PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Americans is a Monster Comedy

Who Is Teddy
03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
On Comedy Central ; new episodes air wednesday after southpark,

Set in an alternate reality version of New York that owes a whole lot to Charles Burns graphic novel Black Hole, and a little to Brendon Small's Metalocalypse, Hell has quite literally come to Earth. Terrifying monstrosities exist side by side with regular humans - who are often even more messed up than their five-eyed counterparts

Standing between them is Regular Joe social services worker Mark Lilly (voiced by Matt Oberg), who is trying to balance the demands of his job, a budding relationship with his Succubus boss, and a needy zombie roommate.

In the first episode, Mark butts heads with Lt. Grimes, a hard-as-nails immigration officer looking to deport various squid monsters and zombies before Mark can effectively integrate them into society.

What makes this so good? First off is the over-packed visuals that reward repeat viewing. From a giant walking baby in the background, to beached land-whales, to blink-and-you-miss-it fake ads, this has all the hallmarks of great series like Futurama and The Simpsons that are as good on second viewing as they are the first.

http://www.theapiary.org/storage/Ugly-Americans.jpg

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=256765&title=the-demon-chick

You know that time when you've just moved to the city, and you take the first apartment you find on CraigsList with some dude you never expected?

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=266853&title=fun-bags

Callie confronts Mark and accuses him of picking up girls in a bar the night after they slept together.

Sample the first episode :D

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=267642&title=christ-angel

An audience volunteer helps superstar magician Christ Angel with an elaborate card trick.

Sample teh second episode :D

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=268312&title=preview-three-hole

Callie introduces Mark to her "three hole" while they're in the shower.

Check out the third episode before it airs this Wednesday :)

Tussell
03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I absolutely love this show. Easily one of the best animated sitcoms ever. Way better than South Park and Family Guy.

rvlution
03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Anybody know if it's On Demand? I might try it and see if it's any good.

Massa Siggy
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I've wanted to see this but I miss it whenever it's on. It looks much better than South Park, like Tussell said. It kinda reminds me of Futurama, so I'm thinking I'll like it.

laundryman
03-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I saw the first episode and thought it was pretty funny. I thought the animations were a bit sloppy though. It is enjoyable though.

A ZombieTwinkie
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Crap! Forgot this show already premiered. Going to have to check it out. From what I've seen, it looks really good.

Burning Karma
03-28-2010, 04:57 AM
I absolutely love this show. Easily one of the best animated sitcoms ever. Way better than South Park and Family Guy.
We could not disagree more. I found it absolutely boring as shit. I watched the entire premiere and laughed maybe one time. Maybe.

Tussell
03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
We could not disagree more. I found it absolutely boring as shit. I watched the entire premiere and laughed maybe one time. Maybe.
I don't know man... I think you're mental! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(

Burning Karma
03-29-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't know man... I think you're mental! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(
I think you're the mental one. I think.
:(

Discofrog
03-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Not too bad, only really watch because it's on after South Park. If it was on at another time I probably wouldn't watch it.

BarbaricGoose
03-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I watched the first 15 minutes of the premiere, and I was just not laughing at all so I gave up on it. Thing is, I was expecting to really enjoy it, as it looks a lot like Super Jail - Which I dig. I don't know if the two have anything in common at all, but the animation looks similar, so I thought they might.

I may give it another shot if I'm desperate enough.

tha skarekrow
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
this show has made me watch comedy central for the first time in about 5 years.

Tussell
03-30-2010, 09:06 PM
this show has made me watch comedy central for the first time in about 5 years.
That's sad, there's so many more reasons to watch it!

Massa Siggy
03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I watched the first 15 minutes of the premiere, and I was just not laughing at all so I gave up on it. Thing is, I was expecting to really enjoy it, as it looks a lot like Super Jail - Which I dig. I don't know if the two have anything in common at all, but the animation looks similar, so I thought they might.

My sentiments exactly. I thought it would be as funny as SuperJail, although not as gory.

But it didn't even really make me laugh but once or twice. I was disappointed.

Tussell
03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
All you haters are mental! :p

Starstrukk X360A
03-31-2010, 12:58 AM
I can't get into it.
It just isn't funny.

And I already know I'm mental, Tussell. :]

Burning Karma
03-31-2010, 02:08 AM

My sentiments exactly. I thought it would be as funny as SuperJail, although not as gory.

But it didn't even really make me laugh but once or twice. I was disappointed.
You two make me happy. I remember the first time I watched Superjail!. I was like, "What the fuck am I watching...." *keeps on watching*
That right there is a great show.

Tussell
03-31-2010, 02:09 AM
I'm glad to see a lot of SuperJail fans. It's an amazing show!

Burning Karma
03-31-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm glad to see a lot of SuperJail fans. It's an amazing show!
Much much much better than Ugly Americans. :p

Who Is Teddy
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Its a dry sense of humor, lighten up and learn to laugh a bit. For those of out there who didn't like it then Super Jail is not for you and neither is The Mighty Boosh.

Who Is Teddy
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Anybody know if it's On Demand? I might try it and see if it's any good.

Hopefully it will be soon, check and see if it is out on hulu or youtube yet.

Death Metal Jim
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
hmm, this show looks interesting, anyone know if it's on netflix instant streaming?

and it does look like superjail, which was a great show from the 3 or so episodes i've watched of it. adult swim should have more shows like that. i'm still mad they never made anymore Korgoth episodes :mad:

Who Is Teddy
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
hmm, this show looks interesting, anyone know if it's on netflix instant streaming?

and it does look like superjail, which was a great show from the 3 or so episodes i've watched of it. adult swim should have more shows like that. i'm still mad they never made anymore Korgoth episodes :mad:

yeah, just checked it out its on netflix
http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=Ugly+Americans

Death Metal Jim
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM
yeah, just checked it out its on netflix
http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=Ugly+Americans

awesome, thanks dude :)

KFZ Scrubs
04-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I thought that it was a pretty funny show!
I mean, i saw the treegasm episode and i thought that it was pretty freaking funny... something nice to watch after south park

Burning Karma
04-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Alright, so I've gotta say I am starting to like it. I gave it a couple more chances and I'm starting to laugh at it a lot more. Definitely a nice compliment to South Park.

BarbaricGoose
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Its a dry sense of humor, lighten up and learn to laugh a bit. For those of out there who didn't like it then Super Jail is not for you and neither is The Mighty Boosh.

I like The Mighty Boosh, and I like Super Jail. I dislike Ugly Americans.

I should probably lighten up and learn to laugh a bit. :(