PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any tips on speed running?

DogPoloni
03-22-2010, 12:42 AM
For agent, prefferably. Just need a few tips to help me out.

The only one I can give whilst I'm here is:

Use the cut scenes to your advantage, the movement of enemies and any other vehicles still occur during cut scenes. A good example is with mission 2: dataDyne Research. If you wait out the whole cutscene, by the time you reach the part where you are waiting for the small electronic bug to pass the lasers it would have already arrived conveniantly at the first laser field for you.

Zee
03-22-2010, 12:55 AM
http://speedrunwiki.com/Perfect_Dark

Quite a good resource for speed running. Has a few videos and tips. Although, some of them are crazy, and a few things were patched in the new version. Such as, in level 7, you can't blow up the 4th objective from the wall anymore. I think they tweaked the explosions to not go trough walls. Anyway, I haven't really looked at any of the tips or videos yet. Just skimmed really, but the ones I looked at seem very helpful, and the videos vary in quality it seems.

Untitled Agent
03-22-2010, 02:25 AM
strafe run all the time, ignore any enemies with weaker weapons (on agent you can just ran past pretty much everyone for most of the missions since their aim sucks), use auto aim (yes it's cheap but it's faster than stopping to kill someone in your way). also, changing weapons from the pause menu rather than using LB is usally faster.

Snake 711
03-22-2010, 07:02 AM
strafing, run fasterrrrrrr

OverkillChaos
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I'll beat any mission quickly for anyone I have all crowns including all the stars. Just missing the Joanna crown and all 200G's will be mine :p

DogPoloni
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll beat any mission quickly for anyone I have all crowns including all the stars. Just missing the Joanna crown and all 200G's will be mine :p

Can you point me towards a comment where you don't brag about being one of the best in the world? It's getting monotonous. Making such a comment isn't relevant towards this thread at all. Instead of flaunting yourself maybe you can actually help those who are struggling. But I doubt you will now because I came out as quite rude, which was sort of intended, but I'm getting tired of seeing your comments in every thread about how you have all crowns and stars and wanting to be in the top 20 in the world. Look, we get it, repeating your comments in every thread isn't helping at all.

BanditBanks
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

I think a lot of people are getting sick of this guy haha. Myself definatly included.

I'm higher than him on almost everything in the leaderboards, I'm not flaunting myself by saying where I am, but damn this guy needs to get knocked down a peg.

Anyway, for the speed tricks, as someone else said, you can pretty much run through every level on Agent without worrying about dying since they do little damage and are very innacurate.

In Perfect Agent, any level that has the CMP150 in it will be rather easy, the secondary function on that acts as if you were playing with auto-aim from Agent mode haha.

Mike, Yeah?
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
strafing, run fasterrrrrrr

How do you actually strafe run in this game? I remember on the 64 pressing two of the C buttons made you go faster but I can't work out how to do it on the XBox.

Also, a bit off topic but does anyone know where to find a list of the target times for each level without playing through them one by one?

Nissa Hunter
03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Also, a bit off topic but does anyone know where to find a list of the target times for each level without playing through them one by one?

here's a list http://perfectdark.retropixel.net/pd/cheats/ ;)

Mike, Yeah?
03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
here's a list http://perfectdark.retropixel.net/pd/cheats/ ;)

Thanks man!

Shelton
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
http://speedrunwiki.com/Perfect_Dark

Quite a good resource for speed running. Has a few videos and tips. Although, some of them are crazy, and a few things were patched in the new version. Such as, in level 7, you can't blow up the 4th objective from the wall anymore. I think they tweaked the explosions to not go trough walls. Anyway, I haven't really looked at any of the tips or videos yet. Just skimmed really, but the ones I looked at seem very helpful, and the videos vary in quality it seems.

I can't even tell what some of the players are doing in the video's, they're so quick! Once I slow it down and study everything they do, I should be well equipped for a speed run. Thanks for posting the link. :)

Incompl33t
03-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Tips I find useful:

1) As you said, use cutscenes to your advantage - G5 Building is a prime example, as almost everyone knows, but I'll explain anyway, by leaving your Camspy in the area nearby and placing the Door Decoder and quickly pushing your Camspy forward, you can skip the horde without gaining any extra time.

2) Find creative uses for the equipment given to you. An example of this is using the Remote Mine on Agent in Chicago as a distraction, or throwing your Laptop Sentry on a roof in PA on Villa to take out the snipers with minimal effort.

3) Never stay still unless you're paused. Speed Strafing is compulsary if you're aiming to get anywhere near the top. If you're in desperate need to reload, you can do it quicker by pausing, selecting a different gun, re-selecting the gun you're using and unpausing.

4) Do it yourself. Sometimes you'll get objectives such as shutting down experiments in Research. It's a lot quicker to find the terminal yourself than it is to clear the area, go through dialogue and end up having to run back and do it yourself anyway if he alerts security.

5) Know enemy spawns. If you know where the enemies spawn, you can easily avoid heading that way and saving yourself from staring down a K7 Avenger.

JonnyBlazin5
03-23-2010, 12:10 AM
How exactly do you speed strafe in this game? Given that it is on the same joystick it doesn't seem to give any speed advantage.

Am I missing something?!:confused:

Incompl33t
03-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Not sure. Might depend on your control setup.

HoppyHippo
03-23-2010, 12:18 AM
What I usually do is to leave the left analog in one fixed direction, I get a speed boost after 2 or 3 seconds of holding it, then I turn with the rigth analog.

JonnyBlazin5
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Not sure. Might depend on your control setup.

What setup do you recommend for speed running then? It obviously seems to be working for you :p

Incompl33t
03-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Well I use Duty Calls, lol, as it's just CoD controls on PD.

Untitled Agent
03-23-2010, 03:26 AM
How exactly do you speed strafe in this game? Given that it is on the same joystick it doesn't seem to give any speed advantage.

Am I missing something?!:confused:
if you're using classic controls, hold the left stick up and to the left or right. it's actually easier to strafe run now since you can manage to aim where to run more easily (using the right stick). and as mentioned, you speed up if you keep moving in one direction for some reason.

super METAL hea
03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
My biggest problem on most of the levels is that I canīt open the lift doors so quick as the guys in the Videos do.Like on Area 51:Infiltration(I also call the lift before placing the explosives but when I get back it still isnīt there and takes additional 15-20sec to open.)or on Area 51:Rescue(I canīt call any of these lifts so fast and I also canīt close them so fast as the guys in the Videos do).Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??:confused:
(http://speedrunwiki.com/Area_51:_Rescue)

Zee
03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
The AI screws with the lifts. If they spot you, sometimes they call for them, I also had some trouble with the lift doors in that level, make sure you're hitting the edge of the door, or it sometimes doesn't work.

Incompl33t
03-24-2010, 11:07 PM
My biggest problem on most of the levels is that I canīt open the lift doors so quick as the guys in the Videos do.Like on Area 51:Infiltration(I also call the lift before placing the explosives but when I get back it still isnīt there and takes additional 15-20sec to open.)or on Area 51:Rescue(I canīt call any of these lifts so fast and I also canīt close them so fast as the guys in the Videos do).Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??:confused:
(http://speedrunwiki.com/Area_51:_Rescue)

Make sure you don't get caught on anything, and don't stop moving, otherwise you won't make it. Unless the AI is pissing about with the lifts, it should be open.

snotface2
03-25-2010, 12:27 AM
I think they tweaked the explosions to not go trough walls.

you can still kill the skedar army on the last level before the green doors open

Zee
03-25-2010, 02:43 AM
you can still kill the skedar army on the last level before the green doors open I noticed this, but I think that is because it's glass, and you can shoot through the glass. Thus the explosion can go through it too.

toxictaz
03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
lol... why are they all looking down in there video's. are they hoping no one copy's there runs?