PDA

View Full Version : Careful Guidence, pain in the ass

JesusBread
03-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Did anyone else find this achievement a pain in the ass? I spent about 45 minutes today just trying to shoot a helicopter with the stupid missile and every single time I got into a game where the helicopter pilots knew what they were doing. Half the time, i couldn't even get a shot off on it. Most of the games I ended up going 2 and 15 or something crappy like that...

And then... came the one game where I decided to just quit. I got on the missile launcher and noticed that the helicopter disappeared as soon as I got on. I looked around and couldn't find it. I decided to shoot at a barrel that was all the way across to map since it would make a huge explosion and right as my missile is going across the map, someone on the other team gets in a helicopter and lifts it up off the ground just enough for my missile to hit its tail.

It's kind of annoying how I spent so much time aiming and shooting at helicopters only to get the achievement by total luck. I'm not saying I'm not happy that it's finally over with, but I just kind of wish I had gotten it with skill and not luck.

Taiyz
03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
I know the feeling but all of the shots we've taken could've been done by a much more skilled person. There's never a way for a pilot to completely evade a rocket if it's controlled effectively...The problem is that controlling the rocket is a really tricky thing. I'm sure there's some dude out there who frequently gets these kills like it were nothing.

Personally I've wasted a lot of time (not necessarily lives, thankfully) trying to get that achievement...

Then one time I'm playing Isla Inocentes; there's a ton of Attackers sniping from every which way so I head backwards to the first Defender base to kill some of them on that island. After doing so, nobody's spawning near me anymore so I hop on the turret to try and get any boats coming my way...

Just as I do that, a chopper flies over my head, heading back to the first Attacker base to repair. I can't remember what I did at that point; I either wasted a shot by hitting the hill due to poor control after firing, or I decided to ignore it to cover boats. Just as a boat was coming around the side of the hill, I see the chopper rise from their base slowly. Slowly's the key word. I decide to ignore the boat (it goes on it's merry way; I don't know what eventually happened to it, whoops) and aim right at the helicopter. I completely miss my shot as the helicopter starts pulling forward, so I swing to the left and the rocket glides right into one of the miniguns, destroying the thing instantly.

So yeah. I like this achievement in that it's truly a challenge and each tale of how a person did it has a definite grand feel to it, but man is it a pain.

Cypher_Cobra
03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
You either get lucky, or you rig the achievement with a boosting partner.

HigH-SideR
03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
It's not really that hard. I've got it on the first try on both my account and my friends. First try ;) Maybe I haz teh sK1llzz?

M1keX
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM
i got lucky with this or it was skill idk :P but i fired the rocket after about 10 trys and i guide the rocket to the heli which looked like it was going miss but it manged to just clip the tail and down it went :D, but then 2 games later i had a heli hovering around and used a rocket to take it down with easy lol.

But if your not going to boost this one then be ready for a long wait and alot of near misses and hope for some luck :)

Cypher_Cobra
03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
No one honestly shoots down a chopper with a TOW and goes "Mission Accomplished." You just gotta pray that the Chopper either holds still or goes steady enough in a single direction and you just gotta pray that you can lead your missile into it just well enough that you contact.

When I fly a chopper my eye is always going back to the local TOW missile, even the slighting change in elevation throws them off.

sin3027
03-24-2010, 09:32 AM
If you want to shoot down a chopper with a missile you have to know were the chopper will fly. Once you know this shoot the missile in this direction an you should hit it.
Its important to shoot the missile before the chopper reach this region, in this case you only have to made little correction on the trajectory of the missile.

another possibility is to wait until the chopper i near the missile station .. then you can't miss it.

sorry for my bad english, hope you understand

stevie vip 99
03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
yeah can be a bit of a pain this one, found it easier to do on rush where they tend to head towards the m.com stations.

also a bit of luck is handy lol

RadiantViper
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
It was pretty funny when I got it. It was I believe Port Valdez, I'm on attackers and there's a helicopter at the final defenders base and a TOW at your final base on a building. I'm trying to shoot it down but of course the copter catches on and eventually collapses the building (I manage to escape). Thought I lost my chance but the TOW stays there on the collapsed roof, you can still use it. So I hop back on, but the copter thinks he's dealt with the TOW so now he's hovering more, and I manage to hit him :)

guillermo316
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
it becomes a pain when your trying to go for it, just play the game and it will come naturally? unless you want to just get the achievement and never your a rocket at agian then sure.

Barad
03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I've done this 4 times now :P just keep trying you will get it, i got it on the island map while defending the first base i think.

Ulquiorra14405
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
i've done this maybe 3-4 times by now its really hard to do and takes a lot of practice and some luck..when i got the achievement the pilot was good but wasn't fast enough getting past me and i had it aimed right on the cockpit for a good 10 seconds before i got the kill

Ginjasy
03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Easiest way I find is to Tag it first.

Juneaux
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Took me about five tries. I shot down a helicopter with the heavier tank once. I thought that was impressive since you really can't raise the turret that high and it was pretty far away.

AceBD
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm living proof that this achievement can be gotten by shooting down the enemy UAV with the stationary AT. I got my achievement on White Pass Conquest yesterday by shooting down the UAV with the AT that's by the dumpsters by the A flag.

djpj
03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I've killed a helicopter with an AT twice now, it's not that hard.

ZipCrash
03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I didn't feel like it was that hard either. Once you figure out how to shoot down a chopper, it's easy as hell to just keep knocking them out. Just wait for your shot, either when it's flying directly at you or slows down enough for you to get a straight shot. I actually got the achievement when I missed but I guided the rocket into the side of the chopper. Killed the gunner right away. lol I'm constantly shooting down choppers with my rocket launcher (forget the name, the last one you unlock).

Natetendo83
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
What I ended up doing was playing Conquest on the big desert map (with the two helicopters that spawn at each base) and the enemy team was spawn camping us and they tried to steal our helicopter and I was standing next to the AT and there happened to be a hole in the wall already so I just took a shot as they were trying to take off. They weren't even off the ground yet when I blew them up but the achievement unlocked anyways lol

a blind beggar
03-24-2010, 05:32 PM
i took down a UAV in my second match :P...the guy must've been retarded staying in the same place with a UAV

xTGMx INF3RNO
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
i still cant get this one i havent really tried to much but when i have seem impossible helicopter move to quick

xTGMx INF3RNO
03-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow this is a lucky thread. saw a chopper got on a missile hit it boom cheveo unlocked :D

Spawnus
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
In my honest opinion there is 2 ways of doing this very easy.

1: Try and get a friend of yours onto the other side then they take the chopper for you to shoot down (A.K.A Boosting)
2: Do it on a Blackhawk, those things are not as quick as the others and alot easier to take down with guided rockets (How I got my achievement)

Bistric
03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I got it defending on Isla Inocentes, just went to the missile launcher between crates A and B, and waited for the choppers. Of course, part of getting it is luck, i.e. having crappy opponents. I fired at least 10-15 missiles until I finally found someone who could not fly the chopper and was easily targeted, and I guess noone else had the idea to snipe me for the entire 3-4 minutes I kept firing the damn missiles.

SacredGamer
03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Its piss easy.
Stick to Port Valdez or Isla and you'll get it.

Rolyatkcinmai
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I probably have about 15 of these. They're extremely easy to do on that island map on Rush. If you get on the TOW early it's pretty difficult not to hit one of the many helicopters coming over the hill.

Jbomb
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
On the last part of Valaspairo, there's an AT gun on a building near the back. I just hopped in it and for some reason all the Blackhawks were flying low to drop off soldiers. It probably helps that the area is so small.

Kronos1982
03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
It's not really that hard. I've got it on the first try on both my account and my friends. First try ;) Maybe I haz teh sK1llzz?

Or teh 1uck? Or an enemy pilot who is teh $uck?

JK

xTGMx INF3RNO
03-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Or teh 1uck? Or an enemy pilot who is teh $uck?

JK

loooool. nice made me laugh

Judivarious
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I got it on the first try. My retarded team was just standing around watching the helicopter fly around the base (on the map with the lighthouse), and I was like "**** this", so I got on the stationary RPG, and I guess the guy didn't see me as he went into hover mode RIGHT NEXT TO ME, so I just shot a rocket and BOOM destroyed the helicopter and killed myself at the same time :D

xTGMx INF3RNO
03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
your most likey to get his wen your not trying

GamesB2
03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
It was a pain in the ass the first time... spent 15 minutes firing wide until i finally clipped its tail and took it down.

But now i do it all the time with the final unlocked rocket launcher.

Much faster and safer way to take down strafing helicopters... i must have got 12 kills from it in one match easy.

Daggra
03-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Man, this was the 2nd or 3rd multiplayer achievement I got, and it was pretty unexpected, haha. I was at the last defenders base on Valparaiso, and as soon as I spawned, I ran to that guided rocket launcher on top of that building overlooking one of the MCOM stations. I zoom in, and all of a sudden, I see a blackhawk just coming straight at me and I fire by reflex. The pilot knew what he was doing, so he swerved to his right, and i just followed him, the rocket hit the tail and the whole thing exploded. Achievement unlocked! =D

Analgia
03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
One of my first achievements, got it first time I got on a stationary RPG

FingeredPope
03-25-2010, 02:37 AM
I guess when I went for it, the blackhawk pilot wasn't that great. I nailed him on my first try. Best advice I can give is wait and watch their pattern for a bit, then lead by a mile (don't quote me on that) and give it slight corrections. With luck you should nail one eventually.

mr gamerscore
03-25-2010, 02:51 AM
i got this pretty easily (luck?) but after getting it i noticed an ideal rush map to get it on, isla inocentes or something to that effect. attackers get two helicopters and defenders get 2-3 rpg turrets.

Mooney910
03-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Sorry bout your luck dude. To anyone trying to get this: Your best bet is defending on the Isla Innocentes level, or whatever it's called. Rush to the rocket and they will always come flying in the Helicopter.

xI C0uch P0tat0
03-25-2010, 03:14 AM
This was the next to last achievement I needed to get and I never really attempted it. I got on an RPG turret and got it with no hassle.