PDA

View Full Version : Grand Pearl Poo Bah strategy help

Th3Element05
03-10-2010, 05:55 AM
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/315/combowd0.jpg

I set this up, and moved the piece as shown.
But I only wound up with 4 black pearls. (looking at it, I was only expecting to get 3, but it said I was supposed to get 5, so I trusted it)

Could someone explain to me exactly how the setup in the above picture is supposed to play out to get 5 black pearls?

Yours3lf
03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Idk. I don't see it either. I haven't tried it but I have tried the master grid strat and that works really well.

twistedsymphony
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I did the samet thing last night... and also only got 4. (2 on the right only 1 on the left, and of couse one at the bottom).

I'd guess it either had to do with
1. the colored pieces were destroyed in such a way that it didn't produce the 5th pearl
2. I already had a black pearl on the board when I made the setup and maybe you only receive bonuses up until there are 5 pearls

either way I had a pearl already and 2 stars to help me move it around so I just used those 2 stars to help me make 4 more and got pooh-bah... I'm pretty friggin stoked... I had pretty much written off hexic as a lost cause to 100% but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... I still need big cheese and 100 games, but those are easier than pooh-bah :)

twistedsymphony
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I just wanted to update this again...

I did this setup again last night to get the Big Cheese achievement, once again it only created 4 pearls... 2 on the right 1 on the left and one at the bottom. this time I didn't have any extra pearls or even any extra stars on the board...

not sure why it doesn't work the way it shows in the guide.

either way I'm grateful the method was posted as it helped me get the two hardest achievements in this game :)

Achiever TM
03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
ok guys this method was designed by myself and I am sure it should give you 5 black pearls. (but sometimes it gives only 4 or even 3)
here you can see a video i recorded showing the setup for 5 black pearls at once. 3 with the setup and 2 bonus black pearl ("Alchemy Glitch").

YouTube- Achievement Grand Pearl Poo Bah easy way Part 1

Zorb
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
I only got 4 black pearls as well using this method. Afterwards, I couldn't even manage to get a single star again before a bomb eventually was about to kill me. I connected my 4 black pearls and completed the game before that happened. I couldn't do much considering this method leaves you with no stars afterwards.

I'll be trying the master grid method next time I go for this.

theEVOL1
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM
This game is very frustrating in this way. It will score combos oddly and you can set things up the same way and get different results. I wish there was a reason for it, but in the end, the game kind of does whatever it wants to a certain extent.

My tip for those of you who try to get this achievement without any type of grid, (which in the long run is more difficult no matter how hard making a grid might look!) is to refrain from making black pearls as soon as you get 6 starflowers. ALWAYS have AT LEAST 2 extra stars after you make your pearl or pearls or you will be starting over from scratch. I usually recommend 10 stars before making a pearl in case you drop a star to the bottom and are unable to turn or "starwalk" it.

This achievement is not all that difficult, (easy for me to say, right? :p) it just takes A LOT of patience. It is a fun game and I recommend learning to make a grid, because the first time you set one up, it will dawn on you how easy this game can actually be!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

A 1971 Mach 1
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I personally found it much more easier to build a masters grid and then work on pearls that way. For a guide for the grids. Check here: http://hexic.info/grid.html

crackedeggs1
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi, I just got this achievement last night. The strategy in the guide only ever gave me 4 pearls, and took until the end of level 6 to set up completely. Creating a master grid never worked for me, mainly because creating combos around stars makes the stars drop and form starwalkers, before I could ever complete the grid...

So I just did this naturally, using mostly starwalkers and every time I got 9 or 10 stars making a pearl and moving it into position before making any more stars. I found this is better than accidentally having your pearl fall into a bad position that's hard to get it or forms a pearl combo.

I just got lucky this last time in that the bombs that fell were actually possible to diffuse within their time limit.

Aside from 1 7-turn bomb that took exactly 7 to diffuse, the hardest part was moving the last pearl into position. I have made the mistake in the past to try to make enough stars for pearl-6 and a starwalker, but this always gave an undiffusable bomb opportunity to make its appearance.

Usually I quit and restart if any stars accidentally form a combo. I did have that happen once on my last run but it was early enough in the game (before level 4, with a decent distribution of pieces), that it was just as easy to keep going.

Hope this helps someone in some way, I had been trying over and over for 5 months to get this achievement. It was so beautiful when the pearls made their circle on my own screen.

blackjacktrial
07-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Just got it... with what I call a 'Star-String'. Didn't bother with the full grid, because I had to compromise that for each pearl.

I left one side unattended, to make pearls, whilst near-gridding two thirds of the board. Used starwalking to build pearls from stars made in the grid section, and one star to get pearls into nice formation for GP P-B. Starflowers make cascades hard.

It was stressful, definitely, but once I had five in formation for the GPPB, I just waited for one more star, then starwalked a pearl right above the other five, and yelled yippee (this part is very important - missing the yippee will preclude you getting the achievement anecdotally).

But yes, there's definitely a reason why that achievement gets a 7.25 TA ratio on that site. It's easy to stuff up, and takes a long time, and you can't save progress.

zibii
07-15-2011, 01:15 AM
I just got the two black pearl achievements using a master grid for each. Definitely takes a lot of patience! I dropped 3, 4, 5 stars quite a few times but the grid made up for it.

Once you work out the 2 or 3 ways of putting new stars into position making black pearls isn't so bad. I found always keeping one free star in the grid made expanding the grid very easy. Always using the same star to make new stars made a continous line of new stars coming in from the top. After setting up about 10 stars at the bottom the rest arrived very quickly.

Bombs were the main problem really. Keeping a few star hexes near the line of incoming stars seemed to do it. Got there in the end!

RBmaster9345
08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
This game really is hard as hell. How do these guys pull this shit off?

Shinobi273
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
This game really is hard as hell. How do these guys pull this shit off?

It's not that hard. You can predict what will happen if you don't rely on the new pieces and use what is on the board. The difficult part is getting your starting stars, after that you just move them around the board to make new stars. There is no time limit so take it easy. The 5 pearl combo is an immense help.

Ronin Oishi
09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
It was not that difficult but I would not do it late at night or after having a few drinks. This game requires focus and looking at the whole board for possible combinations before making a move. I got Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah twice last night (Gold account and then second account just to see if I can do it faster). I did not use a Master Grid. I tried the above image Strategy and only got 3 Black Pearls and then was stuck without Stars to walk with.

So my Strategy is to build around 5 star pairs (10 stars) then build a Black Pearl. Move it to a corner (I used lower left) with a star in the middle to rotate additional Black Pearls in. More then 10 stars is just too busy to walk and hard for me to concentrate. I would place 3 pairs near the bottom spaced one to two columns apart then build Black Pearl when ready.

Main thing was the start. If I did not see possible star combos in the beginning I would just restart the game. Took me 200 minutes which is longer than it should have since I had 5 Black Pearls and then would screw up the 3 star pairs moving then over. My 2nd run at it took me about 80 minutes.:cool:

I will upload pictures and videos to my Flickr account later today and update this post with a link.

T.B.R.M
09-10-2011, 06:34 PM
i'm going after grand pearl poo-bah tonight!

Justicefrog
02-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Count me in with the people who only got 4 black pearls. But that was how I eventually got the pooh-bah achievement. After I got the fifth black pearl, I almost screwed myself when a bomb showed up.... with no matching colors anywhere close. I literally had to sacrifice three silver stars, HOPING that the matching colors would fall down just to get rid of the bomb, and the gamble paid off. It definitely helps to have as many silver stars as possible.

PrimeBigTime
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Alright guys, I just got this achievement last night. Took about three hours over three days but it only took me three tries before I got the hang of it. I used the method that this guy has on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nky74JUt7G4&context=C42cf198ADvjVQa1PpcFOaKS6ByXXUcagTTIOWMqWe Km6WA5toAjE=

It takes more work than the strategy above, but it's GUARANTEED to net you 6 black pearls. A few notes, however:

Make 25 stars (not easy but with patience you can get this done). Line them up vertically on the left of the screen (rows of 8 high work). These 25 stars break down as: 22 stars for the design, then keep 3 stars left over. 2 next to each other for star-walking and 1 that you will cluster the black pearls around.

Once you have your 25 stars, start moving them SLOWLY into position. You will have so many stars on the screen that patience is key. You may actually have to move stars out of the way to be able to move the ones you want.

Make the pattern the guy shows in the video but don't put it where he is putting it, it's way to hard. Move it UP 1 and to the LEFT 1. That way the pattern is not touching any walls (way too risky because you have to make combos to get stars in place which we don't want to do).

Once you make the pattern, rotate the stars like he shows and voila! Six black pearls.

Now all you need to do is star walk (using your two extra stars) the black pearls to your remaining star and just keep adding the black pearls.

This method worked great because once you have your 25 stars, you can guarantee no more combos (and bombs) by planning out each move very carefully to avoid matching the colors and triggering a collapse. That part will take a good hour to finish but if you can get 25 stars, you are pretty much guaranteed to get this achievement.

BTW if you don't have the skills yet to get 25 stars, practice star walking first, then once you've mastered it, you are pretty much there.

Hope this helps.