PDA

View Full Version : The Collector (The Strangers meets Saw)

The Pants Party
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I rented this on a whim and ended up rather liking it. It takes the idea of The Strangers (man holds a family captive in their own home), then adds in extreme gore as seen in Saw (sets up traps and the like) and lets the mixture loose.

The family was having some work done on their house and one of the workers was using that as a cover to case it and steal some big ass diamond they have in their safe. He picks that same night to try and steal it, then attempts to get out and save them as well.

Was not expecting much, but it was pretty cool.

YouTube- 'The Collector' Trailer HD

Tussell
03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I've been wanting to see this. My friend, who works in a theater, has a HUGE poster for it. It would take up like an entire wall of a house. Ever since I saw that poster, and heard what it's about, I've been dying to see it.

Hopefully it doesn't take the SAW portion, and include how terrible the films are too. :p

A ZombieTwinkie
03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
I was wanting to check this out when it came to theaters. I was rather intrigued. Though I completely forgot about it. Going to have to rent it when I get a chance.

Truc3
03-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I've seen both movies you referred to so I'll definitely have to check this out on Netflix. Are there moral tests involved though (like how Jigsaw tries to teach a lesson)?

Skillet
03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
I always seem to enjoy "bad guy turned good guy in perilous situations" stories. I'll be sure to give this a look when I have a couple hours to kill.

The Pants Party
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I've seen both movies you referred to so I'll definitely have to check this out on Netflix. Are there moral tests involved though (like how Jigsaw tries to teach a lesson)?

Nah, this dude is just a crazy son of a bitch who likes to "collect" people (you see a small bit of his previous work at a different house in the first scene) and the ones that he doesn't want (for whatever reason) he kills. :p

Tussell, I actually thought of you immediately when I saw this, not only for the horror aspect, but the similarity to The Strangers which I know you liked.

Tyger7
03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
It's a great movie, saw it in theatre and had no regrets.

rvlution
03-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Seems interesting. I haven't seen the Strangers either but they both sound pretty cool.

Burning Karma
03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah, I remember when this come out and wanting to see it. I had forgotten about it until now. And now, knowing that it is a good film, my desire to see it has came back. Thanks for the heads up, Pants.

ApochWeiss
03-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I rented this on a whim and ended up rather liking it. It takes the idea of The Strangers (man holds a family captive in their own home), then adds in extreme gore as seen in Saw (sets up traps and the like) and lets the mixture loose.

The family was having some work done on their house and one of the workers was using that as a cover to case it and steal some big ass diamond they have in their safe. He picks that same night to try and steal it, then attempts to get out and save them as well.

Was not expecting much, but it was pretty cool.

YouTube- 'The Collector' Trailer HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTzqaNs-J3s)

Why the hell is it that almost any gorefest involving robbers ends up he's trying to steal something that no normal family would have and NOBODY who watches the flick could relate to? Now if he were to case it for money they had hidden, awesome. But a giant diamond in a safe? Gold bars I could buy. But that? No...

I'll probably rent it whenever I get some cash. I owe too many people...

Tussell
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Tussell, I actually thought of you immediately when I saw this, not only for the horror aspect, but the similarity to The Strangers which I know you liked.
Awww, you cutie!

X monkfish69 X
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Me and my Mrs loved this film ! It's all the better for Madeline Zima getting her you-know-whats out as well.

Call me shallow, I don't care. She has a lovely pair !
That rhymed as well which is a bonus ! :p

The Pants Party
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
She also gets naked in the show Californication, and punches David Duchovny in the face while on top of him. :p

Nozza XBA
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
She also gets naked in the show Californication, and punches David Duchovny in the face while on top of him. :p

I wasnt even going to post on this thread until I saw this^ lol

I gotta watch this and that^ now.. *Runs to Blockbuster*

Iconoclast
03-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Sounds interesting...I didn't really like The Strangers, and I can't say the last 3 Saw movies have been any good, but I did like the first 3. Sounds like a worthwhile download at any rate, but not something I'd pay to see. Too many weird movies these days.

Tussell
03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Man, the money I'd pay to punch David Duchovny. :p

HarperBird
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
This film sounds a lot like Funny Games (US Version), cause that was one messed up/awesome/gorey movie!!

But I will definately check this out but really a fan of the whole Saw saga..

Man, the money I'd pay to punch David Duchovny. :p

Whats wrong with David Duchovny he's awesome in both X-files and Californication

Tussell
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
This film sounds a lot like Funny Games (US Version), cause that was one messed up/awesome/gorey movie!!

But I will definately check this out but really a fan of the whole Saw saga..

Whats wrong with David Duchovny he's awesome in both X-files and Californication
The stuff he's in is interesting, but I just don't like him. Never have. I don't feel as though he fits any of his roles.

The Pants Party
03-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I love Duchovny! It's probably not really something you'd enjoy, but he was excellent in House of D.