PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon battle System

Venomized
03-10-2010, 12:02 PM
This game's battle system really reminds me of Pokemon. Never played any FF games before; this is my first one. I played a game called Phantasy Star Universe and I enjoyed it and a few friends told me I should try FF if I enjoyed that, but NO ON told me about the battle system. Hopefully I can get use to it and enjoy it but I am not sure. Never liked these type of battle systems. I guess I shouldve looked into it more or rented it first. Oh well . . . I like the cut scenes so far.

Meteox
03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
The Battle Systems of the earlier Final Fantasy parts a like Pokemon but i think that XIII isnīt even like Pokemon o_O

Onimysta
03-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Wut? It's nothing like Pokemon. Pokemon is turn based - this is like.... fast action... whatever :D.

VinasErgoth
03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I think what he meant was that you had to choose attacks. He mentioned having played Phantasy Star, which is more of a button bash to do your attacks and he expected FFXIII (his first FF game) to be similar.

pinkpenguin88
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
If you haven't played rpgs before... yes maybe you might see it as like pokemon, but that's the basic principle of rpg fighting. However nope... nothing like pokemon lol

Venomized
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I think what he meant was that you had to choose attacks. He mentioned having played Phantasy Star, which is more of a button bash to do your attacks and he expected FFXIII (his first FF game) to be similar.

that's exactly what I was talking about.

If you haven't played rpgs before... yes maybe you might see it as like pokemon, but that's the basic principle of rpg fighting. However nope... nothing like pokemon lol

Most RPG's that I play you control how you attack etc (Press RT to attack; LT to Defend; Y to Jump). Like oblivion for example. And I said the battle system is like Pokemon . . . not the game.

Poptart
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Sounds like you've missed out on a TON of great RPGs, Sir.

Venomized
03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Sounds like you've missed out on a TON of great RPGs, Sir.

If any of these RPG games you are talking about have this type of Battle System, then No I did not miss out on any great RPGs IMO.

Poptart
03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
If any of these RPG games you are talking about have this type of Battle System, then No I did not miss out on any great RPGs IMO.

I wasn't trying to come off as an ass or anything, just so you know.

I understand that you don't particularly enjoy the battle system (which is very common for JRPGs), but you've missed great story lines and such is what I meant mostly.

Venomized
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I wasn't trying to come off as an ass or anything, just so you know.

I understand that you don't particularly enjoy the battle system (which is very common for JRPGs), but you've missed great story lines and such is what I meant mostly.

I didnt think u were trying to come off as one. But I never thought of that, I guess that is true. I think I am going to play this one through though.

Thehefferkiller
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
OMG, another PSU'er, glad to meet ya haha.
and pokemon, damn, i kinda like pokemons very simple battle system.

Shad0wTroop3r
03-11-2010, 01:17 AM
You must realize the difference between RPG and JRPG
FF and Oblivion are nowhere near the same category so dont even compare them
I mean frickin Star Wars the force unleasehed was supposedly an RPG but whatever
If you dont like this game then you dont like JRPGs
you should stick with games like Fallout and Borderlands which would fill ur shoot em up needs or like you said PSU for hack n slash stuff

Chaosx721
03-11-2010, 01:34 AM
I think what should be said here is that not ALL FF games have this battle system as FF13. FFXII is kind of the same the reset is more turned based.

Jim Auh Thee
03-11-2010, 03:11 AM
lol i was just talking to sum friends today about how kickass those pokemon games on the game boy were

Venomized
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
OMG, another PSU'er, glad to meet ya haha.
and pokemon, damn, i kinda like pokemons very simple battle system.

I only played through PSU once and never played the game again, so I am not "Big" on it. And I didn't really enjoy thr story either.

You must realize the difference between RPG and JRPG
FF and Oblivion are nowhere near the same category so dont even compare them
I mean frickin Star Wars the force unleasehed was supposedly an RPG but whatever
If you dont like this game then you dont like JRPGs
you should stick with games like Fallout and Borderlands which would fill ur shoot em up needs or like you said PSU for hack n slash stuff

Hate fallout 3.

And now I know the difference between JRPG and RPG. I am slowly catching on to this game and enjoying it. This is the first game for a while where I REALLY pay attention to the story. My first JRPG game and a good one as well.

DOOKH8R
03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
So can I use my Drowsee to put them to sleep and then my Haunter to steal their dreams? After that, a little hyperbeam from Dragonite ends all who dare me.
I will avenge Aeris' death the only way I know how. Sephiroth, say hello to my good friend Charmander.

optics
03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
This game's battle system really reminds me of Pokemon. Never played any FF games before; this is my first one. I played a game called Phantasy Star Universe and I enjoyed it and a few friends told me I should try FF if I enjoyed that, but NO ON told me about the battle system. Hopefully I can get use to it and enjoy it but I am not sure. Never liked these type of battle systems. I guess I shouldve looked into it more or rented it first. Oh well . . . I like the cut scenes so far.

I didn't like them at first, but FF7 ended all that. The system is different now though.... and I like it. Sure theres alot of Mashing the A button, thats usually for the easy guys or when you have a good pace going against a tough enemy. But there is depth in it. Like character classes, knowing when and which ones to use. I don't know if people bring up the Y button that much, but to me, that button is key. For example, when your enemy's chain gauge is rapidly going down and the only way to prevent it from resetting is to attack it. You and your partner's ATB is charging and still halfway, what do you? Press Y to stop your character's recharge so that you can attack the enemy who's chain gauge is about to reset to 0.

Venomized
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I didn't like them at first, but FF7 ended all that. The system is different now though.... and I like it. Sure theres alot of Mashing the A button, thats usually for the easy guys or when you have a good pace going against a tough enemy. But there is depth in it. Like character classes, knowing when and which ones to use. I don't know if people bring up the Y button that much, but to me, that button is key. For example, when your enemy's chain gauge is rapidly going down and the only way to prevent it from resetting is to attack it. You and your partner's ATB is charging and still halfway, what do you? Press Y to stop your character's recharge so that you can attack the enemy who's chain gauge is about to reset to 0.

Yeah Im starting to like it =)

So can I use my Drowsee to put them to sleep and then my Haunter to steal their dreams? After that, a little hyperbeam from Dragonite ends all who dare me.
I will avenge Aeris' death the only way I know how. Sephiroth, say hello to my good friend Charmander.

Aren't you a comedian. If you cant interpret what I meant, I'm not sure if your head is on straight. The SYSTEM is similar. Pretty easy to understand. And if you do understand and act like this, that just makes you childish.

DOOKH8R
03-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Aren't you a comedian. If you cant interpret what I meant, I'm not sure if your head is on straight. The SYSTEM is similar. Pretty easy to understand. And if you do understand and act like this, that just makes you childish.

Can't it be both?