PDA

View Full Version : "Kick Ass" = Unoriginal?

MrBubbles x360a
03-14-2010, 04:19 AM
The other day I watched the trailer for the film "Kick Ass" because of all the hype it's been getting and when it was done I was laughing at how unoriginal it is. I know it's based on a comic book series and all so i'm not sure if this is the purpose but I see this as just a rip off of "Watchmen"

Why you ask? Well let's see, a teenager becomes a superhero after being inspired by comic books. This inspires other vigilantes to pop up all over the U.S. They then all come together to form one superhero team. Sounds an awful lot how the original Minutemen formed in Watchmen.

The only difference it seems is that "Kick Ass" is a comedy.

Now this is all just based on what I've gathered from the trailer. Does anyone else think this?

Edit: I guess i'm gonna see the movie after this unanimous decision that Kick Ass is different. Thanks guys :P

thewyseone
03-14-2010, 04:28 AM
i'll pass,only thing that best descibes my thoughts is.....

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/thewyseone/people/albundy.jpg

AdamArmy
03-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Read this review

http://movies.ign.com/articles/107/1076231p1.html

Some people are saying it is the best superhero movie. Watchmen sucked by the way.

Starstrukk X360A
03-14-2010, 05:00 AM
I really don't care if it's original or not.

What matters is if it'll be entertaining, which I have high hopes for.

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-14-2010, 05:04 AM
I havent even heard of this movie

and yes watchmen did suck

MrBubbles x360a
03-14-2010, 05:10 AM
How did Watchmen suck? It was a faithful movie version of the greatest graphic novel ever. I know it had flaws but it in no way sucked.
And please give me a good reason. Not "It had blue penis"

And I never even said the movie in the first place. The origin of the Minutemen wasn't put into much detail in the movie at all.

Gorilla Stomper
03-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Why you ask? Well let's see, a teenager becomes a superhero after being inspired by comic books. This inspires other vigilantes to pop up all over the U.S. They then all come together to form one superhero team. Sounds an awful lot how the original Minutemen formed in Watchmen.

At what point were the Minutemen inspired by comic books to form a superhero team?

Snowman
03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

It seems to me that you're really overlooking it, you'll have to actually read the comic or see the movie to because there are a few interesting twists that go on that make it stand out. But because you only saw the trailer and only saw a general view of the movie, I guess I can tell how you got the idea.

MrBubbles x360a
03-14-2010, 04:36 PM
At what point were the Minutemen inspired by comic books to form a superhero team?

I said it sounds a lot like how the minutemen formed not exactly how they formed. And Nite Owl was even inspired by Superman in the original comic.

MrBubbles x360a
03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
It seems to me that you're really overlooking it, you'll have to actually read the comic or see the movie to because there are a few interesting twists that go on that make it stand out. But because you only saw the trailer and only saw a general view of the movie, I guess I can tell how you got the idea.

And yea i'm not an expert this is just based on the trailer. They should really make the trailer show the twists then cause it looks really generic based on what I saw

CodSteaks
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
no, it's not a rip off. the comic is actually really good, and was created by the same guy who created "wanted" (the comic, not the movie, which was a horribly mutated adaptation).

MrBubbles x360a
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
no, it's not a rip off. the comic is actually really good, and was created by the same guy who created "wanted" (the comic, not the movie, which was a horribly mutated adaptation).

Yea the wanted movie definetly wasn't true to the comic.

MrFresh
03-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Wanted very untrue to the comic, Watchmen movie was 1 and 1 with the comic expect for the ending. Kick-ass in any way shape or form is not ripping watchmen i don't even know how you came to that conclusion!? i don't remember Myspace and youtube in watchmen..lol

MrBubbles x360a
03-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Wanted very untrue to the comic, Watchmen movie was 1 and 1 with the comic expect for the ending. Kick-ass in any way shape or form is not ripping watchmen i don't even know how you came to that conclusion!? i don't remember Myspace and youtube in watchmen..lol

Well im just basing this off the trailer. I'm gonna see Kick Ass and then judge it lol

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
How did Watchmen suck? It was a faithful movie version of the greatest graphic novel ever.

THANKYOU!

No, Kick-Ass isn't a rip off of the Watchmen film, or comic/graphic novel for that matter. Read some comics or don't rip on the source material.

The Pants Party
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Just going to echo what a few other people said already: read the comics. You're definitely getting the wrong vibe from the trailer. It is NOTHING like Watchmen, in any way.

padraiglovesyou
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
This is gonna be awesome! I thought it was just gonna be another crap comedy but it looks hilarious! :D

StarmanElite
03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I just happened to catch Mystery Men on TV the other night. It reminded me of this upcoming film. It's closer to that if anything. I wouldn't compare it to Watchmen, just because of how the superheroes meet up. All superhero groups need to meet somehow.