, or UP.

Excellent movies, the rest I have not seen yet.

He spelt apart wrong. Fail.

ZundayXx
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Excellent movies, the rest I have not seen yet.

He spelt apart wrong. Fail.

Well im sorry for not being perfect.

Also: I hate all movies that don't involve the killing of at least 20 people, i'm agressive, and i like being that way.

My opinion has been heard!!
Also: I'm sorry for being a dumbass.

laundryman
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Also: I hate all movies that don't involve the killing of at least 20 people, i'm agressive, and i like being that way.

Surprised you didn't see Inglorious Basterds then. There was plenty of violence.

X monkfish69 X
03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Avatar is overrated. Good visuals, a story that we have seen before in different guises, great sound design and some unimaginative creatures. Every other animal had six legs. I mean is that as imaginative as you can get Cameron ?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I hoped I would.

Anyhow, when I was watching this at the weekend, I couldn't help but think that this was a very very good excuse to get this on Blu-Ray and a new LED HDTV. It's an LED showcase I tell ya !

Peace !

Magic Coletrain
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Nope

i thought it was an amazing movie, loved everything about it

can't wait for the 2nd one

Barad
03-09-2010, 10:03 PM
The film is great but not great enought to make 2.5 billion dollors i mean thats just stupid i liked freaking transformers more god dammit!

MrBubbles x360a
03-10-2010, 02:44 AM
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/19/avatar-spoiler.jpg

http://www.zamaanonline.com/images/avatar-makeup-3d-modeling.PNG

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/thisispandora.jpg
I don't even know what i'm quoting but I love it :)

Barad
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't even know what i'm quoting but I love it :)

Just why? lol

MrBubbles x360a
03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Just why? lol

I'm easily amused :woop:

Admiral Axe
03-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Yes Avatar is very overrated. Though I may have enjoyed it, I was glad when "The Hurt Locker" won best picture because I fairly enjoyed it. The reason I think this was overrated because all of this hype that was just buzzing around the Theaters and movie. Plus it depends on which director. Some Directors are bigger then others such as James Cameron has already made some outstanding movies. As time goes on, that directors movies get even more famous causing a lot more hype. When this hype is at stake it puts a certain amount of pressure on that Director has to live up the standards of the fans.

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Overrated, yes of course it is......many better movies have got less praise

I think just because its James Cameron everybody is LIKE OMG and the visuals, and things going PEW PEW

But then again not as overrated as Twilight, I want a real vampire to smack the twinkle right off them

MGMT
03-19-2010, 05:10 PM
i think if the dudes weren't blue id like it but since they are blue i just think its gay

This post made me laugh. What a goon.

What I found to be interesting most, is Post-Avatar Depression.
(If you don't know what I'm talking about, just google it, or whatever
search program you use.)

"groan. I wish I lived in a world like Pandora.. sigh. But I never will." pff

oh, and I still haven't got around to seeing the movie.

b3nnyth3gr33k
03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I loved Avatar went to see it in 3D and i loved district 9 both good but Avatar better in my opinion would've been even better if it didnt have so much love in it! lol more action FTW:)

Zergadooful
03-19-2010, 11:59 PM
I went to see it with some friends but couldn't stop thinking of smurfs. The visuals were great, but I thought it would end once the tree got destroyed, BUT NO! :eek: It dragged on for another hour of blue cat hippies helplessly running around until they somehow won against futuristic mechs and VTOLs with stone age weapons... :confused:

In other words, I thought that the entire movie was stupid, and even the amazing visuals couldn't make up for it.

Mosizzle313
03-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Yes and No. The visuals were obviously groundbreaking and the whole idea was pretty sweet. It definitely doesn't compare to any other movie that has ever came out. Dances with Wolves is similar but this movie offers so much more. I think it was brilliant and James Cameron once again has delivered excellence to everyone.

maxpwns
03-20-2010, 01:34 PM
i would say it is overrated but i was impressed with the special effects (saw in IMAX and 3D) he did a really good job with the CGI and surprisingly didn't throw a bunch of shit on the screen and didn't make so much stuff fly towards you so you would get a headache after wards

oraclekun
03-20-2010, 04:10 PM
The best thing is just watch it and try to limit thinking about any of the plot as much as possible, the more you are thinking about the more plot holes you find. I saw an review by redlettermedia who described the movie as "effective", using every trick in the book to make the audience care about it, but in the end it's just Cameron being a manipulative bastard. I think that sums up the movie quite well.

Volzagia
03-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I still havent seen it :mad:

LMC1
03-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Overrated depends on your view of the film.

Agreed, and I personally love the film!

Jud3n
03-22-2010, 03:42 PM
i agree with op good but way overrated...but it did satisfy my curiosity into what would the live action version of ferngully and the pelicans from halo look like

Vortex Elegy
03-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I was bored and was glad it was over. SFX movies are sometimes nice to watch but this has such a thick "oh-look-at-us-making-a-environment-movie-layer" on it, it really annoyed me.

If they had spend a little bit more attention to the script instead of a long techdemo... And no, I don't want to search teh interwebz to get to know more about the backgound.

For me, it was definitely overrated. For around 98% of the other movie people in the theatre, it was obviously not. Well, at least there were these other movies that I recently saw that were good to me. The Hurt locker, Bitch Slap, Black Dynamite, District 9 and some others.

jessd_25
03-29-2010, 03:17 AM
In my opinion, Avatar was the equivalent of a lifetime of orgasms piled into one. I think its the greatest movie I've ever seen and I will watch it over and over when it comes out on DVD!

Massa Siggy
03-29-2010, 03:19 AM
It was pretty. That was it. I didn't care for the story, but it looked good.

Nowhere near living up to the hype.

THF_Reborn
03-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Greatest movie made so far in my opinion.
Visuals 10/10 Simply Amazing
story10/10 I'd like to see how anyone could improve
Flow 10/10 No real drag
Music 10/10
Also showed many interesting parallels to real life. Numb minded military wants to kill, GreedyCorporation wants to take, Scientists/researchers want to save.

Had no interest in blu-ray or 3D TV until I saw this movie(meanwhile the author adds 5000 dollars to his 2010 expenses...)

Dz06lt
03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
yep it sure is

Massa Siggy
03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
story10/10 I'd like to see how anyone could improve
Also showed many interesting parallels to real life. Numb minded military wants to kill, GreedyCorporation wants to take, Scientists/researchers want to save.

It was basically Pocahontas in space.

heyheyleo000
04-03-2010, 11:37 PM
It was good, but it was basically just sci-fi Pocahontas, the Hurt Locker was much better, and i was glad it won

cesaro
04-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Smurf berries what?

Goats
04-04-2010, 04:07 AM
I thought it was decently rated. I personally really loved it. I wasn't expecting it to be good, though, honestly. I went into it thinking it would be some boring movie with great visuals; but it was actually really entertaining. Sitting there for almost 3 hours with 3D glasses on doesn't appeal at all to me; for some reason I managed with this movie and I really enjoyed it.

Euvel
04-04-2010, 04:34 AM
I thought the movie was freakin mind blowing. Great story, character development, sound and visuals, and everything except unobtainuim and "Your not the only one with guns" was good. I'm pretty sure that we'll have to give it the Matrix treatment. Leave it for ten years then pick it up and say "Wow this movie really sucks, but I like it because of what it is".

I kind of see a lot of people joining this bandwagon of trying to go against the crowd of people who think the movie is great and I find it annoying. They come up with dumb reasons for disliking it like "It is basically Pocahontas in space (when it wasn't in space when the majority of it was on a solid rock. Everything must be considered in space if you use that logic you idiot) and if you liked Pocahontas then why the hell would you dislike this movie? If you compare the too and say they are just alike then they must be equal in likability. I do not understand how you can say a movie sucks (apart from personal opinion) when people have died from viewing it. A man didn't even make it out of the theatre! I declare this, the death of a viewer for the film being so tremendously awing, the standard of not being overate!

ah2190
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I have to disagree. I watched Avatar, and it was really good. True, the game has gotten a bit boring, but I'll still enjoyed the film. I can't wait to see what comes in Avatar 2.

rvlution
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Never saw it but I did think it looked a little lousy. Might be wrong though.

Kirye
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I have to disagree. I watched Avatar, and it was really good. True, the game has gotten a bit boring, but I'll still enjoyed the film. I can't wait to see what comes in Avatar 2.

Oh God, there's gonna be a sequel to this?

..Of course there's gonna be a sequel, if something sells they'll make another one. Honestly, I thought it was an okay movie. Yeah, it was definitely pretty, but best movie of the year? Hell no. District 9 and Hurt Locker should have that title, Avatar was so mediocre in terms of it being an actual good movie.

It's sad though, first Twilight beats out Slumdog Millionaire for movie of the year, a fact that I STILL cringe about to this day. Now, we're down to a few good movies, and a movie with a meh story and pretty visuals.

And Euvel, the only part of your post that I agree with is that ten years from now, people will look back at Avatar and think "Oh god, this movie was bad, what the hell was I on?".

dirge
04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't like the look of it, so i'm not even going to bother. Mind you a lot of new films in recent years haven't really caught my attention.

DevilMaster18
04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think it's overrated, it definitely deserve to be up there with the best. Maybe not the best, but every penny i spent on the tickets to see this film is well worth it so it's not overrated.

Although, i understand why you said it's overrated as it had grossed over 2 Bil', but it also deserved that much of gross since every second you spend watching the film is worth it. All praises to James Cameron, every film he had created (Aliens, Terminator, Titanic etc...) had been good so any future films his going to bring out, just watch it. Don't bother researching if the film is good or not, as it most likely will be good.

Same to Steven Spielberg. Sucessful and top directors = you know you'll be paying good price for the film you're going to see.

Euvel
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Same to Steven Spielberg. Sucessful and top directors = you know you'll be paying good price for the film you're going to see. Well with the reaction of the last Indiana Jones movie I do not know if you can count him in.

DevilMaster18
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Well with the reaction of the last Indiana Jones movie I do not know if you can count him in.

Haha! True!!! I thought it was worth watching until i saw aliens. Then i was like "Okay... Did Spielberg let a 5 year old write this film?"

Nevertheless, i love Spielberg because he made my favourite film which is Jurassic Park 1. Good ol' days!

R Rated Love
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
While I disagree that it's overrated (the term "overrated" is overrated), I call bullshit on anyone who praises its story. It was stunning visually, but the story was absolutely nothing new, and probably the only thing I wasn't really fond of.

DevilMaster18
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM
While I disagree that it's overrated (the term "overrated" is overrated), I call bullshit on anyone who praises its story. It was stunning visually, but the story was absolutely nothing new, and probably the only thing I wasn't really fond of.

I thought the story was pretty good, although the story was quite predictable but interesting.

movesilent
04-12-2010, 04:43 AM
i dont think it was overrated. it was a good movie a lot of good battle especially in 3D it was very good.

THF_Reborn
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh God, there's gonna be a sequel to this?

..Of course there's gonna be a sequel, if something sells they'll make another one. Honestly, I thought it was an okay movie. Yeah, it was definitely pretty, but best movie of the year? Hell no. District 9 and Hurt Locker should have that title, Avatar was so mediocre in terms of it being an actual good movie.

It's sad though, first Twilight beats out Slumdog Millionaire for movie of the year, a fact that I STILL cringe about to this day. Now, we're down to a few good movies, and a movie with a meh story and pretty visuals.

And Euvel, the only part of your post that I agree with is that ten years from now, people will look back at Avatar and think "Oh god, this movie was bad, what the hell was I on?".

You got it backwards man, District 9 and the hurt locker were overrated. I mean they were decent movies but Avatar really was superior besides The numbers don't lie, "highest grossing movie of all time" translates to "The movie the world loves the most"

I agree with you on Twilight beating out Slumdog, that was insulting.

If you look back to the movies 10 years ago. any Sci-fi flicks just are not as awesome compared to today's, and the same will be true about today's movies as long as technology keeps progressing.

Gorilla Stomper
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
You got it backwards man, District 9 and the hurt locker were overrated. I mean they were decent movies but Avatar really was superior besides The numbers don't lie, "highest grossing movie of all time" translates to "The movie the world loves the most"

Lol wrong.

Highest grossing movie of all time translates to...*Drum roll* Highest grossing movie of all time. So a fuck load of people went to see it, that does not mean that Avatar isn't overrated... Because it is overrated.

Numbers do not mean shit, for example. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen grossed almost $850,000,000, and that was a terrible movie.

Also, if we take inflation into account (which I do) Gone With The Wind IS the highest grossing film of all time. The total gross with inflation is something ridiculous like 12.5Billion ($19Billion+)

So at the end of the day, the quality of a film and the total gross have nothing to do with eachother.

CodSteaks
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
i agree with what Euvel said about people berating it just BECAUSE it's so popular or made so much money. i have a friend who i'm pretty sure would love it, he loved the first transformers and called the opening scene "CG porn". if you like that kind of popcorn fluff entertainment, this should be right up your alley. but no, he says he doesn't even want to see it because of all the hype surrounding it. wtf is that about?
THF_Reborn's opinion i think is where the idea that this movie is overrated comes from. i loved this movie, and saw it in the theatre twice, but i would never try to sell it as the best movie ever made. that just diminishes the imagination and creativity that goes in to so many other movies that people have already mentioned on this thread that i would consider better films overall.
OT: since when did twilight beat slum dog millionaire? slum dog won best picture at the oscars. or are you talking about the MTV awards or teen choice or some other thing decided by morons?

DevilMaster18
04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Lol wrong.

Highest grossing movie of all time translates to...*Drum roll* Highest grossing movie of all time. So a fuck load of people went to see it, that does not mean that Avatar isn't overrated... Because it is overrated.

Numbers do not mean shit, for example. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen grossed almost $850,000,000, and that was a terrible movie.

Also, if we take inflation into account (which I do) Gone With The Wind IS the highest grossing film of all time. The total gross with inflation is something ridiculous like 12.5Billion ($19Billion+)

So at the end of the day, the quality of a film and the total gross have nothing to do with eachother.

I understand where you coming from, Hurt Locker was a good film but personally i think Avatar is better (i'm not a big fan of war films, but i did enjoy it, just like i enjoyed Saving Private Ryan).

I believe there are more people that likes sci-fi/adventure films than war films that's why it's more popular and had a higher gross rate, as well as nearly every age group can watch Avatar unlike Hurt Locker, for example if you give me the best film in the world let's just say Hurt Locker, i would pick Alien/s any day over Hurt Locker it's because i like sci-fi over war.

People say Avatar storyline is copied and whatsoever, but have they considered most films are copied nowadays...? Like Hurt Locker, tell me if it's the first war film ever made, if it's not then copied, but having similar storyline doesn't make a film bad like Avatar or Hurt Locker.

What make a film good is obviously the acting, how well the director had taken it, storyline, effects, intensity of the film etc... A storyline can be similar or even the same but if it's created brilliantly then it can topple any other similar films.

Like this film 'The Crazies' it is another zombie film but it's directed so well that it beats Resident Evil anyday - although i am a huge RS fan so i love watching it anyway lol.

HacksawDoomx187
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Lol wrong.

Thank you very much. I'm getting tired of people claiming money equals quality.
To quote Immortal Technique:
"'...cause if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck"
It may not apply directly, but I think you all can see how it relates.

shilbo-assassin
04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Exactly. Michael Bay makes films that generally are sh*t yet he must have grossed billions of dollars.

Some films which are regarded as great films didnt do well at the box office.
The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club for example.

DevilMaster18
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Exactly. Michael Bay makes films that generally are sh*t yet he must have grossed billions of dollars.

Some films which are regarded as great films didnt do well at the box office.
The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club for example.

I don't think you can compare Michael Bay to James Cameron. Michael Bay had made good films, and yes some are "generally" sh*t but there are more better ones than there is to sh*t (The Island, Bad Boys and Amityville Horror are pretty good).

Also, James Cameron is on another league to Michael Bay, the films James Cameron had created are often film of the year, in top 100 movie of all time as well as being quality to watch. Such as, The Terminator's, Escape from New York, Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic and lastly, of course Avatar.

Now, if you want to compare someone to James Cameron you have to use directors like Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino etc... By using Michael Bay as an example is a insult to the great man himself.

shilbo-assassin
04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't think you can compare Michael Bay to James Cameron. Michael Bay had made good films, and yes some are "generally" sh*t but there are more better ones than there is to sh*t (The Island, Bad Boys and Amityville Horror are pretty good).

Also, James Cameron is on another league to Michael Bay, the films James Cameron had created are often film of the year, in top 100 movie of all time as well as being quality to watch. Such as, The Terminator's, Escape from New York, Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic and lastly, of course Avatar.

Now, if you want to compare someone to James Cameron you have to use directors like Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino etc... By using Michael Bay as an example is a insult to the great man himself. I wasn't comparing them, I was using Michael Bay as an example as to why money doesnt necessarily = quality.

DevilMaster18
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I wasn't comparing them, I was using Michael Bay as an example as to why money doesnt necessarily = quality.

OK, then i agree with it, if you put it like this. I'm sure 6.5/10 times that a film with high gross rate is usually a great film to watch or even a top 100 film contender.

Like Clash of the Titans, it had high Gross Rate, film was good, not brilliant. Yet, it's great to watch and money well spent on the tickets. I must say 3-D wasn't all that, i should've bought 2D.

THF_Reborn
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Lol wrong.

I like how your evidence of avatar being overrated is "because it is overated", as well as your supporting example of transformers being a terrible movie with your evidence being "that was a terrible movie."

I'm still trying to determine your angle with the gone with the wind statistic, if Gone with the Wind was an overwhelmingly terrible movie I would understand, but Gone with the Wind is still considered one of the greatest movies made considering it was made in 1939 and is still present in many top 100and top 250 lists.

Your closing statement implies you proved something which you did not. The Amount of money a movie makes IS a great indicator of how good a movie is.

I can respect that some do not agree that Gross income is an indicator of a movies greatness, however, I must respectfully disagree with your conclusion

THF_Reborn
04-13-2010, 12:11 PM
i agree with what Euvel said about people berating it just BECAUSE it's so popular or made so much money. i have a friend who i'm pretty sure would love it, he loved the first transformers and called the opening scene "CG porn". if you like that kind of popcorn fluff entertainment, this should be right up your alley. but no, he says he doesn't even want to see it because of all the hype surrounding it. wtf is that about?
THF_Reborn's opinion i think is where the idea that this movie is overrated comes from. i loved this movie, and saw it in the theatre twice, but i would never try to sell it as the best movie ever made. that just diminishes the imagination and creativity that goes in to so many other movies that people have already mentioned on this thread that i would consider better films overall.
OT: since when did twilight beat slum dog millionaire? slum dog won best picture at the oscars. or are you talking about the MTV awards or teen choice or some other thing decided by morons?

Nah, let's never give a movie the 10/10 rating, let's never let a sports team beat another and let's just eliminate competition altogether, It just not fair to the losing team! lol We are a competitive species and to restrict the use of a perfect rating to protect other movies and/or other people is laughable in my opinion. I Respect your opinion on this issue but just can't see the logic in not reviewing a movie I found exciting, flawless and visually striking a 10/10

DevilMaster18
04-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Nah, let's never give a movie the 10/10 rating, let's never let a sports team beat another and let's just eliminate competition altogether, It just not fair to the losing team! lol We are a competitive species and to restrict the use of a perfect rating to protect other movies and/or other people is laughable in my opinion. I Respect your opinion on this issue but just can't see the logic in not reviewing a movie I found exciting, flawless and visually striking a 10/10

Exactly, 2 out of 10 people rate Avatar as a rip off film yet they didn't say it was 'bad', deep down in their heart they know Avatar is a good film they just trying to eliminate the thought of a film that is successful, good and has high gross rate, this we call denial - when something too good to be true had prove you wrong, that's why they trying to degrade the film by comparing 2 totally different films and also changing the topic of the thread.

There is no need to compare Hurt Locker and Avatar, the thread indicates only 'Do you think Avatar is overrated' and not 'Avatar vs Hurt Locker'.

The reasons they've used to judge a film is very poor, i can understand if it's terrible acting, poor quotes/scripts, badly directed. But, the complaints they've been venting over and over again are "Avatar copied Pocahontas", if they can honestly name any new film/s that doesn't contain similar storyline then fair enough, but if they can't, just stop flaming the thread with your irrelevant comments.

If they want to moan and complain so bad, go open another thread and say "why you hate Avatar" and not this one.

So, by copying do you mean let's say the first film ever had a person wearing shoes, does that mean if any future film contains a person wearing shoes, is theoretically 'copying'?

Judge a film properly, and don't judge it with some pathetic reasons.

PS. i'm not saying which Avatar or Hurt Locker is better, i'm just simply saying don't vent your anger on this thread as it doesn't suggest or mentioned you in doing so. If you hate it, hate it. There's nothing you can do or change, just accept it and move on or take your anger to another post that asks your opinion about the film.

MrBubbles x360a
04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Lol most threads seem to just turn into trolling wars anyways despite what the main topic is about.

And when I made the thread I never said Avatar was unoriginal, just blown out of proportions.

I'm just glad I made a thread with so many posts! :woop:

Gorilla Stomper
04-14-2010, 01:38 AM
The Amount of money a movie makes IS a great indicator of how good a movie is.

I'm about one step away from getting caps-lock rage.

EDIT: I'm not even going to ask why you think that. You're wrong, end of story.

By the way, I don't think Avatar is a bad movie... At all, but it is overrated. Too much hype.

Illution
04-14-2010, 01:45 AM
terrible acting, poor quotes/scripts, badly directed.

These are the reasons why this movie is bad. Accept it.

THF_Reborn
04-14-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm about one step away from getting caps-lock rage.

EDIT: I'm not even going to ask why you think that. You're wrong, end of story.

By the way, I don't think Avatar is a bad movie... At all, but it is overrated. Too much hype.

Top 10 highest grossing movies IMDb Rating
1 Avatar 8.5
2 Titanic 7.3
3 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 8.8
4 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 7.3
5 The Dark Knight 8.9
6 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 7.2
7 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 7.0
8 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 7.4
9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 7.3
10 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 8.7
---
Average 7.8
Min Rating 7.0
Not 1 Movie rated below 7/10
Again the numbers don't lie
The amount of money a movie make is a great indicator of how good it is.
Case Closed

Terrible acting? Point out where they went wrong, there must be a few events you can direct us to that would help prove your point.

Poor Quotes/Script? Again, Point out what was said or what could have been done better.

Badly directed? How so? An example would be nice.

Someone could have not seen the movie and still have given a review with the same level of detail as you, you should be able to describe a few problems seeing as you had such a negative reaction to this movie.

Tgisme
04-14-2010, 03:41 AM
This movie was highly overrated. Mediocre acting with a lame plot, if it didn't have James Cameron's name on it, this movie wouldn't have been worth shit.

DevilMaster18
04-14-2010, 10:21 AM

It's very apparent that your judgmental skills are terribly bad. I don't know how've a person like you can give critics about a film when you obviously don't understand the principle of 'good' or 'bad'.

So, let me just name few films that are good, Aliens, Terminator, E.T, Jurassic Park, LOTR, Star Wars - 2 of which is directed by James Cameron.

But, you'll say it's all bad because they not up to your standards, the type of films you call 'good' is probably Disaster Movie, Son of the Mask, Alone in the Dark.

Calling Avatar bad is denial, calling Avatar the best film also denial, but calling Avatar a good/great film is neither underrating or overrating it.

DevilMaster18
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
This movie was highly overrated. Mediocre acting with a lame plot, if it didn't have James Cameron's name on it, this movie wouldn't have been worth shit.

The gross of it was overrated, but acting was great. Also no, if James Cameron didn't direct it, it'll still be great. Look at Paranormal Activity, it's directed by some unknown person and now look how successful and good the film is.

Mediocre acting?! You must of watched a different film, you're pretty much saying Sigourney Weaver one of the best leading female actress of all time is acting at mediocre level? You sir, are disrespectful and have a very big problem in judging the skills of acting. I'm not sure what film you'd call 'great' but i don't want to hear it, it's probably going to be terrible or you just going to name the top 10 movies of all time.

shilbo-assassin
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
The gross of it was overrated, but acting was great. Also no, if James Cameron didn't direct it, it'll still be great. Look at Paranormal Activity, it's directed by some unknown person and now look how successful and good the film is.

Mediocre acting?! You must of watched a different film, you're pretty much saying Sigourney Weaver one of the best leading female actress of all time is acting at mediocre level? You sir, are disrespectful and have a very big problem in judging the skills of acting. I'm not sure what film you'd call 'great' but i don't want to hear it, it's probably going to be terrible or you just going to name the top 10 movies of all time.

The acting was so good it didnt receive any acting awards. Come on, the acting and script were weak. Weaver was ok, but if the acting was so good why didnt anyone even get nominated for any acting awards?

Gorilla Stomper
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Again the numbers don't lie
The amount of money a movie make is a great indicator of how good it is.
Case Closed

That's it, I can't debate this with you any longer, you're obviously a fucking idiot and an Avatar fanboy.

Illution
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
It's very apparent that your judgmental skills are terribly bad. I don't know how've a person like you can give critics about a film when you obviously don't understand the principle of 'good' or 'bad'.

So, let me just name few films that are good, Aliens, Terminator, E.T, Jurassic Park, LOTR, Star Wars - 2 of which is directed by James Cameron.

But, you'll say it's all bad because they not up to your standards, the type of films you call 'good' is probably Disaster Movie, Son of the Mask, Alone in the Dark.

Calling Avatar bad is denial, calling Avatar the best film also denial, but calling Avatar a good/great film is neither underrating or overrating it. Your ignorance astounds me! Don't come at me with your vicious attacks, snapping your gerbil-like mouth while it's full of peanuts!

I watched the movie once the weekend it first came out. If you really want me to cite examples, give me 2 weeks and I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD. I'll torrent the beezy, but I'll still watch it. I'm surprised people are honestly defending this like it's their cub and they're it's mother! Get a hold of yourselves, people! It's just a movie! Not even I defend a movie I love to the death, 'cause ya know what? To each their own.

However, alone in the dark was a GREAT piece of cinema. Lie to yourself more that it was garbage 'cause it was directed by Uwe Boll, had no plot whatsoever, couldn't grip you, and grossed like 2 dollars in the box office.

I seriously don't buy how people can think this movie is great in any form except visually. To every sense but sight this movie is atrocious. My aunt is a writer and she said this thing has garbage writing. So ha, ha I win :)

Marcus issavage
04-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Calling Avatar bad is denial, calling Avatar the best film also denial, but calling Avatar a good/great film is neither underrating or overrating it.
I don't mind that Avatar is so successful but I personally saw nothing in it. It bored me and I personally can careless about visuals in a movie. I don't mind if other people like it, but because I thought it sucked I'm in denial? Some people didn't like it, it's the same with every movie.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't mind that Avatar is so successful but I personally saw nothing in it. It bored me and I personally can careless about visuals in a movie. I don't mind if other people like it, but because I thought it sucked I'm in denial? Some people didn't like it, it's the same with every movie.

That's entirely different, you thinking it sucks is fine. Because you actually didn't like it.

But, saying it's crap because of lame reasons is in denial.

Vonzipper
04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
That's entirely different, you thinking it sucks is fine. Because you actually didn't like it.

But, saying it's crap because of lame reasons is in denial.

Agreed.

Avatar is a good movie. That has been proven by it's record breaking success and stunning advancement in visuals, there is no doubt about it. But I can understand there will always be people who it just doesn't appeal to and I respect the fact that they don't like the movie. The lame reasons they give aren't enough to justify that this is a bad movie.

It's like a debate there was yesterday on these forums somewhere about how people say good games suck. It's only their personal opinion and does not mean that the game/movie/whatever actually sucks.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Your ignorance astounds me! Don't come at me with your vicious attacks, snapping your gerbil-like mouth while it's full of peanuts!

I watched the movie once the weekend it first came out. If you really want me to cite examples, give me 2 weeks and I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD. I'll torrent the beezy, but I'll still watch it. I'm surprised people are honestly defending this like it's their cub and they're it's mother! Get a hold of yourselves, people! It's just a movie! Not even I defend a movie I love to the death, 'cause ya know what? To each their own.

However, alone in the dark was a GREAT piece of cinema. Lie to yourself more that it was garbage 'cause it was directed by Uwe Boll, had no plot whatsoever, couldn't grip you, and grossed like 2 dollars in the box office.

I seriously don't buy how people can think this movie is great in any form except visually. To every sense but sight this movie is atrocious. My aunt is a writer and she said this thing has garbage writing. So ha, ha I win :)

Your aunt is a writer therefore the film is garbage, and you win? That's the biggest nonsense i've heard.

You're judging the film base on your aunt? Wow, you can't make your own decisions, or is it too difficult?

It's definitely the worst excuse i've read about a film being bad, because your aunt said so...

You said it's great visually, so it's not completely bad. I enjoyed the film and accepted it, you guys trash talking about the film like there's no tomorrow, it's not the best in the world, but why does it deserve so much hatred? Not even Disaster movie recieved as much hatred as this film even though Avatar is 1000x's better than Disaster Movie...

PS - My aunt also is a writer and she said it's not garbage. So ha, ha i win ;)

My dad loves drinking beer and he said cola taste like garbage, does that mean cola is garbage? No.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
The acting was so good it didnt receive any acting awards. Come on, the acting and script were weak. Weaver was ok, but if the acting was so good why didnt anyone even get nominated for any acting awards?

You should really do some research before commenting... These are the guys who got nominated, i've done some researching for you...

Nominations

Best Actor - Sam Worthington (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0941777/)
Best Actress - Zoe Saldana (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0757855/)
Best Supporting Actor - Stephen Lang (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002332/)
Best Supporting Actress - Sigourney Weaver (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/)

Who won

Visit website for more nominations - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/awards

What Avatar achieved - Won 3 Oscars. Another 28 wins & 53 nominations

The thing i don't understand why you guys hate it so much when it had been nominated alongside with the best film of the year like Sherlock Holmes, Hurt Locker, The Informant etc...

If professional film critics put it alongside with the best films and had many nominations for it, why are you guys saying it's bad? Even though none of us are a percent as good as a professional film critic - especially for major films, they're most definitely more skilled and wiser than any professional critic.

The professional critics most likely spent many years in university studying how to become a good critic getting their degrees, masters and doctorates etc... and yet we normal people are saying they're wrong?

Score from IMDB - User Rating: 8.5/10 (220,261 votes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/ratings)) that's 220k+ user's in the World rated it around 8.5.

Here there's around 5 people said it's bad whereas the other 220,261 people said it's good.

Around 5 people say it's bad VS 220,261 people say it's good, as you can clearly see who wins.

Statistics shows that overall of the people say it's good including professional critics.

I can honestly tell you that i rather trust the other 220k people with their opinions including professional critics than the 5+ of you saying it's bad.

shilbo-assassin
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
You should really do some research before commenting... These are the guys who got nominated, i've done some researching for you...

Nominations

Best Actor - Sam Worthington (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0941777/)
Best Supporting Actor - Stephen Lang (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002332/)
Best Supporting Actress - Sigourney Weaver (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000244/)
Who won

Visit website for more nominations - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/awards

What Avatar achieved - Won 3 Oscars. Another 28 wins & 53 nominations

The thing i don't understand why you guys hate it so much when it had been nominated alongside with the best film of the year like Sherlock Holmes, Hurt Locker, The Informant etc...

If professional film critics put it alongside with the best films and had many nominations for it, why are you guys saying it's bad? Even though none of us are a percent as good as a professional film critic - especially for major films, they're most definitely more skilled and wiser than any professional critic.

The professional critics most likely spent many years in university studying how to become a good critic getting their degrees, masters and doctorates etc... and yet we normal people are saying they're wrong?

Score from IMDB - User Rating: 8.5/10 (220,261 votes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/ratings)) that's 220k+ user's in the World rated it around 8.5.

Here there's around 5 people said it's bad whereas the other 220,261 people said it's good.

Around 5 people say it's bad VS 220,261 people say it's good, as you can clearly see who wins.

Statistics shows that overall of the people say it's good including professional critics.

I can honestly tell you that i rather trust the other 220k people with their opinions including professional critics than the 5+ of you saying it's bad.

None of the actors were nominated for major Awards (i.e - the Oscars) for THIS film, are you serious??
The Empire Award?? Give me a break.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 12:52 PM
None of the actors were nominated for major Awards (i.e - the Oscars) for THIS film, are you serious??
The Empire Award?? Give me a break.

Still, you said they didn't get nominated or win any awards so i listed some. Next time try to be more specific, it's not my fault that you didn't ask properly. Like i said previously, 220k+ people rate it 8.5 / 10 and around 5 of you here rate it bad.

shilbo-assassin
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Still, you only asked for awards. Like i said previously, 220k+ people rate it 8.5 / 10 and around 5 of you here rate it bad. I don't think it's a bad film as such but it was certainly wasn't great either. The acting was average, the script was embarassing for a film that had 8 years to get a decent one. So many cliched lines and well, even 7 years olds knew how the film would unfold after 5 minutes.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's a bad film as such but it was certainly wasn't great either. The acting was average, the script was embarassing for a film that had 8 years to get a decent one. So many cliched lines and well, even 7 years olds knew how the film would unfold after 5 minutes.

There you go then, that's what i'm trying to say. You guys don't actually hate it yet anger is making your decisions that's why your saying it's bad.

You just said there, "it's not a bad film" and it's enjoyable to watch (for me) but some of the comments you guys said earlier wasn't doing the film any justice.

I can understand anyone if they say the film is cr*p, because they don't like it, then fine. But saying it's terrible it's bit excessive (film i call terrible are Son of the Mask, Disaster Movie etc...).

In honesty, it's a good film to watch with friends/family or even alone.

Let's just say this film is not as bad as you guys make it sound. If it was actually that bad then it wouldn't of even have a rating of 8.5 / 10 (220k+ user votes) and in the top 100s films on IMDB - come on, that in no shape or form indicates Avatar is a bad film if it made it to the top 100.

Marcus issavage
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
^ Why would calling it terrible be excessive? I mean I didn't think it was terrible but it was pretty crappy, yet I know of other people who thought it was terrible. Would they be lying to say it's terrible?

Illution
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't understand sarcasm and I can't reply to a whole post because I read one line at the bottom and that's obviously that person's reason for justifying what they said. Cola is better than beer?! ARE YOU MAD?! Wait, I think it was beer is better than cola, right? I'm too lazy to check..

Allow me to pummel something into your brain, yes? Avatar is NOT a good movie. It's accepted by the masses, that does NOT equal it being a good movie. Kay? Good. I hope you actually understand that. I.E Lots of Californians smoke pot, that does NOT make it a good thing to do. Actually it would be better to say that most 9 year olds drink Berry Punch, but that doesn't make it a good drink (in terms of healthiness and flavor).

Sooo Avatar appeals to the average person who doesn't like to think at the cinema (others, too, I know, you're all smart and like Avatar, we get it) but the 200 million other people that watched it were entranced by the pretty colors. I'm exaggerating but don't worry about it.

K Avatar does not have a good script. Honestly? You think it does? Its lack of originality is appalling, it has holes up the wazoo (ironyyy) and it's boring. The whole movie is a giant 2 hour film fest of predictability that takes forever to get to where it's going, which we figured out 1 hour and 56 minutes ago.

The characters are all one dimensional. The way they tried to get me to feel sympathy for whats his face disgusted me because he was in a wheelchair. Honestly? I don't care. Go into the Avatar 'cause it's your job, not because you want to change your life 'cause your sad you lost your legs because you chose to join the military and paid the price for it. Freaking stupid. Sigourney Weaver's character was honestly the best and most fun to watch. I really enjoyed her performance in this but everyone else was so... simple and stereotypical. Heck, even she was. She just did a really good job at acting. Sam worthington didn't give me ANYTHING!!! I couldn't empathize with the guy at all. Matter of fact he's a freaking retard. That's all I have to say. The blue people... Yeah, I know it's "hard and stuff for people to sympathize with blue people that's why this movie gets so much criticism 'cause they're not humans and HUMANS ARE HORRIBLE@!!!!1#"
Well uhh no. They're hard to relate to because they're contradictory dodo birds. They're supposed to be a peace loving society and yet they value warriors above all else and they're freaking brutal, dude. Why were they shooting poison arrows and stuff if they want peace? Theoretically, a peaceful society should get over it and move on. Listen to the humans at least! Negotiations are pretty cool things. I KNOW they knew how to negotiate, how else would they get over the time of great sorrow or whatever-the-cliche it was called?

Why didn't the humans fight semi-intelligently? Yes, let's run into the thick rain forest like it's vietnam. Wait, this is 200 years after that! Have we learned our lesson? NO!!! Absolutely no realism there.

I didn't see anything special about the directing. Fact of the matter is nothing in this movie stands out except visually, and people know it.

/rage

DevilMaster18
04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm seemingly in denial but i'm going to deny i'm in denial. I don't believe other people have the rights to judge a film except myself, and people who dislike the film.

/rage

Overall statistic from IMDB is enough to end this argument. Your opinions doesn't change the fact that more people rate Avatar highly, and you didn't. It was so predictable yet you watched the entire film, ok...? If i was in your position i would of walked out ages ago.

Obviously, you're not the one to judge a film, as you mentioned most Californians smoke pot - this very instance whilst i'm typing you're probably high (jk).

Your analogy is so wrong and too over the top. Your basically saying, the mass of the population saying the film is great yet it doesn't mean a thing? I see, don't think to highly of yourself and call people average when we're all average.

You can judge a film how you like, that's fair i accept your point of views but what you've said will never change the rating of what people had given for Avatar which is currently 8.5 / 10.

Also, what are you implying that mass of the population goes in and don't think at the cinema? To clarify it you're pretty much saying, everyone who likes it are retards but the people who hates it are the clever ones? That is very uncalled for, position yourself so highly above everyone else is too big headed.

Remember professional critics gave it a 'great film', you're not a professional critic or even a trained critic. Yes, your opinion will always be with you and i know you'll stand by your words but just don't forget a small percentage of the population hates it but a even larger population likes it.

No matter what you say, what you do, what mistakes you've found - you cannot change the fact that over 220k people had voted it so highly and only you and the other, idk... 10-15% (?) of the 220k that hates it.

Please don't reply and go "the 220k of people don't have brain, they didn't think, they're not being truthful to themself, they're getting paid or they accidentally rated it so highly etc...", i'm sick and tired of your excuses - saying that mass population of the people voted it but it doesn't mean a thing! You wouldn't say that would you?! If 220k people gave it a 1.5 out of 10 would you?!

So, what's the rating for if it doesn't mean a thing to you? Do you even understand what the purpose of rating is for? If not let me explain, after a person had finished watching a film they go on IMDB and rate it from 1 being the worse and 10 being perfect, and yes these people had watched the film and no they do have brains and did think, now i hope you understood more on how the rating system works.

As you've noticed it's current rating is 8.5 stars / 10, which means it had consistently been given a high rating, you got that? OK, if you work it out mathematically, it means from the 220k+ users, not everyone had rated it 8.5, each user had given their own rating so what that means is that yes some people like you had given it 1's but the rating system will average the rating up and produce the final rating score from every individual person who had rated it - still with me? Let me work it out for you below so you'll understand a little more on how the rating system works.

For example, you rated it 1, i rated it 7, 5 others rated it at 8 = 6.857 out of 10. This process is being used for IMDB which means no, not everyone on IMDB had rated it above 6's, a lot have rated it below that but overall from the 220k+ user's the score averaged out to 8.5 of 10.

So, before you say mass population doesn't count, well... i'm pretty sure it does! You're part of the population aren't you? So, if your rating (comments) counts why don't the others count? Also, no, you're not the only brainy one that can judge a film in the world, there are millions of others that can also judge a film and a lot of them are on IMDB (yes... a lot of people who hates it are also on IMDB as well).

Illution
04-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Overall statistic from IMDB is enough to end this argument. Your opinions doesn't change the fact that more people rate Avatar highly, and you didn't. It was so predictable yet you watched the entire film, ok...? If i was in your position i would of walked out ages ago. Hey, Illution NEVER walks out of a movie.

Obviously, you're not the one to judge a film, as you mentioned most Californians smoke pot - this very instance whilst i'm typing you're probably high (jk).

Thousands of lines of not understanding what Illution was trying to say.
Hey, I was not high. I take offense to that you dirty pilgrim. That was a joke, don't take it offensively!!!

Look, I get that over 200 thousand people voted it a good movie. That's cool. But overall approval doesn't make something good. I still don't see how you don't realize that. Yes, it's a good film to watch, but it's not a good film! It's written simple, acted mediocre, and keeps you in the safe zone. That's what movies that appeal to the masses do. Okay, maybe I should say it wasn't well made, not that it's not a good film. Which, in my opinion, it isn't. Regardless, I can't argue an opinion with you. I don't even know why I try. I've facepalmed like 80 times in this argument.

And NOOO I wasn't putting myself on a high horse (horses scare me, actually), I was simply saying that the movie doesn't test the waters or anything. It just stays there... in the kiddie pool. Most of the people that I've talked to say "Oh my gosh but the visuals are so amazing! 3D was incredible!!", so I assume that most people think the same way. I apologize that I didn't realize you found this film's script, acting, and everything else about it oscar worthy.

I'm seemingly in denial but i'm going to deny i'm in denial. I don't believe other people have the rights to judge a film except myself, and people who dislike the film.

/rage
REALLY?

... Please, explain to me how you're not doing the EXACT same thing as me?

eviltb
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
If you guys wanna argue over this on PM fine, but dont do it in the public forum. Thanks.