PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight sequel will conclude Nolan's Bat-series

B1GM13
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
The upcoming Batman 3 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/961/961205.html) could be the Caped Crusader's final movie outing -- at least under the direction of Christopher Nolan (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/910/910810.html).

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/christopher-nolan-takes-flight-with-superman-we-have-a-fantastic-story-1.html), the British director -- besides confirming his involvement in the new Superman franchise (click here to read the full story (http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/107/1076244p1.html)) -- also went into detail about the creative process behind the hotly anticipated sequel to The Dark Knight (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/752/752133.html).

"Without getting into specifics, the key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story," he said. "And in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story.

"I'm very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we've done with the characters," Nolan said. "My brother [Jonah] has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these thing don't go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we're telling. And it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That's what we do."

He wouldn't go into details about the plot or future villains, but did at least confirm that Mr. Freeze wouldn't make an appearance.

source - IGN.com

SharksInYourMouth
03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Hm this seems fair interesting. I didn't even know they were going to continue after Dark Knight. I'm keen to see what they have for us in this third installment.

shilbo-assassin
03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Was always gonna be another after the last one took nearly a billion dollars. I really hope it's as good as the previous two - which were great films, they deserve a great final film. It will be interesting to see which villians will be in it though.

The Pants Party
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I think you mis-titled the thread. Your title implies he won't do a third one, but the article and his quotes pretty much guarantee a third one.

specVjavi
03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I think you mis-titled the thread. Your title implies he won't do a third one, but the article and his quotes pretty much guarantee a third one.

I dont think so, it says the sequel to the Dark Knight (3rd film) will be the last Batman movie for Nolan. At least thats how i understood it.

B1GM13
03-11-2010, 01:44 PM

I dont think so, it says the sequel to the Dark Knight (3rd film) will be the last Batman movie for Nolan. At least thats how i understood it.

Case closed :p

plus it was an IGN Job ;)

The Pants Party
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Ah, missed the word "sequel" in the title. Thought they were talking about Dark Knight itself. Isn't everything a trilogy these days though? Not much of a surprise.

DarthSoth
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
A trilogy, prequel or a reboot. Or maybe even all three. All seem to be the hip new things to do in Hollywood.

Burning Karma
03-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Ah, missed the word "sequel" in the title. Thought they were talking about Dark Knight itself. Isn't everything a trilogy these days though? Not much of a surprise.
I did too when I first read it, Pants.

And I agree with Pants. Not a surprise that this is a trilogy. I just hope this next one is almost as good as The Dark Knight.

Tussell
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
This is the best news I've heard all day. Hopefully it will be just as good as Begins.

TheEighthSage
03-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Ooo, totally called that one. My brother owes me five bucks. xD I hear The Riddler will be in it, and perhaps Catwoman, but that's just speculation. Bummer on no Mr. Freeze though, that's a shame. Makes sense since Nolan's series is grounded more in reality, but still a shame.

Tussell
03-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Bummer on no Mr. Freeze though, that's a shame. Makes sense since Nolan's series is grounded more in reality, but still a shame.
Yeah, it's the same reason they aren't going to have Killer Croc, who I would personally love to see!

laundryman
03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I hope to see The Riddler and maybe Black Mask. Can't wait for this.

Tussell
03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I hope to see The Riddler and maybe Black Mask. Can't wait for this.
Black Mask is probably another one of the characters that will be considered "too unrealistic". I mean, if I remember right, when he was first introduced, it was actually a mask. However, in some, he's just a black skull. I assume that if they do in fact bring him into the movie, it would be the mask, however, to me, Black Mask is the black skull!

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I think its a betrayal that nolan is going to do a superman film

because batman > superman, but i guess well see that when the superman film comes out

but still excited for batman 3 none the less

laundryman
03-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah that's a good point. I only think they would consider him over so many other villains is because he's slightly realistic (opposed to Croc, Freeze or Clayface). I highly doubt we would see the Mad Hatter because he's in Alice in Wonderland, but that could happen. Maybe The Ventriloquist? I'd even be interested to see how Nolan would portray Harley Quinn.

Tussell
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah that's a good point. I only think they would consider him over so many other villains is because he's slightly realistic (opposed to Croc, Freeze or Clayface). I highly doubt we would see the Mad Hatter because he's in Alice in Wonderland, but that could happen. Maybe The Ventriloquist? I'd even be interested to see how Nolan would portray Harley Quinn.
As many people here know, I disliked The Dark Knight quite a bit, aside from the opening bank scene, which I thought was phenomenal. However, I would really like to see Harley Quinn in the third film. I've always loved her.

TheEighthSage
03-12-2010, 12:36 AM
As many people here know, I disliked The Dark Knight quite a bit, aside from the opening bank scene, which I thought was phenomenal. However, I would really like to see Harley Quinn in the third film. I've always loved her.

Wouldn't that involve re-casting the Joker in some way? Or at least bringing Poison Ivy, who could possibly be introduced if they stick with her original origin? To give some kind of foil to Harley, I mean. Not saying it couldn't be done, I just don't see her being a strong enough character on her own, is all. (Don't get me wrong, I love her too :D) The Mad Hatter probably would be a viable choice still since by the time this comes out, Alice in Wonderland would be far enough out of people's minds. Not that I think that would matter, I mean the similarities were intentional, iirc. That plus technological mind control...eh...probably not. Oh, how about The Ventriloquist? They could throw out the whole "the dummy's alive" part and just have Scarface simply be a second personality. I still think Riddler and Catwoman would be most likely though.

DeviantDante
03-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Epic fanboy squee!

DeviantDante
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Also I am hoping for Harley and Riddler

KFZ Scrubs
03-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Awesome, gotta say i actually like the series..... seen the dark knight twice in the past two months and it actually makes me want to watch more movies from the franchise.

Tussell
03-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Awesome, gotta say i actually like the series..... seen the dark knight twice in the past two months and it actually makes me want to watch more movies from the franchise.
Go with the ones from 89-97. :)

laundryman
03-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Wouldn't that involve re-casting the Joker in some way? Or at least bringing Poison Ivy, who could possibly be introduced if they stick with her original origin? To give some kind of foil to Harley, I mean. Not saying it couldn't be done, I just don't see her being a strong enough character on her own, is all. (Don't get me wrong, I love her too :D)

They could have her be a side villain or something. Maybe she had an off screen love interest in the past film and wants revenge for the Joker being put in Arkham?

KFZ Scrubs
03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Go with the ones from 89-97. :)

Haha, i should!
The one that i absolutely hate..... i think it was batman and robin forever.... or something like that. It was the one where Arnold was Mr. Freeze. I thought it was pretty crappy, but hey, people think it's awesome.

Fayzer
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Could be a good thing, If he can bring his story telling to a close. So that if anybody else does Batman they would have to start again. I hate it when someone else throws another sequel onto a perfect trilogy, Just to milk it.

DarthSoth
03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Haha, i should!
The one that i absolutely hate..... i think it was batman and robin forever.... or something like that. It was the one where Arnold was Mr. Freeze. I thought it was pretty crappy, but hey, people think it's awesome.

No, no, no. the last couple pre Nolan batman's were pretty horrible. Bat nipples? Neon black light paint? WTF were they doing. Burton's 1+2 were great, but I think I would rather light my face on fire that watch 3 + 4.

Actually I have mixed fealing about Forever. Jim Carry was pretty good as the riddler but TLJ as 2-face was not so good. And Val Kilmar as Batman was pretty meh. No, nevermind, it was pretty bad.

rvlution
03-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Wouldn't that involve re-casting the Joker in some way? Or at least bringing Poison Ivy, who could possibly be introduced if they stick with her original origin? To give some kind of foil to Harley, I mean. Not saying it couldn't be done, I just don't see her being a strong enough character on her own, is all. (Don't get me wrong, I love her too :D) The Mad Hatter probably would be a viable choice still since by the time this comes out, Alice in Wonderland would be far enough out of people's minds. Not that I think that would matter, I mean the similarities were intentional, iirc. That plus technological mind control...eh...probably not. Oh, how about The Ventriloquist? They could throw out the whole "the dummy's alive" part and just have Scarface simply be a second personality. I still think Riddler and Catwoman would be most likely though.

What if they did the Red Hood? I'm not a huge comic geek but isn't Red Hood the Joker? That could be a way to "end" the Joker I suppose. But even that would require some sort of unmasking.

i m redshark
03-13-2010, 03:04 AM
A lot of speculation is going around about who would be the villain in the 3rd film. I remember reading somewhere that Rachel Dawes (Maggie Ghyllenhall) would play the role of Catwoman, which I could see happening based on some things I noticed in The Dark Knight. In the scene where she gives Alfred the letter when she leaves Bruces penthouse, she says goodbye like she knew she wasn't going to make it out alive. Almost as if she expected to die knowing everyone would think she was dead therefore she would come back as the Catwoman. I could be totally wrong but just throwing these observations out there

Purge
03-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Haha, i should!

CHILL OUT! FREEZE!

I'm hoping for 'The Riddler' and 'HUSH'.

Emfulz
03-13-2010, 07:33 AM
We need a petition to bring Robin back :p Batman aint nothing without Robin.

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-13-2010, 07:35 AM
We need a petition to bring Robin back :p Batman aint nothing without Robin.

Ban this man for putting out such atrocious thoughts, even if it was in a joking manner (which I truly hope it was)

;)

DOOKH8R
03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
CHILL OUT! FREEZE!

I'm hoping for 'The Riddler' and 'HUSH'.

Hush would be friggin sweet.
They could do a back-story flashback with Bruce Wayne and Tommy Elliot in their younger days. They'd need at Batgirl to do the final story justice though.

I also remember hearing some rumblings that Philip Seymour Hoffman was being considered as the Riddler. He would be seriously creepy.

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
I also remember hearing some rumblings that Philip Seymour Hoffman was being considered as the Riddler. He would be seriously creepy.

I thought he was being considered for the penguin?

DOOKH8R
03-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I thought he was being considered for the penguin?

I think you are right. That would make way more sense.
Gary Oldman would be an awesome Riddler

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-13-2010, 08:13 AM
I think you are right. That would make way more sense.
Gary Oldman would be an awesome Riddler

I think theres a conflict there.........

DOOKH8R
03-13-2010, 08:17 AM
True, but when he gets in character, you forget who he is. Remember that crappy Christian Slater movie True Romance?

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-13-2010, 08:19 AM
ehh I dont know, it just bothers me when one person plays two.....dont know why

CHPwannabe
03-13-2010, 08:24 AM
i would really like to see how the joker is involved with this movie

Emfulz
03-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Ban this man for putting out such atrocious thoughts, even if it was in a joking manner (which I truly hope it was)

;)

Have you ever watched the Batman 60's TV Show? What would it be like without Robin...

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Have you ever watched the Batman 60's TV Show? What would it be like without Robin...

lol

well i know it would have a whole lot less "holy ____ Batman!"

DarthSoth
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
True, but when he gets in character, you forget who he is. Remember that crappy Christian Slater movie True Romance?

Oh come on, True Romance was a good flick. There was a lot of good stuff in that movie. Some really great characters in it.

Oldman is awesome. He plays a great bad guy. Remember Leon, the Professional? He was awesome in that. But yeah, Batman would not be the place to have him as double characters.

And please god, no Robin in this set of Batman movies. I just don't see how they can add Robin into a dark and gritty batman movie and pull it off without it being hokey.

Purge
03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Good? :p

Gee willikers Batman! Here! Use this shark-repellent spray!
*Sprays on the shark. It explodes*

I've heard a lot of rumours, initially I wanted Depp to play the Riddler as he tends to be pretty good with weird obscure characters.. but after watching Alice in Wonderland, I want to forget he existed.

shilbo-assassin
03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Remember Leon, the Professional? YES!, my favourite film ever. Oldman is a legend.
YouTube- The Professional -- Everyone

Tussell
03-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Haha, i should!
Haha, you combined two movies.

It's Batman Forever then there's Batman and Robin.

rvlution
03-14-2010, 03:18 AM
I always saw Black Mask as too much like Red Skull. Except he's not anti-communist propaganda. Cool nonetheless though.

I really wish that they didn't kill off Two-Face. He was one of my favorites. Such an intriguing and disturbing character. I guess that goes for the same with the Joker (my all time favorite) also.

MGMT
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
To everyone doubting Robin,

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vd409w.gif

If there was anyone,
that'd do Dick Grayson justice that'd be, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

If there were ever to be the Riddler in Nolan's movie, it'd have to be
the story-arc of, previously said a few times, Hush.
He's not the main villain just a side, but that would be way too long to try
to compact into a 2 hour movie (let's face it already) and there were way
to many other villains (including the Joker) so, no Riddler and plus, I can't
see him keeping the movie going all by himself.

SynysterChris
03-20-2010, 10:30 AM
To everyone doubting Robin,

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vd409w.gif

If there was anyone,
that'd do Dick Grayson justice that'd be, Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

If there were ever to be the Riddler in Nolan's movie, it'd have to be
the story-arc of, previously said a few times, Hush.
He's not the main villain just a side, but that would be way too long to try
to compact into a 2 hour movie (let's face it already) and there were way
to many other villains (including the Joker) so, no Riddler and plus, I can't
see him keeping the movie going all by himself.

Why not NightWing, the casting is good and they could keep in the whole parentes dying thing and he puts on the mask to avenge his family, but is also inspired by batman. Though is kinda bloodthursty so there can be a Robin/NightWing, Batman fight. And they could run into each other through out the film.

EDIT: Just thought of this after post while talking to my bro.
So while keeping the whole realistic aspect of Batman. They could have Dick Grason, aka Robin(NightWing) have the whole killed parents thing in the mob. But instead of him being a kid and joining Batman, he takes up the vigilate role. But uses Lethal force unlike Batman.
Which leads into the whole Batman a wanted man now, so the public and police will start to blame Batman for all the killing that have started against the gangs and things. Which will lead to a whatever of sorts between them. Plus you could do some interesting things with like the Joker returning or the Riddler turning them against each other, like one of them tricking NightWing into thinking Batman was behind his parents murder.(Maybe that last part)
Also this could lead to Batman/Bruce connecting to someone else like he does with robin. And a way for a out for Bruce.

So what do you guy's think?

maxpwns
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
can't wait for the next Batman the first two were sooooo good

Volzagia
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Im glad this will end as a trilogy and not a sequel-fest :woop:

Skyroshroud
03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Mmmm, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. :)

Would be cool to have Scarecrow, or a more "realistic" version of him play a part of the story.

rvlution
03-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Mmmm, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. :)

Would be cool to have Scarecrow, or a more "realistic" version of him play a part of the story.

Then what was Batman Begins? That was a pretty realistic interpretation of a guy who uses fear toxin.

Skyroshroud
03-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Then what was Batman Begins? That was a pretty realistic interpretation of a guy who uses fear toxin.

Ah, well I have not seen that movie, nor heard he was in it. :S

Oh well nevermind what I said.

sak7395
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
dark knight is a great film cant wait for a sequel

domn8rdom
03-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Look idk how a third batman movie could be any better than The Dark Knight. but Nolan will do his best if this is his last batman

BadMan Andy 92
03-26-2010, 09:56 PM
the joker will suck, no one will be better than Heath

Barad
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I loved the first two, can't wait for this.

MrBubbles x360a
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I'd love to see Riddler but no Mr. Freeze? Awh!
If they could make him as cool as he was in the cartoon series i'd love it.
Penguin would be pretty neat too :p

bloodsaw405
04-26-2010, 07:12 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! We still need batman in the asylum. Come ON. WHATS THIS GUY THINKING!!

Schryke
04-27-2010, 02:29 PM
And please god, no Robin in this set of Batman movies. I just don't see how they can add Robin into a dark and gritty batman movie and pull it off without it being hokey.

I remember reading an interview around the time Batman Begins came out with Bale saying he'd walk if Robin was put into the film, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

I'm a big fan of the reboot series, so I'm excited for the third one. I for one, would be happy if it kept going past three, but it's probably for the best if it is the last one for a while.