PDA

View Full Version : Why the game packs are free...

Joey Longshot
03-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Alright, everybody seems to be angry that the game packs said free, but they still have to buy the games. This is why... by downloading the game packs, your x-box actually downloads the games, but leaves them locked. This allows you to demo the game without having to download each one individually. It's the same concept behind downloading a trial version of a game, and then when you download the full game, it doesn't take any time at all.

UCB Disco
03-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Hahaha. You don't know how many times I kept defending this game online to my friends, because they were thinking the same thing. "The game packs said FREE!" Yeah. But Microsoft also said they would cost 240MSP each.

When will people realize that you can't get everything for free? :)

Kooky Cow 32
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I just hate the fact that it says "free" so I downloaded it thinking maybe some were free and others you had to buy that were coming later (... I hadn't heard anything bout Microsoft saying they would cost 240msp each) then by the time you are in the Game Room and realise you have to pay for all of them, you already have an achievement for 5G and there goes your completion percentage :(

Schloob
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Personally I did KNOW that the games for the GameRoom were going to cost 240MSP when this came out. So when I went to download this on the launch dey I was suprised when it had the Game Packs there and it stated "FREE". I did think that we were all of a sudden getting these initial games for free. And based on the initial games that did come out most of them should have been at most a $1 especially a game like say Combat :) Because no where did it say, download this "FREE" pack of the games from which point you would then be able to buy the actual full games individually.

I ask you to answer the following, did you know before this came out that this is how they were going to provide these on the Marketplace, as far as having a "pack" of these games that you had to download and THEN from there you would buy the "FULL" actual games. I personally thought it was going to be the same old way where I would have the individual games listed and then you would click on the ones that you wanted to get. I mean seriously why would someone think any differently? So at least in my opinion it was VERY misleading on Microsoft's part on how they had it on the Marketplace.

Because while you say this:

"It's the same concept behind downloading a trial version of a game, and then when you download the full game, it doesn't take any time at all."

Sure it is the same concept, but it is not how it was at all represented. It did not say "Download free trial of game pack" and then another option "Buy game pack" like it does say with the normal games on the Marketplace.

In no way am I angry at Microsoft for this since I did figure I would have to pay for games, but they should have stated somewhere that it was going to be different then in the past of how the initial "purchase" or acquiring steps to get the individual games would be so as to avoid any confusion from people.

UCB Disco
03-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Sure it is the same concept, but it is not how it was at all represented. It did not say "Download free trial of game pack" and then another option "Buy game pack" like it does say with the normal games on the Marketplace.

In no way am I angry at Microsoft for this since I did figure I would have to pay for games, but they should have stated somewhere that it was going to be different then in the past of how the initial "purchase" or acquiring steps to get the individual games would be so as to avoid any confusion from people.

It did not need to say "Download Trial Versions of Games", because you wouldn't be able to play the games at all if you didn't download the packs. It's like downloading Hasbro's Family Game Night, which is free, but you have to purchase the actual games that are included in the "free"-based game (Which only serves as a cell).

Think of how annoying it would be to demo games without downloading the Game Packs. You would have to download about 1-3MBs at a time, and with that in mind, your hard drive will just have a bunch of tiny game files cluttering up the place. It's a lot easier just having a Game Pack with all the games on there, so you can test them, one-time play them (40MSP), or buy them (240MSP) on the fly. Also, if you don't have the Game Packs, you can't go to your friend's arcades and see the games they purchased, because they wouldn't be on your hard drive.

It really isn't that hard to understand. It's just how the system is going to have to work, since this is going to be a very large series of games.

Schloob
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
It did not need to say "Download Trial Versions of Games", because you wouldn't be able to play the games at all if you didn't download the packs. It's like downloading Hasbro's Family Game Night, which is free, but you have to purchase the actual games that are included in the "free"-based game (Which only serves as a cell).

Think of how annoying it would be to demo games without downloading the Game Packs. You would have to download about 1-3MBs at a time, and with that in mind, your hard drive will just have a bunch of tiny game files cluttering up the place. It's a lot easier just having a Game Pack with all the games on there, so you can test them, one-time play them (40MSP), or buy them (240MSP) on the fly. Also, if you don't have the Game Packs, you can't go to your friend's arcades and see the games they purchased, because they wouldn't be on your hard drive.

It really isn't that hard to understand. It's just how the system is going to have to work, since this is going to be a very large series of games.

"Did not need to say"

That's simply your opinion and you list I would imagine what the 1 example out of the entire XBLA store that is like this in Hasbro's Family Game Night. Also if it "did not need to say" like you feel then why is it causing so many other's confusion? I do understand why they are doing it, and also I never said that it was hard to understand just that it is easy to see how others would misunderstand.

"Think of how annoying it would be to demo games without downloading the Game Packs."

Really? We do it all the time in the XBLA,and out of all the games that came out with GameRoom I only purchased 2 and only felt the need to demo 3 other's. I had/have no need for the othe 10+ games that came with these "packs".

And my OPINION is still that it was indeed misleading, whether or not you agree is obviously your opinion and it does not make anyone right or wrong in the matter. Sure this is how the system will work, but the simple fact is that they did not state that is how it would be implemented. IF they had said that "packs" of games would need to be downloaded in order to then download individual games then all the confusion it seems many have would have been avoided.

Joey Longshot
03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Schloob, you are right, they were misleading. I thought i was going to get free games also, but I didn't get angry about it, because I was expecting to pay 240mp for them anyways.

The main reason I posted this was because I've heard so many people say the game sucks because they have to pay for it, and I don't think you say anything bad about the quality of the game if you haven't even played it. You know?

As for the price, if a game is worth 1000 gamerscore, you should probably expect to pay for it. And if your good at the games, you can probably get all the achievements for less than $80 worth of microsoft points. For the same price, you could get a new retail game and maybe a dlc.

linktriforce007
03-28-2010, 01:57 AM
aight aight aight. I was likea nother guy, who knew that there'd be a cost of 240, but I figured that the opening day ones would be free, like a test pack sort of thing.

As for nothing is free, ever hear of Aegis Wing and Totemball for 360 and Tinker for PC? ;)

REN3GADE
03-28-2010, 06:47 AM
As for nothing is free, ever hear of Aegis Wing and Totemball for 360 and Tinker for PC? ;)

Well said.

Or Hexic HD? Or Yaris? Or Texas Hold 'Em for its release week?

I also knew that each game was going to be priced at 240 MSP (which is WAY too much for these titles IMO) but was fooled by the 'Free' title next to the packs in hopes MS had outdone themselves and given us something to make up for disappointment that many had with GR itself.

Joey Longshot
03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I also knew that each game was going to be priced at 240 MSP (which is WAY too much for these titles IMO) but was fooled by the 'Free' title next to the packs in hopes MS had outdone themselves and given us something to make up for disappointment that many had with GR itself.

Personally, I don't think 3 bucks is too much for a game. Especially not when a map pack nowadays costs 15 bucks... I'm looking at you Activision.

EA Shenron
03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
same for me : it was written "this game pack includes 8 arcade games" so I thought this were the full version not only trials as it was not written "this game pack includes trial version of 8 arcade games".
I should have noticed that it was not written "this game pack includes FULL VERSION of 8 arcade games".
You can be sure I will look at it twice next time I'm about to download something.

One more thing, I "love" the achievement popping for jsust entering your own room and ruining you completion percentage
achievement unlocked = cannot erase from gamertag list. Very clever MS, a lot of achievement addicts will then buy overpriced games just to see their completion percentage go back where it was before entering this stupid room.

UCB Disco
03-29-2010, 08:20 AM
"Did not need to say"

That's simply your opinion and you list I would imagine what the 1 example out of the entire XBLA store that is like this in Hasbro's Family Game Night. Also if it "did not need to say" like you feel then why is it causing so many other's confusion? I do understand why they are doing it, and also I never said that it was hard to understand just that it is easy to see how others would misunderstand.

"Think of how annoying it would be to demo games without downloading the Game Packs."

Really? We do it all the time in the XBLA,and out of all the games that came out with GameRoom I only purchased 2 and only felt the need to demo 3 other's. I had/have no need for the othe 10+ games that came with these "packs".

And my OPINION is still that it was indeed misleading, whether or not you agree is obviously your opinion and it does not make anyone right or wrong in the matter. Sure this is how the system will work, but the simple fact is that they did not state that is how it would be implemented. IF they had said that "packs" of games would need to be downloaded in order to then download individual games then all the confusion it seems many have would have been avoided.

Okay. Seriously. If at one moment you thought Microsoft was going to give you a load of free games on a product that they highly advertised as being a part of there Block Party promotion as well as a highlight at a couple different gaming events, I'm sorry I wrote that they "Didn't need to say" that you would have to pay for the games... outside the fact that they did say you need to pay for them on numerous occasions. And if you are on x360a enough, the news section even mentioned this more than once.

As for downloading demos, I download one once a week at the most, depending on what is available on the marketplace. With Game Room, I would have to download up to 7 games a week to demo all of them. The Game Pack just puts them all together in a small download (Since they are all 1MB or less anyway), so I can test them all together. It's simple. Again, because it's the only other example on the Arcade, Family Game Night allows you to download the entire list of games so you can demo each game before downloading. It's actually a great way to get people to try games they wouldn't otherwise attempt.

Game Room is actually a fantastic product, and one of the best in the Arcade, to be honest. Not only am I getting the chance to play genuine classics once again, but I get to do it in "my own arcade", where my friend's can come spend their tokens in and compete in challenges with me. The Leaderboards alone is was sold me on this game. Any other Arcade game on the marketplace has one leaderboard. Game Room has numerous, and many more as the weeks progress.

I'm not ashamed at all that I've spent about 800MSP so far, and when other games come out, you bet I'll be getting more.

[Waggly Bean]
03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
One more thing, I "love" the achievement popping for jsust entering your own room and ruining you completion percentage
achievement unlocked = cannot erase from gamertag list. Very clever MS, a lot of achievement addicts will then buy overpriced games just to see their completion percentage go back where it was before entering this stupid room.

I actually do love this. It makes me laugh at people who care that much... :D

Anyway, back on topic the packs were misleading. I knew they were 240MSP a game, but when I saw 'free' I thought perhaps MS screwed up. It's happened before with other things. The game packs should really say 'Trial' on them to clear that up, because until you part with 240MSP, that's essentially what they are...

OneSweetShannon
03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I wasn't surprised by this, it's how Family Game Night works. They've been saying all along that games are 240/400 pts apiece and that you have to pay to play, even though the "room" part of Gameroom is free. I do think they could have been more explicit in the description on the dashboard, because not everyone reads every announcement or listens to Major Nelson's podcast, etc. At the same time, I don't think people should be as up in arms about this as some are.

The more I play, the more I think the 240 pricepoint is actually a bargain. I grew up when arcades were in their heyday, when plays were $0.25-$0.50, and now I think they're $1 or more each play. Spending $3 for unlimited plays is cheap really. (haha, I've spent about 4 hours on Finalizer alone, which would be this week's grocery budget if I had to pay the going rate!) That is, it's cheap if you want to play the games in the first place. If you're playing because you enjoy the oldschool games, then you probably agree that $3 is a bargain. If you're playing for points, probably not so much. (But then, if you're only playing for points, then I recommend completionists don't do it -- this could be an excruciating 1000 if you don't have fun playing the games themselves.)

UCB Disco
03-29-2010, 03:49 PM
I wasn't surprised by this, it's how Family Game Night works. They've been saying all along that games are 240/400 pts apiece and that you have to pay to play, even though the "room" part of Gameroom is free. I do think they could have been more explicit in the description on the dashboard, because not everyone reads every announcement or listens to Major Nelson's podcast, etc. At the same time, I don't think people should be as up in arms about this as some are.

The more I play, the more I think the 240 pricepoint is actually a bargain. I grew up when arcades were in their heyday, when plays were $0.25-$0.50, and now I think they're $1 or more each play. Spending $3 for unlimited plays is cheap really. (haha, I've spent about 4 hours on Finalizer alone, which would be this week's grocery budget if I had to pay the going rate!) That is, it's cheap if you want to play the games in the first place. If you're playing because you enjoy the oldschool games, then you probably agree that $3 is a bargain. If you're playing for points, probably not so much. (But then, if you're only playing for points, then I recommend completionists don't do it -- this could be an excruciating 1000 if you don't have fun playing the games themselves.)

You ain't kiddin'. I've already spent WAY too much time in my Arcade. Between demoing each game, buying a few cabinets, customizing my arcade, and then playing games like Shao Lin's Road for over 2 hours alone. If Game Room puts out at least one good game every week for the next year, I'm screwed. hahaha.

Joey Longshot
03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I "love" the achievement popping for jsust entering your own room and ruining you completion percentage

Complain about the fact that you got an achievement all you want, but if you're willing to spend some money on this game, you'll realize that it's an amazing concept. I won't be surprised if I'm playing Game Room long after I get 1000 gamerscore in it.