PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Rapper of All Time?

Pages : [1] 2

Mosizzle313
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
I know there is an official hip-hop thread, but I felt like it would be much easier get legitimate, organized responses in a seperate thread.
So, who, in your opinion, is the greatest rapper of all time?

My Vote: Eminem

I doubt anyone will agree, but the reason I think he's so great is how real he is. He raps about real life, not just pussy, money and weed (Lil Wayne).
There are very few good lyricists left and Eminem is definitely one of them. I know he hasn't came out with anything remotely decent lately but overall he's a legend. Today's popular music is so stupid and the lyrics are trash.
"We pop champagne cuz we got that dough..." WTF is that? That's so dumb and frustrating, yet it's so popular. Whatever haha post who you thinks the best and why.

KSizzle
03-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Rakim is the greatest MC of all time...Old school, pure lyricist. Some of his freestyles are incredible.

YouTube- Eric B. & Rakim - Microphone Fiend

Nozza XBA
03-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Now I'm not into Rap at all but some peolpe I do like and I dnot mind listening to or wont change/turn down the station when there on.

1- I agree that Eminem is pretty good.. I mean I love Mocking Bird and I think thats a great song. Thats it. I dont mind some of his other stuff.. maybe Stan but he does do good lyrics and some stupid songs that are plani annoying.

2- Jay-Z. I knew some of his hits but I was never interested in him and never really heard/knew much about him. The Empire State of Mind came out and that songs awsome. I prefer his type of Rap (I dont really know how to tell/describe the difference) and just the flow of it imo is great.

Or this guy;

YouTube- MC Supernatural Freestyle at the 2008 Magic Convention

rvlution
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Rakim is the greatest MC of all time...Old school, pure lyricist. Some of his freestyles are incredible.

YouTube- Eric B. & Rakim - Microphone Fiend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ)

Dude, I don't even like rap but I liked that. I think I could like old school rap. I can never see myself liking what comes out today though.

martdude16
03-27-2010, 03:09 PM

I love the Rage Against The Machine cover of that track. :)

Personally I think 2pac or Notorious B.I.G. are (were :() the greatest.
Alive? I would agree on Eminem, but also Nas.

Currently listening to Jedi Mind Tricks (so whoever mentioned Vinnie Paz I bow before), Tech N9ne and R.A. The Rugged Man who are all equally great.

rvlution
03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't know if this counts but I do like RATM.

martdude16
03-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Don't know if this counts but I do like RATM.

I suppose it should, it is kind of "Rap Rock".

Tyly Mafiooso
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Atmosphere's guys.

Postmodernmartyr
03-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Hmm... it's either ...

Dose One
Sole
Sage Francis

I highly suggest watching those links

Postmodernmartyr
03-28-2010, 10:33 AM
the MC of Atmosphere is Slug (except on the 1st album, it was him & Spawn)... Slug (and Ant, Atmosphere's producer) were in a group with 2 of the people on my list called Deep Puddle Dynamics. You should check them out.

HacksawDoomx187
03-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Immortal Technique.

Daiphyer.
03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I'd say Eminem. His lyrics are brilliant.

Postmodernmartyr
03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd say Eminem. His lyrics are brilliant.
No, no they aren't... they are sub par at best...

Coadster1
03-28-2010, 07:35 PM
The only rapper I like is Eminem, so I guess he gets my vote.

Massa Siggy
03-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I rather like Foreign Beggars. They have more of an old school style, which I prefer to the newer stuff. I'm not saying they're the best ever, but they're my favorite hip hop artists.

YouTube- Foreign Beggars "Frosted Perspeks"

YouTube- FOREIGN BEGGARS & NOISIA 'CONTACT' OFFICIAL VIDEO (DENTED RECORDS)

litepink
03-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Parappa, duh, close thread.

II TAPOUT II
03-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not addressing any one's post in particular here, just some common answers I've seen/expecting.

First off, this is all pretty subjective, but w/e.

Eminem is not the greatest of all time. Sure, he may be different, and sure, he may talk about realer topics than your average artist. But he isn't the only one. Eminem's lyrics, as some one else mentioned, are pretty sub par. His content may be good, but I've never heard a line from him that made me go "wow" because of the lyricism behind it.

Immortal Technique is awesome as well, but he really has no flow at all. Sometimes his songs can get a little boring because of this, as well as he never really shows any intensity or feeling in his songs. Like I said, I can agree he is great, but to be the best, you have to be good at everything.

Tupac is FAR from the greatest of all time. He is kind of in the same boat as Eminem, as he has different content and people like him for being real, but the lyricism wasn't really there. 'Pac had crazy influence, and that is what makes him so popular. But he isn't on the same level as others.

Anyways, a few who I consider some of the best: Nas, Rakim, and GZA. I would put Big Pun on that list, but he wasn't around long enough, unfortunately.

Tussell
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I will be seconding that. :)

King Ghosty
03-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Tie between Eminem, MF DOOM, and Lupe Fiasco

ac2565
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Eminem. His "metaphors are so complicated it takes 6 minutes to get applause." :p
PaRappa is pretty good, especially considering his handicap.

STKitten
03-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Dose One or Buck 65

agentplatypus
03-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Atmosphere's guys. Slug is real dope (Especially live) but he's not the greatest. Only my opinion obviously.

ThaFireman
03-29-2010, 05:55 AM
but I've never heard a line from him that made me go "wow" because of the lyricism behind it.
Go grab Marshall Mathers LP and listen to "Kill You". If one of the lines doesn't wow you, then you're crazy.

Obviously, I think the greatest rapper is Eminem and I agree that rap has become a parody of itself. Rap was made so people could vent about the hardships of their life, not how much mansions they have. Rap has become just trying to get a catchy chorus that gets stuck in your head so you buy the song and forget about it a month later. Other favorite rappers would be 2Pac, Royce Da 5'9" and Lupe Fiasco. "Go Go Gadget Flow" is still one of the craziest rap songs I've ever heard.

I don't really understand all the praise for Jay-Z. His rhymes are average and he has no energy behind the words.

SharksInYourMouth
03-29-2010, 07:09 AM
:rock JJ Peters of Deez Nuts :woop:

YouTube- Deez Nuts - BF & FF

Daiphyer.
03-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Go grab Marshall Mathers LP and listen to "Kill You". If one of the lines doesn't wow you, then you're crazy.

Obviously, I think the greatest rapper is Eminem and I agree that rap has become a parody of itself. Rap was made so people could vent about the hardships of their life, not how much mansions they have. Rap has become just trying to get a catchy chorus that gets stuck in your head so you buy the song and forget about it a month later. Other favorite rappers would be 2Pac, Royce Da 5'9" and Lupe Fiasco. "Go Go Gadget Flow" is still one of the craziest rap songs I've ever heard.

I don't really understand all the praise for Jay-Z. His rhymes are average and he has no energy behind the words.

Grabbed the words right out of my mouth. Clearly whoever thinks that his lyrics are sub-par haven't heard the majority of his songs. Today Hip-Hop and rap has become the home for wacky dance songs.

luuwat
03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
2pac

everyone knows this

Andreas_loel
03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
There cant be only one
2pac
Big pun
Eminem
Celph titled
Ill bill
They all deserve the number 1 position

oDrPepper
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Not really a fan of rap, and the only person I genuinely like is Biggie Smalls. So him.

Postmodernmartyr
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Grabbed the words right out of my mouth. Clearly whoever thinks that his lyrics are sub-par haven't heard the majority of his songs. Today Hip-Hop and rap has become the home for wacky dance songs.
Em can't even freestyle... this is from an interview with Dose One (who is infinitely better than em)

Speaking of Eminem, you famously battled him at the 1997 Scribble Jam. What’s your most vivid memory of that experience?
I’ll make large generalizations here, but there were two big shots in town who had just won this Source (http://www.thesource.com/)Battle: Juice and Rhymefest (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/the-return-of-m.html). They’re been taking first and second in freestyle battles all over the country, with Rhymefest sometimes conceding to Juice and vice versa. The thing was they’d kick prepared written verses, not freestyles and none of them very good to be honest. So they’d do all these battles with written lines, multiple times, pretending that they’d never heard those verses before. But there was a code that you weren’t supposed to say anything, quiet as kept.
Meanwhile, you had these two white boys mutilating people to get to the finals -- that was me and Eminem (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/05/album-review-eminems-relapse.html). And Eminem was absolutely killing it and eating people alive. When he battled Juice in the semifinals, he was fantastic and should’ve won. When you’re the underdog and come up on the challenger like that, you should always win. But that’s not the way the capitalist world works. Meanwhile, I battled Rhymefest and was finishing his wack rhymes before he even had the chance to say them. Since they were written, he paused and went dead quiet. He couldn’t believe I was mutilated him like that. So I won, and at that point, I was the only one who had qualified for the finals. But Rhymefest complained to the judges that I was talking during his set, but I was merely finishing his wackness for him. So he gets put back in and he gets to battle Juice and I have to battle Eminem. So now there are four people in the finals.
Eminem and I go up to each other and say, ‘hey, you’re killing it.’ We have a beer, exchange numbers and demo tapes. To make a long story short, I get home and throw in his tape, which was his first “Slim Shady EP,” and every single rap he used in the battle was written, which was a serious demerit in my eyes. So I never contacted him and a few months later, I pick up a copy of the Source and he’s in [the magazine's] Unsigned Hype. I couldn’t help but think that if he’d actually been kicking freestyles, we’d have somehow collaborated together. At least, I would’ve called him. But it worked out great, at the same time I met Slug [of Atmosphere] and Sole and we had the same morals and beliefs and we could bridge a sense of trust between us, and that’s pretty much the light and dark of it.

xcarmacksx
03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Eminem, 2pac, Biggie, Bone Thugs, Nas, Ludacris, Outkast, Big Pun, Twista, Ice Cube

ToeFurB
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Hands down it's Gift of Gab. Nothing else needs to be said.

ThaFireman
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Em can't even freestyle... this is from an interview with Dose One (who is infinitely better than em)

Speaking of Eminem, you famously battled him at the 1997 Scribble Jam. What’s your most vivid memory of that experience?
YouTube- Eminem - Microphone Freestyle Slaughterhouse - The Alchemist

Umm... yeah. He's totally bad at freestylin'. Don't see how a rapper is judged on how he freestyles. Jay-Z is one of the most talked about rappers and he sucks at freestylin'.

Postmodernmartyr
03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
YouTube- Eminem - Microphone Freestyle Slaughterhouse - The Alchemist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFGYT8-Ku4s)

Umm... yeah. He's totally bad at freestylin'. Don't see how a rapper is judged on how he freestyles. Jay-Z is one of the most talked about rappers and he sucks at freestylin'.
I hate Jay Z... the only person I hate more is DMX... and the point of the article is that he writes everything he "freestyles"...

Postmodernmartyr
03-29-2010, 11:16 PM
YouTube- Dose One freestyle with SJ Esau The Croft Bristol

One thousand times better!!!

ZonaBoy89
03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Even though I have lived through Hip Hop since It basically started theres only 5 MCs that i would be comfortable saying is

1. Eminem for sure best of this generation.
2. 2Pac Can be argued that he is the best
3. Nas is so greatly underrated
4. Biggie would be higher but only dropped two album
5. Rakim should be higher but only fits at 5

ZonaBoy89
03-29-2010, 11:21 PM
BTW look up MC Juice any of you Eminem heads know hes the cat from CHI that burnt Em in 98' before EM signed to Aftermath.

Postmodernmartyr
03-29-2010, 11:25 PM
BTW look up MC Juice any of you Eminem heads know hes the cat from CHI that burnt Em in 98' before EM signed to Aftermath.
I already mentioned all 4 of the finalists that year up above... including my favorite, Dose One!!! And it was 97

Chris240191
03-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Not big on rap but here is my top 3:

Lupe Fiasco

2Pac

Eminem

Magic Coletrain
03-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Jay-Z
Run DMC
Eminem
2Pac
Damian Marley

ac2565
03-31-2010, 03:21 AM

I’ll make large generalizations here, but there were two big shots in town who had just won this Source (http://www.thesource.com/)Battle: Juice and Rhymefest (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/the-return-of-m.html). They’re been taking first and second in freestyle battles all over the country, with Rhymefest sometimes conceding to Juice and vice versa. The thing was they’d kick prepared written verses, not freestyles and none of them very good to be honest. So they’d do all these battles with written lines, multiple times, pretending that they’d never heard those verses before. But there was a code that you weren’t supposed to say anything, quiet as kept.
Meanwhile, you had these two white boys mutilating people to get to the finals -- that was me and Eminem (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/05/album-review-eminems-relapse.html). And Eminem was absolutely killing it and eating people alive. When he battled Juice in the semifinals, he was fantastic and should’ve won. When you’re the underdog and come up on the challenger like that, you should always win. But that’s not the way the capitalist world works. Meanwhile, I battled Rhymefest and was finishing his wack rhymes before he even had the chance to say them. Since they were written, he paused and went dead quiet. He couldn’t believe I was mutilated him like that. So I won, and at that point, I was the only one who had qualified for the finals. But Rhymefest complained to the judges that I was talking during his set, but I was merely finishing his wackness for him. So he gets put back in and he gets to battle Juice and I have to battle Eminem. So now there are four people in the finals.
Eminem and I go up to each other and say, ‘hey, you’re killing it.’ We have a beer, exchange numbers and demo tapes. To make a long story short, I get home and throw in his tape, which was his first “Slim Shady EP,” and every single rap he used in the battle was written, which was a serious demerit in my eyes. So I never contacted him and a few months later, I pick up a copy of the Source and he’s in [the magazine's] Unsigned Hype. I couldn’t help but think that if he’d actually been kicking freestyles, we’d have somehow collaborated together. At least, I would’ve called him. But it worked out great, at the same time I met Slug [of Atmosphere] and Sole and we had the same morals and beliefs and we could bridge a sense of trust between us, and that’s pretty much the light and dark of it.

Don't know about the rest of his freestyles but Dose is telling the truth.

YouTube- Scribble Jam 97 MC Battle Eminem vs Dose One
As far as I know he doesn't have any of this written.

YouTube- Scribble Jam 97 Emcee Semi-Finals
Here's the semis that Dose was describing. Eminem used the "Jim Brady" line on "Just Don't Give a ****".

Hamburgerous
03-31-2010, 03:27 AM
I think I've finally arrived at a higher class of forums. A page about rap and not a single clown has posted any Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer? Way to raise the bar guys :D

ac2565
03-31-2010, 03:40 AM
I think I've finally arrived at a higher class of forums. A page about rap and not a single clown has posted any Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer? Way to raise the bar guys :D

Vanilla Ice is the original wigger.

k1lls1gn
03-31-2010, 03:58 AM
^ lol above, so true.

Umm....2pac hands down. Then Biggy

Postmodernmartyr
03-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah, did you see the video of him beating Rhymefest to all his punchlines... I don't know if you've ever heard Dose before but you should check out his group Themselves, if you haven't...

ThaFireman
03-31-2010, 06:42 AM
I love that Em using a rhyme twice apparently makes him a terrible rapper. That's just nit picking.

SoleAssassin
04-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Nas is the GOAT

marlo2123
04-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I think some of the best are -
Eminem
Kid Cudi - My favorite
Biggie is pretty good
Wu-tang
Common - he's not one of the best, i just like him

Newish rappers such as Wayne, Jay-Z and especially Soulja Boy are all trash.
They don't know how to make a song that isn't about Girls. Money. Cars.

ThaFireman
04-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Kid Cudi - My favorite
Good, sir. Man on the Moon was my second favorite album of the last decade.

SoleAssassin
04-01-2010, 05:30 AM
I don't know how you can list Kid Cudi when he only put out 1 album. Dude still has a LONG way to go before people can consider him a great.

LMAO at dude calling Jay a new rapper. Step your history game up dude.

ThaFireman
04-01-2010, 05:41 AM
I don't know how you can list Kid Cudi when he only put out 1 album. Dude still has a LONG way to go before people can consider him a great.
Don't need hundreds of songs to figure out someone is great. The 14 songs on MotM is the proof of that.

ac2565
04-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Newish rappers such as Wayne, Jay-Z and especially Soulja Boy are all trash.
They don't know how to make a song that isn't about Girls. Money. Cars.

Jay Z is far from new. Jay Z was in a group with Biggie Smalls when Smalls was alive. And if you mean new to mainstream that's not true because he has many radio hits.

Check out this song. Features Biggie. :)
YouTube- Brooklyn's Finest - Jay-Z

Also Lil Wayne isn't a "new" rapper either. He was in a group when he was really young called the Hot Boyz. But if you mean mainstream, then yeah after 2006 he suddenly started being really popular.

SoleAssassin
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Don't need hundreds of songs to figure out someone is great. The 14 songs on MotM is the proof of that.

Longevity is key to being great. You need to establish a catalog of music to be one of the best. Having one great album doesn't make you a great artist. If you tell people Cudi is the GOAT to real Hip Hop heads, they'll shake their head.

shilbo-assassin
04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
John Barnes must be up there.

Absolutionz
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Lot's of misinformed people in this thread. First off, anybody who says Eminem's lyrics aren't good, or that he can't freestyle, are simply retarded. I don't think anybody who really knows Hip Hop would agree with that statement. Secondly, there really isn't a "greatest rapper of all time". It would be practically impossible to crown anybody as the greatest ever. This thread should be re-named to your favorite MC.

Anyways, a few MC's that get my favorite spots are...

(In no order)
MF Doom
Nas
Eminem
Blu
Common
Mos Def
Method Man
Raekwon
'Ye West
Jay Z

I could really go on all day, so I'll stop here.

Postmodernmartyr
04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Lot's of misinformed people in this thread. First off, anybody who says Eminem's lyrics aren't good, or that he can't freestyle, are simply retarded. I don't think anybody who really knows Hip Hop would agree with that statement. Secondly, there really isn't a "greatest rapper of all time". It would be practically impossible to crown anybody as the greatest ever. This thread should be re-named to your favorite MC.

Anyways, a few MC's that get my favorite spots are...

(In no order)
MF Doom
Nas
Eminem
Blu
Common
Mos Def
Method Man
Raekwon
'Ye West
Jay Z

I could really go on all day, so I'll stop here.
Did you even bother to read why I said Em can't freestyle... because there is proof!!! So yeah, keep talkin' nonsense...

I love how people keep putting Doom on here even in their personal lists full of mainstream garbage... like, yeah, I don't only listen to what comes on the radio... just 99%

RagingClue
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Lupe Fiasco
Tupac
Rhymefest
OutKast are good im not sure who is in that group but they are very good.

lethal.b
04-01-2010, 05:40 PM
i think krs one should be thrown up their with the greats. i wouldnt class him as 'the greatest of all time' but he deffinatly has skills and has had a huge influence in hip hop and many rappers themselves would agree. same with slick rick

bapae
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I didn't know there were any good rappers all of it sounds like cRAP

martdude16
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Did you even bother to read why I said Em can't freestyle... because there is proof!!! So yeah, keep talkin' nonsense...

I love how people keep putting Doom on here even in their personal lists full of mainstream garbage... like, yeah, I don't only listen to what comes on the radio... just 99%

Dude WTF! Respect other peoples opinions. It's not like he said 'Soulja Boy' and 'Birdman'. He mentioned many great artists.... Mos Def, Common etc.

People need to understand that not everyone's opinion is the same. If we all liked the same stuff, this world would suck.

Also, please stop trying to drill into peoples heads that 'Dose One' is the 'GOAT'! Maybe you think he is.... i'm not going to argue that, but the majority of people will disagree with you.

EDIT: To the person above who said "I didn't know there were any good rappers all of it sounds like cRAP".
Please stop being a troll, thanks.

Condescension
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Uh Immortal Technique?

Postmodernmartyr
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Dude WTF! Respect other peoples opinions. It's not like he said 'Soulja Boy' and 'Birdman'. He mentioned many great artists.... Mos Def, Common etc.

People need to understand that not everyone's opinion is the same. If we all liked the same stuff, this world would suck.

Also, please stop trying to drill into peoples heads that 'Dose One' is the 'GOAT'! Maybe you think he is.... i'm not going to argue that, but the majority of people will disagree with you.

EDIT: To the person above who said "I didn't know there were any good rappers all of it sounds like cRAP".
Please stop being a troll, thanks.
First off, if you read my 1st post you'd realize that I can't narrow it down to 1 GOAT, everyone has different things to contribute, so yeah, I think Dose One is amazing and a lot of people don't, I just brought that up again because I wasn't just talking trash about Em, I had references to back up my argument...

That second part wasn't directly at him... MF DOOM has popped up a lot on here, and on lists with a lot of mainstream rappers... so to put it better (more politely:) cuz you're right), what event made MF Doom so well known to people who seem to listen to mostly mainstream stuff? I mean, it seemed like a few years ago, more Slug or Aesop would be more well known... maybe even El-P...

Daiphyer.
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM

That's what he thinks about Em. It doesn't classify as a "Proof". Also, yea I've heard him use some rhymes twice in different songs, but that doesn't make him a bad rapper. I've heard Lil Wayne use the same rhymes over and over again, and many others. The fact that he uses all that different rhymes makes him a legend.

Ldon0121
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I Agree With xcarmacksx,, Drake Also his Got a New Style

Postmodernmartyr
04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
That's what he thinks about Em. It doesn't classify as a "Proof". Also, yea I've heard him use some rhymes twice in different songs, but that doesn't make him a bad rapper. I've heard Lil Wayne use the same rhymes over and over again, and many others. The fact that he uses all that different rhymes makes him a legend.

I don't think it's a problem to rap twice... and it's not his opinion of him, Em didn't freestyle at Scribble Jam... look, I don't even hate Em as much as it sounds like... for years he was "the Greatest White Rapper" and now often, he's just "Greatest"... if you take this to mean marketability, then yeah, maybe he is... but there are a lot of rappers (black & white) who are just as good if not better than him...

But then again since this is all so subjective anyways... what factors are taken into consideration... I mean, there are so many things to keep in mind when talking about the greatest... that's why many of these posts are lists, no one rapper is the best at all aspects of being an MC...

Daiphyer.
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I never said he's the greatest. He's one of the greatest. Because the term "Greatest of all time" or "Best X ever" is childish and stupid.

Postmodernmartyr
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I never said he's the greatest. He's one of the greatest. Because the term "Greatest of all time" or "Best X ever" is childish and stupid.
Maybe not but plenty have...

Alfalfa Rage
04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Biz Markie. 100%

But my favorites, for what it's worth, would have to lie somewhere around Slug and Aesop. Busdriver trails closely behind.

ac2565
04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Lupe Fiasco
Tupac
Rhymefest
OutKast are good im not sure who is in that group but they are very good.
Outkast is made up of Big Boi and Andre 3000. :)
Longevity is key to being great. You need to establish a catalog of music to be one of the best. Having one great album doesn't make you a great artist. If you tell people Cudi is the GOAT to real Hip Hop heads, they'll shake their head.

Everybody's "requirements" to being great are different. You would be surprised how many people have Big L in their Top 5 lists even though he only released one album before his death.
Although I agree with you, longevity is key. Over time rappers either get better or worse.

dynamik123
04-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Sage Francis, Biggie, and Slug (Atmosphere for those of you who think that is a person).

SoleAssassin
04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Outkast is made up of Big Boi and Andre 3000. :)

Everybody's "requirements" to being great are different. You would be surprised how many people have Big L in their Top 5 lists even though he only released one album before his death.
Although I agree with you, longevity is key. Over time rappers either get better or worse.

People probably have L because of his punchlines and delivery. I'd consider him in my top 10. Dude was sick.

Can't believe people haven't listed AZ as one of the greats. Dude is lyrically ill. Doe or Die is classic.

Anybody who mentions Drake as a great should off themselves.

Fonkey Monkey
04-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Tupac.

Runner ups for me would be Eminem, NaS, and Common.

Lupe Fiasco is my personal favorite. Would be up there if he made more flawless albums. He is sitting at two absolutely perfect albums right now, but alas it is not meant to be. Lasers!!!

Kanye will be up there as well if he quits that autotune. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but he needs to go back to rapping.

Frownyface
04-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Just saying, if people are going to say you can't call Kid Cudi great off of one album, that's hypocrisy. As good as Biggie was, he was hailed as one of the best rappers after one album.

Anyway, there better be a lot of Rakim in this thread or it fails. Only exception would be some KRS-One, if not, this thread gets 10 disappointed faces.

Frownyface
04-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Tupac.

Runner ups for me would be Eminem, NaS, and Common.

Lupe Fiasco is my personal favorite. Would be up there if he made more flawless albums. He is sitting at two absolutely perfect albums right now, but alas it is not meant to be. Lasers!!!

Kanye will be up there as well if he quits that autotune. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but he needs to go back to rapping.

Lol, Kanye. He destroyed any chance of being considered "good" when he was on the track "Classic" with Nas, Rakim and KRS-One. They all killed it and Kanye did nothing, he had no right to be on that track with three legends. His verse was absolute trash just like the rest of his work.

Postmodernmartyr
04-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Sage Francis, Biggie, and Slug (Atmosphere for those of you who think that is a person).

Biz Markie. 100%

But my favorites, for what it's worth, would have to lie somewhere around Slug and Aesop. Busdriver trails closely behind.

Glad to see some similar minds...
Either of you familiar with the group Slug was in...
Deep Puddle Dynamics

Fonkey Monkey
04-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Lol, Kanye. He destroyed any chance of being considered "good" when he was on the track "Classic" with Nas, Rakim and KRS-One. They all killed it and Kanye did nothing, he had no right to be on that track with three legends. His verse was absolute trash just like the rest of his work.

I would say out of place more than anything. I dunno I didn't think it was bad just something didn't really fit right.
Honestly though, go listen to College Dropout and Late Registration and tell me they are garbage with a straight face:rolleyes:

Kid Cudi is amazing as well, can't wait to see what he comes out with next.

ShadowMasterr9
04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Top 5 Greatest Rappers of All Time:
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Eminem is by far the best even when he is being serious

ac2565
04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
People probably have L because of his punchlines and delivery. I'd consider him in my top 10. Dude was sick.

Can't believe people haven't listed AZ as one of the greats. Dude is lyrically ill. Doe or Die is classic.

Anybody who mentions Drake as a great should off themselves.
That's really hypocritical. I'm not saying Big L is bad but he isn't in my Top 10 because of the lack of material he released. I don't trust posthumous albums either. It's like an artist dying before he finishes a painting and someone else finishes it. It'll Probably be messed up and not be the vision the original artist intended.
Edit: Just saw this on youtube.
YouTube- Big L Documentary Trailer (First Draft) - "Street Struck: The Big L Story." COMING SOON!
Top 5 Greatest Rappers of All Time:
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Dylan spits hot fire.
Edit:
This guy is 6th.
YouTube- THE NEW EMINEM (LOL)

Xerofox
04-02-2010, 05:01 AM
One group I really like is the Dead Celebs but only as a collective, not as solo artists.

YouTube- DCS Back To 88

Anyway, besides Tupac I can't choose between Tech N9ne, Slug and Sage Francis.

YouTube- Atmosphere - Trying To Find A Balance

YouTube- Sage Francis - Sea Lion

YouTube- Tech N9ne Welcome To The MidWest

ps. People saying Eminem is one of the few who doesn't rap about money and bitches are totally not familiar with the underground scene.

SoleAssassin
04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
That's really hypocritical. I'm not saying Big L is bad but he isn't in my Top 10 because of the lack of material he released. I don't trust posthumous albums either. It's like an artist dying before he finishes a painting and someone else finishes it. It'll Probably be messed up and not be the vision the original artist intended.
Edit: Just saw this on youtube.
YouTube- Big L Documentary Trailer (First Draft) - "Street Struck: The Big L Story." COMING SOON! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PIrfD31X7Q)

Dylan spits hot fire.
Edit:
This guy is 6th.
YouTube- THE NEW EMINEM (LOL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOh1xvAyxw&feature=related)

Material doesn't have to be the only thing. Flow, delivery, lyrics are all based on being great. Look at the time L was in. Did you hear anyone sound like him? No. He was/is the punchline king. No one had his lyrics or delivery. That's why peeps put BIG in their top list. He had his own style. What makes you great is setting yourself apart from the rest; you gotta be original.

Of course, who people consider great is based on opinion. You need a census vote to get who the entire universe thinks is the GOAT MC.

Jorge Cabron
04-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Gonna have to go with 2Pac.

agentplatypus
04-04-2010, 09:12 PM
One group I really like is the Dead Celebs but only as a collective, not as solo artists.

YouTube- DCS Back To 88 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFSTsOiY2U)

Anyway, besides Tupac I can't choose between Tech N9ne, Slug and Sage Francis.

YouTube- Atmosphere - Trying To Find A Balance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEwHJX95QE&feature=fvst)

YouTube- Sage Francis - Sea Lion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTo_UjQ5ZI)

YouTube- Tech N9ne Welcome To The MidWest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLnA3wXReY)

ps. People saying Eminem is one of the few who doesn't rap about money and bitches are totally not familiar with the underground scene.

All dope artists. I might go see Tech N9ne in May and then Sage Francis in June. And I've already seen Atmosphere. Real dope show.

Volzagia
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Not a big rap fan but Eminem

Lava Tonsil
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM
From the debates raised here i'd say there's a few criteria that have to be met to be considered one of the best -
Longevity - 1 or 2 albums ain't enough.
Vocabulary - If you're rhyming bat, hat, cat ,rat you're wack as fuck.
Freestyle ability - Not rapping a written verse acapella, actual freestyle.
Respect of your peers/acclaim - Why chino XL is and was rubbish.

For me that leaves a few-
KRS One - Influenced many many rappers, dope live and a library of classics behind him.
NAS - Although not my favourite he made some seminal classics.
Biggie - Never enough music made but he made Puff Daddy sound half decent!!
Rakim - His 'comeback' showed hip hop what was missing.
Masta Ace - Catalogue of classics.
Wu Tang - New stuff divides opinion but still 'ain't nothing to fuck wit'
2pac - Loved worldwide for a reason.
Gangstarr (Guru) - If you release a decade of hits album you deserve to be mentioned.

And a personal fave, Diamond D. More of a producer but pretty much everything he touches is quality.
Eminem for me, isn't up there although he deserves his success he's pretty much a parody of himself now, and most of what he makes is just awful.

Postmodernmartyr
04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
From the debates raised here i'd say there's a few criteria that have to be met to be considered one of the best -
Longevity - 1 or 2 albums ain't enough.
Vocabulary - If you're rhyming bat, hat, cat ,rat you're wack as fuck.
Freestyle ability - Not rapping a written verse acapella, actual freestyle.
Respect of your peers/acclaim - Why chino XL is and was rubbish.

I like your criteria... ya know I'm surprised no one has mentioned Del around here...

ThaFireman
04-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Eminem for me, isn't up there although he deserves his success he's pretty much a parody of himself now, and most of what he makes is just awful.
Don't understand your "parody of himself" comment. While most people didn't catch the greatness of "Relapse" because they were mostly thinking about the accent (which I don't notice) to see the crazy wordplay and rhyming.

While "Encore" had some really shitty songs, he hasn't fallen off to me. Listen to his verse on 'Forever', 'Drop The World', or his freestyle on the BET Cypher of last year. Or just listen to Relapse, skipping "We Made You", "Bagpipes from Baghdad", and "Same Song & Dance". You have to be pretty deaf to not to hear that he is still great. I'll be here saying the same thing when Relapse 2 comes out and blows all of your minds.

SoleAssassin
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
There's no denying Em is one of the best in the game, but his last 2 albums have been meh. Encore was overall ass and Relapse was better than his previous effort, but not up to par with his older shit. His features have been dope; both of his verse from "Forever" and "Drop The World" are classic rhymes.

Gackt
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
YouTube- LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out

ThaFireman
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
There's no denying Em is one of the best in the game, but his last 2 albums have been meh. Encore was overall ass and Relapse was better than his previous effort, but not up to par with his older shit. His features have been dope; both of his verse from "Forever" and "Drop The World" are classic rhymes.
Encore isn't bad if you just remove "Rain Man", "Big Weenie", "Ass Like That", "Just Lose It", "My 1st Single". It had great songs like "Mosh", "Never Enough", "Encore", "Mockingbird", etc. While, yes, it is a disappointing album, it's not utter shit.

And the argument about not being as good as he used to be, name me one rapper that is just as good now as they used to be.

Rowey 94
04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Eminem. look at how long he's been around for? he's no hit wonder. hes gifted!

Massa Siggy
04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Eminem. look at how long he's been around for? he's no hit wonder. hes gifted!

Going by that logic Aerosmith should be the best band ever. But I think we all know that's far from the truth :p

Lava Tonsil
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Don't understand your "parody of himself" comment. While most people didn't catch the greatness of "Relapse" because they were mostly thinking about the accent (which I don't notice) to see the crazy wordplay and rhyming.

While "Encore" had some really shitty songs, he hasn't fallen off to me. Listen to his verse on 'Forever', 'Drop The World', or his freestyle on the BET Cypher of last year. Or just listen to Relapse, skipping "We Made You", "Bagpipes from Baghdad", and "Same Song & Dance". You have to be pretty deaf to not to hear that he is still great. I'll be here saying the same thing when Relapse 2 comes out and blows all of your minds.
I don't think he's fallen off, but he hasn't made anything i'm feeling in years.
Some of the flows are good but not enough to get excited about.
The average street cat has at least as much in their locker nowadays.
I have listened to Encore and Relapse (I have a friend who really digs Em) and while they certainly weren't as awful as the singles would have me believe they contained nothing that i really wanted to listen to again.

Let's face it, you have to already like Em to get past the singles and even bother with an album. Albums with 4 tracks that even a fan skips doesn't scream 'GOAT' to me.
All just opinion though, i get why Em is so popular but i think his target audience is a little younger than me (That's not a dig at you ThaFireman, just saying!).

EDIT- WHoever mentioned Del i kinda agre, i wanted to put Hieroglyphics but it felt a cop-out with so many mc's. And yes i know i listed Wu... :)

SoleAssassin
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Encore isn't bad if you just remove "Rain Man", "Big Weenie", "Ass Like That", "Just Lose It", "My 1st Single". It had great songs like "Mosh", "Never Enough", "Encore", "Mockingbird", etc. While, yes, it is a disappointing album, it's not utter shit.

And the argument about not being as good as he used to be, name me one rapper that is just as good now as they used to be.

Guru, Q-Tip, Common and Joe Budden are a few that come to mind.

Postmodernmartyr
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM

I would argue that Chuck D's best work came out this past decade and he's been doing it since the 80's...

Del The Funkee Homosapien continually get's better and more creative... I mean his song with the Gorillaz (Clint Eastwood) got him more recognition in mainstream music than almost 2 decades of an amazing catalog...

I've chosen not to list a large # of underground artists... but believe me, many of them are better now than when they started... your statement doesn't sound right at all to me...

ThaFireman
04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Let's face it, you have to already like Em to get past the singles and even bother with an album. Albums with 4 tracks that even a fan skips doesn't scream 'GOAT' to me.
All just opinion though, i get why Em is so popular but i think his target audience is a little younger than me (That's not a dig at you ThaFireman, just saying!).
I still like those songs, I just don't recommend the songs to people. You could have done better, but I still love it. Only song I don't like that had Eminem on was My Ballz. I could have made his verse on that song.

KSizzle
04-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Anyway, there better be a lot of Rakim in this thread or it fails.

I listed Rakim on the 1st page :)

I still think he is the greatest rapper alive. Paid in Full is a true hip hop classic.

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Relapse is messed up dude , just think of the meaning behind those songs , brilliant album but

Stay Wide Awake
Same Song and Dance
Music Box

Listen to those and tell me you aren't a little freaked out !

ac2565
04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Relapse is messed up dude , just think of the meaning behind those songs , brilliant album but

Stay Wide Awake
Same Song and Dance
Music Box

Listen to those and tell me you aren't a little freaked out !

Don't forget 3AM and Insane. Not the worst thing he said though. The worst thing he said was about Columbine on the song I'm Back.

Smoochy
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't know enough rap to decipher who the greatest is.

But my favorites are:
Eminem
Tupac
Biggie
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind Tricks
Canibus

ApochWeiss
04-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Believe it or not, I once enjoyed rap, and still do to an extent. i find some of Snoop Dogg's new release rather addicting, but of course some of it makes me wanna blow my brains out with a gun. That being said, I feel there are two rappers who stand among everyone else, and it's a pitty they passed away. I ALWAYS enjoyed their material, and probably always will.

Biggie Smalls, and Tupac.

Personally I prefer Biggie's material over Tupac, but I find both of them to have composed some of the best, as well as most influential, material. I do put Jay-Z up there as well because of his lyrical content, but I'm just not a fan of his voice. I dunno why, it just irritates the living bejesus out of me, but he's up there too.

My vote (if you didn't read): Biggie Smalls

Just don't go say his name three times in the mirror ;)

DevilMaster18
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Common, Mike Shinoda (Fort Minor, band - Rapper from Linkin Park), Timbaland.

mrbonelly
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
c'mon now! Vanilla Ice, Marky Mark & the funky bunch, and MC Hammer........ can't touch 'em!:p

edit: oops, i'm sorry, going by DevilMaster18 I though we were talking about the WORST rapper ever...

DevilMaster18
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
c'mon now! Vanilla Ice, Marky Mark & the funky bunch, and MC Hammer........ can't touch 'em!:p

edit: oops, i'm sorry, going by DevilMaster18 I though we were talking about the WORST rapper ever...

Those are the ones i just listen to, i know what the thread is implying but i'm just naming the recent and catchy ones i had listened to.

I mean i can name a few for you like Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, NAS etc... but i personally don't listen to them. They maybe one of the best but not every person likes them. I can't name the 'greatest rapper of all time' if i don't like listening to their music, although they do have some great songs but album wise, no.

Let me give you a example, you may think the car is the best invention for the mobility it provides but some people might think it's crap and say motorbike is the best for the mobility it provides - even though they know full well a car is better than a bike, it's just simply their personal opinion.

mrbonelly
04-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Those are the ones i just listen to, i know what the thread is implying but i'm just naming the recent and catchy ones i had listened to.

I mean i can name a few for you like Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, NAS etc... but i personally don't listen to them. They maybe one of the best but not every person likes them. I can't name the 'greatest rapper of all time' if i don't like listening to their music, although they do have some great songs but album wise, no.

Let me give you a example, you may think the car is the best invention for the mobility it provides but some people might think it's crap and say motorbike is the best for the mobility it provides - even though they know full well a car is better than a bike, it's just simply their personal opinion.

It was all a joke...;)

DevilMaster18
04-13-2010, 08:01 AM
It was all a joke...;)

Then it's all good. :p

Illution
04-14-2010, 02:45 AM
That would mean that they know the car is better than a bike, meaning that their opinion is to USE the bike, not think it's better.

Personally... Nas might be the GOAT for me. But a lot of the time he doesn't deliver. He's got Ether, Hip Hop is Dead, One mic... such great hits amongst a few bad ones is pretty good.

On the other hand, the things Canibus can do with a mic is untouchable. His rhyme scheme on his good songs is beautiful! I can't imagine a more deserving emcee.

BUT! Big L has the sickest flow. I don't think he's the GOAT but he deserves a mention. So original and sick, I love it.

KayCeaEffahless
04-14-2010, 05:19 AM
People seem to think that if they like sumthin, that makes it the greatest. To really name the greatest rapper you have to take in more to account than "i like him so he's the best". Of course that doesnt mean it shouldn't help your choice, but it shouldn't decide it for you. If it was like that then we'd never get anywhere because EVERYONE likes to listen to SOMEONE. I saw alot of Eminem and Rakim's on this list so i guess i'll touch on those. Either could be the greatest of all time but you have to take consistence into account. Rakim(with Eric B) changed the game with his wordplay and rhyme scheme. And made it cool to be lyrical. Eminem came into the game with the stereotype of white people can't rap, and spit in everyones face. With his comical lyrics and impacting songs he was on anotha level that couldn't(and can't) be touched. Reason why i think neither of them qualify is to be the greatest you have to stay "relevant". Rakim faded from mainstream limelight and hasn't been on top since. But given his legacy as the microphone fiend he was considered the greatest at some point(just not currently). Eminem was pouring out hits between D12 and his solo releases. But then he had some"health" issues(Look it up on wikipedia) and also faded. He doesn't have as big of a legacy as Rakim but he's still a legend in the game himself. That all being said, i'm not tryna BASH on anyones fav. emcee. I'm just giving it a realistic stand point(i personally like both artist). And i know this point is long....i can't help it, i get like this when it's sumthin i'm into.

DevilMaster18
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
That would mean that they know the car is better than a bike, meaning that their opinion is to USE the bike, not think it's better.

Personally... Nas might be the GOAT for me. But a lot of the time he doesn't deliver. He's got Ether, Hip Hop is Dead, One mic... such great hits amongst a few bad ones is pretty good.

On the other hand, the things Canibus can do with a mic is untouchable. His rhyme scheme on his good songs is beautiful! I can't imagine a more deserving emcee.

BUT! Big L has the sickest flow. I don't think he's the GOAT but he deserves a mention. So original and sick, I love it.

Exactly, there is no such thing as a greatest rapper as each individual has their own opinion of the so called 'greatest', most people (on this thread) think Eminem is greatest but to rock/metal fans he's just trash.

Also, i don't understand your quote, you pretty much repeated what i said in a different way... They think bike is better because it's their personal opinion but they know a car is more popular, good for driving multiple people around, great stability etc... But, knowing the car that's better than the bike doesn't change the fact that they rather drive a motorbike.

I try to make it clearer with this analogy, let's say greatest rapper is Jay-Z and refer him as water and Timbaland is food, most people would say water (Jay-Z) is the best thing to consume to survive but the other half say food (Timbaland).

No one shares the same thought of 'greatest' with each other, it's always different.

Postmodernmartyr
04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm just curious, was there a reason you said metal fans wouldn't think Em is GOAT? I know a lot of metal ans that probably think he is... and I'm not a fan of metal or EM...

Illution
04-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Exactly, there is no such thing as a greatest rapper as each individual has their own opinion of the so called 'greatest', most people (on this thread) think Eminem is greatest but to rock/metal fans he's just trash.

Also, i don't understand your quote, you pretty much repeated what i said in a different way... They think bike is better because it's their personal opinion but they know a car is more popular, good for driving multiple people around, great stability etc... But, knowing the car that's better than the bike doesn't change the fact that they rather drive a motorbike.

I try to make it clearer with this analogy, let's say greatest rapper is Jay-Z and refer him as water and Timbaland is food, most people would say water (Jay-Z) is the best thing to consume to survive but the other half say food (Timbaland).

No one shares the same thought of 'greatest' with each other, it's always different. Uhh, I don't think Eminem is nearly CLOSE to the greatest... But yeah, I Don't know why you said that hahaha

The quote means... I'm trying to say that yeah, I can like to listen to Jay-Z more, but I know Nas is better. That's what you were saying and it made NO sense because if you know something is better, then it should be the greatest, not something you like. Get it? Your analogy was weird and scares me.

I share the greatest with a couple of my friends so you lied there too!
stop lying!!!!
:) i joke i joke

Smoochy
04-15-2010, 01:09 AM
most people (on this thread) think Eminem is greatest but to rock/metal fans he's just trash. Not true. Em is my favorite rapper of all-time and I'm a huge metal fan.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Uhh, I don't think Eminem is nearly CLOSE to the greatest... But yeah, I Don't know why you said that hahaha

The quote means... I'm trying to say that yeah, I can like to listen to Jay-Z more, but I know Nas is better. That's what you were saying and it made NO sense because if you know something is better, then it should be the greatest, not something you like. Get it? Your analogy was weird and scares me.

I share the greatest with a couple of my friends so you lied there too!
stop lying!!!!
:) i joke i joke

I didn't say Eminem was greatest, i said most people on this forum said Eminem that's why i used him as a example.

Plus, if you know something is the greatest yet you hate it, you can't exactly agree with it even though you hate it.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Not true. Em is my favorite rapper of all-time and I'm a huge metal fan.

I see, quite a few of my friends are metal/rock fans and they think rap nowadays is not what it used to be. They preferred the old rap. Also, when Eminem got tea-bagged by Bruno they laughed their a$$ off even though i said it was all fixed.

I've honestly never heard a metal fan has a favourite rapper, usually metal fans hates rappers or just don't care about them. Metal people and Rap people don't mix they're like fire and water, like my friends whenever they see chavs (not sure you know what it means in America) they just laugh or just go "f**king chavs!" etc...

I personally don't mind listening to any music, they just tell me "turn that crap off!" whenever i'm listening to rap music beside my metal friends.

You're a unique one that favourite a rapper yet love metal, but your probably not a hardcore metal fan. It's like saying Arsenal fans has a favourite Tottenham legend, it just don't go that way.

PS. Arsenal and Tottenham are rivals, occassionally fights breaks out between the two football (soccer) clubs - like hooligan riots (although they're never as bad as Westham and Millwall).

Smoochy
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I see, quite a few of my friends are metal/rock fans and they think rap nowadays is not what it used to be. They preferred the old rap. Also, when Eminem got tea-bagged by Bruno they laughed their a$$ off even though i said it was all fixed.

I've honestly never heard a metal fan has a favourite rapper, usually metal fans hates rappers or just don't care about them. Metal people and Rap people don't mix they're like fire and water, like my friends whenever they see chavs (not sure you know what it means in America) they just laugh or just go "f**king chavs!" etc...

I personally don't mind listening to any music, they just tell me "turn that crap off!" whenever i'm listening to rap music beside my metal friends.

You're a unique one that favourite a rapper yet love metal, but your probably not a hardcore metal fan. It's like saying Arsenal fans has a favourite Tottenham legend, it just don't go that way.

PS. Arsenal and Tottenham are rivals, occassionally fights breaks out between the two football (soccer) clubs - like hooligan riots (although they're never as bad as Westham and Millwall). Metal is my second favorite genre (only second to hardcore). I love off branches of metal like death metal, good deathcore, old school metalcore, tech death, and a couple of others. Pretty much the only metal I don't care for is black metal.

Sounds like your friends are just closed minded. (No offense). I know a TON of metal fans who love rap as well (old and new). I do agree that, for the most part, the old rap is what's popular among metal fans. I love old rap too, but I also like a few modern rappers.

Some of my favorites are: Eminem, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Big L, Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, (old) 50 Cent, and then old groups like Wu Tang Clan, Public Enemy, and NWA.

Then some of my favorite metal bands are: Skinless, Converge, Cattle Decapitation, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, As You Drown, The Boy Will Drown, Gallows For Grace, Vale Of Pnath, and Beneath The Massacre.

It's not odd for a metal fan to like good rap. Now, radio rap (for the most part), is bashed by a lot of metal fans, but that shit is horrible and deserves to be bashed.

jtr1gg3r
04-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll be honest and say I personally hate metal, and hardcore or whatever, I just think its a bunch of weird looking blokes screaming, but I suppose metal fans could just come and say rapping is just people talking =P

I like rap, not my favourite genre but its nice to just sit back and chill to. But rap can be split into many things these days - Beatboxing, freestyle, grime and lots more.

personally I like Dizzee Rascal, talented bloke his older stuff was all spitting bars over beats (freestyle) and then he took the next step into grime (and some of those tracks were damn awful) and now he's into like bassline/electro style.

NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, Public Enemy, Dr.Dre - all old school rap and its extremley different to today but both have there pro's and cons.

there is a suttle difference between US rappers and UK rappers because most of the US rappers have the backing and all record tracks that sound the same *cough* Timbaland *cough* Jay-Z *cough*

where as in the UK there is literally no backing whatsoever and its all underground and most of the stuff is fresh and actually brilliant, its only every so often a UK act will break through e.g. Tinie Tempa (Pass Out), he's been on the scene for about 4 years and has only just got some recognition

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Metal is my second favorite genre (only second to hardcore). I love off branches of metal like death metal, good deathcore, old school metalcore, tech death, and a couple of others. Pretty much the only metal I don't care for is black metal.

Sounds like your friends are just closed minded. (No offense). I know a TON of metal fans who love rap as well (old and new). I do agree that, for the most part, the old rap is what's popular among metal fans. I love old rap too, but I also like a few modern rappers.

Some of my favorites are: Eminem, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Big L, Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, (old) 50 Cent, and then old groups like Wu Tang Clan, Public Enemy, and NWA.

Then some of my favorite metal bands are: Skinless, Converge, Cattle Decapitation, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, As You Drown, The Boy Will Drown, Gallows For Grace, Vale Of Pnath, and Beneath The Massacre.

It's not odd for a metal fan to like good rap. Now, radio rap (for the most part), is bashed by a lot of metal fans, but that shit is horrible and deserves to be bashed.

I'm not really a metal fan, although i do like Avenged Sevenfold. I prefer rock/rap/hiphop like Linkin Park a mixture of Rap and Rock, Nikelback, Owl City, Iyaz, Foo Fighters, Red hot Chilli Peppers (their old songs), Timbaland etc... I'm into any music with a good bass, tune and if it's catchy. You're more open minded than other metal fans.

Most metal fan i see most the time they usually hang around in groups, long hair, dark clothes/ hair, make up and black drench coat. I just can't imagine them listening to rap.

You're a rare metal fan, or the metal fans in my city just one-minded lol, every metal friends i've come across just dislike me mentioning rap whenever we just have a normal conversation. They always go "change the music/radio station" when rap is playing or they say "Let me show you some decent music" when i'm playing rap/hip hop songs.

I'm just a bit shocked seeing a metal fan love rap. I think you're more like me - enjoy every type of music. If you're 100% metal fan you would steer clear from rap music.

Just like PS3 fans hate XBOX 360 fans, vice versa. You get the open-minded ones but the loyal fans never betray what they love.

DevilMaster18
04-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I'll be honest and say I personally hate metal, and hardcore or whatever, I just think its a bunch of weird looking blokes screaming, but I suppose metal fans could just come and say rapping is just people talking =P

I like rap, not my favourite genre but its nice to just sit back and chill to. But rap can be split into many things these days - Beatboxing, freestyle, grime and lots more.

personally I like Dizzee Rascal, talented bloke his older stuff was all spitting bars over beats (freestyle) and then he took the next step into grime (and some of those tracks were damn awful) and now he's into like bassline/electro style.

NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, Public Enemy, Dr.Dre - all old school rap and its extremley different to today but both have there pro's and cons.

there is a suttle difference between US rappers and UK rappers because most of the US rappers have the backing and all record tracks that sound the same *cough* Timbaland *cough* Jay-Z *cough*

where as in the UK there is literally no backing whatsoever and its all underground and most of the stuff is fresh and actually brilliant, its only every so often a UK act will break through e.g. Tinie Tempa (Pass Out), he's been on the scene for about 4 years and has only just got some recognition

Haha, yeah i completely agree with you. I do think metal bands just scream in mic and are quite boring but i must admit you do get some decent tunes from them sometimes like Avenged Sevenfold, All American Rejects, Cavo, Nikelback, theory of a deadman etc... But if you ask me to buy their albums i can't unless every song sounds good. That's why i prefer top 40's UK songs than buying a album of a artist. I must say Nikelback - Darkhorse impressed me, every song was good and Timbaland's first album was brilliant.

Smoochy
04-16-2010, 04:11 AM
Sorry to get off topic, but for people saying metal is just a bunch of guys screaming, you have a very VERY closed minded view on it. The screaming that the vocalists do in metal bands (even though there are types of metal with no screaming) takes a lot of talent and training. It's easy to blow your vocal chords out if you don't do it properly. So, even though it may sound like they're just screaming, it's actually a lot harder than just "screaming into a mic".

I am in no way bashing rap, as I've said before, I quite like a good bit of it. Though, in all honesty, it really doesn't take too much talent (aside from the lyrical content and the flow of the good rappers).

Again, I apologize for getting off topic.

DOOKH8R
04-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Ice Cube is my personal favorite, but I don't know who is the best ever. Too hard to make that determination

Fonkey Monkey
04-21-2010, 03:56 AM
I bought The ecstatic yesterday, and I must say it is AMAZING.
I've never really listened to Mos Def before, I've seen or heard him on random stuff forever though.
His superb tracks on the new Gorillaz cd made me go out and buy his album and it is highly recommended.

OG Baker224
04-21-2010, 04:05 AM
For me it has to be Snoopdogg.Well at least his old stuff.I like more of the Old school rap then all this radio new shit.

smhaf1983
04-22-2010, 08:11 PM
2 pac
eminem
tech n9ne
snoop dogg

In that order.

Iv AJay vI
04-23-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm going to say Tupac. Yes, he talked alot about "thug life" and all that shit, but he put more emotion into his music then anybody ever has, and thats why I love his music. Biggie, and Eminem also put an amazing amount of emotion into their music, and nobody can deny that.

Lmao, ily.

YouTube- Eric B. & Rakim - Microphone Fiend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfIIn5V_LQ)

I miss hip hop. All it is today is drugs, "bitches", and money.

jessd_25
04-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Eminem of course. He is one of the only rappers I can listen to anymore, because his songs aren't all about the same damn thing - bitches and hoe's, 20" rims, and being at da club.

martdude16
04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I bought The ecstatic yesterday, and I must say it is AMAZING.
I've never really listened to Mos Def before, I've seen or heard him on random stuff forever though.
His superb tracks on the new Gorillaz cd made me go out and buy his album and it is highly recommended.

Mos Def is amazing. I recommend you downloading/buying 'The New Danger' and 'Black on Both Sides'.... I like those waaaaay better than 'The Ecstatic' (which IMO is still a pretty decent LP).

"Mathematics" is one of my favourite songs ever.
"Hip Hop", "Sunshine", "The Rape Over". The guy is awesome! Glad someone else agrees...

Jon5880
06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Jon Lajoie cuz hes my dads friend and his songs r hilarious as shit

but if ur only talkign about the legendary rappers then id say eminem 4 best lyrics

mcgive
06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Ice Cube and the NWA

Blah 2k
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Eminem has my vote on this. His lyrics speak volumes.

Colby4780
07-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Thats easy, Eminem.

MaNiiAC
07-02-2010, 01:38 AM
I would have to say its between Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Gucci Mane, or Eminem

Kairi
07-02-2010, 02:58 AM
I would have to Eminem. I can actually stand him xD (I dont exactly like rap..)

animeaddict42
07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Eminem, the only rapper I can listen to more than once.

MrWeatherman91
07-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Eminem is the best one ever

nagal
07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
My vote goes for Tech N9ne.. best ever!!! hes changed the independent music forever

I love brotha lynch.. and i hope he does good on strange..

ThaFireman
07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I miss hip hop. All it is today is drugs, "bitches", and money.
You have to know where to look to find good rap. The radio is not where to start.

Corrupt.
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Big L. So talented, his career cut so short...

Milimanci
07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I've recently gotten into Gucci Mane. But I listened to Ludacris' music when I was growing up, so he's still my other fav. Atlanta Zoo FTW

nagal
07-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Big L. So talented, his career cut so short... man.. Big L had so much talent and potential.. second that

nEcroUzomaki
07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I have to say 2pac and the underrated Lupe Fiasco just love his raps.

QuebecRock
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I know there is an official hip-hop thread, but I felt like it would be much easier get legitimate, organized responses in a seperate thread.
So, who, in your opinion, is the greatest rapper of all time?

My Vote: Eminem

I doubt anyone will agree, but the reason I think he's so great is how real he is. He raps about real life, not just pussy, money and weed (Lil Wayne).
There are very few good lyricists left and Eminem is definitely one of them. I know he hasn't came out with anything remotely decent lately but overall he's a legend. Today's popular music is so stupid and the lyrics are trash.
"We pop champagne cuz we got that dough..." WTF is that? That's so dumb and frustrating, yet it's so popular. Whatever haha post who you thinks the best and why.
I think the best of all the rapper is Metallica !!!!

SoleAssassin
07-29-2010, 03:10 AM
man.. Big L had so much talent and potential.. second that

Big L was that dude.

"My run is like Machine Gun Kelly, with a black skully,Put one in your belly, leave you smelly, then take your Pelle Pelle."

DocRevolt
07-29-2010, 06:54 AM

Dude, that was incredible. I really dislike most rap but that was amazing.

Anyway, I really don't like much rap. A lot of Eminem (not all of his stuff mind you), Fort Minor, and some Kanye are really all I enjoy. Maybe a little Jay-Z too, but other than that, not much else.

agentplatypus
07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
You have to know where to look to find good rap. The radio is not where to start. Amen.

And +1 to who ever said Big L. Dude is a legend.

BSC YoungBoy
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
lil wayne. no doubt

agentplatypus
07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
lil wayne. no doubt I lol'd. Funny joke.

DocRevolt
07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
lil wayne. no doubt
If that was serious then you have problems.

Young Lil Teezy
07-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Big L, straight up. Runners up are as follows: B.I.G, Ghostface killa, Rakim, Nas

guillermo316
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Eminem! hands downz! hi'z skill'z are un....beatable?

lilchris094
08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Don't know about the rest of his freestyles but Dose is telling the truth.

YouTube- Scribble Jam 97 MC Battle Eminem vs Dose One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZVZE5USl4&feature=related)
As far as I know he doesn't have any of this written.

YouTube- Scribble Jam 97 Emcee Semi-Finals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qXOsdP9apo)
Here's the semis that Dose was describing. Eminem used the "Jim Brady" line on "Just Don't Give a ****".

Wrong, all he says is m80 and Brain dead like jim brady. Stfu just because he said that in a freestyle dosent mean that he copied it off of his song. Learn your rap and GTFO

The Brownie Bandit
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
It's a tie between Outkast and Wu Tang Clan.

Milimanci
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
T.I. is my fav. Just started getting into Eminem, too.

KayCeaEffahless
08-18-2010, 06:25 PM
This is gonna go on FOREVER:rolleyes: But to humor the situation...in my opinion there's no reason to over complicate somethin as enjoyable as music. Trying to break down each style to it's core structure just to say "oh this artist is better because bleh bleh" or "I don't think rap is real music/ Metal is all a bunch of guys screaming":( Problem with all that is..it limits what you can "hear" and that's when we become closed off to what could potentially be a style we can grow to love(or it grows onto us). Me personally I don't overthink shit with music(or life in general). If i like it..i like it, if i want to listen to it..i will. I wont(and shouldn't) be told my opinions wrong based SOLELY of someone elses opinion. I grew up in an area surrounded by hip-hop influences. But then DDR came out and brought me into Techno, which led to Trance,etc. I can "slap"(means listen to) the lastest NaS album. Then turn around and listen to Dance Gavin Dance(Screamo/Emo/rock) and vibe to that just as hard. Then throw in some Dj Mystik or Dj Taka or Tiesto. It's to the point where i refined my ears to such a lvl, that i can(and do) listen to the noise of statik as a form of relaxation:).(It may sound weird..but for those who don't know the definition of "music" is "Organized Sound" and white noise/static is known to have an almost creepy way of relaxing u) After sayin all that, i got nothin else to say. So that's all kiddies and biggies, just keep in mind to keep thinking less so you wont have to think more. And remember simplicity is key;)

P.S. And here's the lock:locked

ooo0ooooooo0ooo
08-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Let me start by sayin that theres no such thing as "the greatest rapper/musician" because its all opinion... and also let me say that Lil Wayne is terrible. Just listen to his lyrics. They almost never make any sense at all. But anyway, my "favorite" rapper is a very unpopular artist named MC Chris.

Heres a link to one of his songs, one of my favorite beats he has made.

YouTube- mc chris - lowercase

ThaFireman
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
This is gonna go on FOREVER:rolleyes: But to humor the situation...in my opinion there's no reason to over complicate somethin as enjoyable as music. Trying to break down each style to it's core structure just to say "oh this artist is better because bleh bleh" or "I don't think rap is real music/ Metal is all a bunch of guys screaming":( Problem with all that is..it limits what you can "hear" and that's when we become closed off to what could potentially be a style we can grow to love(or it grows onto us). Me personally I don't overthink shit with music(or life in general). If i like it..i like it, if i want to listen to it..i will. I wont(and shouldn't) be told my opinions wrong based SOLELY of someone elses opinion. I grew up in an area surrounded by hip-hop influences. But then DDR came out and brought me into Techno, which led to Trance,etc. I can "slap"(means listen to) the lastest NaS album. Then turn around and listen to Dance Gavin Dance(Screamo/Emo/rock) and vibe to that just as hard. Then throw in some Dj Mystik or Dj Taka or Tiesto. It's to the point where i refined my ears to such a lvl, that i can(and do) listen to the noise of statik as a form of relaxation:).(It may sound weird..but for those who don't know the definition of "music" is "Organized Sound" and white noise/static is known to have an almost creepy way of relaxing u) After sayin all that, i got nothin else to say. So that's all kiddies and biggies, just keep in mind to keep thinking less so you wont have to think more. And remember simplicity is key;)

P.S. And here's the lock:locked
That's nice. So who's your favorite rapper?

EliteShadowMan
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I've recently gotten into Gucci Mane. But I listened to Ludacris' music when I was growing up, so he's still my other fav. Atlanta Zoo FTW

dude thank god someone at least acknowledged ludacris! god i love that son of a bitch.

Also like Eminem, Dr. Dre, D12, Jay Z, and other stuff.

I hate talentless faggots like Lil' Wayne and all those other homos who have their names starting with Lil' or Young. ewwww rap is so terrible mostly now days which is why i turned towards metal ^.^

WartyHogger
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Greatest rapper: Eminem, no doubt. And no not slim shady, that was his mainstream phase. I'm sure there's people somewhere saying naw naw THIS [random youtube link] is better. Well if he's underground, unknown, or anything in between, I probably have not heard of them as I'm not ever desperate enough to search for more talent in the rap genre. Not to mention that all the underground rappers sound exactly the same. But then again, what rappers don't sound the same ;)

KayCeaEffahless
08-19-2010, 06:07 PM
That's nice. So who's your favorite rapper?

Over the past 10 years i've had countless favorites. But for at least 4-5 of those years my favorite was lil wayne. What he was and what he has become is probably one of the more disappointing things that i've had to watch happen in my life..=_= Currently i have no favorites, and the mainstream part of the industry is just...bleh. And to top it off the underground scene isn't real like it used to be. It's sad:(..bad:blunt..in no way rad:cool:..and it makes me kinda mad:mad:

ThaFireman
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Not to mention that all the underground rappers sound exactly the same. But then again, what rappers don't sound the same ;)

ewwww rap is so terrible mostly now days which is why i turned towards metal ^.^

The ironic part is all metal sounds the same. Heyyyooo!

ac2565
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Wrong, all he says is m80 and Brain dead like jim brady. Stfu just because he said that in a freestyle dosent mean that he copied it off of his song. Learn your rap and GTFO

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/ac2565/facepalm23.jpg

Don't expect a serious response. I don't respond seriously to stupidity.

RAIDERJUNKIE
08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Eminem gets my vote

Mister Buds
08-20-2010, 01:05 AM
practically no one in this thread has heard of rap outside of the radio, apparently. eminem isn't even the best white rapper.

YouTube- R.A. the Rugged Man "Legendary Classics Vol. 1" Music Video

YouTube- Diabolic - 60 Bars (360 Bars: A Full Circle Part 1 of 6)

YouTube- Elzhi - Deep (Prod. by Black Milk)

i'd pick one of those three...

ThaFireman
08-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Diabolic
Diabolic is so crazy but he relies too much on multis and sometimes just rhymes words because they rhymes and not to tell stories. That's the best thing about Eminem is his amazing ability to tell amazing stories that rhyme.

DOOKH8R
08-20-2010, 05:10 AM
apparently. eminem isn't even the best white rapper.

Correct.
Sir Michael Diamond is.

EliteShadowMan
08-20-2010, 07:55 PM

no ur thinking of screamo lmao. shit like screamo and death metal type crap sounds the same....but if u listen to a wider variety of metal bands then u will see they don't sound the same.

o THE CHAD o
08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Chuck D or Eminem

WartyHogger
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree, and all country and all child pop starts and all techno.

agentplatypus
08-22-2010, 12:38 AM
practically no one in this thread has heard of rap outside of the radio, apparently. eminem isn't even the best white rapper.

YouTube- R.A. the Rugged Man "Legendary Classics Vol. 1" Music Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnWInIJcrhM)

YouTube- Diabolic - 60 Bars (360 Bars: A Full Circle Part 1 of 6) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPRsy0hzck)

YouTube- Elzhi - Deep (Prod. by Black Milk) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-KMVp7r-Vw)

i'd pick one of those three...
Amen.
R.A. has the dopest flow since Big Pun.

diabolic is really dope too. His new album is a classic in my books.

FRANKSEY
08-22-2010, 12:50 AM
2pac, eminem, bigie

3 great music artist, music has gone down hill since 2pac and bigie went, i love listening to eminem though.

Juggernautroar
08-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Necro by a long long way. his freestyles are awesome

solidhippo
08-22-2010, 02:32 AM
T. Mills is mine.

ElPeruve
08-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Joell Ortiz is one of the nicest out there today. Big Pun was is my choice for all time. He definitely left his imprint during his short time out there.

ThaFireman
08-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Joell Ortiz is one of the nicest out there today. Big Pun was is my choice for all time. He definitely left his imprint during his short time out there.
Ortiz needs to hurry and get signed so he can release 'Free Agent'.

Joewl45
08-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Eminem's work had a magnificent dive in quality over the last few years so I don't think it can be him. I'd say Big Boi holds the crown for me, at least in terms of the last decade or so. His lyrics and rhymes are always very intelligent and diverse, with this song being a prime example:

YouTube- Outkast--Rooster

Greatest rapper: Eminem, no doubt. And no not slim shady, that was his mainstream phase. I'm sure there's people somewhere saying naw naw THIS [random youtube link] is better. Well if he's underground, unknown, or anything in between, I probably have not heard of them as I'm not ever desperate enough to search for more talent in the rap genre. Not to mention that all the underground rappers sound exactly the same. But then again, what rappers don't sound the same ;)

Er... If you don't listen to underground rap then how do you know it all sounds the same?

.MaTTHeW
08-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Eminem
Eminem is so real, and if he's going through shit he'll say it. Not be like, "I'mma blood, makin' you a crip" or some retarded bullshit. Lil Wayne's a joke, he's all about the money, pussy, and whips. Eminem tells you in every song he writes about wht's happening too him.

Relapse: ALL about him relapsing and doing drugs.
Recovery: ALL about him going back too a better place.

Eminem hasn't changed since day one, and as you've listened too all his songs or some, you've gone from rags too riches with him. Listen too the lyrics you've seen him rise, fall, rise, and just so much more! Great rapper. He is probably the all time best, in my opinion.

Postmodernmartyr
08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Not to mention that all the underground rappers sound exactly the same. But then again, what rappers don't sound the same ;)

Look, I could throw up countless links and ask how all of it sounds the same... but I'm not, even radio rap (which I'm not a fan of) does not sound the same...

In any genre, to a person that doesn't listen to it, stuff sounds the same to them... I don't know why... no two artists could ever sound exactly the same, no matter how hard they try... though there will always be cheap imitations...

Pieville
08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm just gonna say it and no one can silence me!

LIL WAYNE is the greatest rapper of all time.

... You should have seen the look on your face. Priceless.

No but really I would say Eminem is the greatest rapper, his stuff is legendary. Nas is also wicked, you have to listen to 'Hip Hop is Dead'. And has anyone listened to Tinie Tempah, he is the best, I mean it. You have to get his songs. His album 'Disc-Overy' comes out October and I can't wait. His music is like nothing I've heard before, his newest single 'Written in the Stars' is just phenomenal!

His first two singles were meaningless but extremely well-done, they're called 'Pass Out' & 'Frisky', and like I said before 'Written in the Stars' is just amazing, it shows some real emotion and Eric Turner does the chorus it's just amazing.

Also don't be so harsh on Lil Wayne, sure his songs are terrible but not all of them are.
Lollipop and Drop the World are actually good!

Sorry about the long post...:p

tomDG111
09-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Eminem for me :D

"Wayne did a millie, 50 did a millie,
Ye too, but what Em did was silly,
the white boy blossomed after Dre endorsed him,
his flow on Renegade, fucking awesome,
Applaud him."

Lava Tonsil
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Eminem
Eminem is so real, and if he's going through shit he'll say it. Not be like, "I'mma blood, makin' you a crip" or some retarded bullshit. Lil Wayne's a joke, he's all about the money, pussy, and whips. Eminem tells you in every song he writes about wht's happening too him.

Relapse: ALL about him relapsing and doing drugs.
Recovery: ALL about him going back too a better place.

Eminem hasn't changed since day one, and as you've listened too all his songs or some, you've gone from rags too riches with him. Listen too the lyrics you've seen him rise, fall, rise, and just so much more! Great rapper. He is probably the all time best, in my opinion.

For the record (Excuse the terrible pun) -
Relapse: ALL about money
Recovery: ALL about money.
Eminem retired to act/do other projects/be a fmaily man; got shit offers and fancied a bit more money and limelight, and so guess what, he came back to rap!

Back OT, it's a personal thing of choice, but i don't understand why so many people who admit they 'aren't into rap' can put forward any name (Mostly eminem) for the greatest rapper of all time? Just a though but in order rate a best you need comparables, and if you don't like or listen to rap how can you rate somebody best?
I realise i'm being pedantic but the thread is 'G.O.A.T', not 'favourite of all time'.
I'm not even anti-Eminem, i guess i'm more anti-Eminem fans, a bit like Newcastle fans - all the bollocks about how their team is best - none of the evidence!!

KirbyTheAlmighty
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't believe in a best rapper.
Here are a couple of my favorite rappers and rap-groups.

P.O.S.
Tech N9ne
Method Man & Redman
Slug (of Atmosphere)
Sadistik

Mister Buds
09-06-2010, 11:33 PM
alright, i'm back. can't believe i forgot about this dude. he should at the very least be in everyone's top 5. he's been rapping since 1992 and also produces a lot of his own songs. i'm just going to post a couple tracks from his main albums, but honestly i can listen to his whole discography without skipping a track.

YouTube- 7l & esoteric - mic mastery

YouTube- 7L & Esoteric - Verbal Assault

YouTube- 7L & Esoteric - Precision

YouTube- 7l & Esoteric - Axe Hurlers

YouTube- MC Esoteric - Looks Like Religion

YouTube- 7L & Esoteric - Herb

and that should about do it for this thread.

KFZ Scrubs
09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
There's a handful of rappers that can even be qualified as rappers nowadays.... most of it is crap and people acknowledge it as music.
My favorite rapper is probably Eminem.... i really don't like Lil Wayne.
Best of all time, i'm going with Tupac.
I can listen to his stuff all day long and most of his lyrics aren't jibberish like rappers today.

ThaFireman
09-07-2010, 02:51 AM
alright, i'm back. can't believe i forgot about this dude. he should at the very least be in everyone's top 5. he's been rapping since 1992 and also produces a lot of his own songs. i'm just going to post a couple tracks from his main albums, but honestly i can listen to his whole discography without skipping a track.
I like, I like. What album would you recommend I listen to first?

Just got the new KRS-One album, Vinnie Paz, & Dj Muggs & Ill Bill (not really liking).

Also what's the best album from the following rappers that I should listen to first:

Jedi Mind Tricks
Army of the Pharaohs

Also, I've heard some stuff from Celph Titled that I liked and since I can't really find anything about him except the 4 disc album he came out with so I guess it would be best to get that? Thanks.

agentplatypus
09-07-2010, 04:56 AM

Just got the new KRS-One album, Vinnie Paz, & Dj Muggs & Ill Bill (not really liking).

Also what's the best album from the following rappers that I should listen to first:

Jedi Mind Tricks
Army of the Pharaohs

Also, I've heard some stuff from Celph Titled that I liked and since I can't really find anything about him except the 4 disc album he came out with so I guess it would be best to get that? Thanks.

The best Jedi Mind Tricks albums are The first 2. The The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological, And Electro-Magnetic Manipulation Of Human Consciousness, and Violent by Design. All their other albums are good too but those are the best IMO. Army of the Pharaohs best album is probably their first or second one. I haven't fucked with the third one that much yet though.

Celph Titled has a new album coming out October 26th.

Lava Tonsil
09-07-2010, 04:06 PM
@Fireman I'd recommend 'Torture Papers' of the AOTP albums, although i'd say listening to AOTP is pretty much the same as Jedi Mind Tricks. Very similar line ups and sound.

Mister Buds
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Jedi Mind Tricks
Army of the Pharaohs

yeah, that dj muggs and ill bill album was a total letdown.

for esoteric, start out with "the soul purpose" and "dangerous connection." both are five star, classic albums.

the best jedi mind tricks album, imo, is "the psycho-social, chemical, biological, & electro-magnetic manipulation of human consciousness." but if you don't like their old school sound, then "servants in heaven, kings in hell" is the way to go.

the best army of the pharaohs album is "the torture papers," mainly because jus allah isn't on it.

celph titled's "gatalog" was very mediocre. plus all the real good songs are on other albums. he's got an album coming out in october called "nineteen ninety now." it's all produced by buckwild with old school beats that DITC didn't use.

HoraceVanBasten
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Probably a bit left field but I'm going for Old Dirty Bastard. I just love his unique style.

martdude16
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
The best Jedi Mind Tricks albums are The first 2. The The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological, And Electro-Magnetic Manipulation Of Human Consciousness, and Violent by Design. All their other albums are good too but those are the best IMO.

'Violent By Design' or 'Servants In Heaven, King In Hell' are my personal favourites...

I love Rugged Man, he's in my top 10 all time (based on Uncommon Valor alone) but Eminem is just stupidly good. The Infinite - The Eminem Show era he was just a fucking beast... Since 'Encore' he hasn't been as good but I still haven't been able to stop listening to 'Recovery' and I got it on release date (before but I bought the hard copy aswell)! I like underground rap and I really don't wanna like the pop/mainstream style Eminem but I just have too. He's my top 3 (along with Pac and Big).

Anyway since my last post this thread has turned great. I was expecting Lil' Wayne, Drake and Tinie Tempah answers for pages and pages. Nice to see people mentioning KRS, Celph Titled, etc...

ThaFireman
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
celph titled's "gatalog" was very mediocre. plus all the real good songs are on other albums. he's got an album coming out in october called "nineteen ninety now." it's all produced by buckwild with old school beats that DITC didn't use.
I listened to the songs from the album on Celph's facebook. Can't wait.

StolenPaper18
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
In my opinion Tech N9ne is one of the greatest rappers of all time. Mac Dre comes in a close second.

agentplatypus
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I love Rugged Man, he's in my top 10 all time (based on Uncommon Valor alone) R.A. is a monster. I just got the Legendary Classics Limited Edition Blood Red Vinyl today. Some real ill songs on it.

KirbyTheAlmighty
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Probably a bit left field but I'm going for Old Dirty Bastard. I just love his unique style.
In my opinion Tech N9ne is one of the greatest rappers of all time. Mac Dre comes in a close second.
Props to both of you.

Mister Buds
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I listened to the songs from the album on Celph's facebook. Can't wait.

haha, now think of us that have been waiting since july. :(

you should check out the album sampler for canibus' upcoming album. probably going to be album of the year.

ThaFireman
09-08-2010, 01:12 AM
haha, now think of us that have been waiting since july. :(

you should check out the album sampler for canibus' upcoming album. probably going to be album of the year.
Eh, I listened to a few songs from his last album and I don't like his style or voice. And the fact that he is trying to hang on to the fact that he beefed with Em STILL. And I don't like him because he beefed with Em and Em slaughtered him cause I've been listening to Cage lately. Good rapper.

Postmodernmartyr
09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Eh, I listened to a few songs from his last album and I don't like his style or voice. And the fact that he is trying to hang on to the fact that he beefed with Em STILL. And I don't like him because he beefed with Em and Em slaughtered him cause I've been listening to Cage lately. Good rapper.

Cage is a very good rapper, Hell's Winter is easily in my top 25 rap records... he and Em had beef in the past too though, but I guess they didn't hold on to it... plus Cage had major reason!

StayonTarget
09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The one that doesn't exist....
I fucking hate all this new rap.

Postmodernmartyr
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
The one that doesn't exist....
I fucking hate all this new rap.

Well then you could have picked someone that wasn't "new rap"
hence the "Of all time"...

Anyways, new rap is my favorite... just not anything that's on MTV or the radio...

ThaFireman
09-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Well then you could have picked someone that wasn't "new rap"
hence the "Of all time"...

Anyways, new rap is my favorite... just not anything that's on MTV or the radio...
Yeah, I love when people saying recent rap is bad when they haven't heard the rap that isn't on the radio.

agentplatypus
09-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I love when people saying recent rap is bad when they haven't heard the rap that isn't on the radio. LOL I know, me too. Just plain ignorance really.

Lizard UK
09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Eminem!

Apart from the obvious record sales. Eminem is the complete package, he's got flow, delivery, punch lines, wordplay, originality, content, metaphors, writing skills, creativity.

His ability to change his vocal pace and style multiple times throughout a song without losing the beat separates him from the rest. His multi-syllable rhyming is basically unmatched, his flow is impeccable, and he can change his tone of voice to demonstrate emotion very well.

His songs vary not only with tone and lyrical approach but also with content. He isn't your typical gangster rapper who raps about guns and money all the time. He has plenty of variety, so a lot of people can relate to his songs. Even people who don't really like/listen to rap like some of his songs. He raps about funny fictional stories, politics, racism, drugs, family problems, hip hop in general, beefs, his failed relationships, his daughter/family, he raps about life etc. What makes him even more of an individual when it comes to his flow, is that the delivery, tone, speed and mannerism of every song can differ. For other artists this might come as an unpleasant change, for him it works.

For me Eminem is the greatest ever, he has clearly left his mark in the hip hop/rap hall of fame.

JAW LV
09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
#1: Old Dirty Bastard- Wu Tang Klan :blunt

itsmehienz
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
The dude from gym class hero's he is the only one i can stand listening to.

Stylish Skills
09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Big L(R.I.P) You need to check him out, Listen to Big L/Jay Z 7minute freestyle n tell me Jiggas a better MC.

illuminatedNO
09-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I could very well get flamed for this but I gotta say Kanye. People hate him, and my God is he an arrogant bastard but I love him. His lyrics are just untouchable imo.

While Notorious, Tupac, etc were great, I can't help but think they're only getting hyped up because of their early demise. Even the same could be same about Alliyah... she wasn't extremely popular at the time she passed, but yet people still talk about her.

StoLavorando
09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
2pac, biggie, get most of their respect now because it actually was the "soundtrack of our lives" growing up.

anyone who can't appreciate ready to die or 2pacalypse now is lacking in hip hop 101 studies.

that being said: RUN-DMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDSK3qmj_lo

live, 83', classic.

Tinysmitty
09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
yes i agree who ever said that Eminem's lyrics are brillent. They so are.

Just Scrap928
09-27-2010, 03:33 AM
The GOAT is obviously a toss-up with Pac and Big but nowdays I would through Guys like NAS and Jay-Z into the Mix.

TAI JASON
11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Eminem and Kanye West

martdude16
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
The dude from gym class hero's he is the only one i can stand listening to.

...Really? To each their own, I guess.

Leak8
11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Cage is a very good rapper, Hell's Winter is easily in my top 25 rap records... he and Em had beef in the past too though, but I guess they didn't hold on to it... plus Cage had major reason!

Cage was dope..... Hells winter was sub par IMO. his new one Depart from me....that was a joke.

Movies for the Blind, Weather Proof were real sick. I love those albums.

My fav album of all time is
Cage and Tame One - Leak Bros - WaterWorld

Where I got my 'leakleak' from. :P

The Cage and Camu Tao Nighthawks album is great too.

Postmodernmartyr
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Cage was dope..... Hells winter was sub par IMO. his new one Depart from me....that was a joke.

Movies for the Blind, Weather Proof were real sick. I love those albums.

My fav album of all time is
Cage and Tame One - Leak Bros - WaterWorld

Where I got my 'leakleak' from. :P

The Cage and Camu Tao Nighthawks album is great too.

It's a matter of preference... I am familiar with all the albums (and side projects) you mentioned, and I like them all, but the two you hate are the two I think are best... Hells Winter obviously being the superior...
Though I get and enjoy Movies For The Blind and others... subject wise, it's just jokey and trying to be shocking... Hell's Winter is honest and amazing... plus all the people that contributed to it like DJ Shadow, RJD2, Yo La Tengo... (and of course a few great El-P beats)

DStyles
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I probably posted in this thread already but fuck it, hands down Jay-Z!

King of Hip Hop

His catalog is up there with the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, B.B. King, etc.

Postmodernmartyr
11-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I probably posted in this thread already but fuck it, hands down Jay-Z!

King of Hip Hop

His catalog is up there with the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, B.B. King, etc.

What a great way of proving he's overrated..

DStyles
12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
so if you appeal to the masses that means you're overrated?

I guess Kanye is also overrated... Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.

Indie/underground is the new c00l?

Pieville
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Theres too many rappers to choose from so I'm just gonna mention some who deserved to be recognized.

Eminem
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Nas
50 Cent

And the future of rap belongs to

Tinie Tempah
B.o.B
Kid CuDi

JuSt BLaZe
12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Man, ain't that obvious...

IT'S DA KING BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!! :bow::rock

YouTube - T.I. - King Back Ft. Just Blaze (King)

Daiphyer.
12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I think everybody knows who's my choice for greatest rapper of all time, but I've got another three in my list:

2. Jay-Z
3. 2Pac
4. Biggie

DStyles
12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Theres too many rappers to choose from so I'm just gonna mention some who deserved to be recognized.

Eminem
Jay-Z
Kanye West
Nas
50 Cent

And the future of rap belongs to

Tinie Tempah
B.o.B
Kid CuDi

I fucking dig that!!! Most of these kids don't think it's "cool" to listen to 50 anymore but imma keep bumping GRODT until I die.

edit: What G-Unit did no other group has done and will never do. Wu-Tang didn't sold records like G-Unit.

ThaFireman
12-04-2010, 05:51 AM
I fucking dig that!!! Most of these kids don't think it's "cool" to listen to 50 anymore but imma keep bumping GRODT until I die.

edit: What G-Unit did no other group has done and will never do. Wu-Tang didn't sold records like G-Unit.
Yes, because everyone knows sales means you are better. Ugh.

Jay-Z is the most overrated rapper. Reasonable Doubt & American Gangster being his only near flawless records. Blueprint isn't the classic everyone credits it to be either. But I don't want to get into an argument with you just because I have a different opinion on Jay-Z so don't start.

martdude16
12-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Jay-Z is the most overrated rapper. Reasonable Doubt & American Gangster being his only near flawless records. Blueprint isn't the classic everyone credits it to be either. But I don't want to get into an argument with you just because I have a different opinion on Jay-Z so don't start.

Blueprint was an incredible album and i'm not a big Jay-Z fan. American Gangster wasn't... that's MY opinion.

Anyway... Mos Def/Pharoahe Monch. Great track.
YouTube - mos def & pharoahe monch feat nate dogg - oh no

DStyles
12-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes, because everyone knows sales means you are better. Ugh.

LMFAO!!! At you calling Jay-Z overrated when the guy in your avatar... well only dropped 2 albums that are worth the listen... SSLP and MMLP.

Anyways, Happy bday to the King of Hip Hop, Mr. Carter.

ThaFireman
12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
LMFAO!!! At you calling Jay-Z overrated when the guy in your avatar... well only dropped 2 albums that are worth the listen... SSLP and MMLP.

Anyways, Happy bday to the King of Hip Hop, Mr. Carter.
Someone hasn't heard "The Eminem Show".

DStyles
12-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I have heard TES and it's one of my 1st hip hop albums I ever purchased but it's the start of Em's decline. The album is not up there with SSLP and MMLP.

I find it pretty stupid that you call Jay-Z overrated when the guy in your avy is arguably the most overrated rapper of all time!

It's like me calling Nas overrated...

martdude16
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I find it pretty stupid that you call Jay-Z overrated when the guy in your avy is arguably the most overrated rapper of all time!

It's all opinion boys, lets not turn this into "beef" (sorry couldn't resist).

I personally think Eminem is great, I think he isn't as 'good' (poor choice of wording) as he used to be, but that is probably to do with the change in the rap/hip-hop industry (even Nas' latest albums have been kind of aimed at mainstream audiences) which isn't to my liking. Em hasn't put out an album that I haven't enjoyed... The Infinite - The Eminem Show era was amazing! Hell I even thought Encore and Relapse were pretty decent.

As I said Jay-Z isn't one of my favourites but I won't complain or disagree when people say he is great or one of the best. Blueprint, The Black Album and Reasonable Doubt are all sick.

So lets agree to disagree!

The only time I have to bite my lip and try not say anything is when people say Soulja Boy is the GOAT.

YouTube - Eminem - Infinite

YouTube - Jay Z-Dead Presidents

DStyles
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't understand why ppl always take shots at Soulja Boy. I actually enjoy his music. Like I have stated before, I'm open minded to all types of music. I used to be one of those close minded idiots who label themselves "hip hop heads". Soulja Boy is hip hop as Nas is hip hop, and Nas last albums were not aimed at the mainstream audience. Have you heard Distant Relatives? That shit does not sound anything like BP3 or Recovery.

Schism
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Nas, mos def, or most rap artist before all this "new" rap came about.

Kanye, 50, lil wayne...are shit compared to the old stuff.
Eminem is alright..just now he is overrated. Use to be "underrated" but he makes a couple songs in cod and becomes a BEAST apparently..i have no problem with him he just pretty much changed his image to be more successful..at least thats the way i see it. Prove me wrong?

DStyles
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I consider Nas and Mos Def new rap...

Pieville
12-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Everyone has their own opinions, I myself have some.

Eminem is one of the greatest rappers of all time, his earlier work including SSLP and MMLP are by far his best albums, Recovery is a great album, only too many kids these days are listening to it so it gets old.

50 Cent is amazing, once again the earlier stuff was better.
Nas is possibly one of the best lyricists out there and is just great.
Kanye West is a great lyricist and rapper, his new album 'My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy' is by far one of the best albums of the year and a great milestone in his career.
Jay-z is one of the best, sure it's hard to understand him but he is actually a great rapper.

These are just some of my opinions, but now I shall share some truth in which we all can believe.

Lil Wayne = Try-Hard

DStyles
12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
If you are trying to say Lil Wayne sucks, that's not a fact. Listen to some of Lil Wayne's old stuff. Listen to Tha Carter II.

Pieville
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
If you are trying to say Lil Wayne sucks, that's not a fact. Listen to some of Lil Wayne's old stuff. Listen to Tha Carter II.

I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying he tries to hard to be the best.
In my opinion he is actually quite good, just half his songs aren't worth listening to. And the Carter II is a good album.

DStyles
12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Oh ok, fair enough then. Yeah that EP or album he just released last month does suck and I hope Tha Carter IV sounds nothing like that. Production wise the album was good for the mixtape circuit but not for an album.

Phoenix Alight
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Don't know about anyone else but for me, one of the best rappers at the moment is Sly Boogy. Totally unheard-of in the UK (as far as I know) besides from his track on NFSU2. Anyways I haven't really heard a track of his that is bad.
Also Ali Vegas is awesome as well

Artful Dodger
12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Jay-Z, Nas & Biggie are my fav's

DStyles
12-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Jay-Z, Nas & Biggie are my fav's
I'm from where we pull your car over and argue all day about who's the best MC, Biigie, Jay-Z, or Nas

Artful Dodger
12-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm from where we pull your car over and argue all day about who's the best MC, Biigie, Jay-Z, or Nas

Have you noticed, all the best rappers are from NYC ?

Even pac was born in New York!

judd90
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Got to say 2pac.

2pac was probably the best because he spoke out through his songs. I also like reading about all the death theories and Illuminati stuff people say about him and his songs.

DStyles
12-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Have you noticed, all the best rappers are from NYC ?

Even pac was born in New York!
No doubt. Hip Hop originated here in NYC.

If you like Wu-Tang then you should check out D.I.T.C.

As far as Pac, he repped the west and his music didn't sound anything like from the east.

Artful Dodger
12-06-2010, 01:38 AM
No doubt. Hip Hop originated here in NYC.

If you like Wu-Tang then you should check out D.I.T.C.

As far as Pac, he repped the west and his music didn't sound anything like from the east.

Pac was wild, a one off :)

Slick Rick also one of my fav's ;)

Diggin In The Crates... Never heard of before, but having a browse through Youtube now, Thanks for the recommendation ..

I recognize one of them from nas's "life's a bitch" but cant remember his name

YouTube - D.I.T.C - Day One

DStyles
12-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Actually the guy from "Life's a Bitch" is AZ. Another great lyricist. He's still active. He just released a 15th anniversary album for his debut "Doe or Die"

IMO he's better than Nas. Both him and Nas worked early in their careers. They went on to form a group called The Firm with Foxy Brown and Nature.

A guy that you may have heard of from D.I.T.C. is Big L and if not him then Fat Joe for sure. Fat Joe most recent stuff is not that good but his early work is.

You may want to check out these albums:

Goodfellas - Showbiz & A.G.
World...life - O.C.
Jewelz - O.C.
Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous - Big L
Funky Technician - Lord Finesse

martdude16
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't understand why ppl always take shots at Soulja Boy. I actually enjoy his music. Like I have stated before, I'm open minded to all types of music. I used to be one of those close minded idiots who label themselves "hip hop heads". Soulja Boy is hip hop as Nas is hip hop, and Nas last albums were not aimed at the mainstream audience. Have you heard Distant Relatives? That shit does not sound anything like BP3 or Recovery.

...because I can rap better than Soulja Boy and I don't rap. Not joking.

Okay then, please go and listen to 'Untitled' (preferrably the song 'Hero' or 'Make the World Go Round') again... then listen to 'Stillmatic' or 'It Was Written' and tell me that it doesn't sound more mainstream. I didn't mean 'Distant Relatives', I don't classify it as his latest album.

Just so you understand, I am not hating on Nas (or the albums, which were great) by the way, he is one of my favourites. I'm just saying that the rap industry has changed so rappers are releasing albums with more mainstream appeal.

Artful Dodger
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks dude, Yeah i Love BIG L .. Ive uploaded some of this songs on Youtube.. Devil's Son was my favorite track

AZ .. That's the guy..

You seem to know alot about Hip Hop... I havent really been into the new'ish stuff, i always go back to Wu-Tang, LL Cool J, Jay-Z, Nas.... Im more into Grime, The UK scene at the momment

RichXbox360
12-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Personally I hate rap music in ALL its forms. OK I admit that 20 years ago I did used to like MC Hammer, and I did like Limp Bizkit's songs "Rollin' and "My Way (Or the Highway)" because they were used in WWE 10 years ago.

If Cher Lloyd wins X Factor this weekend, I will write copious amounts of strongly worded hate mail to Simon Cowell.

DStyles
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks dude, Yeah i Love BIG L .. Ive uploaded some of this songs on Youtube.. Devil's Son was my favorite track

AZ .. That's the guy..

You seem to know alot about Hip Hop... I havent really been into the new'ish stuff, i always go back to Wu-Tang, LL Cool J, Jay-Z, Nas.... Im more into Grime, The UK scene at the momment

Well I love hip hop and it doesn't matters from what era it belongs to. My first hip hop albums were The Eminem Show, Nellyville, and Get Rich or Die Tryin'. I can say I grew up listening to hip hop. As I grew I started to discover the previous phase of hip hop, the wu-tangs and the big daddy kane's.

Enjoy D.I.T.C. :woop:

...because I can rap better than Soulja Boy and I don't rap. Not joking.

Okay then, please go and listen to 'Untitled' (preferrably the song 'Hero' or 'Make the World Go Round') again... then listen to 'Stillmatic' or 'It Was Written' and tell me that it doesn't sound more mainstream. I didn't mean 'Distant Relatives', I don't classify it as his latest album.

Just so you understand, I am not hating on Nas (or the albums, which were great) by the way, he is one of my favourites. I'm just saying that the rap industry has changed so rappers are releasing albums with more mainstream appeal.

whether you rap better than Soulja or not that does not gives you a valid reason to hate on a guy. Ask yourself this: "Wtf has Soulja done to me?" What has he done to you personally for you to hate him. I personally don't like Ke$ha's music but that doesn't mean that I'm going to hate her because she's doing her own thing.

And I can tell clearly that you didn't even payed attention to "Untitled", you're seriously going to call the whole album mainstream because of two songs and one of them has a meaning behind to it. Just so you know "It Was Written" was Nas first approach at mainstream. One last thing, listen to "It's a Big Daddy Thing" Probably one of the first mainstream hip hop albums. So don't give me this bullshit that you're a "hip hop head" and that rappers are now mainstream.

Hip hop is right in my fucking backyard!

Buck a Fuffaloe
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd have to say Eminem. With Tupac and Biggie up there. Kid Cudi is also a good one.

DStyles
12-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Kid Cudi as one of the greatest rapper of all time? FUCK NO!!!

Pieville
12-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd have to say Eminem. With Tupac and Biggie up there. Kid Cudi is also a good one.

I've been listening to Kid Cudi a lot lately and I gotta say I love his stuff, he has his own style that works great and he is turning into quite a good rapper.

martdude16
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I've been listening to Kid Cudi a lot lately and I gotta say I love his stuff, he has his own style that works great and he is turning into quite a good rapper.

His first album was great, i'm getting his second for Christmas... I heard it isn't as good but it's still pretty solid.

whether you rap better than Soulja or not that does not gives you a valid reason to hate on a guy. Ask yourself this: "Wtf has Soulja done to me?" What has he done to you personally for you to hate him. I personally don't like Ke$ha's music but that doesn't mean that I'm going to hate her because she's doing her own thing.

And I can tell clearly that you didn't even payed attention to "Untitled", you're seriously going to call the whole album mainstream because of two songs and one of them has a meaning behind to it. Just so you know "It Was Written" was Nas first approach at mainstream. One last thing, listen to "It's a Big Daddy Thing" Probably one of the first mainstream hip hop albums. So don't give me this bullshit that you're a "hip hop head" and that rappers are now mainstream.

Hip hop is right in my fucking backyard!

I never said I hated Soulja Boy, I dislike him. So stop putting words in my mouth. I'll give an opinion on what I want. A couple of posts above you have a go at a guy for saying Kid Cudi is the best rapper, it's his opinion so STFU.

I never said i'm a "hip hop head", but I love hip hop. I said that Untitled had mainstream appeal, it does - never hated on it (I like the album) and never said it was completely mainstream, just that it is trying to appeal to the mainstream audience aswell as his faithful fans.

You are an asshole, you obviously think your opinion is the only one that matters and think you know rap/hip-hop better than everyone else, whether you do or not... do everyone a favour and STFU you complete and utter twat.

YEAH "I MAD".

DStyles
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Nas has been trying to appeal to the mainstream media for a while now so why the fuck does it surprises you that Untitled sounds mainstream to you.

Go back and listen to "It Was Written", Nas first approach at mainstream.

martdude16
12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Nas has been trying to appeal to the mainstream media for a while now so why the fuck does it surprises you that Untitled sounds mainstream to you.

Go back and listen to "It Was Written", Nas first approach at mainstream.

Again I never said I was suprised that he is trying to appeal to the mainstream, you sure like putting words into peoples mouths don't you. I used 'Untitled' as an example by the way, I could have used a different LP but I didn't.

...and no I don't need to listen to it again, i've listened to that album enough over the years.

marlo2123
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
cmon no more Eminem, biggie, 2pac. Too over rated and overplayed.
I mean sure they had great songs but theres a shitload amount of old rappers out there that were much more amazing

SnlpEr ls NaStY
12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
The old Mobb Deep from the 90s. All rap from the 90s was the best ever everything else after that fucking sucks.