PDA

View Full Version : Online Community Finally the Ultimate Handicap

Rolyatkcinmai
03-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Let me preface this by saying I love Battlefield. I have played every single Battlefield, I'm proud to be a rank 8 veteran (the max). Bad Company 2, while still not as good as Battlefield 2 (PC) is the best Battlefield to hit consoles. The multiplayer is brilliant, and better than any other console shooter I've played; but I'm going to stop playing it very soon.

We've gotten to the point where graphics have rightfully taken the backburner to gameplay. Several franchises have attained a quality level in gameplay and visuals that would have seemed unimaginable ten years ago. Multiplayer shooters, particularly on consoles (for some reason, this really doesn't apply to PC, where the community is great), however now have one massive detractor; Xbox Live (or PSN, if that's your cup of tea. I use both).

I will stop playing this game soon, because other than myself and my three squad mates, no one is even playing the game. We are responsible for 100% of the bomb plants during any given rush game. We are the only reason crates are ever guarded or defused. In conquest, we're the only ones capturing or defending flags. Most importantly, we are generally the only four people on the entire server not sitting in a bush somewhere playing Recon.

This is a team game. As such, you need to have teamwork to win and enjoy the game. Having bad and incompetent teams is the nature of gaming. You're always going to be 50/50 on joining a team that actually feels like trying to play the game properly. This game is not 50/50. I have 37 hours logged in multiplayer. I have seen maybe two good teams. I have seen thousands of snipers. 99% of my deaths come from the M95 or UAV. These are not snipers guarding a bomb site or covering team mates as they capture a flag. These are snipers that almost universally finish every match with under 1000 points. They do not capture or defuse. They do not participate. They sit. They wait until you stop moving (never stop moving!) and they take their shot, lest they actually develop any skills and try to lead you while in motion.

This game is excellent. One of the best I've played. But Xbox Live is terrible. I would play this game from now until Bad Company 3 if there weren't 12+ snipers in every match. If I didn't have to single-handedly capture 80% of the bases on any given map, I would stick around. Sadly this game eats away at my patience every night I play it. This game is a study in why somewhat tactical team based gameplay just does not succeed on public servers on consoles.

I have not played this on PSN, but since MAG suffers from a similar syndrome, I'm going to assume it's the same situation over there. As I said before, this problem does not arise, for whatever reason, on PC.

Its Fooga
03-25-2010, 05:08 AM
I agree with this post 100%. Whenever I play with my squad it seriously feels like we're the only ones who do anything for the team. We always have the gold squad pin and one of us always gets an ace pin. A friend of mine brought his friend along one time and he was a sniper. And, guess what? Everytime I died and was going to spawn on him, there he was...sitting in the same bush.

I've 1000'd this game a while ago, and while it's really good (easily my favorite multiplayer game), the community is making me lose interest.

BigDave1313
03-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Im usually a medic i put my ass on the front lines to save anyone i try to save everyone!hell i care about my k/d ratio but i also would rather help people i play all the classes some more then other but i still do what i have to to help the team me and my squad are based upon an assault,recon,medic,and sometimes one of us is an engineer!

Aghwee
03-25-2010, 07:15 AM
1> Any good sniper moves behind, but with his team.
2>" " can get a headshot on a moving target.
3>" " knows when to switch loadouts to a different class.
4>" " knows most people that play an online FPS haven't been in the gaming community for very long [usually, because they're young] and doesn't expect much from his team. Unless they are playing in a tournament.

Playing team fortress classic, or even Duke Nukem at the local internet cafe's LAN provided a more skillful type of gameplay, and with better opposition, when that was the thing. Most of it has been dumbed down since Unreal Tournament. We're playing in a different age of gaming now.

DENAz666
03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Totally agree, i've only got a regular squad of 3, but nearly every game it seems to be us doing ALL the work. One game i remember me or my mate litterally got every plant on the map, not one other squad did anything.

Lets just hope that this won't continue, once people start to get the hang of the game then we should see more objective focused gameplay

TheOnlyDogMan
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Had an interesting game of rush today. The entire enemy team was sniping from back at their initial spawn point. We couldn't get close enough to take any of them out but they still refused to move forward (aside from the occassional suicide run in a tank). Eventually my whole team got bored and left, then they started moving forward when it was like 5 on 1. I'm not sure if they were doing it on purpose or what but it sure was a lame way to waste forty minutes.

But don't let bad games ruin it for you. These annoying loners will get bored of the game and trade it in soon enough.

stevie vip 99
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Agree with a lot of what you have said, i don't mind snipers if they are in a squad doing a job but most aren't, they're hidden away from all the action playing for themselves!

When i'm playing i do my best for the team swapping classes as needed, also when i do play recon i use the machine gun anyway as i like to be in the thick of the action not running scared in the bushes.

Don't let snipers stop you playing, hunt them down and knife/drill/defib them in the head lol, they always hide in the same places

Quickdraw
03-25-2010, 10:23 AM
yeah i agree with this post i figured this out quickly and bailed on the game to bash my head against another game for weeks, i mainly got it due to my mates playing it now they got fustrated with it and no longer play it either, what a waste of my money lol.

Apachetear88
03-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I have had a few sniper issues - but so far I manage to not let it get in the way of having a fun game...

90% sniper teams when you're opposing them = a reasonably easy game

when you're on that time...find another game

I seem to see a lot of people not being snipers and running for the objectives...maybe I'm just lucky?

WonderCaliban
03-25-2010, 11:32 AM
I've played about 200 matches now, logged 50 hours (logged 200 with BC1) and to be honest I don't see what all the complaining is about.

Sniping is not as bad as people complain about. you get 3 or 4 as attackers generally. Which as there are 4 classes and 12 per side seems quite balanced. They can be extremely useful.

Most teams defend/arm crates quite well. Only rarely do you see the entire team running off and doing their own thing.

I've seen lots of people capturing flags.

Most people play properly and try to fulfill team objectives. I get ammo packs, repairs, heals etc quite regularly.

This seems to be just complaining about nothing.

LmTz
03-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I have to say that I don't usually use mic. That's because I can't talk in English properly. But if someone speaks with me I try to communicate.

xD12xSTicKNasTY
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree also. I'm usually not charging crates, but that is because my teammates are all sniping, so why push forward by myself and get my a$$ shot and have to do it again from the same starting point because my retarded squad mate won't move? I also hate it when the Black Hawks destroy my spawn so there is nowhere to hide and then 6 people on the other team keep blowing everyones head off when they spawn and there is nowhere to hide from it. I think they should make a limit of how many people can go recon on each team.

KILLING5PR33
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
personally this is the second battlefield game i have played. i really didn't like the arcade battlefield 1943 but this game is the closest game i ever came to reminding me of ghost reacon 2 summitstrike , a game i put 10+ hrs everyday for 4 years. but i really enjoy bad company 2 . i dont mind the snipers b/c i always end up getting them but the only thing i wish i had was a squad to play with. no one communicates in the game and it gets old sometimes carrying a team on squad deathmatch/conquer ,im still trying to get usetoo rush.

Dr4gOnsFuRy
03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I have to agree also, I was in a game last night and my WHOLE team was sniping not just my squad, I was the only one who wasn't a sniper and I was running into the enemy base dying constantly because there was nobody there to back me up or help me out, and spawning was dreadful, dying and then having to run a mile back to the objective just to die and do it all over again. I am very stubborn and never quit because of this, I will push on and on until I can arm the objective or get a revenge kill on somebody.
As much as I love this game, I hate it when there are so many snipers on your team you can't enjoy the game because you have to spawn a mile away or whatever it may be, you never get any help from them.
I play as recon in some games but I can never sit still for so long, I get bored very quickly, I get close to the enemy base with my sniper, spot out enemies for my squad and team, I use the mortar to destroy tanks, to defend objectives like Mcoms that have been armed, I even run into all the action with just the pistol when I have the Recon kit so I don't sit still in one spot right at the back of the map, I don't know how so many others can do that, it's very boring. I don't mind snipers because some actually do their job, but when the whole team is Recon, makes it very difficult to play and actually win.
I've had some horrible games due to them being full of snipers, but on the other hand I've had a few very good games which have been so epic, ones that have lasted for more than half an hour, these are what make me love the game. Once you get a good team that works together each playing their role, it becomes very enjoyable but this is so rare, which is a shame
:(
I normally play as a Medic and do my job, handing out medipacks to those that are in need, throwing them near a team mate just in case they need one, reviving downed team mates, supporting those that are going to objectives, and I enjoy all of this, so much more than sitting and waiting for a kill right at the back of the map, as a sniper :confused:

Lympathia
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
So you're complaining that you're doing all the work i.e having all the fun??

what would you rather be lying in a hammock? Who cares if people snipe, have fun completing objectives.

Uluse
03-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Well I...understand the point you're making but I couldn't agree less. Those people payed just as much for the game as you did, so they have every right to play the game in the way that gives them the most fun. You can't complain about people trying to have the most fun with a game. If snipering gives them what they payed for, let them.
And what is most likely going to happen is that soon, they will start to tune their gameplay towards the team when they get over the excitement of sniping. Moreover, the people that are not interested in teamwork will eventually dissapear for the larger part and go back to MW2. But I just think it's not fair to complain about people that have fun with the game in their way. It's not unsportive conduct (although of course, you will say it is), it's not cheating, they are just playing the game in the way they want to get the most out of their money.

CovertDog
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
There is more then enough similar threads in the forum that you could have just added to. This doesn't warrant its own thread.