PDA

View Full Version : Battle System 5 Star Question

QueenFragger000
03-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, can someone explain the battle system to me? I am confused. I am in the start of Chapter 4.

I pretty much don't die and do ok with killing mobs, but I don't always get 5 stars at the end of battle. I can't quite figure out what I am doing wrong and what I need to do differently for the 5 stars. I probably wouldn't care, but there is an achievement for getting 5 stars on all the quest battles later in the game, so I want to make sure I understand and practice now how to get 5 stars so that it isn't a struggle later in the game.

I do switch paradigms, and I have 3 little square thingies to fill up before each hit. I understand the concept of staggering the enemy, but how to you get the enemy to stagger faster?

Sometimes, I hit auto battle and I do like 30 damage a hit to an enemy and sometimes I do 200-500 damage. My weapons are all level 1 because I don't think I have the ability to upgrade them yet.

Also - I hear people talking about "chain damage". What is that and how do I start the chain?

What am I doing wrong? I can't upgrade the weapons, I've upgraded my characters with the CP, but I still just struggle with getting 5 stars. How do I up my damage and meet the criteria for 5 stars?

Sorry for the noob question. New to FF games and I just can't figure out what I am missing. By the way, I LOVE the game so far. It's mindblowing. A bit slow at first, but its starting to pick up!

VinasErgoth
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Chain damage is when you quickly fill up the enemies stagger bar. Try using Rav/Rav/Com to fill it the fastest. From what I've seen, you get 5 stars from finishing the battle right under the par time.

If you look at the screen that comes up after a battle it'll have 2 times. The time at the top is the par time and the time at the bottom is how long it took you. Finishing way under the par time is how you get 5 stars. Finishing on the par time (or slightly around) gets you 3 stars.

EDIT: If you look at these two times for example. Both on the same enemy time with the same number of enemies

Fight 1:
- Par time: 01:32
- My time: 01:12
- Stars: 4

Fight 2
- My time: 01:01
- Stars: 5

QueenFragger000
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Ok that helps a little, I'm playing around a bit more with the paradigm system.

Also - if I do a Libra on an enemy once and his weakness is revealed, do I have to use a Libra again in the next fight when I come across the same enemy? Or once you do a Libra once, the game remembers that I know the weakness of this type of enemy?

I think it remembers, cause I can hit LB and the screen pops up, but I just want to make sure.

jeffy x360a
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Ok that helps a little, I'm playing around a bit more with the paradigm system.

Also - if I do a Libra on an enemy once and his weakness is revealed, do I have to use a Libra again in the next fight when I come across the same enemy? Or once you do a Libra once, the game remembers that I know the weakness of this type of enemy?

I think it remembers, cause I can hit LB and the screen pops up, but I just want to make sure.

if you hit rb to see the enemies stats/weaknesses look for ??? under certain weaknesses etc. after i use libra twice on the same enemy all his info usually shows. im not sure if thats needed or not but im doing it.

Outline
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Chain damage is when you quickly fill up the enemies stagger bar. Try using Rav/Rav/Com to fill it the fastest. From what I've seen, you get 5 stars from finishing the battle right under the par time.

If you look at the screen that comes up after a battle it'll have 2 times. The time at the top is the par time and the time at the bottom is how long it took you. Finishing way under the par time is how you get 5 stars. Finishing on the par time (or slightly around) gets you 3 stars.

EDIT: If you look at these two times for example. Both on the same enemy time with the same number of enemies

Fight 1:
- My time: 0:12
- Stars: 4

Fight 2
- My time: 01:01
- Stars: 5

Did you mean the stars to be the other way around...?

xTGMx INF3RNO
03-11-2010, 05:40 PM
If you want to stagger quickly or get big chains start with comando then switch to raveger and go all out your chain will rise alot quicker thats the ravager class bonus but make sure you start the combo with a commando

Andrealinia
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
According to my guide, it says that if you get around the par time you'll get around 3 stars (but I think it also depends on paradigm shifts etc.)

But there are some advantages of getting 1 star because you can get some special items - I think they're the ones you use by pressing LB before you enter a battle. (At least that's what I remember from reading my guide. I don't have it with my at the moment so I'm not 100%)

VinasErgoth
03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Did you mean the stars to be the other way around...? Oops, my bad. I missed out a digit. Fixed now.