PDA

View Full Version : Small Disk Scratch : Need Help

DPayne
03-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Well guys the title pretty much says it all. I was playing BFBC2 today and I was on Port Valdez when all of a sudden my game says disk unreadable. At that moment I though nothing of it....until I took the disk out to clean it. There is a circular scratch on the disk that only goes around about 1/4 of the disk. The scratch isn't deep at all, as I can't even feel it by touching it. I bought it at Gamestop the day it was released and I still have my reciept. Does anyone know if Gamestop will let me return it for a new copy that is working? And by the way I bought the game NEW not used. I have no idea how this happened, and I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

MediumMelanin
03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Where exactly is the "scratch"? 'cause if it's pretty much within the hole of the disc, it happens to all my games, my only problem is getting kicked to the dashboard in BFBC2...

PrinceofDeath86
03-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Well guys the title pretty much says it all. I was playing BFBC2 today and I was on Port Valdez when all of a sudden my game says disk unreadable. At that moment I though nothing of it....until I took the disk out to clean it. There is a circular scratch on the disk that only goes around about 1/4 of the disk. The scratch isn't deep at all, as I can't even feel it by touching it. I bought it at Gamestop the day it was released and I still have my reciept. Does anyone know if Gamestop will let me return it for a new copy that is working? And by the way I bought the game NEW not used. I have no idea how this happened, and I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. My xbox did that to my Halo 3 MP disc in the ODST package, idk how it did it to mine either, jus one day I went to turn it on then disc unreadable, checked it an circular scratches.

DPayne
03-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Where exactly is the "scratch"? 'cause if it's pretty much within the hole of the disc, it happens to all my games, my only problem is getting kicked to the dashboard in BFBC2...
The scratch is on the disk itself. It isn't in the center part.

lololmao7
03-16-2010, 01:25 AM
That happened to me several times with some games. You should get disk condoms. They're like 50 cents

InsaneKane87
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM

Thats annoying, i hope there can be a patch to fix this. No other games have done this.

Jethrow
03-16-2010, 02:03 AM
I would be very surprised if they took it back, 99% sure they won't. Buff the disc a bit, use toothpaste or something, then try to install it to your hdd.

DPayne
03-16-2010, 02:27 AM
I would be very surprised if they took it back, 99% sure they won't. Buff the disc a bit, use toothpaste or something, then try to install it to your hdd.
I really hope that the 1% goes in my favor. Videogames do break just like everything else. I really have trouble seeing how they wouldn't just let me get a new one because I DO have the receipt and it hasn't yet been 30 days since the time of purchase. Anyways I will be heading there tomorrow morning before class....wish me luck!

Sampson
03-16-2010, 03:15 AM
If it's a circular scratch then it's probably because you moved your xbox when there was a disc in it.

aristokrat18
03-16-2010, 04:02 AM
You can try GameStop, but they probably won't take it. I had the same thing happen to my Beatles Rock Band disc, and I took it back to Wal-Mart for an exchange. I told them I got it as a gift and it just didn't work for some reason. Wal-Mart has a very liberal exchange policy, so they are your best bet. You don't need a receipt for in-kind exchanges there.

If that doesn't work, I successfully restored my Halo:CE from circular scratches using toothpaste (not gel) as a buffing agent. Put a little water on the disc and rub (with you pastey finger) in-and-out (from center to edge and back, not circularly!) and you will buff away some of the plastic making the disc readable again. It will leave small in-and-out scratches on the disc, but these will not affect functioning. There are lots of videos of this on youtube, but not all are correct. Some say rub circularly, but this will only worsen your problem.

In the future, I strongly recommend installing games to HD in order to prevent this from happening. You can't scratch a disc that isn't spinning!

DPayne
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I would take it to Wal-Mart but can't they scan the game and tell that it wasn't in their database?

XXPh3n0m3n4LXX
03-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Well guys the title pretty much says it all. I was playing BFBC2 today and I was on Port Valdez when all of a sudden my game says disk unreadable. At that moment I though nothing of it....until I took the disk out to clean it. There is a circular scratch on the disk that only goes around about 1/4 of the disk. The scratch isn't deep at all, as I can't even feel it by touching it. I bought it at Gamestop the day it was released and I still have my reciept. Does anyone know if Gamestop will let me return it for a new copy that is working? And by the way I bought the game NEW not used. I have no idea how this happened, and I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Take it to Blockbuster Video. They have some disc clean remover to remove dirt and small scratches... its worth a try...

HigH-SideR
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I would take it to Wal-Mart but can't they scan the game and tell that it wasn't in their database?

Try calling to xbox support, beacuse if it's your xbox that is ruining all of your games maybe they can send you a new xbox and replace your BF disc.

DPayne
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Try calling to xbox support, beacuse if it's your xbox that is ruining all of your games maybe they can send you a new xbox and replace your BF disc.
This is the first game that has gotten a scratch for me. I've had my elite for 2+ years and no problems.....Like I said before it's not a scratch that covers the whole disk. It only covers maybe 1/4 of it. It can only be seen if held in the correct lighting so I'm hoping Gamestop will exchange it for me because they can probably fix it themselves and re-sell it as used.

Nutty Scouser
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Blockbuster have a scratch cleaner it works a treat amazing how it works though

DPayne
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok if Gamestop won't exchange it, i'll try Wal-Mart and if they won't do it I will go to Blockbuster on my way home from class. Thanks for all the help.

Double2Seven
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
If there no chance in exchange, ask a game from a friend , instal on the hardrive and it will still work with your damaged game.

Strange thing, is that it happened to me with the same game, it satrted to apear disc unreadable, but when i checked the dvd no scratches at all, but sometimes i get botted to my dashboard, so i instaled in my harddrive and been playing like this.

I instal most of my games in my HD , maybe my xbox became laisy...lol

sir_taugs
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
This is why I install all my game on the hard drive. I don't have any scratches on my games. And I had many for over a year! :D And It keeps the xbox from getting hot and being loud. Also the game loads a shit ton faster. :D

Copyright
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I've heard the toothpaste thing before for CDs, but was always told to NEVER do that to a game disc. The person that told me, years ago, could be an idiot, I have no idea.
Have you ever tried this? If so, did it work?

DPayne
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Well guys good news. Though they said they were not supposed to exchange my game for a new one they did it anyways. They said it was because they recognize that I'm in there just about every 2 weeks or so buying a new game. So Gamestop isn't all bad and evil after all.:)