PDA

View Full Version : Need of caps

JG360
03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I've got 222 caps and am in need of more desperatly and i dont have items to sell anybody got any tips much appreciated.

McGoogles
03-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes. Play on very easy and explore the (minefield (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Minefield)). Pick up all the frag mines you see and sell them to merchants in Rivet City, Megaton, Paradise Falls, Big Town, etc.

In the minefield, there will be about 6 houses to explore. Inside those houses, you will gander upon a lot of (pre-war books (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pre-war_books)). These sell to Scribe Yearling in the Arlington Library for 100 caps each. Be on the lookout for these when you are exploring elsewhere.

When a Brotherhood of Steel member dies, you can pick up his/her dogtag and sell it to Scribe Jameson in the A-Wing of the Citadel for 100 caps each.

Go to this thread for what items to pick up and a good way to make caps:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=200594

wtmxwl III
03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Try picking up random items, anything will sell.

maxpwns
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
well if you have any of the DLC play mothership zeta and take as many drone cannons as you can and sell them on earth (they're value is 999)

Kai Freefall
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
well if you have any of the DLC play mothership zeta and take as many drone cannons as you can and sell them on earth (they're value is 999)

Also, isn't there a guy on mothership or has a **** load of caps on him, just kill him and there yours :)

McGoogles
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
well if you have any of the DLC play mothership zeta and take as many drone cannons as you can and sell them on earth (they're value is 1999)

Fixed it for you. ;)

Also, isn't there a guy on mothership or has a **** load of caps on him, just kill him and there yours :)

There is a woman on the ship who has 100 repair and you can pay her to fix all your best weapons. Then you can kill her if you want and get your caps back.

Kebabsaurus Rex
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
kill all raiders, mutants, take their stuff, sell

rinse and repeat

Pogo27
03-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Pay closer attention to the items you're picking up while you're adventuring.

When I first played Fallout 3, I had no experience playing any Bethesda games at all. I started picking up EVERYTHING. I was over-encumbered with ashtrays, coffee mugs, and clipboards before I even got out of Vault 101.

You only want to carry items that sell well in relation to their weight. And you can see both numbers before you even pick it up.

And yes, there are items like prewar books that certain NPCs are looking for. Don't forget scrap metal for megaton as well.

But for stuff to sell to vendors? Well, first off, anything that is ammunition has 0 weight. Mini-nukes, railway spikes, darts, missiles, etc all included. If you're like me though, you simply prefer to shoot your ammo rather than sell it.

Items that do best to the vendors? Prewar money. Cigarettes. Nuka-colas. Drugs and alcohol. These things have little-to-no-weight.

Moreover, when selling to vendors, they only carry so many caps. Before you off-load all your items, make sure you pay attention to how many caps you're getting. When the arrow showing the caps going to you fades, that means you're giving the vendor items for free because they don't have enough caps to pay you.

For me, I will usually sell them as much as they can afford to buy, then spend that money having them repair all my items, and then selling them more stuff. Or, if that still isn't enough, I'll spend money buying all the ammunition they have in exchange for my items.

Another trick I learned, which doesn't necessarily help earn extra caps, but certainly helps save you from spending caps... find Fort Independence. The Outcast soldiers there are quite helpful. You can take them energy weapons, power armor, and junk like sensor modules, scrap metal, etc. and they will give you assault rifle ammunition, stimpaks, and some other things in exchange. Fort Independence is southwest of Megaton. Kind of East-Northeast from the Robco factory.

TRUEBLADE KP
03-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I usually pick up items with lower weight that are more valuable when I am trying to make money. Also, try selling some of the larger, more powerful weapons that you find. The stronger the weapon, the more caps that you will get when you sell it. Always try to use speech challenges to get more caps for completing a task for somebody as well. Even if you fail a challenge, it won't penalize you. Hope this helped.