PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Gun sentry mode

AceMathias
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Has this been nerfed in sentry mode? When i throw this into sentry mode, especially in challenge 26, it only has enough rounds to kill 1 bot, sometimes not even that if its a quick perfect sim. Seems like it has less bullets and is less accurate then i remember when using it on the 64. I have watched youtube vids of people using it on the same challenge on the 64 and it seems to fire much more and kill more often. Has anyone else noticed this, or am i just pissed at perfect sims?

Wrecklaimer
03-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I noticed that, too.:confused: It's nearly useless for the firing range trick now. Had to do them legit. lol

rrrowdy
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
yeah agreed; this seems odd to me. if they were going to 'balance' weapons you'd think the farsight would have some serious revision going into it.

Incompl33t
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
yeah agreed; this seems odd to me. if they were going to 'balance' weapons you'd think the farsight would have some serious revision going into it.

Yeah, but it's almost impossible to balance a gun that shoots through walls, ain't it???? Lol

Yeah I think it was nerfed for online, but they changed it all over, I prefer to just use the primary function now.

Untitled Agent
03-23-2010, 05:01 AM
yeah, it's been nerfed big time. fire rate seems to be faster, but it seems to waste more ammo arcing than it used to, and seems to have less ammo than it used to. even the firing range challenge where you have to use the sentry took me a couple goes (and i can consistantly get that every attempt on the 64 version).
it makes no sense to nerf it, it definately wasn't overpowered given how little ammo it had in the first place (and how easy it still is to destroy).

doctorsparkles
03-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I haven't noticed any issues with the sentry's magazine capacity. I can usually get it to take down 2-3 low-to-mid level bots, which I don't think is so bad considering the sentry's 50 round capacity.

However, I have noticed that sometimes if you are very far away from where you placed it, it doesn't kill anything at all. I don't know if it's missing its target or not firing at all, but I don't remember having that issue with the N64 version.

WarlockSoL
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I haven't noticed any issues with the sentry's magazine capacity. I can usually get it to take down 2-3 low-to-mid level bots, which I don't think is so bad considering the sentry's 50 round capacity.

However, I have noticed that sometimes if you are very far away from where you placed it, it doesn't kill anything at all. I don't know if it's missing its target or not firing at all, but I don't remember having that issue with the N64 version.

I'm pretty sure in the original it would empty out its entire ammo stock, not just the 50 rounds in the clip. It has been like 10 years though since I played the original.

doctorsparkles
03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure in the original it would empty out its entire ammo stock, not just the 50 rounds in the clip. It has been like 10 years though since I played the original.

You had me doubting myself, so I hooked up my 64 to check (and let me tell you, after playing the updated version for the past week, the original really looks awful). Threw down a sentry after maxing out my ammo, and it took out 1 bot before running out (it took down 4 or 5 in a narrow hallway). I picked up another laptop gun from a weapon spawn and I had the maximum amount of ammo again, which suggests to me that the sentry only holds one clip.

SilverSluggerMZ
03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I just tried it myself. It will kill only one bot, possibly two if the other is very close by. Kind of irritating, but prevents laptop guns in sentry form all over the map I suppose.

WarlockSoL
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
You had me doubting myself, so I hooked up my 64 to check (and let me tell you, after playing the updated version for the past week, the original really looks awful). Threw down a sentry after maxing out my ammo, and it took out 1 bot before running out (it took down 4 or 5 in a narrow hallway). I picked up another laptop gun from a weapon spawn and I had the maximum amount of ammo again, which suggests to me that the sentry only holds one clip.

My memory must be bad then. It does definately seem weaker though.

Untitled Agent
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I just tried it myself. It will kill only one bot, possibly two if the other is very close by. Kind of irritating, but prevents laptop guns in sentry form all over the map I suppose.
you can only have one at a time though, when you chuck down another the first one explodes.

isw42
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Here's what you could do instead of doing it "legit" (even though getting 50 kills with any method would be considered legit without cheating).

Go to combat simulator and customize the weapons so that the laptop gun is in every slot. Fill the game with Easy Sims and set the score limits to infinity. Just keep picking up the guns each time your old one runs out of ammo. You should be able to get this one pretty quickly this way.

doctorsparkles
03-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Here's what you could do instead of doing it "legit" (even though getting 50 kills with any method would be considered legit without cheating).

Go to combat simulator and customize the weapons so that the laptop gun is in every slot. Fill the game with Easy Sims and set the score limits to infinity. Just keep picking up the guns each time your old one runs out of ammo. You should be able to get this one pretty quickly this way.

I don't think the issue is the sentry gun achievement. On the 64 version, people use a trick with the laptop sentry gun to get gold on the firing range. If the laptop gun is less powerful, people will have to do the firing range medals the way it was intended.

Untitled Agent
03-24-2010, 02:34 AM
I don't think the issue is the sentry gun achievement. On the 64 version, people use a trick with the laptop sentry gun to get gold on the firing range. If the laptop gun is less powerful, people will have to do the firing range medals the way it was intended.
preventing people from using the glitch would be a much better solution than nerfing the gun though.

doctorsparkles
03-24-2010, 04:27 AM
preventing people from using the glitch would be a much better solution than nerfing the gun though.
I'm not saying the laptop was changed to prevent people from using this trick (as I said before, I'm not entirely convinced it's been changed at all). I was just explaining to the poster before me what needs to be done 'legit' if the gun has been changed.

Personally, I've never used the firing range trick or even knew about it until very recently. If I wasn't good enough to get a gold star, I just didn't get a gold star and that was the end of it. Perhaps if I had used this tactic, the changes that all you guys are noticing would be more apparent to me.

Iceman2021
03-24-2010, 06:53 AM
It's a little slower to track than it was in the N64 one I believe. You have to constantly re-scope to hit someone moving to the side b/c they will move faster than you can aim.

AceMathias
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
My gripe wasn't for the glitch in the range (i can get all golds and didn't know about this method until after) or for the achievement (that just takes time), it was mainly as i was using it in challenge 26 and it only got one kill and rarely at that.
If the tracking speed has decreased then that explains it, but i wonder why they did that, i didn't think the gun was too OP.