PDA

View Full Version : Guide worth buying?

slyweasel2
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I paid off my FFXIII preorder at Gamestop today. The guy tried to sell me on the guide at $24.99 and said once they are sold out, they are gone.

Is the guide even worth getting? Can't I just look online, even on launch day?

The mini guide for preordering looks pretty thorough so I am unsure.

Help me out?

blitz7287
03-07-2010, 07:07 PM
i think its just a waste of $24.99 when everything you'll ever need for this game will be on here within a week or two of it launching

TakahashiDemon
03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
If you can purchase online, go to Amazon they have it much cheaper than that.

TheDeadspace
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I like buying strategy guides when I get into RPG's. I know that the same information is available for free online, but I just prefer having a hard copy I can refer to when I'm away from a computer.

Tri Force95
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
If you can purchase online, go to Amazon they have it much cheaper than that.

This, or just look up stuff on the internet. Anyone who has it now will probably help you with stuff.

slyweasel2
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I think I am just going to use this site to its fullest. Worst that happens is I have to ask a question or two.

Thanks for the input

theIncredible
03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
i think its just a waste of $24.99 when everything you'll ever need for this game will be on here within a week or two of it launching

Agreed. Guides are pretty much worthless these days.

Kai Freefall
03-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I like buying strategy guides when I get into RPG's. I know that the same information is available for free online, but I just prefer having a hard copy I can refer to when I'm away from a computer.

Glad to see im not the only person who does this ;)

darquesyde
03-08-2010, 01:13 AM
The guy tried to sell me on the guide at $24.99 and said once they are sold out, they are gone.

I really hate how some of the Gamestop employees work to make you buy stuff (not all of them though so no flaming) but once they are sold out there will be plenty at other Gamestops, or Best Buy, or Amazon...

But yeah, all the info and locations will be listed somewhere online in the next week. At that price I'd have to questions buying it though, it's cool to have a hard copy but at $60US and having a guide at $25 you are spending $85 to play the game. But you have to becareful in that all guides don't necessary have all the info needed in them, Halo 3's was laking the skull locations - so you had to wind up seeking them on the intenet anyway.

TakahashiDemon
03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I really hate how some of the Gamestop employees work to make you buy stuff (not all of them though so no flaming) but once they are sold out there will be plenty at other Gamestops, or Best Buy, or Amazon...

But yeah, all the info and locations will be listed somewhere online in the next week. At that price I'd have to questions buying it though, it's cool to have a hard copy but at $60US and having a guide at $25 you are spending $85 to play the game. But you have to becareful in that all guides don't necessary have all the info needed in them, Halo 3's was laking the skull locations - so you had to wind up seeking them on the intenet anyway.

Generally the people who make this guide are very good, they contain some very good walkthroughs and have every monster/stats listed.

AfroHarrison
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Though I didn't buy it, I had a guy try the same thing on me, except he tried to sell me a collector's edition guide book as well, it was like $40. Does anyone know the difference between the two guides or is it just another way to scam money?

TakahashiDemon
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Collector's is Hardback, Normal is not hardback, its simply the same thing inside, collector's may have some art pages in it though, I don't know, as FFXII's both of them were pretty much the same.

Tidus755
03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
You can get the CE edition for $25 and the normal at like $18 on Amazon.ca

Probably cheaper at Amazon.com since it'll be in USD instead of CAD

ShermanJames
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I pre-ordered both the game and the CE guide. I have found that with the guides i can get all the info i need without getting up to go to my comp. (My laptop power cord destroyed itself like 6 months ago)

Not to mention most "guides" on the net make me go to 4 or 5 different pages to find what i am looking for. Example: Fighting boss X, refer to boss battle section on page 43675465789 of this guide for details on how to win this fight.

And honestly, they really are coffee table books if you get the collectors ones. Both my FFXIII one and my ME2 one are going to be sitting on my coffee table for people to read.

And most of the time, the people who made the guides are better at everything that the people who play the game, so there strategies work first time, where as user strategies may or may not work.

Sherms

AfroHarrison
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Collector's is Hardback, Normal is not hardback, its simply the same thing inside, collector's may have some art pages in it though, I don't know, as FFXII's both of them were pretty much the same.

Thanks for the help. maybe if it becomes cheaper I may pick it up for my Final Fantasy collection.

Jenneke88
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
My game came with a guide. Paid 65 euro. The guide's pretty useful and doesn't spoil the story. But if you have to pay 60 USD and 25 USD for game and guide than don't get it. The info will show online anyways.

drewmart
03-08-2010, 05:14 PM
If the guide is anything like the FFXII collectors edition, I'll be happy enough. The thing looks amazing.

TheDeadspace
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Actually, the Collecter's Edition of XII was hardback, with an embossed leather cover. It's badass.

verybadloser
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I can't see how guides that come out the same day as the game, can possibly be that helpful, after 1-2 weeks when people have actually completed the game, their strats will far out way some game companies idea of how to play the game. Just from reading the magazines at work they are full of shit. There was a book with one of them that claimed '5000 easy gamer points' and it was like a list of 5 games which included fight night 4.... yeah easy 1000g that one...

Bofur26
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Same here I have a bookshelf full of guides for my games.. Collect them and use them when I pull out the old games.

Here is the preview of the Final FantasyŽ XIII Collector's Edition Guide
http://piggybackinteractive.com/en/

ruin3d
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
i'd say no. This is a map of every level for the first 20 hours

START-----------------------------------+------------------BOSS

Slight exageration but it is totally linear. if you see a side path there is a chest in it, otherwise run from one end to the other.

All you need a guide for is the upgrade info and boss strategies and the ones on Gamefaqs.com got me past everything hard so far.

Even when the game opens out you can't really miss anything major, all the main weapons are either really obvious chests on story missions or rewards from sub quests.

The puzzle solving / exploration difficulty of this game is about 1/10

It is the boss fights that are a bitch especially come disc three where the game seems to auto enable 'bitch slap mode' and you get used to 1 shot deaths.

:Bounce:

optics
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd buy the guide if it has more than just a walkthrough and side quests. I could care less about the walkthrough and stuff, but it all depends on the extra content (not stickers or tattoos). Like if it had a few pages of character profile+weapons instead of 1 or half the page. Some back story for the game. Then yeah, I'd buy it.

TakahashiDemon
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I'd buy the guide if it has more than just a walkthrough and side quests. I could care less about the walkthrough and stuff, but it all depends on the extra content (not stickers or tattoos). Like if it had a few pages of character profile+weapons instead of 1 or half the page. Some back story for the game. Then yeah, I'd buy it.

Piggyback normally have 1 page dedciated to each character if they are main ones. Then the others get like half a page each.

BMXguy32289
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
ok the game has 3 disc you would be retarded not to get the guide. i have the guide for oblivion and fallout 3, helped me out quite a bit. the only time i needed the internet was for future dlc collecting achievements etc. i hate collecting crap! you miss one thing then you gotta play the whole game again. aka dante's inferno...glad i didnt buy that game. if you can 1000 a game in under 15hrs you wasted your money period.

Tsukasa117
03-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Typically I would say no because usually all the info you need for the game will be on this site in less then a week from game release but its FF and you can get the collectors edition strat guide for half retail price on amazon if your a prime member and I'm a fan of hardcover so i have it ordered and it'll come in tommorow. But if its not a matter of wanting info on the missions and a more visual explanation of the game I'd recommend it otherwise just give the forums time and you'll have all the info you need.

SonOfSparda
03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
In the ages of internet is buying guide kinda useless, but if you are a collector go for it :), but 25$ is not good deal..

Spike hostile17
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
The guide is not compulsory to get every achievement, I got all trophies when there was no guide, but it is very pleasant to have maps with items and a lot of information you don't necessary have on websites. I never buy guides, except for FF games, it can be either helpful if you don't want to miss anything (even a single Gil) or simply a collectible if you are a FF fan and you want to know all about the story and characters. For sure, you may find maps and walkthrough on websites if you take time to search, but it's not as handy as the official guide. Also, the quality of this guide is better than previous FF ones.

ezekiel 08
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

I do this too. FF guides are just so pretty, more than most others. You will always get more info from a guide you buy than an online one. Sure sometime they are missing info but the wealth of the info that's there is far worth the small asking price.

Just remember some novels cost even more than that and they are just works of fiction that can't help you in any game!

neverendr
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I got the collectors edition guide...I prefer hardcover for longer games because the softcover ones won't stay open when I try to lay them in front of me on the bed when I'm playing, and they tend to break at the spine and generally fall apart. The hardcover one does have some extra art, it's printed on super thick high quality paper, it includes a full rundown of the games story including all the side stuff in case you miss anything & each book is sequentially numbered. There's only one print run of the hardcover, I guarantee it'll be worth more than you paid in a few years on eBay - I sold an extra FFVII guide I had for $125 last year :)

Don't be fooled by the gamestop people saying that the regular edition will sell out...they'll continue printing them until there's no further demand.

xAHAx Skywalker
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't usually get guides for games, I use online when needed. However, I was at my local EB Games (Gamestop) and saw the guide, so I flipped through it. It seemed pretty detailed, so I thought maybe I should get it.

Then the manager showed me the CE and the hardcover made it seem more epic (strange Im sure) so I decided to order that one. For a guide, it is a thing of beauty.