PDA

View Full Version : How Do I not view awards Showcase...

Rocket
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok, this isn't a bash against those of you who have awards. I'm happy for you, a real congratulations goes out to you. However, when I am on the forum I am usually at work. And on my computer, some images are not shown, like the one in particular that pisses me off the most is the NBA Live 1000 people online award. Its not viewable as just an image like the rest are, and to top it off it stretches so far that I have to scroll left to right to read posts. So, is there a way that I can not view these? Thanks, and again, its not a bash to the awardees.

Creech
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
On the menu bar select "User CP" (stands for control panel). On the left side choose "Edit Options" and various options for viewing messages pop up. Turn off avatars and images, and that should take care of it. If you want things to load faster, turn off signatures as well.

Hope that helps.

AOS Puck
03-20-2007, 02:35 PM
If the awards are stretching your window, it sounds like a browser problem to me. Get rid of IE and get Firefox plus Adblock and then you can just block the awards yourself.

P1NSEEKER
03-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I doubt he can do that on his work pc.

Rocket
03-20-2007, 02:40 PM
On the menu bar select "User CP" (stands for control panel). On the left side choose "Edit Options" and various options for viewing messages pop up. Turn off avatars and images, and that should take care of it. If you want things to load faster, turn off signatures as well.

Hope that helps.

Its not a loading problem, military computer, so very fast internet, just doesn't allow all images...its ghey

If the awards are stretching your window, it sounds like a browser problem to me. Get rid of IE and get Firefox plus Adblock and then you can just block the awards yourself.

You misunderstood, its because of the military software that blocks certain images, why it's blocking this one, i don't know...oh, and I can't get rid of IE...I have IE at home too, but there are no worries at home, just at work...I will try Creech's suggestion to see if it works...

Rocket
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Creech's method did not work...the only way to do this is to put the forum on DEFAULT STYLE...sux cause I like the look of the forum, but I guess I'll just have to suffice with the pale blue and white...

RoutineX
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I have noticed this myself at one computer lab at school.
It's because something called an alt tag on images (text to describe an image).

I see the award system uses the award name and description for the alt tag, so if it doesnt load successfullty it will stretch the whole block alot depending on the name of the award.

Like mentioned, the NBA award has the text:
NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter - Supported and helped others get the elusive 1000 people online achievement on NBA Live 07
and stretches the block with the width of that text.

I don't think an individual user can turn it on/off, but I'll check out the award system and remove the alt tag from the images.

Rocket
03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I have noticed this myself at one computer lab at school.
It's because something called an alt tag on images (text to describe an image).

I see the award system uses the award name and description for the alt tag, so if it doesnt load successfullty it will stretch the whole block alot depending on the name of the award.

Like mentioned, the NBA award has the text:
NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter - Supported and helped others get the elusive 1000 people online achievement on NBA Live 07
and stretches the block with the width of that text.

I don't think an individual user can turn it on/off, but I'll check out the award system and remove the alt tag from the images.

Whew, at least I'm not the only one who has had this problem...if you somehow fix it, hopefully you can post back in here so I can check...

RoutineX
03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Try now :p

Rocket
03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Try now :p

Nope, still stretches the screen...:confused:

RoutineX
03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Try to press the refresh button (or press F5 button) in your browser.

I found the code that added all that text to the images and removed it, so it should be gone now.

Edit:
I also found out about that NBA award. It was hosted on DaKings photobucket account. Since it's a free image hosting site, it's probably blocked by your proxy.

I've added the pic to our domain where it should be.
Does it appear now?

Rocket
03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Try to press the refresh button (or press F5 button) in your browser.

I found the code that added all that text to the images and removed it, so it should be gone now.

Edit:
I also found out about that NBA award. It was hosted on DaKings photobucket account. Since it's a free image hosting site, it's probably blocked by your proxy.

I've added the pic to our domain where it should be.
Does it appear now?

Its fixed now. And yes, the Pic appears now. Thank you. Now I can view without scrolling left to right....I appreciate it...