PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Spotting Scope

a sea lion
03-27-2010, 04:53 PM
If you have the sniper spotting scope selected is it used automatically or is there a special way to use it?

qu1ck2sh00t
03-27-2010, 04:58 PM
When you have it equipped just press the BACK button. Just like if you were to spot someone.

Daggra
03-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Also, sometimes, if you just leave the crosshairs over an enemy for about 2-3 seconds it spots them automatically. However, the spot limit still applies, you can't spam-spot everyone on the other team.

defiant4eva
03-27-2010, 05:32 PM
personally I think it is easier just to push back, rather than waste a perk on using the sniper spotting scope.

Ry8an25oliver93
03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
When you have it equipped just press the BACK button. Just like if you were to spot someone.
You don't need the Spotting Scope to spot people when using a Sniper, the Spotting Scope just spots people without having to press back. In my opinion it's a waste and is for people who are too lazy to press back while sniping.

PHIL 421
03-27-2010, 05:41 PM
You just get them in your sights and it'll highlight them but there's a drawback because that means an easy kill may be stolen by a teammate because your mark is highlighted for everyone.

iBlessing 09
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes it's used automatically.

Daggra
03-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Hmm, when I use it, I find that you can spot people instantly by hitting the back button. Otherwise, without it, you have to kind of leave your scope directly on him for 2-3 seconds before you can spot him. I think it works both ways, both automatically, and easier manually. Also, spotting is useful for say, an enemy far away that you know you can't snipe, but you have a teammate who's up there. This is a team game, not "OMG YOU STOLE MY KILL." Spotting really helps, and I think that not enough people spot in general. Plus, that extra 20 points always feels good haha

PHIL 421
03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Hmm, when I use it, I find that you can spot people instantly by hitting the back button. Otherwise, without it, you have to kind of leave your scope directly on him for 2-3 seconds before you can spot him. I think it works both ways, both automatically, and easier manually. Also, spotting is useful for say, an enemy far away that you know you can't snipe, but you have a teammate who's up there. This is a team game, not "OMG YOU STOLE MY KILL." Spotting really helps, and I think that not enough people spot in general. Plus, that extra 20 points always feels good haha
I know it's a team game and I've spotted people for teammates by highlighting them then turning to another person without firing a shot and have gotten quite a few spot assists. I'm just saying you can have your crosshairs right on their head and fire the shot only to find out you fired a split second too late. Also the auto spot is weird for me one time it'll highlight them almost immediately others it'll take a few seconds like you said. One method that has worked pretty good for me for getting a bunch of xp is sit next to another sniper in your squad and as you highlight enemies both of you fire then if it isn't a kill for you, you still get squad assist in both spotting and kill assists.

Daggra
03-27-2010, 06:04 PM
I know it's a team game and I've spotted people for teammates by highlighting them then turning to another person without firing a shot and have gotten quite a few spot assists. I'm just saying you can have your crosshairs right on their head and fire the shot only to find out you fired a split second too late. Also the auto spot is weird for me one time it'll highlight them almost immediately others it'll take a few seconds like you said.

haha, sorry, I kind of misinterpreted your first post as something like "why spot when you can get the kill yourself?" But yeah, I see what you mean. I spot religiously, it also really helps me too, when firing automatic weapons from long range. Sometimes, I can get a kill with a LMG just by firing at that little red dot without seeing the actual person, haha.

PHIL 421
03-27-2010, 06:14 PM
haha, sorry, I kind of misinterpreted your first post as something like "why spot when you can get the kill yourself?" But yeah, I see what you mean. I spot religiously, it also really helps me too, when firing automatic weapons from long range. Sometimes, I can get a kill with a LMG just by firing at that little red dot without seeing the actual person, haha.
And it's smart for a sniper to put that perk on because I don't even want to know how many times I've had someone in my crosshairs and they run into a building or get behind cover. At least with that perk your teammates can get an idea of where an enemy is headed or hiding. Plus seeing as you can't take the shot anyway why not make it easier for your team. That perk is entirely a team perk and I use it all the time.

CyDen
03-27-2010, 10:54 PM
It is hugely useful for your team mates and I personally love it when people actually mark the enemy. If nothing else it lets you get an idea of where they are making a push.

Like Daggra I have gotten a fair number of kills for firing my LMG at the little red dots in the trees. Also if you spawn in a heli in the back and not on a gun you can spot people for your mate to good effect. Better to have them clear it all out before you parachute in to do some C4 damage.

d00gler
03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I always try to mark enemies with BACK so I can get some extra points if someone else kills the enemy. A 30 point kill assist turns into a 50 with the spot.

xD12xSTicKNasTY
03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
I found this useful on maps like Laguna Presa where there is alot of woods and trees. Once I heard and enemy sniping to the left of me in the weeds and couldn't see him, but I put my spotter scope over in the weeds and slowely scanned and my player character said something like "We've got and enemy sniper here" and I found him and killed him. It's very useful in certains modes and maps, others, not so much.

SatNiteEduardo
03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
People talking about manual operation of the spotting scope try pressing back without the spotting scope. Surprise, surprise. When you press back you are NOT using the spotting scope. Its because you have 4 or 5 enemies in your 12x scope when you press back that you spot them all. Its got nothing to do with the spotting scope.

stoneskin rebo
03-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I thought the spotting scope was nice, it spotted a ton of people instantly as I aimed and I kept getting a ton of spot assists on that one level with the tanks attacking the base > buildings > train yard > construction area level. Although i will say that i also had a lot of kills stolen from me by using that scope, after i got the next scope i moved on.

iBlessing 09
03-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I played on game and I had the best sniper I've ever seen on my team. I would spot somebody and before I could even shoot the sniper would have killed him. It was annoying but funny.