PDA

View Full Version : Possible Game Room achievement guide/summary of wallet rapeage

ApochWeiss
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
So, I was floored by the fact that the Game Room actually has achievements. I really didn't expect that. After looking at them, it seemed costly, but at the same time since not much is known, I decided to sort them out by freebies, which would cost very little, and the ones that will possibly rape your wallet, as well as guess at possible cheap/quick ways to unlock 'em. It also put my mind (and wallet) at ease knowing that it may very well not cost as much as we all think.

Also please note this is all just up for discussion and speculation so I really didn't give much of a damn about the proper formatting.

FREEBIES:
(No need to buy a damn thing, I think. Not so sure on Show Me! since I have no idea if the Showcase Arcade refers to where you buy the games, or if it means some sort of spot in your/friend's arcade where your medals are displayed, in which case it may be achievable by visiting a friend's, if not, then would require one cabinet and a medal)

The Visitor 5
Visit a Friend's arcade

Show Me! 5
Visit the Showcase Arcade

REQUIRE AT LEAST ONE CABINET (IN YOUR ROOM OR A FRIEND'S ROOM):
(just like it says, but it's unclear if these will require you to BUY one, or if you can play a cabinet that is a pay per play cabinet that I have read about)

My First Game 5
Place a Game Cabinet in your arcade

The Player 5
Play a Friend's Game Cabinet

My First Win 5
Win a Challenge

My First Challenge 5
Send a Challenge

Too Cool for my Score 20
Beat your own High Score in a game

My Blisters have Blisters! 5
Play a game for 1 hour continuously

Arcade Junkie 20
Spend 4 hours total playing games in your arcade

Retro Addict 20
Spend 8 hours total playing games in your arcade

Go to Sleep 20
Spend 16 hours total playing games in your arcade

Machine not Man 20
Spend 24 hours total playing games in your arcade

Matchstick Eyes 20
Spend 36 hours total playing games in your arcade

Challenge Chief 5
Win 10 Challenges

Challenge Master 20
Win 20 Challenges
(Challenge Chief/Master MAY be possible on one machine. I figure a challenge is to beat a high score or something. If so, simply play, die/lose, send a challenge. Friend beats challenge then immediately dies/loses. Repeat. If assumption is correct you could also work together to the Arcade Junkie-Matchstick Eyes achievements, grab Too Cool for my Score, My First Win, My first Challenge, as well as The Player, all within 20 challenges)

POSSIBLE WALLET RAPE:
(Not sure if any of these things are free, such as themes for getting medals or beating challenges, and if "fill the room" means you have to buy the machines. You could possibly fill it with demo versions that you would pay each time you go to play them)

My First Theme 5
Place a Theme in your arcade

Theme Filler 20
Place 5 unique Themes in your arcade

Fancy Arcade 20
Theme an entire arcade with unique Themes

My First Mascot 5
Activate a Mascot in your arcade

My First Decoration 5
Place a Decoration in your arcade

Proptastic 20
Place 5 arcade Decorations in your arcade

Room Filler 20
Fill an entire room
(It is unclear if, to obtain this, you need to fill the room with cabinets, decorations, and/or themes. This may cost an arm and a leg, or be relatively cheap through the use of pay per play machines and friend's cabinets/game rooms)

POSSIBLE WALLET RAPE, MEDAL STYLE:
(If you can acquire these medals through the pay per play cabinets, or while in friend's game rooms that are pay per play, would make the cost of obtaining the full 1000 a lot less. But it's Microsoft so they probably only unlock if you buy the full version, and it's unclear how many medals there will be per game. Some of these could POSSIBLY be unlocked through challenges, and if so, hey, you're further on your way to your 1000G)

My First Medal 5
Win your first Medal

Medal Variety 5
Win a Medal of each Type (Point Buster, Survivalist, Time Spender)

Double Trouble 20
Win 2 Medals of each type (2x Point Buster, 2x Survivalist, 2x Time Spender)

Medal Collector 20
Win 3 Medals

80s Skilled 20
Win 6 Medals

Game Beater 20
Win 9 Medals

Arcade Hustler 20
Win 12 Medals

Retro Expert 20
Win 15 Medals

The New Old Schooler 20
Win 18 Medals

Medal Enthusiast 20
Win 21 Medals

Arcade Shark 20
Win 24 Medals

Can't Touch This! 20
Win 27 Medals

Retro Master 20
Win 30 Medals

Check My Skillz 20
Win 33 Medals

Minted 20
Win 36 Medals

Medaltastic 20
Win 39 Medals

Fly Skillz 20
Win 42 Medals

Medal Masher 20
Win 45 Medals

I Like Shiny Things 35
Win 48 Medals

Medal Smasher 20
Win 10 Medals of each type

Medal Mad 50
Win 20 Medals of each type

Point Buster 20
Win 5 Point Buster Medals

Point Slammer 20
Win 10 Point Buster Medals

Survivalist 20
Win 5 Survivalist Medals

Survival of the Fittest 20
Win 10 Survivalist Medals

Time Spender 20
Win 5 Time Spender Medals

Time Crazy 20
Win 10 Time Spender Medals

LEVELS...MORE POSSIBLE WALLET RAPE?:
(what the fuck are levels and how do you gain experience in a fucking build your own arcade arcade?! More possible wallet rape?)

Level Up! 20
Reach Level 2

Level 5! 20
Reach Level 5

Level 8! 20
Reach Level 8

Level 11! 20
Reach Level 11

Level 14! 20
Reach Level 14

Level 17! 20
Reach Level 17

Level 20! 50
Reach Level 20

Well, that's my view on all of this. What do you guys think?

speed gun
03-20-2010, 11:14 AM
i think we shouldn't get arcade until they decide to make things free inside it
if no-ones buys it then they'll have no choice (maybe)

iJon72
03-20-2010, 05:07 PM
looks good but i only have 800 msp left so i will see how much i can get with that =p hopefully wont cost too much

Deathr0t
03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
hahaha, I like the way you sorted that, very nice

yippy smalz
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
It could be that the ability for decorations and themes are based on themes u have or unlocked through playing in the srcade, unless its been established that it does cost money let me know

d00gler
03-21-2010, 01:17 AM
So, I was floored by the fact that the Game Room actually has achievements. I really didn't expect that. After looking at them, it seemed costly, but at the same time since not much is known, I decided to sort them out by freebies, which would cost very little, and the ones that will possibly rape your wallet, as well as guess at possible cheap/quick ways to unlock 'em. It also put my mind (and wallet) at ease knowing that it may very well not cost as much as we all think.

If you don't believe it will cost as much as we all think, you're nuts! The majority of arcade titles released now are 1200MSP, just about ALL of them used to be 800, much more reasonable for a game that probably won't have enormous replayability. Prepare to be bled if you want to waste your time with the arcade room!

ApochWeiss
03-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I swear to you all I thought someone deleted this post. I was furious haha. Then I thought, wait, search is my friend, and found it here.

hahaha, I like the way you sorted that, very nice

Thank you. I can see this not actually costing too much, but I think deep down we all know it'll probably run us a good deal of money.

If you don't believe it will cost as much as we all think, you're nuts! The majority of arcade titles released now are 1200MSP, just about ALL of them used to be 800, much more reasonable for a game that probably won't have enormous replayability. Prepare to be bled if you want to waste your time with the arcade room!

Honestly I think a good chunk of these will be obtained WITHOUT breaking the bank if what I read on-line after posting this is true. That, and many of my suggested possibilities MAY hold to that.

From what I understand, we'll all be allowed to demo each game. IF we can earn things like medals from those free games, there will be plenty of chanes to unlock medal related achievements. Also, all decorations, mascots and themes are tied to these games you have int he arcade, so I would assume (but you know what happens when you assume) that the more you play one, and the more medals you unlock, the more of those three you unlock. If that's the case, then you'll get these three things from playing the games, as well as unlock further achievements for playing games in the arcade in general. I'm sure you could buy them as well, but they may be free in the first place. We'll all have to see, but from the articles I've read, I'm gonna say these things are free.

You can also play the games as pay per play, which makes the arcade a HELL of a lot easier to fill if you put the cabinets in there even for this purpose. This means you don't even have to purchase the cabinets, or hell, even touch them! Just add them to your arcade and fill it up to unlock more achievements.

The ONLY achievements that have me puzzled at this time are the level up ones. I don't understand how you gain levels. Perhaps by the amount of medals you unlock? Maybe by the amount of hours you play the game or medals? I guess we have to wait until Wednesday to see that first hand.

But, as of right now, it's actually only looking like, to get a good majority of the achievements, you only need 1 cabinet (which I'm not sure how much it'll cost. I think I read 240 MSP, could be wrong) and a friend with a cabinet in his/her arcade. So, find a buddy when it hits, or before, and you're already guaranteed some gamerscore if you put a few hours into it. Clearly you need to spend at least 36 hours of game play to the arcade, but I am not sure if this means you actually have to PLAY the games for the time to add up, or if you can simply stand in your arcade without even bothering to touch one of the machines. Hopefully either I or someone can confirm that as soon as possible.

edit:
Microsoft plans to release new games each week, with over 1,000 classics made available in the next few years. The games will cost between 240-400 Microsoft points ($3-$5), but can also be played just once for 40 Microsoft Points ($.50). Once you purchase a title, you can access it on either your PC or your Xbox 360.So, there ya go. To get a good chunk of the achievements if my assumptions are correct, you will simply need 240 points (I believe I read originally it was to be 240 per format, 360 or GFWL, and a bundle price to play it on both).

Also, anyone have the list of games coming out for the Game Room? I can't find it anywhere.

Raistlin_156
03-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Also, anyone have the list of games coming out for the Game Room? I can't find it anywhere.

Here is the confirmed list for Day 1:

Adventure
Armor Battle
Asteroids Deluxe
Astrosmash
Battlantis
Centipede
Combat
Crystal Castles
Finalizer
Football
Jungler
Lunar Lander
Millipede
Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing
Outlaw
RealSports Tennis
Red Baron
Road Fighter
Scramble
Sea Battle
Shao-Lin's Road
Space Armada
Space Hawk
Star Raiders
Sub Hunt
Super Cobra
Tempest
Tutankham
Yars' Revenge

As a side note, I know I'll be doing the Game Room thing as I was a big arcade nut back in the day. As crazy as it sounds, I'll be doing most every game as well. So if I can help anyone here with achievements just let me know. I'll outfit the room with just about everything making it easier / cheaper to get them in somebody else's room versus buying them all.

In respect to leveling-up, I was thinking it was tied into the challenges. It might be just a simple accumulation of those makes your level higher. Might be a combination of that, time spent in the arcade, and your achievements, but we'll know for certain come Wednesday.

Raistlin 156

mydefposse
03-21-2010, 11:10 PM
I think as ApochWeiss said you will be able to get a lot of them on just 240msp and a friend. Depending on if you find a game you're really good at, otherwise it may take a little more 'till you find a game you can level up on all the way.

Clearly you need to spend at least 36 hours of game play to the arcade, but I am not sure if this means you actually have to PLAY the games for the time to add up, or if you can simply stand in your arcade without even bothering to touch one of the machines. Hopefully either I or someone can confirm that as soon as possible.

I think this will be actually playing games and not just standing as the actually cheevo is "Spend X hours playing games in your arcade". But I guess we will have to wait and see.

ApochWeiss
03-22-2010, 03:19 AM
I think this will be actually playing games and not just standing as the actually cheevo is "Spend X hours playing games in your arcade". But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Well the reason why I say that is because there are some retail games that state "play the game for X amount of hours", like Wartech, but in reality you just needed the game on. I got the achievements quickly by just leaving my console on over night to rack up hours, then do something to make it save then exit. So I'm wondering if it might follow the same principle in one of two ways:

Either just stay in your Game Room for X amount of time, or bring the cabinet up and stay there with the game loaded, then do something to trigger a memory save (such as play a game and lose or win, it would need to save the scores due to the inclusion of medals) of some kind to keep the record of time wasted in said arcade.

Shelton
03-22-2010, 06:30 AM
My interpretation of the 'Room Filler' is a little different to yours. I think it is for filling the room with people, as opposed to cabinets. What would happen when you fill your room with cabinets and you want to buy a new one? You replace one you've already bought? Wouldn't like a system like that personally.

I'm sticking by my "you'll need to buy at least 20 games" spiel. 20 medals of each type will require you to play 20 different games, unless you can get them more than once. Doubt it though. I'd be very surprised if MS allow you to earn these medals at your friends arcade too. They'd be losing money by allowing this.

Could be incredibly wrong. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Guess we'll see on Wednesday.

ApochWeiss
03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
My interpretation of the 'Room Filler' is a little different to yours. I think it is for filling the room with people, as opposed to cabinets. What would happen when you fill your room with cabinets and you want to buy a new one? You replace one you've already bought? Wouldn't like a system like that personally.

I'm sticking by my "you'll need to buy at least 20 games" spiel. 20 medals of each type will require you to play 20 different games, unless you can get them more than once. Doubt it though. I'd be very surprised if MS allow you to earn these medals at your friends arcade too. They'd be losing money by allowing this.

Could be incredibly wrong. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Guess we'll see on Wednesday.

I doubt it. According to what I read you get something like 9 rooms total for your arcade. Maybe 12, I forget exactly what it said, but it's more then 1 room. It would take A LOT of people to fill one room. I understand your train of thought but not even Microsoft would be THAT evil haha. I figure you could probably fit maybe 15 max cabinets in one room, if that. Considering it could be up to 9-12 rooms, I figure maybe each room gets 9 machines with future options of building more rooms as more cabinets become available.

Throw in the decorations and themes (free or not) and mascots and you could fill your room easily. Hopefully the pay-per-play games count as cabinets you can put in your arcade since friends DO come into your arcade and pay to play them (which I find to be really stupid, if you go into someone's arcade and you own that game you shouldn't pay to play, but maybe Microsoft has that handled and it was never reported)

As far as the medals go, yeah I'm thinking it's one medal of each type per game. But then again, arcade games have 12 achivements. So maybe we're looking at 3 medals per type per game. And again, who knows, maybe they can be acquired by simply throwing in 40 MSP for one play in an arcade. No one knows what they will be, how difficult they will be, etc. I'm going to hope they won't be few and far between with difficult tasks, but it's As far as the medals go, yeah I'm thinking it's one medal of each type per game. But then again, arcade games have 12 achivements. So maybe we're looking at 3 medals per type per game. And again, who knows, maybe they can be acquired by simply throwing in 40 MSP for one play in an arcade. No one knows what they will be, how difficult they will be, etc. I'm going to hope they won't be few and far between with difficult tasks, but it's Microsoft, so I'm sure to be able to obtain all of the medals needed, we may have to spend a total of $60 (standard US for retail and 1000 possible GS) total, more or less.

I intend to grab the Game Room when I get home (unless it hits the arcade by 6am EST, I forget what time it updates for my time zone) so when I do I'll probably start working on an achievement guide for this, except look at it more as a cost vs. time ratio instead of simply time vs. ease. It's obvious that lack of skill will get you the achievements, but who knows how much money you'll spend if you suck haha.

Cheese Touch
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
An easy way to get the time achievements would be to purchase the Atari 2600 Adventure. The key for the gold castle is right where you start and you can hide in the castle for as long as you like. Should be an easy survivalist medal, too.

Hellhog
03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I can't wait to see how the achievements work and will eventually decide if I want to try this or go down the road and pop real quarters into the arcade at the bowling alley (which is awesome!).

Also, Official pricing:
(I would source but go to any site and search their archives and you'll find this)

240 MS points ($3) for single liscense on Xbox LIVE or Games for Windows - LIVE
400 MS points ($5) for a dual liscense to play on both Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows - LIVE
40 MS points ($.50) for a single play like at the actual arcade

Personally, I'll be sticking to the single liscense for Xbox LIVE. GFWL was a fail for me. I tried it out with Tinker and Microsoft has shown me that they don't care about the post launch support of those titles as much as they do the Xbox 360. (that and my laptop gets really hot when I play games on it that are of newer quality).

Hairy Cabbage
03-24-2010, 12:04 AM
i think we shouldn't get arcade until they decide to make things free inside it
if no-ones buys it then they'll have no choice (maybe)

or you could just suck it up and pay what... lets face it... very littlethey ask for (260msp or whatever) to a cabenit... and if u cant pay that... dont pay it, its simple...

Grishnaar
03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Was listening to the Major Nelson podcast and he had an interview with the Microsoft Game Studios guy that was lead on the Game Room project giving an overview of everything.

I believe he said that the game room will have 3 levels or "floors" and each floor will have 3 "rooms" with enough space for 4 cabinets per room. If that's correct then there's enough space for 36 cabinets in your whole game room. That's quite a lot of room to grow before you will need to swap out machines because you have too many.

There's apparently a mascot for every cabinet so all you need to do is buy one game and you've got a mascot. I don't remember him elaborating at all on the themes as far as how you get them, but he said they will be things like Aztec Temple or Spaceship Corridor, shit like that and I think you can apply them by "floor".

-Grishnaar

chriscutis
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I have 75gs without buying a thing yet. One for pressing start. Two for unique themes, you have enough at start to get the one and five theme cheeves, more unlocked as you level up. You have enough decorations to fill a room without buying a thing and you'll get 3 achievements for that, one item, five items, and filling the room.

ApochWeiss
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
When I get home from work tonight I'll create an actual guide. Luckily MS has included 2 free game packs on the Live servers so getting 1000 should be pretty damn cheap. Grabbing the room and the packs while I type and will actually compose the guide when I get home from work, which will be alittle later then planned seeing as I have no way home at the moment :mad:

tEhHoLLoW
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't think the Free Game Packs means free games to play, it's only free so you can see all the Arcade in the Game Room and can test the Game in a friends Arcade. You still have to pay for all Games you want to play.

And every 20 Medals you gain a Level. Pretty damn hard to get Level 20

ApochWeiss
03-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I started an ACTUAL achievement guide and roadmap. Just bare with me since the Game Room software won't work for me for some reason. Gonna redownload I guess and hope that helps. ><

KingBroly
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
You can get into the Showcase Arcade by spamming X. It takes 7-10 presses.

Cheese Touch
03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
One thing to be aware of is that games without a proper "score" like Adventure and Outlaw only have the "total time" medal. Not the best value for your money if you want to concentrate on ranking up.

So far, I think the arcade is ok. It will take a while to rank up fully since it takes so many medals and there is plenty of room in the arcade for a lot of games. I wish the price point for games were a little lower, but other than I'm pleased. I'd recommend getting a real arcade stick if you'll be spending a lot of time in the arcade, though. That XBox 360 analog pad just doesn't cut it. I have a Street Fighter IV Tournament stick and I highly recommend it. You can buy replacement gates to make it an 8-way stick and you can rotate the Japanese 4-way gate to make an American 4-way gate.

mjpartyboy
03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
The Game Room isn't very intuitive is it.

So far I've got 80G for free:

Show Me!
My First Theme
The Visitor
My First Decoration
Theme Filler
Proptastic
Room Filler

Chrome30
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Okay, I sat down and played this for 8 hours yesterday...I wasn't even trying. I started messing around with it and playing games and the next thing you know I have like 30 of the 56 achievements.

If you want to level up you are going to have to buy cabinets or spend the 40msp to play a cabinet and hope you are really good at said game.

You earn medals (obviously) by three methods 1. Score busting (beat a certain score and get a medal) 2. Survivalist (last x amount of time and earn a medal) 3. Time Spender (spend a certain amount of time in a game accumulating time and earn a medal).

Medals break down as standard medals do i.e. Bronze, Silver and Gold and I believe they are 2, 3, and 5 points respectively. When you get a certain medal score you level up. There are 50 levels. So, if you are going for the achievements you pretty much have to get a LOT of gold medals to reach level 50. I am at level 5 currently and have about 9 or 10 golds.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up on Gameroom...Later!

mydefposse
03-26-2010, 02:19 PM
The Game Room isn't very intuitive is it.

So far I've got 80G for free:

Show Me!
My First Theme
The Visitor
My First Decoration
Theme Filler
Proptastic
Room Filler

Same here, plus the first mascot one as i had a few MSP left so decided to get one.

Will be putting more MSP on at the weekend so hopefully will buy a few cabinets and give the cheevos a shot!

IVI RYANNA IVI
03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
THEMES ARE FREE :) So you can get like 50ish Gamerscore from using the themes. Click on a room in the 'my arcade' menu and change the theme by pressing 'Y' :)