PDA

View Full Version : Dragonforce NES plagiarists

ApochWeiss
03-08-2010, 05:41 AM
I got a copy of the 2010 reissue of Dragonforce: Valley of the Damned a few days ago and I'm listening to it. After seeing them live, I lost a LOT of respect for them, but after listening to this album closely, I lost MORE respect for them. I hit up youtube to find I'm not the only one who noticed this, and a video has been made available.

If you own Valley of the Damned, you have heard the solo about 3:20 into the song Black Fire. Sound familiar? I sat here with the CD paused and kept humming the music I remember from my childhood until it hit me.

Double...fuckin'...Dragon...

YouTube- Dragonforce song using Double Dragon theme

So...Dragonforce...plagiarists who can't play their own shit live and blame the audience and set designs when they fuck up.

Massa Siggy
03-08-2010, 05:46 AM
I lost respect for them the first time I heard one of their songs.

And I guess you can only randomly hit frets at light speed so many ways before it becomes a retro game theme :p

ApochWeiss
03-08-2010, 06:17 AM
I lost respect for them the first time I heard one of their songs.

And I guess you can only randomly hit frets at light speed so many ways before it becomes a retro game theme :p

Haha, this is true. Honestly I had some respect for these guys until I saw 'em when they toured with Daath and Cynic. They seriously blamed the one guy int he audience every time they fucked up because he didn't bring them a beer, as well as the set design. They are so atrocious live it's hard to respect them at all. But, when they actually pull off Through The Fire And The Flames? Epic. All I gotta say haha.

I just never noticed this until now and figured maybe some fans on here didn't notice it either. I also wonder how they feel about it...I'm clearly none too pleased.

Plus I'm sure that there are more NES elements in there that we're not noticing due to the speed. It's like you said, it's inevitable.

BarbaricGoose
03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Dude.. You should've named the topic Double Dragonforce.

Anyhoo.. I've never been particularly fond of Dragonforce, anyway, so this doesn't really surprise me. I think I'll just go on with my day. :)

ApochWeiss
03-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Dude.. You should've named the topic Double Dragonforce.

Anyhoo.. I've never been particularly fond of Dragonforce, anyway, so this doesn't really surprise me. I think I'll just go on with my day. :)

Yeah, I realized it after I clicked submit ><

Starstrukk X360A
03-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Woah; the resemblance. It's like Double Dragon if the music designers were like "Know what? Screw this Midi crap. Let's get some damn guitars in this."

dmf087
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
All of their music sounds like something out of a friggin video game to me cause of all the studio editing so this doesn't shock me at all.

I already lost what little respect I had for them after having the misfortune of seeing them live last year. What a damn disaster that was.

Sir Pengin
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I saw dragonforce and i really didn't have a problem with them, they played a tight set and were very amusing.

As for the double dragon it sounds very aesthetically pleasing, could have possibly been written the same way, you know humming perfectly for the right notes.

Joker0fLife
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM
That song I think is in another NES game too. I want to say River City Ransom during a boss fight or on World Cup Soccer....or maybe even GI JOE...I don't own double dragon, but it sounds so familiar at 1:54 on..

Purge
03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I can only imagine them creating the song..

"Alright lets see what we get when we type in dragon song into youtube.. ah double dragon! That sounds promising!" :p

Tussell
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all.

They're a terrible band in the studio, and 100x worse live. It doesn't surprise me that they need the help of a 1988 NES game to make music.

Fuck you Dragonforce, and everything you stand for.

The Ultrafiend
03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
YouTube- Herman Ri and Sam Totman guitar lesson parody

Now rook what happen ren I take foot off pedal... okay, better put back on.

i m redshark
03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
I personally am not a fan of Dragonforce, but I do have Through the Fire and Flames on my iPod. It's an amazing song in my eyes, my brother is a HUGE Dragonforce fan though. I can't wait to show him this, I like to give him shit about them being terrible

RazorSharpshot
03-09-2010, 01:07 AM
LMFAO at the video above, i LOL'd for a good 2 minutes.

elephantd
03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Ehh it's hard to find orginal stuff now days anyways. Haven't listened to enough Dragonforce to know weather I like them or not.

Tussell
03-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Ehh it's hard to find orginal stuff now days anyways. Haven't listened to enough Dragonforce to know weather I like them or not.
Trust me, you don't like them. :)

elephantd
03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Trust me, you don't like them. :)

Trusted. lol

dm master
03-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I saw dragonforce and i really didn't have a problem with them, they played a tight set and were very amusing.

As for the double dragon it sounds very aesthetically pleasing, could have possibly been written the same way, you know humming perfectly for the right notes.

This was my experence in their latest tour,

Had a very good time and they had a good mix of support,

Ill let them have a few mistakes because they have good showmanship and I caught a pick :)

ApochWeiss
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I was always a fan of Dragonforce. I LOVED Sonic Firestorm when it hit, but not so much anything else past that. It was clear they did too much studio editing after it, though Through The Fire And The Flames was a great song. I saw videos of them ACTUALLY NAIL IT live and it was intense. But, when I saw them, they butchered it horribly. If I remember correctly the one guitarist actually gave up for 5 seconds during the solo and shook his head. He then LITERALLY blamed the guy at the bar for not bringing the beer he asked for. The vocalist then went off and included the stage design and "scolded" the design crew, who pointed out it was THEIR design and he shut the hell up haha.

Lost A LOT of respect for 'em. I still enjoy Sonic Firestorm and some of Valley of the Damned, but I won't see them live again.

elephantd
03-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I was always a fan of Dragonforce. I LOVED Sonic Firestorm when it hit, but not so much anything else past that. It was clear they did too much studio editing after it, though Through The Fire And The Flames was a great song. I saw videos of them ACTUALLY NAIL IT live and it was intense. But, when I saw them, they butchered it horribly. If I remember correctly the one guitarist actually gave up for 5 seconds during the solo and shook his head. He then LITERALLY blamed the guy at the bar for not bringing the beer he asked for. The vocalist then went off and included the stage design and "scolded" the design crew, who pointed out it was THEIR design and he shut the hell up haha.

Lost A LOT of respect for 'em. I still enjoy Sonic Firestorm and some of Valley of the Damned, but I won't see them live again.

have to blame somebody mine as well be the guys they pay haha...
I would not be pleased if somebody gave up during a solo, I would be chucking waterbottles!

specVjavi
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Dragonforce is utter shit IMO. Haha @ the video posted above, hilarious.

Skyroshroud
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice find. :p Thought it sounded familiar, alot of their songs do have that feel though and probably created for that too.

I myself am a pretty big Dragonforce fan, have all the albums, not a big fan of the last studio album though (Ultra Beatdown). And I wouldn't see them live, I just enjoy the albums and the over-the-top-ness and whatnot in ignorance.

As a live band they are pretty over the top to the point that it's crap, both Sam and Herman try to out do each other and can't improvise on any of the solo's as they go, resulting in more crap. Lol ZP was horrible singing, way too pitchy, or bland, or just lazy and not sing, and spit water at the crowd. Their drummer is a beast though! :D

Out of all the live stuff i've seen, i've seen only a couple of good performances, like I said I wouldn't see them live, but it's still fun to listen to their CD's once in a while. :)

Honestly I had some respect for these guys until I saw 'em when they toured with Daath and Cynic. Cynic are great!

vladimir_nightshade
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
They did say in an interview they were influenced by 8bit music lol

Tapion
07-15-2010, 03:04 AM
They were pretty decent when I saw them a few years ago. No real bitching or anything that I remember, played songs good for the most part, no real screw ups. Chimaira and Killswitch Engage were better live though. That and He Is Legend, who opened for that concert was ok.