PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla Returns

B1GM13
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Batman production company takes on the giant monster

Legendary Pictures announced today that they will develop and produce a new film based on Toho Company's famed Godzilla (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/067/067206.html) character. Through the terms of the agreement, Legendary Pictures has acquired the rights to produce a movie inspired by Toho's Godzilla (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/961/961227.html), a franchise the Japanese company created and has nurtured for over 50 years.

Toho's Godzilla franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, videogames and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary intends to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible. The company will, in the near future, announce a filmmaker to helm the film for an intended 2012 release. The film will fall under the company's co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Toho will distribute the film in Japan.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/142/14299587.html), Chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

"Godzilla is a signature Japanese character which we have nurtured over the years. It is a great honor to reach an agreement with Legendary Pictures, the parent to many a blockbuster film, and we are delighted in rebooting the character together to realize its much anticipated return by fans from all over the world," comments Hideyuki Takai, President of Toho Co., Ltd. "We are anxious to find out where Godzilla's new stomping will take us."

"Godzilla is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which Warner Bros. and our partners at Legendary are best known. We have enjoyed a great deal of success together to date and this newest opportunity represents yet another chance for us to collaborate on a property that is very clearly in their wheelhouse," said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

In addition to Legendary, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin, Roy Lee (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/914/914276.html) and Brian Rogers. Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will Executive Produce.

Source - IGN.com

Tussell
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Definitely excited to see Godzilla on the big screen!

Purge
03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.alltopmovies.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/18-godzilla-1998.jpg

Anyone remember the ending? It insinuated a sequel, a sequel that never arrived. :(

Gorilla Stomper
03-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Anyone remember the ending? It insinuated a sequel, a sequel that never arrived. :(

THAT IS NOT GODZILLA! That... Is a dinosaur.

Purge
03-29-2010, 11:06 PM
PEESHAW. There is nothing cool about a monster that looks like a giant plastic toy. The American Godzilla is a true monster.

Lord Yamikage
03-30-2010, 05:46 AM
[....] The American Godzilla is a true monster.

Amen, well said. Loved the movie. It got interesting story plot, alright actions, and very good characters. Each individual characters were very well developed if you ask me. And the ending.... oh man, the ending..... where is our sequel!!! I mean, I understand how the cartoon series "took over" after where the movie left, but eh.... gotta be a film.

Back to the topic: looking forward for the movie. Long as it's not like Jap version (involving Aliens, or monster vs monster [this is too early for the 1st movie]).

KSizzle
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Didn't think they would ever make another one after that horrible Matthew Broderick one.

Adamant Truth
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Amen, well said. Loved the movie. It got interesting story plot, alright actions, and very good characters. Each individual characters were very well developed if you ask me. And the ending.... oh man, the ending..... where is our sequel!!! I mean, I understand how the cartoon series "took over" after where the movie left, but eh.... gotta be a film.

Back to the topic: looking forward for the movie. Long as it's not like Jap version (involving Aliens, or monster vs monster [this is too early for the 1st movie]).

The cartoon expanded it nicely and I loved the movie. I've heard that Toho grudgingly accepted the animated continuation as actually worthy of the name.

It was more of a classic monster movie, and one that didn't go to far into the weird zone or "super science" to make it work.

Then Toho had to do the Zilla crap

Ryan2099
03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Didn't think they would ever make another one after that horrible Matthew Broderick one.

Amen to that.

Godzilla is one of those franchises that you wouldn't think that people could mess up but they do. Hoping that this one is better than the last which isn't saying much.

tkorbin
03-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Amen to that.

Godzilla is one of those franchises that you wouldn't think that people could mess up but they do. Hoping that this one is better than the last which isn't saying much.

Double Amen.

I just hope they do it well. Godzilla is one of the holy grails of movies. And Cloverfield wasnt much better than the American titled Godzilla film.

The Pants Party
03-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Eh, I even enjoyed the Broderick film. Giant dino/monster/whatever running amok. Sign me up every time. Except Cloverfield. That was lame.

Filter x360a
03-31-2010, 05:43 AM
Eh, I even enjoyed the Broderick film. Giant dino/monster/whatever running amok. Sign me up every time. Except Cloverfield. That was lame.

Off topic, but what about Cloverfield didn't you like?

Lord Yamikage
03-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Off topic, but what about Cloverfield didn't you like?

From what I read, majority of the audiences did not like the movie because

1) First person shot/camera.
2) Lack of story telling

Hmm.... that's all I can think of. It has been two years or so, so I can't remember accurately. Anyway, I loved the movie. I'm hoping that J.J.A. will make sequel that expend, cover, and tells the story very thoroughly. I mean, what happened after?

Massa Siggy
03-31-2010, 06:01 AM

Well said, Pants. Cloverfield was disappointing.

Euvel
03-31-2010, 06:57 AM
I have loved Godzilla ever since I was five years old! I really enjoy anything that has large monsters terrorizing society. I prefer the older movies of Godzilla when he was a reference to the nuclear bomb and not your bad guy fighting hero or the asexual egg layer of New York, but I still enjoy those too.

At the moment Cloverfield is my favorite movie (I like the first person camera and think the entire way they had to piece together shots from state-of-the-art back to camcorder were amazing. I also like how people got nauseous during the film, AKA bonus points.) at this current moment and if they bring Godzilla back in all his glory I'm sure he can reclaim my top movie of all time.

Hopes so far:
Rated R
Lots of people dieing
Great music pieces
Japan gets annihilated
Godzilla is an evil monster

(I need to start collecting these movies).

Nozza XBA
03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Looking forward to this. So long to wait though!

Off Topic - Cloverfield imo was crap lol

The Pants Party
03-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Cloverfield was boring, for one thing. Nothing happened. I realize that was the "point" and how those first-person movies are supposed to be told, but I hated Blair Witch for the same reason. I also hated how there was no ending whatsoever. Not a fan of a movie leaving something open with no plans on a sequel to "finish" the story. The Wrestler was a recent victim of this. You can guess, and speculate, and assume... but you don't know.

I guess that has an appeal for some people, but it's not my thing. I like to know the what, why and how of something if I'm going to spend my time and money on it, ya know? People running around NYC for a few hours getting small glimpses with no conclusions is annoying. I mean, there's three options, right? Monster dies, monster runs and hides or monster kills everyone. Show me one.

Mosizzle313
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Cloverfield was boring, for one thing. Nothing happened. I realize that was the "point" and how those first-person movies are supposed to be told, but I hated Blair Witch for the same reason. I also hated how there was no ending whatsoever. Not a fan of a movie leaving something open with no plans on a sequel to "finish" the story. The Wrestler was a recent victim of this. You can guess, and speculate, and assume... but you don't know.

I guess that has an appeal for some people, but it's not my thing. I like to know the what, why and how of something if I'm going to spend my time and money on it, ya know? People running around NYC for a few hours getting small glimpses with no conclusions is annoying. I mean, there's three options, right? Monster dies, monster runs and hides or monster kills everyone. Show me one.

Yeah, movies with definitive endings are much better than ones that are left open to the viewer. Some can be good but for movies that are actually promising, I would much rather be TOLD what happens rather than having to assume.

Purge
04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Not a fan of a movie leaving something open with no plans on a sequel to "finish" the story.

YouTube- Cloverfield - All Secrets Fully Revealed HD

I remember JJ talking about a Cloverfield sequel aswell.

To cut it short:
* The Monster is awoken by a satellite crashing into the ocean.
* At the end of the credits, the main character whimpers 'help us'. If you play that backwards you get ''it's still alive''.

Sambuca Queen
04-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Yarp, with all the baby Godzilla's hatching out of their eggs werent they?? Havent seen it for YEARS!