PDA

View Full Version : Emulation quality is horrible! :(

fangorn
03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't know why everyone just keep talking about prices and ignore biggest problem of game room - quality of emulation. I purchased Centipede and Finalizer and both games have random stuttering issues and i'm sure its not a problem of my console. Looks like they didn't even test this thing. :(

TwinTipZ
03-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I have centipede and the emulation is perfect. Better then MAME dare I say.

halfiepint
03-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I second that, Astrosmash is perfectly emulated, you can even use the number pad if you pull it up on screen.

Beau Coup Dinky Dau
03-27-2010, 07:36 PM
I think the emulation is hit and miss. Some are good and some are not. Try before you buy.

KNIGHTOFSERA
03-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I havent had any problems with finalizer, cant say anything on the whole as its the only one I bought, but when I played the demos they seemed fine to me

fangorn
03-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Sorry guys, but you must be blind if you can't see emulation problems. Hell... you don't even need to see it cause you can hear when sound get distorted because of emulation hiccups.

Joey Longshot
03-28-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't know why everyone just keep talking about prices and ignore biggest problem of game room - quality of emulation. I purchased Centipede and Finalizer and both games have random stuttering issues and i'm sure its not a problem of my console. Looks like they didn't even test this thing. :(

Most people are complaining about the price and not the game, because not a lot of people have actually paid to play a game on it... it's sad really...

D4RKXPOW3R
03-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Sorry guys, but you must be blind if you can't see emulation problems. Hell... you don't even need to see it cause you can hear when sound get distorted because of emulation hiccups.

I have 16+ hours logged already on almost 20 different games, and I fail to understand what your talking about. It all looks and sounds great, and aside from the Game Room freezing issue, I have no problems with any of it.

fangorn
03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, in such case, i guess you just don't know how it must sound and play.

Dragonlightning
03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry but im another happy customer. Apart from the hiccup when you unlock an achievement everything has been fine. Maybe you need to delete and redownload game room and the game packs or something.

Beau Coup Dinky Dau
03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, in such case, i guess you just don't know how it must sound and play.

Dude, there's no reason to troll just because someone disagrees with you. Be different, be original--separate yourself from the masses of ignorant hate mongers on the net: Try saying something constructive and useful rather than just dealing out cheap insults.

Beau Coup Dinky Dau
03-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Centipede runs flawlessly for me.

fangorn
03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Dude, there's no reason to troll just because someone disagrees with you. Be different, be original--separate yourself from the masses of ignorant hate mongers on the net: Try saying something constructive and useful rather than just dealing out cheap insults.

Excuse me? Did you even try to read my post first?

I have Centipede and I get numerous hiccups. Nearly every time a scorpion is about to appear the game will freeze for a half a second or so and make a buzzer sound. It also happens unrelated to the scorpion so I'm not sure what is causing it.

Unless this was in the original and I've forgotten about it, I wouldn't be calling this perfect.

That's what i'm talking about. And no, it wasn't in the original game.

D4RKXPOW3R
03-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Ok so I have witnessed the same little hiccup in centipede...In my hour or so of playing that game, it happened maybe 5 times. it sounds as if the whole game slows down almost to a freeze (like how the system just freezes at times) but quickly recovers....this is also the only game I have experienced it in, and its possible that its related to this freeze epidemic...
:grab

LamentingJam
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I have Finalizer and Centipede too. I notice the stutter in both. I dunno, I remember there being stutters and pauses like that in a lot of old games, where it's taxing the processor. If these are to be legitimate emulations, then that should be intact. Regardless, I find neither freezing to affect my gameplay.

BIGeYes
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
emulation is absolutely horrible. especially finalizer!
the scrolling is far from smooth. and this is from start to end. not every now and then or whatever. its a problem every emu has. the original machines framerate +the new machines fr +the fr of that odd screen the user has makes it never run 100%smooth. thats the same reason why there isnt any perfect emu for whatever machine to this date.
you can hear that. listen to the music. those synths shouldnt be distorted at all! you can reset the machine a few times and get some synced seconds. its such a difference.
my pc can run all mame supported titles, but its no comparison to my original pcbs. not in any way
oh, and for the "hiccups". these are clearly porting fails

cheers

Van Dayyyyum
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I've clocked in 4 hours with Centipede and I haven't experienced any problems. Hell, I wish those f***ing scorpions would freeze. Would make life a lot easier.

Alypso
03-30-2010, 07:35 AM
i'hvave bought all games, but millipede and all games with only 1 medal.

i'have stuttering in ALL games. and mostly after i finished a game with a new highscore the server is not available to record that.

Blogustus
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Depends on the game, but yeah, some of the emulation is absolutely sloppy on Crystal Castle, Road Fighter, Finalizer etc...They all have bad freezing and pauses, stutters not present in the original arcades. I haven't noticed problems with Red Baron but maybe I'm just not familiar with the game.

You'd think the 360 would have the horsepower to run these full speed without stutters...Maybe they will fix the issues, but I don't believe it's very likely.

For me, this is a waaay bigger problem than the usual complains (game selection, price)

Searmex
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The prices are crap. Really all the Xbox Live stuff is way too much money. Now they're gonna hike up the price of monthly payments too. Great job Microsoft. You should at least get some free shit for paying so much money.

sweatdog
09-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I've had Centipede since it was first released, and I haven't experienced any lags or hiccups specific to this game (other than the pause when earning an achievement, or the occasional freezing that occurs with any game- and this is a big problem worth complaining about.) I suspect the original poster and others experiencing problems with this game specifically are either misinterpreting general Game Room glitches, or for some reason the game performs differently for you due to either your console, or a specific issue to your internet connection. Honestly, Centipede has been one of the more enjoyable games here, which is a bit surprising since I was afraid converting the controls from the original trackball would make the game unplayable.

Gottle
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Emulation quality is horrible. It can be good, but it sometimes freeze for half a second, or slow down. You have to be lucky to notice not. And when an emulator requires luky to emulate flawlessy, it 's a bad emulator.

This is not a bug of a specific game, it happens with a plenty of games in the room.