PDA

View Full Version : Massive waste of time?

Dynamite Dez
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
All that waiting for it working, not one free game and god knows how much MSP you have to spend to get achievements. Can't even play my friends arcade without spending 40MSP, or go online 2 player -.-

Mellar
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
All that waiting for it working, not one free game and god knows how much MSP you have to spend to get achievements. Can't even play my friends arcade without spending 40MSP, or go online 2 player -.-

I agree with the last point you made, if your friend buys an arcade machine you should be able to play the full game for free but only while you are round your friends.

EASTENDENT
03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Microsoft is crooked. How could they charge 240mp a piece for these games? I'd rather poke a dead cat for free then pay money to play those games. The free achievements are nice....but it's 2010 and atari games cost $3 just to d/l? Shit is ridiculous.

Dynamite Dez
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with the last point you made, if your friend buys an arcade machine you should be able to play the full game for free but only while you are round your friends.

Yep, only thing i was looking forward to about it, just playing classic games on xbox live with mates but ohh no

GamesB2
03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah microsoft are money grabbing bastards but im still gonna buy into this. I love it when our avatars are actually used, i love customizing things and i love retro games.

I'll buy a fair few for games room and ill probably use it quite a lot.

storm python
03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Why do they think were willing to spend 240msp on there's ancient shite games that play terribly on the 360 when we have the option of spending msp's on half decent arcade games on live.
What makes me laugh is major nelson and the 2 goon's from inside xbox really hyping this pile of shit, guess you have to sell your soul to Satan to work for microcon.

JoeyStone
03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I was dissapointed to say the least. Since I grew up in the UK through the 90s, I missed pretty much all of the arcade games the first time around and was really looking forward to them. Not only do I have to play to pay a two-player game (on top of the Gold membership fee, of course), most of the games really don't play that well. I'm not sure if that is the xbox controller, or if they have just dated horribly.

Also, it turns out I'm pretty terrible at all of them. How can I get 1000+ points on Skate 2, a highly skill based game, and still suck at an 8-bit arcade classic that only has two buttons?

punker
03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
It's a neat little nostalgia trip for those of us old enough to remember having played this games when they were originally released, but I can't really see myself buying any of these or playing them longer than the ten minute demo time... at least not the ones available right now. I'm curious to see what games will be added in coming weeks, though.

Mike Langlois
03-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Does Time Crisis count as a cabinet game, add that. And House Of The Dead.

Shame they released the Street Fighter's on the arcade, that would of made people buy the game room if it was in there.

-chrisluvshacks-
03-24-2010, 05:22 PM
i bought centipede, played 1 game and now im bored. i want better games

BudzMcGee
03-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I remember playing a lot of these games as a kid when my dad, who grew up playing a lot of these games would take me to the arcade in the late 80's. I came into this willing to maybe even drop a couple of bucks on one or two games, but the controls have transferred horribly. It's like they didn't even bother to adjust them to the extremely more sensitive modern 360 control. Anyone who's played these games in the arcade can probably back me up in saying that most of these handled like a fucking stick shift in their cabinet form, but that was how they were supposed to be. There were no "micro-movements" in 80's gaming.

This disappointed me not in the cost (although the "free" game packs were misleading described), but in the quality.

ThingWitch
03-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know, i really love the whole idea of Game Room and i think that over time it will become much better. This stuff takes time and you can't expect it to be fantastic and perfect on day one. Just look back to when the 360 launched and the starting line-up of games we had then. Compared to what we have now the 360 has come a long way and i'm expecting the same to happen to Game Room. It will take time for the really good stuff to appear. Besides you don't have to buy loads or even any of the 30 launch games if you don't like them. Microsoft have said they are going to be adding up to 7 per week so there is bound to be something you want to play eventually. Plus decorating your arcade is fantastic fun.

Jabbawocky
03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
The games we got arn't exactly the classics of yesteryear with the exception of centerpiede, millipede and lunar launcher. I think MS would have done better to add some of the previous arcade games to the selection which they already had rights to use such as Pac-Man and Street Fighter 2.

EternalPredator
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
i completely agree the only reason why they released this was to get more money. biggest waste of time ever!

ferrara316
03-24-2010, 05:54 PM
lol all these posts have made it clear to me that i will not waste my time at all with this Cash Cow of nonsense

Beau Coup Dinky Dau
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
The Game Room is going to need A LOT of work before I'll spend a dime on it.

Some of what I want:

1. To be able to play the XBLA games I already bought in the game room at no extra charge.
2. To pay $1 for Atari 2600 and Intellivision games.
3. To be able to make my own random roaming avatars (and set their density) in the arcade.
4. WAY more arcade customization options (and if MS starts charging for them, then forget it). I want to be able to do stuff like lower and raise lighting levels. I want to be able to have a custom music playlist echoing in the background of the room. And so on...
5. When I load a game to play, I don't want to see the arcade in the background. I want the boarders of the 'game screen' to look like an arcade cabinet (the XBLA game TRON is a good example of this).
6. Better ports. These games need to be worked in a way that they are fun to play with the 360 controller, otherwise, the Game Room will be nothing but a frustrating failure.
7. Pinball machines. Get with the pros who made 'Williams Hall of Fame' and get some kick-ass tables in there.

All this is just off the top of my head. They need to do these things and a lot more before I'll even bite.

Natetendo83
03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I just messed around with this and it's just one big "meh" for me. Nothing exciting at all, I got the "free" achievements but none of these games remotely interest me. Why do companies always pick the worst games to release when they put out a new service?

xcarmacksx
03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
they really should have taken more time with this arcade game room, I was hoping to play my games I have already spent so much money on in the arcade and interact with people like a real arcade. I mean come on. This upsets me so much, I had high hopes for this content. I hope they really listen to feedback and change this garbage.

ponypo2001
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Thank the Lord I didn't mark my card with this cash con.I knew it would happen eventually,but it boils down now to actually paying points for achievements.Total fail on MS's part but I'm starting to not get surprised.Really poor show.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I think this Game Room thing sucks.
The achievements require money to be achieved which is shocking and also very stupid.
The game's list is terrible and the games suck, even if your a retro games fan or grew up playing some of these games you can't be happy with the list or the prices surely?

I also hate how just checking this out gave me an achievement so I cant delete this rubbish off of my gamercard.

ChocoDK
03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Well the Game Room got me a free 80GS so it did that well I guess.

Otherwise, I did enjoy decorating the room a bit but the games are to overpriced. Plus I couldn't even figure out how to start Adventure -_-.

Chuppernicus
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I bet the only reason some of you gamers go to work is to make money. Money hungry bastards! Well those of you crying that actually have a job that is.

You sound like a bunch of children, crying and complaining. "It's too much money!" How much did that shitty movie you just went to cost? Get a job, manage your money better, play another game. It's really not worth the tears guys. I fear for you when a real problem comes along. What will some of you do?

How can so many get upset over a free game? I like it. I do have a job and still have some of these games for my Coleco Artari expansion pack.

We'll be able to play coop online soon, give it time. Look at the evolution of xbox live or the last few years.

TopBadge
03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
The only game there I like was centipede I used to be rather fond of that,
but like any good gamer that likes a game I already have a copy of it,

It also amazes me that a game ported on to a fucking ds would you believe would run look and play better that one ported on the 360 come on now...

that tiny little game also has all those other Atari games on it any way I'm really no happy with this

silentbob0
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Thank the Lord I didn't mark my card with this cash con.I knew it would happen eventually,but it boils down now to actually paying points for achievements.Total fail on MS's part but I'm starting to not get surprised.Really poor show.

Yeah i'm not having this on my Gamercard either. If the achievement guide is correct, you have to pay a minimum of 6560MSP to unlock all the achievements, that is a massive rip-off. The trouble is that the biggest achievement whores will probably feel forced to feed the money to M$ to max out there score and M$ know this, so it's a snide move on there part.

I really can't understand how they can charge 240MSP for these games. A lot of these games you can play for free if you look them up. If they were more recent, like games from the 90's I could understand it. But in this day and age, these games will feel old and boring after 5 minutes. They are good for nostagia value if you are old enough to remember them well, but let's face it - most Xbox 360 gamers won't be. I think 80MSP each would be the most I would spend on these games.

Tyger7
03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Microsoft wants money? What!? A business wants to profit on time they spent? That is pure instanity! If you rent a movie, the old classics, even terrible movies, still cost money. You're paying for entertainment, optional at that. If you don't like it, move on to something you do like instead of posting about how much a company is ripping people off, when they aren't!

bjh_27
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Microsoft is crooked. How could they charge 240mp a piece for these games? I'd rather poke a dead cat for free then pay money to play those games. The free achievements are nice....but it's 2010 and atari games cost $3 just to d/l? Shit is ridiculous.

i have to say it comes as no surprise to me that this is both crap in quality (yeah right, i have heard of more than a few of these 'games'!) and raking cash from anyone silly enough to buy it - way to go m$, but i will pass

arctic_ash
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Microsoft wants money? What!? A business wants to profit on time they spent? That is pure instanity! If you rent a movie, the old classics, even terrible movies, still cost money. You're paying for entertainment, optional at that. If you don't like it, move on to something you do like instead of posting about how much a company is ripping people off, when they aren't!

would you be suprised to learn that computers where designed and built to be FREE and open source?

microsoft just jumped on the bandwagon and started charging for stuff everyone else was giving out for free... then not long after the other companies went bust.

a random cat
03-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I was greatly dissapointed in Game Room. I thought the arcade titles would be fun and worth the 240ms points, but I was wrong. I played most of the demo games and I only like 2 games. In my mind, these games are worth 80MS points, not 240. M$ epicly failed this time. :/

Distanc3
03-24-2010, 11:35 PM
I bet the only reason some of you gamers go to work is to make money. Money hungry bastards! Well those of you crying that actually have a job that is.

You sound like a bunch of children, crying and complaining. "It's too much money!" How much did that shitty movie you just went to cost? Get a job, manage your money better, play another game. It's really not worth the tears guys. I fear for you when a real problem comes along. What will some of you do?

How can so many get upset over a free game? I like it. I do have a job and still have some of these games for my Coleco Artari expansion pack.

We'll be able to play coop online soon, give it time. Look at the evolution of xbox live or the last few years.

LMAO the only feature that MS has added to the xbox 360 that I actually like is party chat.

As for this game I simply think that it is ridicules that they hyped the game up so much and on numerous occasions and went so far as to say it was "FREE" and then you even download 2 "FREE" game packs that just turn out to be PAY PAY PAY. Yes you can look at the game for free; however, you have to pay money to actually PLAY anything. How about the company that has earned BILLIONS actually gives us something for FREE when they say it is going to be...umm...FREE.

Congratulations on the having a JOB, that is an amazing feet. I also love that you are saying to manage our money better when you are willing to buy a game for about $3.00 that you could play online for free. Ever think that our money management skills allow us to see that this whole thing is a rip off?

For your information I was a Business Management student at a PRIVATE UNIVERSITY going for my BA until I graduated Summa Cum Laude at the ripe old age of 21. I understand that the bottom line is always important, but misleading people is also something covered in ETHICS. We are mad because we all feel ripped off, simple as that. We were promised something for free just to find out that it actually cost money.

would you be suprised to learn that computers where designed and built to be FREE and open source?

microsoft just jumped on the bandwagon and started charging for stuff everyone else was giving out for free... then not long after the other companies went bust.

You just kinda proved the point. MS survived because they were not dumb enough to work for free. They produced the 2nd richest man in the world because they can produce a SHITTIER version of something free and sale it to you for hundreds. With all of this in mind you still need to think...they are still in business and are striving even in a downed market for a reason. I am not faulting MS for charging for this game, I am faulting MS for charging for this game after saying it would be free.