PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland

Seraph Xii
03-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I was very disappointed with this film (the 2010 Tim Burton remake that is)

I loved Tim Burton's early films, but the latest ones (Corpse bride, charlie and the chocolate factory, sweeny todd etc...) I couldn't stand, strangely they all have Johnny Depp in it and I usually think he's a pretty good actor.

This one stands by the others, it tries too hard with atmosphere and a battle scene is completely out of place. The mad hatter didn't even seem mad, he came across more as a depressed hatter.

Anyway, this is just my opinion on the movie and it won't be shared by all, so what did you think of it? And about Tim Burton movies in general.

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
you hate corpse bride and sweeney todd so its safe to say you are mentally defected

/thread

Pez
03-23-2010, 11:18 PM
It's okay, the Nightmare Before Christmas is his, so I forgive him for any wrong he'll ever do. :)

Seraph Xii
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
you hate corpse bride and sweeney todd so its safe to say you are mentally defected

/thread

Well that's a constructive reply.

/Sarcasm

How about you post what I asked? Your opinion, rather than hating on mine.

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Well that's a constructive reply.

/Sarcasm

How about you post what I asked? Your opinion, rather than hating on mine.

Jeez calm down

I thought it was good , anything tim burton makes is awesome it has to be said

Seraph Xii
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Jeez calm down

Well why not just say that instead of a reply that could only provoke negativity? I'd have been happy with a reply like this.

Volzagia
03-25-2010, 09:00 PM
What did you expect Tim Burton is AWFUL!

Massa Siggy
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I thought it was too Depp-heavy. It could have been better, but it wasn't total crap.
I agree about the Corpse Bride, but I really loved Sweeney Todd (but I have a thing for musicals :p)

PerpetualHeaven
03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
I thought the movie was so mediocre. I didn't hate it, but I just feel depressed afterward. Tim Burton is generally a good director and Johnny Depp is generally fantastic. Low and behold, when someone does not completely understand a book the movie becomes a failure. The style of the movie was fantastic, though, but the screenplay was just treacherous. The whole screenplay felt like it was trying too hard.

Alice in Wonderland is suppose to be nonsensical and there was nothing nonsensical about the movie. The fact that some how everyone loved Alice before made it silly. The Hatter could give two shits about Alice! And he wasn't even remotely funny in the movie. The Scottish accent was so out of place and stupid. The dormouse was probably the worst character. She had no connection to her predecessor in the original Alice in Wonderland. I probably could go on and on. I've studied this book deeply in three different University literature classes. Let's just say I think they did a very poor job.

Angry Tom
03-26-2010, 02:02 AM
strangely they all have Johnny Depp in it

Not strange really, him and Tim Burton are literally best friends, so it makes sense that he'd be cast in his movies all the time.

dakisbac
03-26-2010, 02:08 AM
What did you expect Tim Burton is AWFUL!

This. The only half-decent movies he made was Edward Scissorhands.

HacksawDoomx187
03-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Tim Burton is the only remaining expressionist filmmaker. Because of that, his films are going to be too over the top for many viewers. Personally , I love Vincent(short film), Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, and Sweeney Todd. Everything else he has done has been either awful or alright. I have yet to see Alice and Wonderland so I'm reserving judgement for when that is released. Apparently, he is directing a film called Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which sounds dumb but I think could be an amusing film. He is also supposedly directing a remake of The Wizard of Oz, if that is true, I might have to murder him. He already butchered Planet of the Apes, I'd hate to see him do it to The Wizard of Oz.

Pope2000
03-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I thought this movie was one of Tim Burton's Best I would give it a 80/100

Tussell
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
This. The only half-decent movies he made was Edward Scissorhands.
Half-decent? That movie is phenomenal!

Owl
03-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree that his recent films haven't been the best. They have met my expectations, but have not exceeded them. I'mm honesty tired of his wife and Depp being in every...single....movie...:mad:

Lava Tonsil
03-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I had high hopes going to see this and left thinking it looked great but it was a pretty mediocre film. I really wanted to be impressed too as i like most Burton films.

padraiglovesyou
03-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I thought it was very "meh". I liked the Red Queen & the cat :D If they weren't in it I don't think I would've liked it.

jessd_25
03-29-2010, 03:14 AM
I just went last weekend and watched this in 3D. I felt as though I got completely ripped off! There was nothing 3D about the damn movie!!! It didn't even look cool, the atmosphere wasn't interesting or eyecatching in any way shape or form, and the movie was a complete bore-fest. There was like 2 action sequences and they lasted all of about 2 minutes each. What a waste of time and money.

Tussell
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I just went last weekend and watched this in 3D. I felt as though I got completely ripped off! There was nothing 3D about the damn movie!!! It didn't even look cool, the atmosphere wasn't interesting or eyecatching in any way shape or form, and the movie was a complete bore-fest. There was like 2 action sequences and they lasted all of about 2 minutes each. What a waste of time and money.
It wasn't supposed to be a constant 'EVERYTHING JUMPING IN YOU FACE'. That's just as boring as absolutely nothing happening. If you've seen 3D movies lately, you'd know that they make 'everything' 3D. It's not supposed to be the cheap thrills, it's supposed to make you feel like you're there.

MrBubbles x360a
04-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Jeez calm down

Tim Burton needs to stop rehashing old ideas and be creative like he was in the Nineties.

Barad
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I've not even watched it..yet.

TR3NT REZNOR
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I wasn't impressed but I still liked it I just expected a little more

Schryke
04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to.

I've enjoyed pretty much every Burton film I've seen, the only exception that springs to mind is Corpse Bride but I've been meaning to give that one a second chance because I LOVED Nightmare Before Christmas.

Exhausted Dad
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree completely it was just so..Blah. i just hate I took my whole family and ended up dropping about $70 on this. How To Train Your Dragon totally kicked this movie's ass.

KFZ Scrubs
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought it was pretty bad...... sorry.
I don't think Johnny Depp did good as the Mad Hatter either...... he wasn't that wacky.....more like the pissed off hatter.
Also, that shit he did at the end where he danced... only funny part of the movie.

Tussell
04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
...only funny part of the movie.
You realize this isn't a comedy right?

KFZ Scrubs
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
You realize this isn't a comedy right?
Yup.... but usually i find some humor in movies i watch.... well some movies have them intentionally put in there i guess.

adamh85
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Tim Burton generally make brilliant films but Alice in Wonderland was a bit of a let down for me still worth watching once, I think his best film is probably Big Fish.

RuYi
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Watched it yesterday, and I loved it. :)

FoxRacing1234
06-07-2010, 04:45 AM
I was disappointed the first time that I saw it and the second time, I liked it a little more. Still not that great but it was okay.

Crimson Ridley
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Watched it yesterday, and I thought it was pretty good. not one of Burton's best, nor Depp's, but it was still a good film.

For some reason though, all I could think of while watching it wasn't the Alice in Wonderland book itself, but Kingdom Hearts. I was just waiting for Sora and the gang to pop up suddenly. :p

PeelzMan
07-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Alice In Wonderland just seemed like Tim Burton was trying too hard to make it dark, and it just seemed to depressing.

Evelynee
08-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Disney's Alice in Wonderland is one of my all-time favourite animated movies, and since I grew to the respectable age of 15 and watched my first Burton movie, I've been like "Wow. If only Burton would make Alice in Wonderland, I would know that God has smiled upon me."

And so, the day came. I saw the trailer and thought that no, this can not be real. Bliss isn't this easy. And guess what: It wasn't.

I went to see it (In 3-D even!) and was utterly disappointed. I don't even know where to start. Everything that I had loved in the Disney movie was gone, and replaced with some generic Hollywood-plot. To make this simple, I will make a list:

*The cat was grey. GREY. Yeah, cause when I think about crazy, disappearing, floating cats in Wonderland, I think grey.
*Why did they all follow the queen? What was her power? The Jabberwocky? WTF.
*The card soldiers looked more like humans dressed up like cards to a masquerade.
*The red queen is a character in Through the looking-glass. The queen of hearts is a character in Alice in Wonderland.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. Last, but not least:
What was up with the plot? Seriously! Just freaking use the original story, you know, THE ONE THAT EVERYONE CAME HERE FOR.

Burton, get into the naughty corner with James Cameron and stay there.